*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2292863-Puppylnish
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #2292863
Becca doesn't know it but Puppers got the most important job of all, protecting her.
The puppy whizzed back and forth between the back gate and front door, his little bark echoing through the tiled house.

“Enough,” Becca shouted.

The small pouf of white fur glanced up at her. In puppylnish, he yipped, “Master, I got a new job.”

Without waiting for her response, he raced out back, challenging the larger dogs strutting by in their fancy collars and leashes.

Becca stood up and scooped up the yapping floof. “No, enough.”

“But Master, I got a new job.” He licked her chin and and wagged his tail as fast as he could. “I protect you.”

She rubbed his little skull and pressed him against her chest. “I don’t know what you’re saying but you’re too small to have this much attitude.”

His tail whipped some more. Puppers whined with happiness. He loved when she held him close and he knew, even if she didn’t, he was keeping her safe. The jingle of licenses caught his attention and he began yapping.

Those other dogs rounded the corner of his yard and he needed to tell them off. His frantic wiggling made Becca set him down again.

“Okay, okay,” she said.

“See, Master? I protect you.” He pressed his face against the security door, warning the larger dogs away from his front yard.

They snickered amongst themselves, their tails held high in the air. They jingled their collars in defiance.

“Keep moving,” he growled.

“You know, they could eat you in one bite,” Becca said as she grabbed him up again.

Puppers disagreed. He would bite their noses and ankles until they died. He would never let them hurt his master.

They understood he was a threat and moved on so he was okay snuggling with her now. He’d done his job. He would keep her safe.
© Copyright 2023 Siobhan Falen (shadowsnflames at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2292863-Puppylnish