*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2288300-The-Surprise-in-the-Shadows
Rated: E · Prose · Gothic · #2288300
The story contains elements of mystery, fiction and has a touch of gothic.
As the sun began to set, a young woman realized that she had stayed at the library longer than she had intended. She had been so engrossed in her studies that she had lost track of time.

She gathered up her things and rushed out of the library, hoping to make it home before dark. But as she walked, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being followed.

She quickened her pace, her heart pounding in her chest. She glanced over her shoulder, but all she saw was the empty street behind her.

Just as she was about to turn onto her street, a hand reached out from an alley and grabbed her arm. The woman let out a scream as she was yanked into the darkness.

But to her surprise, it was only her best friend, who had been trying to surprise her with a dinner party at her house. The young woman had been so caught up in her own thoughts that she hadn't even noticed her friend's presence.

Feeling embarrassed and relieved, the woman laughed and apologized for being too late. And as they walked to her friend's house, she made a mental note to always be more aware of her surroundings.
© Copyright 2023 Igor Skoglund (iskoglund at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2288300-The-Surprise-in-the-Shadows