*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290214-Employee-Benefits
Rated: E · Essay · Opinion · #2290214
Employee Benefits

Employee Benefits


These are all good choices. You would be a great boss, no doubt.

The first 12 are essential in this day and age. I would also add in perhaps as number one or two

I would offer all the benefits at signing.

Prevailing wage or higher
Stock shares and options (particularly if in high-tech)

Regarding 401 I would make that opt-out not opt-in., and the matching rate should match the TSP (federal 401) limits which is the gold standard for these sorts of things, and offer it either Roth, standard, or a combo. And also offer an IRA as well.

If you have more than 30 employees, I’d have a union, if not, not have a union. If you have a union, have a five-year contract with dues taken out of the paycheck. All raises should be tied to the USG Social Security Cola or higher.

All travel reimbursements should be at USG per diem, all leave following USG guidelines, medical premiums should pick a carrier that is a FEFB company. I’d choose AETNA or Kaiser. Blue Cross has gone way down in my opinion. The USG per diem rates are sort of the national standard and are found online, so it makes it easy to follow.

Regarding renter’s vs house owner's insurance, I would offer both.
And I would also offer relocation expenses per USG standards.

Regarding leave, I would perhaps adopt the USG standard which is believe is three weeks off, plus all federal holidays and I would add in state holidays and election days, and I would also reimburse travel expenses at USG per diem rates including locality pay. and if you have any employees who are in the reserves, time off for reserve drills and guarantee re-employment if deployed. And I'd give veterans extra points upon hiring. and extra points for foreign language skills.

I like item 13 so few firms do that. The easiest way to do this is to have the company lawyers offer this service for free.

I also like that you do not include Non-compete clauses and non-disclosure agreements.

And a birthday off is a nice touch.

The only other thing I would do is perhaps a four day work week, and for those whose job would be suitable, one day per week work at home option. It seems though that your business will have to have extended evening and weekend hours so that might make scheduling a bit more difficult, the four-day workweek might work provided you spread it out so the three days off are not all the same days. And that is depending on how many staff members you have.

Regarding offering different benefits, the only one I would not offer initially is paid educational benefits. You can start that in the second year. Again I’d follow the USG policy of two-year probationary employment perhaps as sub-contractors then hire them as permanent staff. And offer a few seasoned retirees part-time employment.

Regarding item 14, I’d pay for books, professional journal subscriptions, and membership fees.

I’d pay for gym and yoga classes perhaps offering yoga classes before or after business hours in your building. I would also offer alternative medicine treatments consistent with your insurance coverage. I get 50 acupuncture, 50 massages, and 50 chiropractic treatments a year at 60 $ per session, I am out of pocket a few dollars per visit.

Item 16 – I’d also offer a transit pass if one is available in your area and free parking in your building, and encourage transit commuting

Re your building, if you own it have solar, and water harvesting systems installed

Free coffee, and continental breakfast for employees and early-arriving clients.

Free office Wifi of course for customers and employees.


1. Health insurance
2. Vision insurance
3. Dental insurance
4. Pet insurance (max at like 5 pets)
5. Life insurance
6. Renters insurance (not sure if this would get me in trouble if I didn't offer the more expensive homeowners insurance)
7. Long-term care insurance (for a nursing home, etc.)
8. Disability income insurance (in case they become disabled and can't work)
9. Mortgage payment insurance (or whatever when the mortgage is paid if they become disabled and can't pay)
10. Malpractice insurance (we'll all be therapists)
11. 401K (retirement account)
12. 401K with matching contributions
13. Pay for them to create a Will and update it annually (maybe have a lawyer come to the office for this)
14. Tuition reimbursement for those wanting more ed. or who have student loans
15. Annual cost of living raise
16. Leased car for use after 10 yrs with us (mileage limit per lease contract)
17. Scholarship in their name at their college after 15 years with us or if they die while working for us
18. Free classes to study for license exam and cover exam fees on 1st try
19. Free continuing education units (CEUs) are required to keep the license
20. Free trip to the state and/or national conference
21. Free supervision training to become a supervisor of unlicensed clinicians (can earn $ on the side)
22. Free supervision for unlicensed clinicians
em23. Up to 2 weeks’ vacation (1 wk. then 2 after 3 yrs PLUS 2 weeks at Christmas and 1 wk. for July 4th)
24. Up to 3 weeks sick leave (1 wk. then 2 at 3 yrs then 3 at 5 yrs)
25. Birthday off

Vote and Get 10k



As usual, I'm thinking of things in the future that will never happen, but it's more fun than dealing with the present I've got going on.

I've been dreaming of a business I want to own one day (until I own it and realize it's WAY too much work ). I've been pondering what benefits I'd want to give my employees. Yes, I know in the beginning, I can't give them anything, but I hope to build up to more and more and to be able to add more benefits to employees who stay with me longer.
What employee benefits would you want? Please list them in order of preference & feel free to add anything I didn't think of. If you don't care about some, leave them off.

If you think it's good for building employee longevity, when should I offer different benefits?

Each respondent gets 10k. They are numbered for your convenience.


NEW PRIZE ALERT:

Thanks to The StoryMaster and The StoryMistress , we now have custom Awardicons for this contest! That's right, the First, Second, and Third Place winning entries will also each get one of these (both virtual and physical):
1. Using the {b-item:} format, please provide the Item ID number of the Static Item that you would like to submit. For example, if your item number is 123456, you should enter
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#123456 by Not Available.
into this field. Please do not enter just the item number by itself! For more information, click here: WritingML Help for b-item (R)

2. I understand that to be eligible to win, I must have a paid membership of Basic or higher through the end of the contest round. (R)
Check this box to agree with the above statement.
3. I understand that if my entry is edited after the submission deadline it may be disqualified from winning without notice. (R)
Check this box to agree with the above statement.
4. I have read the rules carefully and understand that if my entry doesn't follow these rules, it may be disqualified without further notice. (R)
Check this box to agree with the above statement.


© Copyright 2023 JCosmos (jcosmos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2290214-Employee-Benefits