*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291647-Review-THE-COPPER-MAN-Debra-Castaneda
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Review · Horror/Scary · #2291647
Mining Horror in Wyoming
Release February 28, 2023

Author Debra Castaneda has such a comfortable approach in her novels. Even when there is Horror (and there will be), endangered characters (you know it), fatalities (past or present), she weaves her characters in such an endearing fashion that reading of them seems like putting on a second (perhaps more appealing) skin. It's not uncommon to say characters seem like friends to readers; I think her characters are closer: they seem like aspects or extensions of ourselves. I even found myself relating to the life and tribulations of the Villain in THE COPPER MAN [prior to his crimes] because Author Castaneda made him relatable! Even the characters with whom I had strong disagreement I could still understand.

Now for the Horror: it doesn't always have to come as Slasher Films jump scares. Sometimes it creeps in on little cat feet like fog [or here, on little sheep hooves]. But don't worry, there will be jump scares too! Perhaps best of all is the Implacability of the Horror: you can run (not), you can hide (not), it's still gonna get you. Environmentalists will approve the view of the mining conglomerate's corporate villainy in terms of unconcern for human safety and environmental protection. I know I did!

Do yourself a favor and snatch this one up, hot off the presses! Then go pick up her other titles too: turn off the phone, don't answer the door, fall into Reading!
© Copyright 2023 Cobwebby Space Reader Reindeer (fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291647-Review-THE-COPPER-MAN-Debra-Castaneda