*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285616-Wordy
by Sumojo
Rated: E · Fiction · Comedy · #2285616
The words on the page have an opinion.
Words 380

“Thank the Lord, It’s finally finished.”

“What? You can’t possibly send this trash in to an editor. No one in their right mind would publish it”

“What’s wrong with it?”

“It’s diabolical. Call yourself a writer?”

“Er, yes actually I do. I have a following, you know.”

“So you say.”

“It’s true. My last novel sold fifty copies on Amazon.”

“Stop me if I’m mistaken, but didn’t you give your mother twenty copies for her to circulate between her knitting circle friends?”

“I got really good feedback from them.”

“Of course you did. Sympathy feedback I call it. I’d bet most of them never even read the book.”

“Now, that’s downright insulting.”

“I’m sorry, it’s not your fault you’re a failure.”

“Now you’ve gone too far. I’ll show you what I can do.”

###


“Hi, again, Brian. You know, surprisingly this is not bad. I’d go as far as saying it’s a big improvement on your usual tripe.”

“Tripe?”

“Nice word, huh? The phrase 'what tripe' is the same as saying 'what rubbish'. In this context 'tripe' means something that is false or worthless.

“Thanks for an explanation I didn’t ask for or really need.”

“My pleasure. Anyway this latest effort of yours is quite exciting. I liked the beginning. It’s got quite the hook. I couldn’t wait to read the next chapter.”

“I think I’m on to a winner.”

“Well, as I’ve told you many times, all you have to do is put us words in the right order, you know.”

“You make it sound so easy.”

“It’s not that hard. We are all right here for you. Just twenty six letters waiting for you to put us together in an interesting way. Before you know it, Voila, you have yourself a bestseller.”

“If only it was that simple.”

“Oh, Brian, if it was easy everyone would be churning out the great American novel.”

“You know, you words are tricky beings. Quite devious really.”

“Yes, we’re very powerful. We can make people laugh or cry, start wars or bring peace. Yes, you’re right, Brian, we don’t like being controlled, but in the right hands we’re quite amenable.”

“So am I permitted to say thank god I’ve finished now?”

“Yes, I think so. I’ll do the honours…The end”




Written for Dialogue 500.
Prompt: Your writing literally comes off the page and starts talking to you.
© Copyright 2022 Sumojo (sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285616-Wordy