*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291657-She-SaidHe-Said-----WC-250
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2291657
Generational communication is at a standstill while someone listens in.
She Said…Then He Said
WC 250


I was at Denny's yesterday, minding my own business (as I always do) while I polished off my Grand Slam and coffee, my go-to meal when I venture forth. It was a glorious sunny day, just cool enough for me to go out and about, so I did.

Where was I?

Oh, yes. A conversation was escalating in the booth next to mine. I don't normally eavesdrop (well, sometimes). Truth be known, that's the fun of going to Denny's--other than the Grand Slam.

Anyway, where was I?

Oh, yes. It sounded like a grandmother and a grandson were arguing about his future.

“You are in the flower of your youth,’ she said “You shouldn’t—"

“Who talks like that nowadays?” he said, interrupting.

That wasn't polite! But true.

“So, sonny boy, you think I'm square?” she said. “I’ll have you know that—"

“Who talks like that?” he said, interrupting again. “Square is from the 60s,”

Again, rude, but also true.

After that, from what I could tell, they stopped talking…and I still have pretty darn good hearing!

Well, anyway, a wall of silence fell between grandmother and grandson. What a pity! Communication between generations at an impasse. Crying shame!

Then, as always, my favorite waitress brought my check, and we kibbitzed for a bit. After our usual banal pleasantries about the weather and such, I hobbled over to the counter on my walker and settled up.

I'm old, like Sonny Boy’s grandmother, true…

but at least I'm hip!


© Copyright 2023 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291657-She-SaidHe-Said-----WC-250