*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291949-Taken-In-The-Bayou
by Espero
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #2291949
How a young man ended up lost in the Bayou.
Merit Badge in Bard's Hall Town Crier
[Click For More Info]

For your awarded entry in the Bard's Hall Contest, MAR 2023

John, Phillip, and Kent were long time buddies. Good looking, popular, avid sports fans, and full of energy. They were typical twenty-one year olds out looking for new and exciting things to do.

Out of the blue John comments, "I have an idea guys, let's take a trip to New Orleans."

"I'll go if I can get my dad to put up some money," stated Kent.

"Yeah, we can take the family's pop-up camper," said Phillip. "There must be campsites around there."

They found a travel park just minutes away from the French Quarter and booked it. Two days later they were on their way: radio blasting, windows open, spirits high.

Arriving at the travel park they opened the camper, built a fire, popped some beer, and sat in lawn chairs, feeling free and easy. Later they planned on hitting Bourbon Street; they had heard Krazy Korner was fun. Tomorrow they'd go to Music Legends Park.

On the third day, John said, "I want to explore the Bayou, we can rent a boat."

"I don't know," replied Kent, shaking his head. "It's too creepy and buggy for me."

"But it's nature, rugged, wild. Aren't you up for a challenge?"

"No, count me out."

"Me neither, you can keep the Bayou, I'll stay on dry land," laughed Phillip.

The guys dropped John off at the boat rental. "Pick me up around 6:00 PM, OK?"

John paid for the boat and the manager asked him, "Are you sure you can handle a boat?"

"Of course, we go boat fishing all the time back home."

The Bayou is dangerous. You really should have a guide or another person along with you."

"I'll be OK, nothing to worry about at all."

John shoved off and headed toward the swamp, admitting it was a little creepy and mysterious. He passed a rugged handmade bridge and wondered if anyone dared step onto it; portions of the boards were broken. The brackish water was dark but appeared clear; cypress trees grew everywhere, their bulbous claw like trunks partially out of the water. Spanish moss hung from the branches and brushed against him as he passed through. Fish occasionally jumped out of the water swiping at the bugs hovering above. He glanced toward the trees and thought he saw a deer peering out from shore. Birds were everywhere and he stopped to watch a blue heron fishing, its long legs partially in the water. He saw it strike and come up with a fish in its mouth. A snake wiggled by, and he hoped it wasn't poisonous.

Then, suddenly something struck the boat. He peered over the side and was shocked to see an alligator alongside of him Grabbing his oar he tried to push away, but the reptile veered out of the water at him. He struck it with the oar but managed to topple the boat as he flew through the air. Then blackness.

Waking, he tried to get his bearings. His head pounded, and he felt a large bump. He tried to move but feared his ribs were broken. Where was he anyway? He glanced around at the room which appeared to be a one-room shack. Faint light filtered in through the window but all he could see were tree branches. He lay quietly, then fell back into a sound sleep.

Opening his eyes, John saw a woman sitting in a cane chair next to the bed. "Who are you? Where am I?" he croaked.

"Shush, Monsieur, I am Marguerite Roux, this is my home. I found you in swamp and brought you here. You were injured, oui?'

"How long have I been here?"

"Yesterday I found you. Today you wake. I am good doctor, no?"

"I need to go home, can you take me."

"Oh no, Monsieur, I am voodoo priestess, we never leave Bayou."

"Call my friends, they will come."

"Silly boy, no one is coming, no one would dare enter my domain. We have no phones here. I can become anything, like the Rougarou .........................see!" Rouguarue from Louisiana Bayou

Unable to move, John covered his face at the apparition before him. It was a wolf-like creature, approximately 8'; tall, with razor sharp teeth and glowing red eyes."

"Please, stop," begged John. "I don't mean you harm, I want to go home."

Changing back into woman form, Marguerite said, "All in good time Johnny, you have broken ribs. What made you think you could go into Bayou alone, it was foolish. You could have been gator bait"

"It appears I am at your mercy Mademoiselle, what do you want?"

"A promise Johnny; when you are better."

*************************


Back in New Orleans a search was on for John.

"I warned him not to go out alone, but he didn't listen," said the manager. "Stupid kids."

The boat was found floating upside down but no sign of John. They searched for days but finally had to admit it would be impossible for anyone to have survived without food and shelter.

The disheartened boys went home. Mirth and joy were gone, barely a word was spoken, each blamed themself for letting John go alone.

**************************


Slowly John mended and sat up in a chair, now realizing they were in a tree house with no way to get down short of skimming a tree trunk. Below the water was full of snakes and gators; yellow eyes shining in the light. Marguerite disappeared for hours at a time, shockingly, he discovered she was transforming into a black bird. She was a witch; he knew that now. He suspected that the broth she had been feeding him was laced with something that made him drowsy.

"Ah, so you're a clever one aren't you Johnny? Remember, I can read your mind and you wouldn't get very far in the swamp, so don't even try. I have good news for you Monsieur, next week you will be leaving."

"Leaving where?" John asked.

"Why home of course Johnny, that is if you do as I ask."

"What would that be?"

"My family came here from France. I was a beautiful girl, but wild; interested in voodoo and frequented those places. I met a man and married him; we had a son whom I loved dearly. Martin, my husband, wanted to leave New Orleans and move North, I could not go. You see Johnny, I had a secret no one else knew. I had made a pact with the demon. He made me a Priestess and I was given immortality. My husband left with my son; I never saw them again. My parents disowned me, I fled to the swamp. I have only myself to blame. You reminded me of my son, I wanted to help you, now you must promise never to tell anyone what you have seen here."

"I promise Mademoiselle! Anyway, no one would believe me."

"We will go soon. You will see something very frightening but it will not harm you; as it has so many others, oui?"

The moon was full, the black bird appeared at the window. "We leave now, Johnny, do not fear what happens next. Merci, Johnny, for bringing brief light into this cold heart."

She jumped from the ledge. He watched The Rougarou appear. Its red eyes blazed in the room and saliva dripped from its hideous lips. John closed his eyes and tried to stop his heart from pounding. Then, he was flung over the shoulder of the creature. With one, claw like hand it flung open the door and climbed down the tree and into the swamp. John could hear its growling, slobbering breath as they moved along. He heard the splashing of water as snakes and gators all moved out of the way as they passed. It seemed hours when finally, he was laid on the ground and saw that they were at the edge of the swamp.

"Au revoir, Johnny," it hissed and then disappeared back into the Bayou.

He laid there for some time, then stood and walked to the road where he flagged down a passing car.

'Where to Sonny," asked the driver.

"The police station," he replied. Nothing more was said, and he left the vehicle when they arrived.

The driver looked at him perplexed; the boy seemed to be in a trancelike state.

Flinging open the doors he walked into the station and stood at the counter.

"Can I help you? Do you need to sit?" the concerned attendant replied.

"No, I'm John Albridge. I was injured in the swamp several weeks ago and now I am healed. An old woman in a boat took me in and cared for me. I need to call my parents.

Gone was the happy, carefree boy everyone used to know. John was now a quiet, withdrawn man. He kept his promise and never changed his story but some suspected that he had been through more trauma than he could handle.





1,486 Words
1st Place Winner Bard's Hall
Inc. Merit Badge

Author's Note

© Copyright 2023 Espero (espero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2291949-Taken-In-The-Bayou