*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2289280-Newsfeed-Challenge--As-it-was
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Relationship · #2289280
The prompt: write a 300+ word short story inspired by As it Was(HarryStyles) in less 20min
She had always been different. She had loved being different. She swam against the current with complete naturalness. Until he showed up.

He was neither tall, nor slim, nor athletic. He was smart - and captured her heart in one breath.

Nothing was the same anymore. She wanted to please him, at any cost. She put on makeup, although she rarely did. She drew a lot, although she was a programmer. She did everything to please him. She didn't feel completely comfortable with it. Like she wasn't in her own skin. But she did everything for him.

Until she realized: Here's the line. And I can't cross it.

She began to become her again. She programmed day and night and didn't remove her dark circles. She didn't waste all her money on evening gowns she didn't need. Her sense of well-being returned.

He began to take notice of her. The first date was a complete success. Both of them became closer day by day.

Time passed.
One day he broke up with her. Just like that. Tears came to her eyes. Her life had no meaning. Yet she remained as she was. She would not change for him, any more than she would change because of him.

Loneliness filled her heart. That's how it stayed. She thought so, forever. But it wasn't like that. For man adapts himself. And that's exactly what she did.
She learned to be happy with herself. She felt freer than in any relationship and above all... less lonely.

He came back to her, after a few months. Apologized, asked her out. She refused.
He ran after her, now doing everything for her. But she remained absent. He had damaged her heart too much.

He fell in love again with someone else. She didn't get to hear about it. They had lost sight of each other a long time ago.

Years later, she fell in love again for the first time. She had fought it with all her might, but there was nothing she could do about it. It was just so beautiful. He really loved her until they got married after two years.

They had three children and became happy, really happy.

Until he said to her in tears on his deathbed, "I'm sorry." it was dead silent. She immediately realized what he meant. "I want you to be happy on your own again now. I know you can."
Then he died.
© Copyright 2023 Evie 🏳️‍🌈 write&blog (idaschreibt357 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2289280-Newsfeed-Challenge--As-it-was