*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2292706-Success
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #2292706
Nathan tries to hide from a knife-wielding seeker but he should have chosen a better spot.
Her muffled voice chased Nathan down the hallway in his desperate search for somewhere to hide. He traced the cards by the shut doors.

“Please be in english!”

Not one, just symbols.

How had he managed to get lured into the lab by a curvy body? He had more common sense than to fall for such a trap.

Her voice shouted, “Ready or not, lover, here I come!”

His gaze found the dark, open entry. He questioned that ‘common sense’, and lunged through, shutting it behind him. The metal door felt cold against his back but he preferred the cold versus the shadowed room.

A knife clicked against the steel doors. Nathan groped for the knob, turning the lock as slowly as possible. Moments later, she tried the handle.

So close.

She moved on.

A red light in the corner ceiling buzzed; flickered on. Only a black curtain hung on the wall, nothing else. He needed to know what it covered. His fingers gripped the edge and pulled. A mirror stood behind it.

She stepped out as if moving through water. “Found you.”

A sharp squeal peeled out of his lips. A smile twisted hers.

Her finger tapped his mouth. “Hush now.”

“I don’t understand,” he said.

Her hands cupped his face. He turned with her, his gaze locked on hers. She said, “I know you don’t but you’re an important part of a historical experiment.”

“This was only an experiment?” he asked.

She nodded, shoving him through the mirror. The red light flashed green.

One side of his new home held a handeless door, the other the glass wall he’d moved through.

In the other room, Dr. Yonny clicked her recorder. “Experiment 232 was successful. The subject is imprisoned. The mirror’s now worked four times in a row.”

© Copyright 2023 Siobhan Falen (shadowsnflames at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2292706-Success