*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2289630-Such-is-Life
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2289630
Flash Fiction
Such is Life

The sun was about to come up. I knew because I could hear that blasted crow outside my window. I have no idea what is wrong with this crow. A crow is not a rooster!

It all started about three weeks ago. I’d gotten up early because I had a cold and was completely stuffed up. Finally, after giving in to a hot shower to get things running again, I was sitting in the dark, drinking cocoa, when I heard it. Looking out my window, because there was not much else to do at that hour of the almost morning, I saw a crow. He…it? was sitting on a branch, and had to be what I’d heard. One loud “Caw.”

As I stared out the window at the stupid bird, pressing my face to the window to see better, it looked right at me and cawed really loudly! I popped on the light to scare it away so I could go back to sleep. It flew off and I went back to bed.

The very next morning, just before dawn, outside my window, “Caw, caw, caw!” and every day since. I finally just started using it as my alarm clock. It’s not like I can ignore it. I’ve tried to scare it away many times but that just makes it caw louder! It’s the oddest and most annoying thing in my life right now, although, honestly, I haven’t been late for work in since.

Up in the tree, standing in the fork of two branches, Oliver crow was crowing. It was his turn to crow for the face in the window that apparently made the sky light up. Frankly, he thought it was flooey. Unfortunately, he had to go along with the flock, or get kicked out. Such is life.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2289630-Such-is-Life