*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286013-Cake-Caper
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2286013
The Writer's Cramp = scarlet, mystery, solved.
Kate was starving! She was in traffic and all she could think of was the piece of cake she left in the refrigerator. It was so moist. She remembered how the icing was so rich and creamy, her mouth watered just thinking about eating the fruit filled sweetness. Her stomach reminded her she hadn’t eaten anything since breakfast. “Grum bellies! I’ll feed you as soon as we get home.” She said to her stomach as she tapped the steering wheel, in beat with the tune on the radio, waiting for the light to turn green.

Once home, Kate parked at the curb and raced into the house, dropped her purse and keys on the counter and flew into the kitchen. Opening the refrigerator door, Kate’s jaw dropped.

“Where is it?” She screamed. “Who ate my cake? I waited all day to get home and eat it!” She continued hollering. Her mom came around the corner.

“What are you going on about?” her mom asked.

“My cake is gone!” She replied angrily. “Did you eat it? It was in a container that had my name on it - K-A-T-E!”

“No dear, I didn’t even see it. Dinner is almost ready anyway” Her mom replied, “ask your dad.” she said as she went back into the living room.

Kate opened the garage door, her dad and brother were hovered around a motorcycle tinkering with whatever it was they were doing. Before she could even ask, Kate saw the styrofoam container, the one with her name on it, sitting on the tool bench.

“So, which one of you ate my cake?” Kate asked accusingly.

Her dad just looked at her, “there was cake? I didn’t know we had cake,’’ he said.

Dillon, her brother, kept his head down and didn’t even look up at her. “I haven’t eaten anything today,” he told her, continuing to turn the tool on whatever it was he was doing.

“One of you…ate my cake!” Kate replied as she skirted around the motorcycle looking both of them up and down. She sidled up to her brother and sniffed. He pushed her away.

“Get away, you are being too crazy.” He said as he reached for a different tool. "it was just cake."

"My cake! “One of you ate it, you left the evidence right there on the bench.” She told them pointing at the container.

“DINNER!” Her mom called from the kitchen.

The three trudged back into the house and sat down at the table. Kate looked at each of them and stated. “YOU, DAD!! You ate my cake!”

“How can you even think that?” He asked her.

“Because you have the scarlet stain of the raspberry sauce down the front of your t-shirt.” She said, “how could you say you didn’t know we had cake?”

“Hey, I’ve told you before, if it’s in the refrigerator longer than 24 hours, it’s fair game! I didn’t know you were talking about that cake, I thought we had more!” He said reaching for the mashed potatoes.

© Copyright 2022 JoABuilder (joabuilder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286013-Cake-Caper