*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286636-First-Cousins
Rated: E · Short Story · Biographical · #2286636
Cousins separated by time and space but linked by service and unit.
The Army knew them by number, rank, last name first, first name last, their date and place of enlistment, date of death or discharge from the service. The Army knew whether they lived or died and if they were fit enough to be productive.

The Army knew their unit/s by location, designation and role on the TO&E (Table of Organisation and Equipment) and tracked the unit’s evolution through time.

We don’t know too much about Gordon’s childhood, nor the story surrounding his enlistment. We can only surmise that he was, like so many others, either called to serve The Crown, or as the son of a Roman Catholic Irishman, being eager for a good fight was just as likely a reason. We know his occupation was listed as “grazier” and he was at the time, unmarried and from Wagga Wagga in the Riverina.

To his parents, he was their son Gordon; to the Army he was:

255 Trooper Flanagan, Gordon.
6th Light Horse Regiment (6LH).
Enlisted Sept 1914.
KIA 3 Aug 1915, Gallipoli.

68 years later, a young 17 year old lad walked into the Army General Reserve (A-Res) depot in Dubbo NSW Australia to enquire about enlisting. His mother needed to be convinced to allow his enlistment and the Australian Regular Army (ARA) was out of the question. The G-Res was his back door into the forces. A way to “ease” Mum into the notion of letting her “little boy” join up; so went his thinking.

He was welcomed by the Soldiers, but it was deeper than this. Upon entering that drill hall, he at once felt at home, felt as if someone or something was watching over him and he finally "fit in somewhere". He belonged and this feeling would follow him his entire 12 years in service. This was around August 1983 and the unit was the 10th Platoon, Delta Company of the 17th Battalion, the Royal New South Wales Regiment.

To his parents, he was their son “Tony”, “Toenails” or “Tony-Joe”; to the Army he was:

2302817 Private Gardner, Anthony Joseph.
No.2 Section, 10th Platoon, Delta Company, 17th Battalion Royal New South Regiment (10Pl, D-Coy, 17RNSWR)

In the intervening 68 years, warfare had advanced with practice and technology. The 6LH had been raised, disbanded, re-raised in different incarnations and roles and unit designations. Going from horses to motorised/mechanised mounts and finally to be re-formed as a Rifle Company in a Light Infantry Battalion of the Australian Army General Reserves.

In September 1983, what was once the 6th Light Horse Regiment was Delta Company, 17th Battalion, The Royal New South Regiment. Headquartered in Orange NSW, CHQ and 12 Platoon share the depot, with depots in Dubbo for 10 Platoon and Parks for 11 Platoon.

In effect, Gordon and Anthony enlisted in the very same unit with Anthony unknowingly walking into the depot 68 years after Gordon was listed as KIA. Pte Gardner is Tpr Flanagan’s 1st cousin, 3 times removed; Gordon’s father being Anthony’s Great-Great-Great-Grand Uncle Matthew, son of Christopher J. K. and brother to Daniel Flanagan of Gundaroo in NSW.

Pte Gardner later went on to be a member of the Assault Pioneer Platoon, Support Company 17RNSWR then 2/17RNSWR when 2RNSWR and 17RNSWR were linked in Dec 1987. By Aug 1988, Pte Gardner was in the ARA going from RAInf, to RAAMC and serving in various medical units including 2nd Field Ambulance.

Pte Gardner’s last posting was to ‘A’ Field Battery Royal Regiment of Australian Artillery (A Fd Bty, RAA) ‘Airborne Gunners’ as their Medic. According to the official paperwork, he was enlisted mid 1984 despite parading from Aug/Sept 1983. He was discharged medically unfit for further service on 28 June 1996.

Cousins separated by 3 generations, yet linked by service and unit.
© Copyright 2022 The Bearded Chieftain (mist at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2286636-First-Cousins