*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2292304-The-Girl-From-Mile-End-Ch-24
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bruce.
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Drama · #2292304
Final chapter.
Chapter 24


I woke up in a bed in sick quarters and sat up. I had a few aches and pains but I didn't feel as if I were badly hurt. The medical officer walked in. "How is the pilot?” I asked.

         “He’s gone off to hospital, but he’ll be all right. Thanks to you. You did a brave but reckless thing LACW Godsalve and saved his life.”

         “My arm hurts a bit, Sir.”

         “You have a few minor cuts and grazes and you have probably strained your arm muscles. But nothing major. We’ll keep you in the sick bay overnight though.”

         When I was discharged from sick quarters I was awarded forty-eight hours sick leave. I decided to spend the time with my new Mum but before I left I called in to see my sergeant.

         “We are very proud of you, Elsie,” he said. “You are sure to get a commendation but if you were an officer you would have probably got a medal.”

         “Thank you sergeant, but anyone would have did what I did.”

         "I don’t think so. You are a special woman, Elsie. And I am proud to be your sergeant.”

         What a lovely man he has turned out to be, so different from the hostile attitude he had towards me when I first arrived here. To tell the truth I was a little choked up and embarrassed by his words.

         “You best call in to see the MT Officer. He was asking about you.”

         I knocked on the MT officer’s door, waited for his command and then walked in and gave a salute.

         “Ah, sit down Godsalve,” he said in a broad Scottish accent.

         I sat in the chair in front of his desk. There was a bottle of whiskey on his desk and a glass with an inch of whiskey in it.

         “Would you like a wee nip?” he asked.

         I was not sure what he meant but I assumed he was asking if I wanted a drink of scotch. Well, I hope that’s what he meant. “No, thank you, sir,” I said.

         “You are the talk of the camp,” he said. “I have been congratulated so much in the mess that you would think it was me who had rescued that idiot Pilot Officer.”

         I just smiled. I didn’t really have an answer.

         “Anyway, I was speaking to the Commanding Officer in the mess and he is recommending you for a commendation. That is a big thing for a WAAF I can tell you, but well deserved.”

         A big thing for a WAAF. Is it not a big thing for anyone else then? I thought.

         “I’ve always liked you, Godsalve and we are all very proud of you. If you were not leaving in two weeks we could probably have a bit of a parade in respect of your bravery. Are you sure you don’t want a wee nip?”

         "No, thank you. Will that be all, Sir?” Please let me get the hell out of here; I’ve had enough of this bullshit.

         “Yes, well done, Godsolve.”

         I got up, saluted, and walked out. He called me Godsolve instead of Godsalve, must be the whiskey. The sergeant met me outside.

         “There are a few drivers in the rest room and I am sure they would like to see you,” he said.

         “Maybe another time, Sergeant,” I said and set off to catch the train into Chester.

         Nellie was glad to see me as I was glad to see her. We made a brew and sat by the fire. All my cuts were almost healed but Nellie still noticed the marks. "Have you tripped over again? she said.

         "No, I just had a bit of an accident at the depot." I didn't feel the need to mention the incident at the airfield.

         “Anyway, I have some news,” Nellie said. “Billy is getting married next month in Portsmouth. It is a bit of a journey and I would like you to come with me. You will be out of the air force by then so won’t need permission.”

         “I’d love to. But have I been invited.”

         “You are family now so you don’t need to be invited, but you have anyway.”

         It sometimes feels strange to be a family again even if we are not blood relatives. It seems so different from the family I had in Mile End. I suddenly thought of my dear sister Alice, as I often do, and how I miss her.

         "I look forward to it,” I said.

         “Yes, it will be a great adventure for me. I’ve never been out of Cheshire and Lancashire.”

         I spent a lovely two days with my new Mum, discussing the wedding and deciding what to wear and about the journey to Portsmouth.

         The time seemed to fly by and I was soon making my way back to the air base. Who should I run into on the way to the station, but Bobby.

         “I am so glad to see you,” he said. “I have been making a detour to come this way on my way to and from work hoping to bump into you.”

         “Well, now that you have bumped into me as you so charmingly put it, you can bump off again.”

         “Elsie, please talk to me. I still love you so much.”

         “How’s Annette?”

         “Annette is a friend and nothing else. I told you before that it was a mistake as we both felt abandoned. She is now besotted with her army boyfriend again.”

         “Well, it has been nice talking to you but I have to go.”

         “Elsie, if you don’t want to be my girl anymore can’t we still be friends, that’s all I ask. I love being in your company and I miss having the good times with you.”

         I looked at this poor pathetic young man. I admit we did have some great times and I did have strong feelings for him, and probably still do. “I’ll think about it. But I really must be going, Bobby. I do know where you live so I can always leave a message if I decide to.” I walked off. I could be friends with him I suppose. I did try to think of the good times we had, but all I could see in my mind was catching him and Annette having intercourse.

         Two weeks later I left RAF Sealand as a civilian. I had already been to Birmingham to pick up my de-mob suit which I was not overly impressed with, but Nellie promised to take me shopping in Chester with my coupons. The best thing though, was that I got my civilian full driver’s licence through so maybe I can get a driving job.

         I got the train into Chester and as I walked up towards the house I saw a car like Tom’s MG Midget parked outside. It unnerved me even though I had been at his funeral.

         "Nellie let me in and I gave a puzzled look. “Is that Tom’s car outside?”

         “Yes, one of his men picked up the car from the garage and dropped it off. I would like you to have it.”

         “I can’t,” I said. “It’s worth a lot of money and you could sell it.”

         “I won’t sell it. If you don’t want it, it can sit outside until it rots away, but I won’t sell it. So what’s it to be? Do we let it rot away, or will you take me out for a ride in the countryside?”

         "What about insurance?"

         "It's on the table with the keys. Tommy had it insured for any driver."

         I picked up the car keys. “We can’t let Tom’s car rot away,” I said. "Let's go then." We set off for a spin and I felt so grateful to Nellie for letting me have the use of this wonderful and special car. We were out for over two hours and when we returned we both went to the kitchen to prepare our dinner.

         “I am so grateful to you, Mum, for all that you have done for me.”

         “You are very welcome. Now you can do something for me. When you talk of Tommy, could you call him Tommy instead of Tom? I don’t like Tom.”

         “Of course. Tommy it is.”

         I thought of calling to see Bobby, but have not done so yet. Maybe that means I am over him but I will try to have a drink with him some time. I still do like him a bit but I want no commitments. Not only that, but now I know that he is sexually active, how long would it be before he tries it on with me?

         I just look forward to a great life in Chester in my new home with my new Mum. I am quite happy to grow old free and single. I feel that I don't need any man in my life at all. Not for a while anyway.



© Copyright 2023 Bruce. (brucef at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2292304-The-Girl-From-Mile-End-Ch-24