*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285476-The-Invitation
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2285476
And invitation to mend fences.
She finally did it, she packed up her little sedan and was heading home for the holidays. She hadn’t been home in ages and it was about time to mend some fences. She’d be licking old wounds or healing them, that had yet to be determined. This was going to be a long drive so Foreigner, REO Speedwagon and Chicago were cranked up loudly, she loved music from the 80’s. It was the music she grew up with.

She had been driving for a while when her cell phone rang. “Hello?” Kim answered by pressing the button on her steering wheel, without looking to see who it was.

“Hi Kim, it’s Mark.”

The voice, the words, left her stunned and silent for a long moment. Her heart raced as she wondered what to say, what did he want and why was he calling?

“Hello, are you there?” he asked.

Kim swallowed not once, but twice before she was able to answer, “yes, I’m here, I’m driving,” she managed to say. Her voice sounded tinny and distant.

“Are you coming to the Friendsgiving dinner?” He asked. “Kelly said you might, but also said you weren’t sure. I just wanted to call and get a definite answer.”

“Uh, yeah, I was going to try and drop by, it’s just so hard, you know?”

“Yeah, that’s why I’m calling. I never really apologized to you and I thought doing it now might make it easier.”

“Well I'm kinda used to it, every time I call mom, she’s like Mark and Kelly this and Mark and Kelly that, so it’s not like it’s a new thing. I still can’t believe y'all did that to me though, I was gone for a week.” Kim told him, making herself mad just thinking about the situation.

“A week that turned into a month that turned into years.” Mark reminded her. “We didn’t set out to hurt you, Kim. Think about it, if we hadn’t called and invited you, do you think you would even be coming home now?” He questioned.

“Probably not.” She replied honestly. “But that doesn’t mean you go and start a relationship with my sister!” She continued accusingly.

“Look, I called two and three times a day and you were always too busy to call me back, you were too busy with your career and didn’t have time for me.” Mark started to explain.

“Are you whining?” she asked.

“No just stating the facts.” He replied. “So after a week of calling to no avail, I took the hint and just stopped,” he told her sadly. “I ran into Kelly one morning. She was driving around in circles in the parking lot. I asked her why and she told me she had just lost her shoe and was trying to find it.”

“Oh, who does that?” Kim asked. “What a weirdo.” She said as an afterthought.

“Well she said it was her favorite, apparently she dropped it coming out of the gym. Anyway, we just started talking and it went from there. We just sorta clicked.” He told her.

“Obviously.” She said forlornly. “Are you happy?” she asked, afraid what the answer would be, but yet still knowing the answer.

“I am," and then after a long pause, "we are.” He replied.

“Then I’m happy for you.” Kim said. At that moment she decided she wasn't going to carry around this mad.

After another long pause, she heard, ‘...and me too?” Kelly asked.

“Yes, I’m happy for you both.” Kim said.

“Mom wants to know what you’re bringing.” Kelly asked her then.

“Me, I’m going to pick up a dozen donuts and bring them to Thanksgiving.” Kim said, shaking her head defeated. “If you can’t beat’em, join’em!” she said to herself and pressed the hang up button.

Yes, her life had certainly changed, she was going to a Friendsgiving dinner, with Mark and Kelly who met while Kelly was looking for her lost shoe. She was driving home listening to 80’s music munching on a dozen donuts! Life was good and she was rich!

692 WC

© Copyright 2022 JoABuilder (joabuilder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285476-The-Invitation