*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286419-Into-Husaria-RoadsLandstrasse
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2286419
Flanders: Chapter 3
This is a work of fiction. It is not a reflection of the views of the author and should not be treated as a source of historical information

River New made up much of the border between Kleiner Baum and the neighboring Husaria. A small village sat among wildflowers and a young forest. The road leading up to it was almost in perfect condition, surrounded by fields of short grasses and stacked hay bales.

A train charged alongside the road on a set of well-maintained tracks. The engine pounded against the weight of the twenty trailing cars, belching dark smoke as it approached the village.

Kleiner Baum prided themselves on their railway system. Hundreds of tons of freight and thousands of people could travel from one side of the country to the other in a matter of days through one of the many lines that connected the country. Three main lines spread from east to west, while three lines ran from north to south, connecting the main routes as 'capillaries'. In the blink of an eye, the transportation network could be converted into one of Kleiner Baum's most powerful weapons.

In the hard wooden seat of the train car, Doolittle sat unmoved by the scene before her. She had put on her uniform for the occasion, somehow adding to her stoic demeanor. The sleeves of the black and red jacket had been rolled up to her elbows, and the brown pants had been cuffed at the knee. A cloth cap, one of the few hats that could fit comfortably, sat on top of her head.

"It's gotten cold lately, hasn’t it? Shall I request a cup of hot cocoa, Kommandanten?"

At her right, both figuratively and literally, sat Ella Augustus. Augustus was officially a high school junior, but had been allowed to speed through classes in order to join Doolittle in the field, not as a soldier, but as a reporter. She wore her unruly hair in a tall bun, forgoing a uniform cap. A lilac scarf dangled over her shoulders.

"Don't spoil her. Dew-Com's already childish enough."

Commander Doolittle cast a glare, making Duncan Finch, Lieutenant Commander, stand down. The breeze from the open window blew his messy black hair. He was a hot-blooded boy, and had the scars to prove how much trouble it had gotten him into. His competitive and brash demeanor had turned him into a ruthless and effective soldier, a result achieved with the help of the upbringing of a farmer's boy.

The officers were hardly alone on the rails. The next few cars had been crammed with as many soldiers and combat engineers as they could handle. One extra car had been set aside for medical staff and their equipment, and another had been devoted to the signaling crew and their communications equipment. The next train to come through would be loaded with munitions--Bullets, mortars, bombs, grenades, and artillery.

“What’s the plan after we settle in?” asked Finch.

"We'll be moving through that village tomorrow," Doolittle explained.

"We’re attacking as soon as possible--Serious resistance is not expected. O'Nell will be coming up on the first train tomorrow in time to support the operation."

Augustus nodded as she studied the landscape. Springtime--as both the Husarians and Kleiners called it--wasn’t too old as far as settlements were concerned. It had, however, been the site of at least one other conflict between the two countries that had claimed it as their own.

"No serious resistance? They'll probably charge at our tanks with horses," Finch chuckled.

"They're fierce fighters," Doolittle continued. "What they lack in resources and experience, they make up for with an inability to give up. Gallagher did a flyover last week--It looks like they’ve entrenched themselves just outside of Springtime."

The train began to slow as the rails crossed the road. Hundreds of people, wagons, mules, and cars crowded the highway, desperate to flee the impending invasion. The refugees moved at a snail's pace, occasionally stopping to allow more refugees onto the road to join the exodus. Quite a few stopped to stare at the train as it rumbled towards the border.

"Now that’s tragic," Augustus sighed.

"It sucks for us," snorted Finch. "How are we going to have a chance now that they know we're coming?"

Augustus was silent. Through the window, she met the gaze of a young man dressed in several layers. A smile appeared on his face, but soon faded as his eyes fell upon the flag painted on the side of the train car. He returned to looking straight ahead.

Finch paused to take a look at the procession. From his seat, he could only see the backs of people’s heads. Occasionally, a child would look back or tug on their companion’s hand and point at the train. Finch readily smiled and waved.

“It’s best not to wonder what they’re thinking,” Doolittle whispered. “That’ll just slow us down.”

At this, both Finch and Augustus looked away from the window.

An attendant handed Augustus a cup of hot cocoa. She thanked the young man and passed the drink to the commander. Doolittle clasped the steaming drink with both hands and took a sip.

“When are we getting off?" asked Finch

"Fifteen minutes, give or take,” replied Doolittle.

"I'm gonna go get a beer," the lieutenant yawned.

"I disagree," said Augustus as she grabbed the sleeve of the young man’s uniform.

"I don't think you're using 'disagree' correctly, and I don't need permission to--"

The train came to a complete stop, throwing Finch to the ground. The speakers inside of the cars screeched to life as the conductor made his announcement;

"We are now entering the village of Springtime, claimed by the Husarian Unified Confederation. Disembarking will begin after the train currently in the station departs. In the meantime, your commander, Harriet Doolittle, will provide the mission briefing."

Augustus stood and lifted up her seat. A radio slid out from beneath the wooden panels. Doolittle took her cue and picked up the microphone. Augustus handed her a piece of paper. On it was written a carefully-prepared speech. Doolittle’s raspy voice carried through the rest of the cars.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your Kommandanten, Harriet Marie Josephine Doolittle. The reputation and fate of Kleiner Baum rests on your shoulders. We are strangers in a strange land, as many of you have likely never experienced any fighting in Husaria. Many of you have never experienced any fighting whatsoever.

“In spite of this, I believe that you all have the potential to bring us to victory. Starting tomorrow, we will be moving forward. We will not stop until their capital is in our hands. We outnumber and outperform the enemy in every field. This war was decided as soon as we pulled into the station. We are predestined for victory, and I want each and every one of you to do your part until we achieve our goal!"

Augustus and Finch quietly clapped and Doolittle smiled and nodded. The sound of cheers echoed through the train.

A 'thud' could be heard as a ladder was placed against the train. A young man, clad in an black uniform, climbed up onto the roof with a sub-machine gun in his hand. In his orders, Dr Black had insisted on the Bull Guard unit following every commander.

A man standing on the station platform lowered his flag. The tracks switched, and a line of empty freight cars slowly rumbled past Doolittle's train. The first wave of supplies had been run from Kleiner Baum to Husaria. For the next few days, fuel, food, clothing, building materials, weapons, and vehicles would make a long journey by rail into Springtime’s station--a station not nearly big enough to handle the traffic.

"Come on. We can get off."

Commander Doolittle stared through the window. Augustus draped a wool scarf over her superior's shoulders.

"Winter’s coming soon, Kommandanten,” the woman explained.

"I don't need a scarf now, Mom," Doolittle said as she started to pry off the garment.

"It's for your own good, Harriet. You’re gonna catch a chill."

"I'm sure Dew-Com's not about to drop dead of hypothermia," Finch laughed. "Lighten up, would you?"

"I refuse to entertain the thought of shipping a frozen corpse back home." Augustus stuck her nose up.

There was a steady silence in the train car. Doolittle carefully wrapped the scarf around her neck. A station attendant opened the door to the train car.

The cold and dry autumn air spilled in through the opening. Commander Harriet Marie Josephine Doolittle took a deep breath.

"Hello, Husaria."
© Copyright 2022 Rutidon (retrocaboose at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286419-Into-Husaria-RoadsLandstrasse