*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2288091-Killer-in-the-Shadows
by Anna
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Death · #2288091
Lousie is at her fathers side at his last moments.Little does she know what he has to say.
Dad lies on his deathbed. His eyes blue and his skin a pale white. It was like all of the blood has been drained out of his body. I sat beside him, tears fell down onto my cheeks and turns his head towards me. He moves gently. His body frail. Almost like he could fall off of the bed and would shatter into thousands of pieces. His mouth merely opens. His lips are dry and cracked. His mouths closes. His eyes are opened now. He knows that if he closes his eyes it will be the last time. I can feel my hands shaking. my teeth clatter together. My eyes and nose turn rose - red. A soft smile lies upon his face. His eyes are slightly closing. He wants to tell me something. His mouth keeps opening but no words escape.
'Is there anything you wish to tell me?' I say, wiping my nose.
Dad slightly nods. His eyes move to his hand but his head doesn't move. His hand moves inches and a yellow colored envelope is placed in his hand. I take it out of his hand carefully. It says my name and 'open me' and so I do. I take out a handwritten letter. Black ink is on the page. I read it quickly. It says:

Dear Louise,
There is something that I wish to tell you. A tale I've never told you before. One of when I was young. I killed my parents. I set the house on fire. To the police I was 'lucky to live' I told them that I set the house on fire. Their words were: 'It was not your fault boy, it was an accident' I grabbed a gun from one of the officers and shot a woman passing on the street and a few more people. I ran away the officers chased after me. I was to fast for them. I ran to a cave far away from my home town. It was filled with darkness. A man stood in the shadows. I told him what happened. I was only a child after all. He comforted me. All I can remember of his face is black unlively eyes. The rest a black blur. He gave me food and water. He said he would make everyone forget. On one condition. I never spoke of him and I was cursed with a short life. He said I had exactly 52 years 4 months 6 days and 42 seconds left to live. To me it was a blessing. He said if I ever spoke of it. He would end my bloodline. I realize that my life is coming to an end. I have mere seconds to live. LISTEN. Go into my bedroom. On the right wall facing the sunlight at 9:12 that's two minute after I die. You go upstairs a few bricks will have light on them. Tap them left to right. The wall will open it will say you need a pass code. The pass code is 267-487-054 there is a small room in there and a knife. Take the knife. Keep it safe. It will keep you safe. He now knows I have told you and will be on his way. It won't take him long. Make sure to burn this letter and you will never need to use this pass code again. Once you get the knife close it up by typing the pass code backwards so it looks like: 450-784-762-489 ADD 489 on the end. LISTEN if you get this pass code wrong three times you will never be able to open it again. EVER AGAIN. Type everything of the pass code. Nothing different. Keep the knife hidden from all's eyes. I love you Louise. And I'm sorry I brought this upon you. Also all of the lights will go out. Make sure you aren't next to anyone. He has grown stronger and he is able to take the form of anyone alive or dead. He tricked me when I was in the cave. He took shape of my father. My mother. Even myself. The only person you can trust is yourself.
Yours truly,
Dad x 1/3/29


The date means that this letter was written 25 years ago.I look up at him. His eyes are filled with tears. His hands are shaking and tears fall effortlessly out of his eyes. My heart drops to the floor. My shoulders feel heavy. I grab his hand. And he squeeses my hand tight. He speaks to me. 'He will come out of the shadows, be ready.' His eyes close. And his hand is no longer alive. He is dead. I scream. I get up. Open the door and people stand outside his room. The doors slam my mouth opens 'dead.' I run upstairs. Its 9:10. I have time. But just as I reach my dads bedroom. The lights flicker out. 'No, NO!' I open the door and run towards the bricks the light is bright and I tap the three bricks. The wall opens and I step back. I type the passcode I run in and on the table in front of me. A large knife sat untouched. I look up and jumped. I see myself. But it was just a mirror. But what I see next was unreal. Behind the door was open. Something moves out of the closet. The last thing I can remember seeing was black eyes and a blurred face. Him.
© Copyright 2023 Anna (helenarthur1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2288091-Killer-in-the-Shadows