*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2292607-Everything-was-Good-Again
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2292607
Flash Fiction
Everything was Good Again

“You did that wrong.”

“How do you know?” Randy shot back, irritated because the ‘project’ was taking too long already.

“I remember from when Dad did it.”

“Well, maybe there’s two ways…”

“Maybe, but neither of them would connect that red wire to that blue one.”

“Huh?”

“You know, the wire codes?”

“Huh?”

“They make wires in different colors so you won’t get them messed up with each other. In this case red is not supposed to connect to any other wire, only to that red pin over there.” Jeff pointed to the pin.

“Since you know so much about wiring, why do I have to help you build these stupid things?”

“Because Mom is afraid I’ll mess something up, so she makes you help me.”

“But you know electronics, I don’t.”

“Yes,’ but you’re Mom’s ‘big boy’ and I’m her ‘baby.’ When I get a little older and she trusts me more You’ll be free.”

“It’s tough being so smart and so little, isn’t it… Sometimes I wish I was as smart as you, but you don’t seem happy about it.”

“It’s hard. I have so many things I want to do but I don’t want Mom and Dad to be scared, I am their ‘baby’ now.”

“Well I’m their baby too!”

“Yes, but when they call you that, you get mad and say you’re not a baby. And you’re not. You’re the oldest, I’m the baby. I have to be the baby forever unless they have another child, and then I’d be the middle child, but just as annoying to you…”

Both boys laughed, “OK genius, which wire do I have wrong?”

“Just that one,” he pointed, “Thanks Randy.”

“We’re in this together kiddo!” Randy said, as he changed the wire.

Mom smiled, listening from the hallway.
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2292607-Everything-was-Good-Again