*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291408-The-Girl-From-Mile-End-Ch-7
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Drama · #2291408
Back to Caterham.
Chapter 7


The next morning I was up and dressed very early. I had to get out before my father was awake. I got to the baker’s just before five o’clock and Mr and Mrs Freeman were already there. After an hour we were loading up the van for deliveries around North and East London. The destruction caused by the German bombers was everywhere, and although it was upsetting I soon got used to it. Mr Freeman was good company and quite funny at times. This was not work, this was more like an adventure holiday to me. We got back at one o’clock and I helped out for an hour before getting ready to set off home.

         I loved my work at the bakers especially the driving. I got to know all the drop off places and was going out delivering on my own leaving Mr freeman to carry on in the shop.

         A month passed and I was getting ready to go home from work.

         “You will have to get here very early tomorrow,” Mr Freeman said. “I have to collect two sacks of white flour from a mill over near Godstone. I can go with you to show you the way but we need to go and pick them up as soon as they open the gates. I think they open up about five but it could be earlier. We don’t have many deliveries tomorrow but we do need to try and get back and get them done as early as we can. You don’t have to go though, Elsie. I can go by myself and pick them up.”

         “Godstone,” I said. “That’s near Caterham, isn’t it?”

         “It is, yes. You go through Caterham and it is a few miles further on.”

         “I have relatives in Caterham. I could go there tonight and be sure to get to the mill as soon as they open the gate.”

         “I don’t know,” Mrs Freeman said. “Mr Freeman would need to go with you. He won’t be able stay out overnight at you relations house. So you would be on your own. I don’t know if you could manage. The sacks are very heavy and you may not be able to find your way.”

         “I’ll be all right. Write down the address and I’ll find it. I can take my Uncle Stan with me in the morning. He will possibly know where the mill is. And he’s an ARP warden and he knows lots of people so if he doesn’t know he will be sure to know someone who does, but I am sure he will know. Not only that, but because the shop is getting so busy it might be better if you were here.” Please, please, I thought. Please say I can go.

         “It sounds like a very good idea to me,” Mr Freeman said.

         "Okay," his wife agreed at last. "Try and get back for the deliveries, but if you are gonna be late don’t worry too much. They will have to wait for a change. What about petrol?”

         “I topped the fuel up for the trip yesterday evening when I went out,” Mr Freeman said. "There will be enough to get there and back and still do the deliveries. I’ll go and get the paperwork for you.” He set off into the back of the shop to get the order.

         “You be careful, Elsie,” Mrs Freeman said.

         “Don’t worry,” I said. “I will look after the van.”

         “I am not so concerned about the van. I don’t want anything happening to you.”

         Mr Freeman heard her as he came back. “Nothing will happen. I have been with Elsie a few times and I can tell you she is a bloody good driver.”

         That brought a smile to my face. “Right, I’m off then. I’ll nip home for an overnight bag and get going.”

         I got my bag and was ready to leave just after half past two.

         “It’s a strange turn out, I do say.” Mother said. “Are you sure you’ll be all right?”

         “Of course I’ll be all right. I’m not stupid.”

         “Well give my love to Maud and Stan.” She hesitated before continuing. “Your dad won’t be at all pleased when he gets home, you know.”

         “I don’t really care. I’ll see you tomorrow after work,” I said, and walked out to the van.

         It was an interesting journey to say the least. Many flattened buildings along the way, and diversions in place to avoid dangerous or collapsed buildings. Workmen were everywhere and it seemed that they had a huge task ahead of them. It got a little easier as I headed into Surrey and I was soon pulling up outside Aunt Maud and Uncle Stan’s house.

         I noticed Aunt Maud peering out through the window at the strange baker’s van pulling up outside her house. But when she saw me get out she came rushing out of the door to greet me closely followed by Uncle Stan.

         ”Elsie, what a treat it is to see you,” Maud said. “And in a van as well. Your driving must be really good now.”

         “So what brings you up here?” Stan said. "I dare say it's not to deliver bread."

         “I have to pick up some supplies from a mill in Godstone tomorrow and I was wondering if I could stay here tonight?”

         “You don’t even have to ask, dear. Come on in and I’ll get the tea on.”

         As Aunt Maud walked off I handed Stan the order. “Do you know where this mill is?”

         He looked at the address. “Of course,” Stan said. “I worked in that mill for a while before the war. I’ll show you the way if you like.”

         I started to laugh. “I was going to ask you that. But I need to be there early to get back for some deliveries.”

         “They work round the clock. But you won’t get in until five o’clock.”

         “Perfect, if you don’t mind the early start.”

         “That’s fine, and it will be good to see the old place again.”

         After I had settled in and had my tea we sat in the lounge talking about when Alice and I stopped there. At eight o’clock I said I wanted to go and see some old friends. Stan gave me a door key but I was sure I would not be late because of the early start in the morning. I got in the van and drove to the Wattenden Arms. I was now quite used to walking into bars on my own. I was pleased to see Mitch and Ginger in there, but there was none of the others.

         “Elsie,” Mitch shouted across as soon as he saw me. He rushed over and gave me an affectionate hug and a kiss on my cheek. “What a lovely surprise. How are you keeping?”

         “I’m fine,” I said.

         “Go and sit with Ginger and I'll get you a drink. Gin and whatever mixer he has at the moment.”

         When I went over, Ginger gave me a brief hug and kissed me on both cheeks.”

         “Very French,” I said. “Where are the others?” As soon as I said it I regretted asking. The others may have been killed for all I Know.

         “Tommy has been posted to Hornchurch, Les is playing in a snooker competition at the mess and Smudge bought it two weeks ago in France.”

         “I’m so sorry.”

         “It happens,” Ginger said. “Sometimes I think we are all on borrowed time.”

         Mitch came and put my drink on the table. Gin and orange, unsweetened of course but it was fine.

         We chatted about old times and I told them I had come over in a van to pick up some supplies. After a while Ginger looked at his watch. “Well, I have to get back. You don’t have to come back, Mitch, if Elsie will run you back to camp in her van?” He looked at me for an answer although he had not aimed the question at me.

         “I don’t mind dropping you off if you want to stay on here for a while,” I said.

         “That’s settled then,” Mitch said. “See you later, Ginger.”

         I must admit I felt a bit awkward at first sitting alone with Mitch, but the feeling soon wore off as we enjoyed the banter between us.

         An hour later I thought I had better get back as I didn’t want to take advantage of my relatives’ good nature.

         “Well, it’s been good to see you, Mitch. But I should be getting back. Do you want me to drop you off or have you decided to stay a bit longer?”

         “If you will drop me back to the camp that will be great. It’ll save me a long walk, although I could probably get a lift back with one of the ground crew.”

         We set off and when I got to the camp gates I expected to be stopped from entering again. The corporal on guard came out. “Hello, Mitch,” he said. “Got some company tonight?”

         “Yes, this is Elsie. She’s just dropping me off at the mess.”

         “Can I see your identity card, miss?”

         I rummaged about in the depths of my bag, retrieved my card and gave it to him. He wrote down the details and gave it back. Without another word he raised the barrier and waved us on.

         “It seems a bit more relaxed to when I was here last.”

         “It is now, unless George is on the gate,”

         I laughed, but wondered if he were serious. We were soon pulling up in a darkened car parking area near the Sergeant’s Mess. “Thanks’ for a lovely evening,” I said.

         “No, thank you,” he replied. “I’ll get off then. But do you mind if I have a kiss before I go?”

         I liked Mitch and could see no harm in it. “Course you can, Mitch. I don't mind at all.”

         The kiss was not a quick one and it was prolonged by the both of us. It excited me and I didn’t want it to stop. One of his hands moved up onto one of my breasts. I pushed his hand away but then he tried to get a hand up under my skirt. I was not going to let that happen and I pushed him away. “Stop it, Mitch.”

         “We can do it in here. There’s plenty of room in this van. Come on, Elsie, I’ve always wanted you. We’re both excited and you know we both want to do it.”

         “No, I don’t want to do it. Who the hell do you think I am? Get out, get out now.”

         It was obvious that I was angry and he must have realised his mistake because his attitude changed. “I’m so sorry, Elsie. I misunderstood and thought that you were okay with it.”

         “Well, I’m not,” I said. “Now will you get out?”

         He wound down the window, got out and stood by the door. “I really am sorry, Elsie. Are we still friends?”

         “No, we are bloody well not,” I said and drove off.

*****


         Uncle Stan knocked on my bedroom door and walked in. “Time to get up, Elsie. Breakfast is nearly ready.”

         I looked over at him bleary eyed. “What time is it?” I asked.

         “Just gone four o’clock.”

         “Oh, my word,” I said. “All right, I’ll be down in a minute.” Less than five hours sleep. I won’t be doing that again.

         I sat down to breakfast. Two eggs, bacon and fried tomatoes. One of the good things about rural living; there is always plenty of fresh eggs. We set off after breakfast and was sitting outside the mill just before five. It was a large mill complex with some huge silos. Two lorries and a horse and cart were already waiting outside. “At least it has escaped the attention from the German bombers,” I said.

         “I heard that it was targeted,” Stan said. “But the bombs fell wide and blew up in the wheat field.”

         The gates were opened and the gate man checked our paperwork before directing us to a loading area. Again our paperwork was checked before two elderly men came out with the flour bags on sack barrows. Stan put one into the van and I tried to lift the other one but I could hardly move it.

         One of the men laughed. “Be careful girl, don’t go straining yourself.” He picked the other bag up and pushed it inside the van.

         We got back to Stan’s house and he got out. “I will have to go straight away, Uncle Stan. I suppose Aunt Maud has gone back to bed?”

         “You suppose right. But just wait a minute.” He went inside and came out with a small straw filled box. “Here’s a dozen eggs. I’m sure the baker could use them.”

         “They are used to the powdered stuff now. I’d rather give these to Mother.”

         “Now that is a better idea.”

         “Thanks’, Uncle Stan, for your help.”

         “My pleasure, now you drive carefully. And remember you have a valuable cargo which some people would like to get on the black market. Keep your doors locked and don’t stop for anyone.”

         I was pleased with myself. Everything had gone perfectly and it was still early. I should get back to the shop by eight o'clock and have plenty of time for the deliveries. The only thing that went wrong was when Mitch tried to take liberties with me last night. Why did he have to go and spoil a wonderful evening?

         I had not been driving long when I came across a makeshift barrier across the road and two men were signalling me to stop. I pulled up and felt a bit vulnerable. The men were on both sides of the van and they tried to open the locked doors. The one on my side signalled me to wind down the window. I shook my head and got ready for a high speed reverse.


 The Girl From Mile End. Ch 8.  (18+)
Sailors are in town.
#2291421 by Bruce.
© Copyright 2023 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291408-The-Girl-From-Mile-End-Ch-7