*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2289778-Blinded-by-the-light
Rated: 13+ · Non-fiction · Biographical · #2289778
Healing in Kansas
"The eyes only see what the mind is prepared to comprehend."
-- Robertson Davies

May, 1975

I graduated from college so thrilled to have a piece of paper and be done with it. No one mentioned that a BA degree was worth less than toilet paper. 2020 covid hindsight...

I wanted to know what it was like to live in asmall town. So I did. Sabetha was 2,500 souls in a North-east Kansas county of 11,000.

One square mile surrounded by corn fields, bean fields, wheat fields, milo fields. Succinctly, it was surrounded by not much of nothing.

I was thrilled! Penniless, jobless? It was a lesson in kindness I've never forgotten. Images come to mind of ladders and splashing white oil paint, of machetes, velvet weed, and shatter-cane, of Laura in her long golden hair. Mine was bleached by the sun. And my depression of 1974 lifted, blinded by the light.





The task is simple: Write a short story using the prompt above as inspiration!


*NoteY* Your entry must be:

*Bullet* Fiction.
*Bullet* Based on the prompt above. While not required, you are more than welcome to include the quote (or a part of it) in your entry.
*Bullet* Rated 18+ or lower. Graphic content is not permitted, including GC or XGC items.
*Bullet* 2,000 words or less. A word count must be included in the body of your item (top or bottom, not in the intro/header).
*Bullet* Newly written for this contest. Create your entry as a Static Item and keep it in your portfolio. Submit it using the survey form below.
*Bullet* Submitted One Time Only. You may only submit one entry, so make it a good one!
*Bullet* Edited Only Until the Deadline. Entries edited after the submission deadline may be disqualified from winning without notice.
© Copyright 2023 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2289778-Blinded-by-the-light