*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291337-The-Girl-From-Mile-End-Ch-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Drama · #2291337
Bad news follows good.


Chapter 3


I had been seeing Ronnie for over two weeks and had received my provisional driving licence. Ronnie had a lot of success in teaching me how to drive. I must admit that I found it very difficult at first getting used to using the pedals and changing gear but I soon picked it up thanks to Ronnie’s patience and skill in teaching me. I felt as if he had opened up a different world for me and I would be forever grateful to him. Meeting Ronnie is the best thing that ever happened to me.

         My Uncle Stan was out on an evening patrol for his Air Raid Precaution section. It was getting late and almost time for bed. Alice and I sat with Aunt Maud drinking cocoa and listening to the radio. An air-raid warning sounded but we just ignored it, as usual. There was suddenly a huge explosion which rattled the house contents and shattered a few of the windows. Alice screamed and dived under the table as more explosions followed. Aunt Maud dashed to the door and looked outside at the devastation further along the street. She hurried along to see if she could help anyone.

         “No, Aunt Maud, come back,” I shouted. But she kept on going. I grabbed my coat and followed on. Eight houses had been damaged, three of them completely blasted away. There was rubble and timber strewn all across the street. People were screaming and an old man was walking about dazed and crying. Maud was doing what she could to try and help. Tearing cloth for use as bandages. She was wrapping a sobbing woman’s arm and trying to stop the flow of blood. I stood looking on shocked by the sight as the dust swirled around me going into my hair and up my nose making me sneeze. I looked over at a young boy partially covered in rubble, a great gash in his head and blood all over him. I wanted to cry; I had often seen the boy out in the street kicking his football. He was a lovely boy and I often spoke to him. I wanted to scream.

         Maud looked over at me. “Get back to the house, Elsie. This is no place for you.”

         “No, I want to help. I want to help the boy.”

         “You can't help him, Elsie, he's gone. If you want to help, hurry back to the house and fetch some clean linen from the basket and bring a pair of scissors.”

         I ran to the house with tears running down my cheeks and making tracks through the dust on my face. I grabbed a linen sheet and got the scissors from the drawer.

         “Alice called out,” Elsie is it over, have they gone?”

         “I think so. I have to go and help some of the people. You stay where you are for now and try to calm down.”

         As I rushed back towards the devastation I could hear an ambulance. But there were bombs dropped elsewhere so the ambulance may not even be coming here. Stan arrived at the scene. “This is a wakeup call,” he said. “We should start using the Anderson shelter again at night when the sirens sound off.”

         Three days later and I was still affected by the sights of the other night. I hadn’t seen Ronnie for a while. I became worried that he may have lost interest in me. I was working in the baker's shop just after eleven o’clock when a woman walked in and looked over to Ivy the owner. “Terrible news from the aerodrome,” she said. “Two of the pilots were missing yesterday and haven’t shown up, so they think they might be in the Channel.”

         I gave Ivy a concerned look.

         “Enough of that, Mabel,” Ivy said, “We don’t want to hear no rumours like that thank you.”

         “It’s not a rumour, the Military Police said..”

         “I said that’s enough. Now do you want serving because we are very busy?”

         “Well, I never. You don’t look busy. There are other bakers around you know.” The woman got her bread and left, mumbling to herself.

         “Can I get off early. I need to get over to Kenley.”

         “Of course you can,” Ivy said. “But don’t fret. There are lots of pilots at Kenley. And that Mabel often gets things wrong anyway.”

         I hurried towards the bus stop but the bus pulled away before I got there. “Why does that always happen?” I muttered to myself. I stood waiting impatiently for the next bus.

         Eventually I got the bus to the Village and walked up the hill to the RAF Kenley Guardroom. An RAF sergeant was standing at the barrier.

         “Can I get in to see my boyfriend at the sergeant’s mess? I asked

         “No, you can not, young lady. This is an operational base, not a holiday centre.”

         “But I’m worried. I haven’t heard from him for a few days.”

         “Unfortunately, sometimes, in these times, it is deliberate.”

         “No, he wouldn’t do that, he loves me.”

         The statement had little effect on the man. “Sergeant’s mess you say. What’s his name?”

         “Ronnie.”

         “Ronnie! Ronnie who?”

         “I don’t know his second name.”

         “Oh, so you are very close then. Don’t even know each other’s names,” he said.

         I did not like the sarcastic tone to his words. “Look, I’ve never asked his other name. I just know him as Ronnie. He’s a Spitfire pilot.”

         “Then you must mean Ronnie Bates.”

         “You know him then. So, can I go and find him?”

         “No, but wait there while I phone the mess.” The sergeant walked into the guardroom and a corporal walked out to watch the barrier. It was not long until the sergeant returned.

         “Okay,” he said. “It appears that you have had a wasted journey. He’s not on the strength at the mess.”

         “Not on the strength?”

         “Yes, not on the strength. He takes no meals at the mess, so he is not here.”

         “But..”

         “Stand back I need to let this motorcycle out.”

         The motorcycle pulled up alongside the barrier. He lifted the goggles above his eyes.” Hello, Elsie. What are you doing here?”

         I recognised him as Ronnie’s friend, Chalky. “I’m trying to find Ronnie. I was told two pilots are missing and I’m so worried.”

         “Not missing now. They turned up and neither one is Ronnie. He had to go to Biggin Hill for a week because they are short of flyers. He should be back at the weekend.”

         “He didn’t tell me.”

         “No, the guard sergeant said. If he did he would be on a charge. And you need to watch what you’re saying as well, Chalky.”

         “Shut up, George, and stop looking at this girl’s legs.”

         “I’m not looking at her legs.”

         “Well, you damn well should be. They’re fabulous.”

         That brought a smile to my sad face.

         “Get on the back, Elsie. I’ll give you a lift back to Caterham.”

         “I don’t know. I’ve have never been on a motorbike before,” I said.

         “Well, you are in for a treat. Climb aboard.”

         With a struggle I got onto the pillion seat. “Right, put your arms around my waist.”

         “What?”

         “It’s all right, I’m not being fresh. It’s to stop you falling off the back when I pull away.”

         We set off and I held tightly onto Chalky. Sitting on a throbbing motorcycle with my legs apart and my arms around my boyfriend’s friend was a strange and bizarre experience for me. I had to admit to myself though, that it was a thrilling and enjoyable experience as well.

         “Am I going to fast?” he called back.

         “No, no, I shouted. Faster, go faster.”

         Chalky accelerated to a breakneck and illegal speed.

         My hair was whipping about my face, my eyes were watering slightly and my heart was pounding in my chest. I took my arms away from Chalky’s waist and raised them into the air. “Yaheeeeee! I yelled at the top of my voice.

         We pulled up at The Old Surrey Hounds with Chalky laughing loudly.

         “That was bloody fantastic, Chalky, and that’s swearing. We’ll have to do that again sometime.”

         “You just have to say the word, Elsie. Come on I’ll buy you a drink because you’ve made my day.”

         “And you’ve made mine.”

         We went into the bar and I went to sit at my favourite table.

         Chalky brought the drinks over. “So what is special about this table, Elsie?”

         “This is where I sat with Ronnie the first time we met. I can’t wait to see him again. Are you sure he will be back at the weekend?”

         “Positive. And I know that he will be just as eager to meet up with you. You know what, Elsie, I have been friends with Ronnie for a long time. Yeah, he has had a few girlfriends, but he has never spoken about any of them the way he speaks about you. It’s like he’s besotted.”

         “Stop it chalky. No he’s not. I think he likes me though.”

         “He doesn’t just like you. He’s in love with you and that’s for sure.”

         “You are a good friend to us both, Chalky. I am so happy that you have told me that. Maybe some time he will tell me himself.”

         “Oh, he will. He said to me that if it was not for this bloody war, he would ask you to marry him.”

         “Thank you, Chalky. Thank you so much you can’t imagine how happy that makes me. I stood up and gave him a hug and a kiss on his cheek.”

         “Well, drink up.” He said. “Unless you want to sit in a bar on your own. I’ll have to get back.”

         “Thanks’ Chalky. Thanks’ for everything.”

         “And thank you too, Elsie. I won’t wash my cheek for a week.”

         I got home and Alice was in the garden with Stan, and Maud was in the kitchen. “Do you want a hand with dinner, Aunt Maud?”

         “You can peel the potatoes for me if you like. I hate that job.”

         “Okay, I don’t mind.”

         “You seem in a better frame of mind,” Maud said.

         “Yes. I thought I might have lost Ronnie. But he has been sent to another air base for a week and will be back at the weekend. I can’t wait.”

         “Well, that is good news.”

         We had our dinner and were finished by five o’clock. I volunteered to wash the dishes and as I looked out through the back window a whole group of Spitfires flew above. For a moment I feared for Ronnie’s safety but then remembered he was away at the moment.

         “There goes the boys,” Stan said. “They are either going on patrol or there is trouble brewing.” Moments later the air-raid siren sounded.

         “Right, all into the shelter.” Stan said. “No point in taking chances.” We heard anti-aircraft guns going off and fighter plane machine guns as the enemy planes rumbled overhead and continued past the town. We heard the explosions begin but they seemed far off. Some other poor blighters were suffering. We spent most of the night in the shelter but luckily Uncle Stan had set up a radio so we had some music.

         It was two days later and I finished work just after midday. I looked over the road and saw Ronnie leaning against a wall. My heart gave a flutter and a great smile spread across my face. I rushed across the road to him, nearly colliding with a passing cyclist who shook his fist at me.

         I won’t say I fell, more I threw myself into his arms. “It so good to see you Ronnie. I’ve missed you.”

         He kissed my cheek and then I responded by kissing him on the lips with a great passion.

         “Well, excuse me,” a passing woman commented and we eased away from each other and began laughing.

         “I’ve missed you too, Elsie. Every day I think of you and can’t get you out of my mind.”

         We walked over to The Old Surrey Hounds and I sat at our usual table while Ronnie went to the bar. I Wondered if Chalky had told him about our trip down here on the motor bike. Would he be jealous? I will tell him anyway. We don’t want any secrets and I’m sure he won’t mind. There again if Chalky said nothing maybe he wouldn’t like me to.

         Ronnie sat down opposite me. “So, you had a little trip on Chalky’s motorbike. Did you enjoy it?”

         He know’s. Of course he does, they are best mates. “It was fantastic and a really thrilling ride. I was worried because I hadn’t heard from you and went to see if I could find you at the aerodrome and Chalky gave me a lift back and we had a drink in here.”

         “Wow, you got through all that without taking a breath.”

         “You don’t mind do you?”

         “Of course not. My wonderful girl and my loyal friend getting on and looking out for each other. I’m lucky to have the both of you.”

         “I really want you to kiss me again, Ronnie. But not in here with all these people looking. Can we finish these drinks and go and sit in your car?”

         “What a great idea.” Ronnie swiftly despatched his drink. “Come on then.”

         “Wait a minute. I can’t finish my drink that fast. I might choke. But on the other hand, here goes.”

         The next day when I finished work I saw Ronnie waiting across the road again. He was obviously hoping for another passionate encounter in his car again, as indeed I was. I rushed over to him, but he did not look happy.

         “Ronnie, what is it? What’s wrong?”

         “It’s Chalky. He was killed last night.”

         I stood speechless and numb for a moment and then I blurted out. "No, not Chalky! Ronnie what happened?”

         “His plane was shot up and he bailed out. But his chute failed to fully open and he fell to the ground.”

         “Oh, God, no. Oh, Ronnie I’m so sorry to hear that.” Tears filled my eyes and I felt my nose start to moisten. I had only met Chalky a few times but he was a lovely man and I liked him a lot. I thought about the time when he gave me a lift on his motorbike and I tried desperately not to cry but I could not hold back and I burst into tears.

         “Come here,” Ronnie said and held out his arms.

         I fell into his arms and he cuddled me as if I was a child but the tears would not stop flowing.

 
STATIC
The Girl From Mile End. Ch4.  (18+)
Elsie attends a funeral.
#2291356 by Bruce.
© Copyright 2023 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291337-The-Girl-From-Mile-End-Ch-3