*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290005-Rules-4-U
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Comedy · #2290005
So many rules! Daily Flash Fiction 2/5/23


“What are the rules?” Teacher pointed at me. “I told you earlier. Billy. Tell me one of the rules.”

“Um, ‘i’ before ‘e’ except after ‘c’? Don’t end a sentence with a preposition?”

The class giggled, then laughed.

“We’re not in English class. Try again.”

“30 days hath September, April, June and November?”

More laughter.

“One more try, young man.”

I thought again, searching my brain for some rules. What was she talking about? I was thinking about playing outside when I got home from school, building a fort with Henry. Shooting the bad guys when she was explaining something about rules.

“2x2 equals 4. 9x9 is 81?”

Teacher sighed, the class laughed again, louder this time.

“Enough. You can’t remember the rules? Off you go, to the principal’s office with you. He’ll help you remember.”

Slowly I exited the classroom, then walked out the school’s front door. The heck with teacher’s rules.

I’ll make my own rules from now on.

When I walked into the kitchen at home, mom turned from the sink.

“You’re home early, what’s the trouble this time?”

I shrugged my shoulders.

“You know leaving school is wrong. That's against the rules. School rules and my rules.”

“But mom…”

“Let’s go.”

And back to school we headed. I really don’t like rules.

W/C 216




© Copyright 2023 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290005-Rules-4-U