*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291172-The-forest
Rated: E · Short Story · Nature · #2291172
An atmosphere text
The wind rustled the leaves.
I shivered and wiped my hair from my face. My clothes were clinging to me. They were as wet as I was.

The tall trees didn't give me protection from the rain that was beating down on me.

How much further was it? I had to make sure I reached the village before midnight. After midnight, they said, anyone who wasn't tired of living was far from the forest, where dangerous things happened at that time. "These are rumors, nothing but rumors," I told myself. I knew the drawings of the murderers and the reports of missing persons. I took a deep break. I shouldn't think about the danger that could lurk behind every bush.

There was a rustling.
I spun around, turning my head and simultaneously stepping back. My reflexes were well-honed, because I had been fencing for years.

A wolf ran away.

I'd never been close to nature, but you get used to the endless forest and the midnight-rule when you roam the woods for days on end.

I looked at my watch, knowing full well that it didn't work in this world. The minute hand spun around the center of the watch at a murderous pace, quickly making me dizzy.

I remembered something and had to laugh uncontrollably.

But time was running.

I began to trot, to run. I ignored the side stitches and fought my way through. Between the treetops I saw stars.

I had to hurry. If I wanted to survive.
© Copyright 2023 Evie ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ write&blog (idaschreibt357 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291172-The-forest