*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285747-Indeed
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2285747
Flash Fiction
Indeed

The bank had been robbed, midday! All the patrons inside were forced onto the floor as the perpetrators waved guns around and gathered money from the cashiers, and the safe.

A policeman stood near the door, getting names and interviewing each occupant before allowing them to leave.

He started each interview with, “Where were you when the crime was committed?” and then wrote their name on the map he had drawn to show where everyone was when the crime was in process.

As a woman came up to him, a small boy was behind her, watching the action, and somewhat hidden by her coat. “Can I have your name?” he asked.

“Janice Reed,” Mom said, followed by “John Wallington Reed!” from behind her.

“Come out,” said the policemen smiling, “Let me see what you look like, John Wallington Reed.”

Five-year-old John stepped out. “Are you really the police?”

“Yes, yes I am. So, where were you when the crime was committed?” he said looking at John.

“What does committed mean?”

“When it happened...”

“I was over there,” he pointed to the counter near the vault.

“He wanders... but he followed the instructions, I was petrified! But he stayed still, right there until they were gone.”

“Not completely still...” John said, quietly “I picked something up off the floor.”

“What?” Mom said in shock! Then “What...?” the policemen asked.

“One of the robbers dropped this...” he held out an old worn brown wallet.

“John!” Mom said in shock again.

The policeman opened it and smiled. “I think you have a future policeman here! This belongs to one of the crooks!”

So, John didn’t actually grow up to be a policeman, but he did pretty well. He did make it up to the Supreme Court.

Judge John W. Reed. Indeed!
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285747-Indeed