*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293045-Retribution-for-the-Fallen-Queen-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #2293045
Chapter two of Susan Pevensie's journey back to Narnia.

Retribution for the Fallen Queen

Chapter 2



Colin excitedly unclips his safety belt and hops into the isle, blocking the foot traffic and speaking a mile a minute about how much fun it was seeing the clouds from above and seeing London for the first time. Noticing the growing impatience of the forming crowd behind him, Susan leans over and with a stern voice tells her to calm down and get back in his seat, which he does so sheepishly. She then glances outside the window and takes in many of the familiar sights, as well as a many new buildings. This causes her heart to jump slightly, triggering a sense of nostalgia and delight, something she had not felt in many years.

They eventually get off the plane and retrieve their luggage. As they make their way to the main terminal, they see a tall gentleman with a long, almost cartoonish-looking mustache, slightly curved upwards, a pipe hanging from his mouth and he is supporting himself on an, rather unusual-looking cane. On the other hand, he holds a sign reading: Welcome, Susan Pevensie-Cooper! Susan stares at the man for a few moments and notices his peculiar style of dress. He wears khaki slacks and brown shoes, but his overcoat is rather flamboyant, being a red and green striped coat.

"Mr. Hemmenbaum...?" Asked Susan suspiciously.

He flickers his upper lip, which causes his long mustache to look like a propeller that is trying to start up. He then puts the sign under his arm and removes the pipe from his mouth while clearing his throat. "Yes?" She's taken aback by his low raspy voice. "Am I to presume that you are Susan?"

"Yes sir, that is correct." She extends her hand, in a lady-like manner. He reciprocates the gesture and bows his head.

"Ah! Thank goodness you've arrived, Lady Susan." He says while putting his sign into his coat pocket. "You may call me Oliver." He puts his pipe back into his mouth for just a moment and takes a puff. "I've made arrangements for you to stay at my estate. You may remember it from your youth; the late Professor Kirke's old estate."

Susan twists her lips and furrows her brow, still slightly confused over the whole matter. She then moves her hair from her face. "You may simply call me Susan. If I may be upfront with you, Oliver, my first impression of you is still quite skewed. I'm rather--"

"I'm aware, Susan. I can tell by the minimal eye contact you've given me, although I am grateful for the restraint you've shown thus far. I will bear the consequences of that action, I'm sure." He turns to one side and clears his throat, the hoarseness becoming more distinct. "Rest assured, I'm not asking for you to forgive me outright. In fact, I'm allowing you to bear some ill will toward me in that regard. I do ask, however, that you hear me out. I'm thankful that you came, which is a tremendous first step." He looks behind Susan and notices Colin clutching the end of her skirt. He smiles and comes down to one knee. "This must be Colin. A pleasure to meet your acquaintance, young man."

"The pleasure is all mine, sir." Colin gives him a surprisingly firm handshake.

"My, you have a firm grip for a young man. Very good!" He stands to his feet and turns on his heels. After gathering all their luggage and parcels, they make their way to his car, a 1952 Morris Minor Saloon Convertible. They load the car, hop in and make their way to the countryside. The drive is relatively quiet, the majority of noises coming from Colin who is mostly talking to himself while looking at the sights. Susan eventually breaks the silence, as she takes out the rings which are wrapped in a plain white handkerchief.

"Oliver, you sent me these rings in the mail. Care to explain more about their significance?"

"I can. It would seem that you and your siblings had no knowledge about these rings. Or rather, your siblings only found out about them prior to the calamitous train accident. You see, the late professor told me the story of when he was a young man. He told me all about his eccentric uncle, Andrew Ketterley and his claim that his godmother, only known as Mrs. Lefay, who was allegedly part faerie, had dealing in the dark arts." He clears his throat before continuing. "She apparently found this special magical dust that came from the lost island of Atlantis. Being the disobedient child that he was, he turned the dust into rings that looked like the one you now hold. Those rings once held the power to transport a person to another world. The professor called this the Wood between the Worlds."

Susan looked down on the rings, then looked back at him. "Is that so? How very strange. The professor never told us about this. Did he travel there himself?"

"Indeed he did, along with his childhood friend, Ms. Polly Plummer. He first went to a world called Charn and while under what he describes an enchantment, he released the spell that held Jadis, whom you came to know as The White Witch."

"The White Witch!?" She exclaims. "She did not originate in Narnia?"

"No ma'am, she did not. She escaped Charn by way of contact when the professor donned the rings when leaving the world."

"Interesting. What became of Charn following her escape? And... wait..." She thinks about the details for a moment. "That would imply that Professor witnessed the creation of Narnia."

"You are correct. I must say, your deductive reasoning is as impressive as the professor detailed. Charn, as per your previous question, was presumably destroyed. When the professor last entered the Wood between the Worlds, the pool where Charn once was, was dried and nothing remained. The professor did say that he witnessed the creation of the world and land of Narnia. I could only imagine how glorious of a sight that must have been."

Colin, who had been quietly and intently listening up until this point suddenly pipes in, with piqued curiosity. "Mother, you mean to tell me that all those stories that you told us were true?"

Realizing that she had been speaking without restraint, turns to Colin and relents. "Yes dear. All those stories were true." She takes a deep breath and lets out a long sigh. "I put them out of my memory and chucked them up to silly games and wild imaginations that I had as a kid. It would seem that my heart and my rational mind don't want to come to terms to their realism..."

"But mother, if they really happened, isn't it bad to pretend that they didn't happen, rather than believe that they did?"

"Yes, I suppose you're right, dear." She smiles grimly. "You have to understand something, Colin. I've been through quite a bit. You'll have to excuse me if I'm not as enthusiastic about the stories."

Oliver chimes in. "Do you believe in Father Christmas, Colin?"

"Yes..." He says, unsure of why he would suddenly ask such a random question.

"Yes, I'm sure you would. You see, as we age, we tend to lose faith in the stories we hear as children. And well... the wonder and magic simply deplete the older we get. The adults who hold on to their childlike ideals are often ridiculed and forced to grow up. That happens more often than not, and I presume that's your mother's case, isn't it, Susan?"

"Yes, I suppose that's a roundabout way to go about it. Does that make sense, dear?"

"Hm... not really, but surely you still believe in Father Christmas?"

At Colin's mention of Father Christmas, the memories of the bow and horn that was gifted to her come rushing back to her. A tear wells up in one of her eyes, but then quickly wipes it away and gives him a slight smile. "Yes dear, I still believe in Father Christmas."

"Perhaps there is a chance, yet." Oliver mutters to himself. They continue on for a few moments before Susan breaks the silence again.

"Oliver, according to your recounting of Professor Kirke's story, Charn was, presumably, at the end of its cycle. What are the chances that the same thing hasn't happened to Narnia?"

Clearing his throat, he twists his lips, as if to wiggle his mustache. "There is no guarantee that Narnia is still around. I know this might be a painful memory, but do you think that the train accident might not have been a mere coincidence?"

Straightens her posture to become more guarded. "I suppose not, though I always saw it as a cruel irony. Why do you ask?"

"What if that accident was a sort of rapture that occurred, but not from our world?"

"You mean, a rapture occurred in Narnia?"

"It is possible. I remember that many years had passed from the time my siblings and I returned to Narnia for the second time. Cair Paravel was in ruin and overgrown with natural vegetation and foliage. That was in the span of one year on our own earth."

Oliver nods incredulously, "If that is the case, then, there's no way to say for certain. That's what I would like to try and find out." He coughs. "My goal, if at all possible, is to find a way back to Narnia. Perhaps even, the Wood between the worlds."

Susan flashes him a look of intense cynicism, then lets out a laugh, as if mocking the odd man. "Surely, you're pulling a prank?" She continues to laugh, but seeing that Oliver does not share the same humor, she stops, then pretends to cough. They sit in silence for a moment before speaking again.

"You are quite the cynic, aren't you?" He glances at her, then smiles slightly, noticeable by his raised mustache. "I was quite skeptical as well. I've no qualms about sharing my thoughts. The professor told me of the stories out of my persistent curiosity, but it wasn't until I sought to purchase his old home and found the two remaining rings that I came to believe. I had to do some investigative work, but I was eventually able to recover all of the rings." They come to a stop in full view of the old home, forcing memories to come back to Susan's mind. "Evidence is simple to come by for the right price." He says with a sly smile. "... And, yes, what I assume is the old wardrobe is still in the house. The previous owner did not get rid of it."

"Why do these memories seem to wish to force themselves into my mind?" She mutters to herself.

"Well now!" He states, interrupting her musings and while clasping his hands together. "Let's enter. Allow me to help you with your belongings."

They all get out. Colin overwhelmed with the green countryside, starts running around the field, as all young children would do. Oliver and Susan unload her luggage and enter the house. It truly is a nostalgic feeling for her, as it has, somehow, been left virtually untouched. Oliver shows Susan to her room and they drop off the bags there. He allows her to have some time alone, while he heads back downstairs to prepare lunch and tea. Colin then enters the home and continues to show his amazement at the sheer number of knickknacks, trinkets, and dor within. He and Oliver have a short exchange, then sits at the table to indulge in the roast beef sandwiches with horseradish and cucumber, sliced apples and pears, and toasted walnuts. He then sits back in his seat while sipping on his piping hot tea.

"Thank you for the meal, Mr. Hemmenbaum. It was very good." He says with great enthusiasm.

"You're quite welcome, young man." He replies, while only now beginning to eat his own meal.

"I should call mother down, I wouldn't want her to miss--"

"I think it would be best to allow your mother to rest, Colin. You both had a long flight, and I imagine she's quite tired."

"Yes, you're right. I do feel quite tired myself, but I don't see how I can rest with so much stuff to look at."

"You really are quite the energetic young man, aren't you?" He chuckles as he takes a sip of his tea. "When you're finished, you're more than welcome to explore the house at your leisure. Although, I would caution against going into the room with the wardrobe. One never knows what can happen--"

"Mr. Hemmenbaum!" A loud voice can be heard from upstairs, followed by footsteps leading toward them. Susan storms into the room. "Are you insisting that my son should pursue strange imaginations?"

Oliver coolly takes another sip of his tea, before kindly responding, "That's not it at all. You see, I've only ever seen the room from the doorstep. The room looked to be in disrepair, what with the aspect of time and decay. I wouldn't want your little one to get hurt in all his exploring."

"I see. And why would that room be in such disrepair, presuming you have more than enough money to simply hire a crew to repair anything?"

Oliver, again takes a sip of his tea, then dabs his mouth with a handkerchief before speaking, "You do live up to your reputation of being rational and cunning, my dear. Almost as if you were playing the role of defendant and prosecutor."

She straightens her posture, indignantly, "Perhaps I am, though why would that matter to you?"

Oliver sits back in his seat while lighting his pipe. He takes a few puffs, then a turns in his chair so that he faces her directly. "Susan, I'm not your enemy. Now, I didn't invite you here and pay for all of your expenses just to argue with you. I would like to ask if you can be a little more amiable while in my home."

She ponders for a moment, then relents, heads to the table and has a seat. She stares down at her sandwich, then lets out a deep breath. "I apologize. Not just to you, Oliver, but also to you, Colin. I admit that I have been acting quite unpleasant. It has been difficult for me, you see. The memories that I made here and with all this talk of Narnia and my adventures there... It's become quite the struggle in my own mind as well."

"What exactly is the struggle, if you don't mind my asking?"

"The struggle that I actually did live through those experiences all those years ago and that I am no longer a friend to Narnia of my own choice. I always struggled with these thoughts, and when I no longer was able to go back, I rejected the thoughts as senseless imaginations. My brothers and sister held true to those, even to the ends of their lives." She clutches the edge of her skirt in frustration. "I can still remember when I was invited to meet with them and the professor and all the others. They apparently had a feeling, but didn't go into much detail. Why do I struggle to believe?"

Oliver, listening intently clears his pipe and cleans it out. "You should know, my dear, that you aren't alone in this. I, too, struggle to believe in what I can't see with my eyes. Was it not Saint Thomas that had a similar problem of believing? Yet, he was able to look past his own imperfections and trusted in The Lord; he then bore the right to be known as an apostle of the gospel."

Susan doesn't say anything at this stunning realization, simply staring into her cup of tea. After a long while, she pulls out the handkerchief housing the two rings and sets them on the table resolutely. "Well Mr. Hemmenbaum. If St. Thomas who walked with Jesus himself and was challenged to touch His wounds can come to believe again, then so can I." She takes a deep breath. "I am going to do whatever I can to believe that Aslan can still call me back to Narnia."

"... Because, 'Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen.' Isn't that right?" States Oliver, assuredly.

"Precisely." She reaches forward and touches the green ring and puts in on one of her fingers. Nothing happens, then does the same with the yellow ring. Again, nothing. "Crumbs..." She sits back, then gets another idea. "Let's go to the room with the wardrobe. That was our first portal to Narnia. Perhaps it will work again." Oliver nods and the three make their way to the room with the wardrobe. Oliver cautions Susan about the state of the room, and in fact he was not lying. Some of the floor boards had been eaten away, simply with time and many other factors. They all proceed cautiously and when they reach the wardrobe, they open it, only to find it filled with old, dusty, stale-smelling coats. Susan examines the wardrobe several times and Colin even tries crawling along the bottom and with no such luck, they return back to the dining room table. Feeling disappointed, but not defeated, Susan paces back and forth, attempting to think of another method, stating that the only other way she knows was from when King Caspian had blown the horn. The four were called by way of magic through the train station.

Oliver clears his throat to speak, "Well, if magic is the only way, then it was to be through these rings. I have the other rings locked up in my room. Give me just a moment."

He leaves the room, leaving Susan and Colin at the table. They don't say anything, but the cheerful Colin, who up until now has only been swinging his legs on the chair and humming an unknown tune. Susan notices and even longs for how carefree he is, bringing a smile to the corners of her mouth. When she does smile, the strangest thing happens. She can hear a sound coming from somewhere. No, it isn't the tune coming from Colin, but he is in fact humming in sync with whatever sound she can hear. She focuses on him and realizes that Colin has fallen under a trance. She reaches out and touches his shoulder, but when that doesn't seem to have any effect, she gently shakes him. It is at this point that Oliver returns to the room, holding a small, yet beautifully decorated wooden box and sees the strange sight unfolding.

"Is everything all right?" As he asks, he, too, can hear not just Colin's humming, but the sound emanating from... somewhere. He quickly gets the idea to set the box down and open it. He carefully takes out all of the rings that are wrapped in a red silk cloth. He uncovers them and a beautiful melody can then be heard. The sound they were hearing were emanating from the rings themselves. With all the rings now together, they synchronize with the wonderful harmony. Susan seeing this, still holding Colin by the shoulder, looks at Oliver and gives him an affirming nod. Oliver silently agrees. He picks up a green ring and places it in his pocket. He also hands one to Susan and places one in Colin's coat pocket. Then carefully, with a handkerchief places one of the yellow rings in Colin's pocket, then with the same handkerchief, hands one to Susan, who places it in her pocket. Then, Susan takes hold of Colin's hand, and Oliver's hand; Oliver takes a deep breath and with his bare hand grasps one of the yellow rings. At first nothing happens, but then he slips the ring onto his ring finger, then all at once, they are all whisked away, as if traveling through some sort of wet tunnel. They see their world fading away at what they assume to be light speed. They see their own galaxy flash before their eyes, then all of a sudden, they jump out of a pool of water onto solid, grassy turf, and, much to their surprise, completely dry.

For, what feels like hours, they don't say anything, an overwhelming sense of peace comes over them, but not the peaceful kind, no. More of a false sense of peace. One that, if possible to imagine, if someone were to fall asleep in this place, they may never wake up. Oliver, manages to shake himself and looks around. Much to his amazement, he, Susan, and Colin are in fact in the fabled Wood between the Worlds. The Wood that Professor Kirke told him about all those years ago. He looks over to Susan and Colin, who at this point seem to still be in some sort of trance. He shakes them both out of the trance and when they come to, they all look in amazement.

"This is the Wood between the Worlds!" exclaims Oliver, still stunned at the sight.

"It's true.... I can hardly believe it, but here it is." States Susan plainly. "But how?" She shakes her head quickly. "What I mean to say is, was it the reuniting of the rings or--" She shoots a look at Colin, who is still staring on in innocent wonder. "... The belief of an innocent child?"

"Perhaps both." Mutters Oliver. "We ought not worry about the details now. We've arrived, after all." He takes a few steps taking in the wonder, then notices a guinea pig wondering around in the near distance. "Impossible..." He says, both with amazement and terror.

"What is it?" Asks Susan, noticing the mixed emotion in his voice.

"Why... the guinea pig." He points a trembling finger at the ageless rodent. "Professor Kirk mentioned the guinea pig in his story, but I thought he would be long-aged, or even... dead. Does that mean, then--?" His breathing becomes quick and shallow, then he shakes himself and calms his nerves. "This wood is without time. Yes, this is what I'm coming to realize now." He coughs and lets out a long breath. "A startling realization, no?"

"I would say so. How dreadful to think one could be stuck here. Never experiencing aging or death, and forever sleeping." Susan says, showing empathy for the poor creature.

"The professor did mention that it would have been better for it to stay here, than to return to Mr. Ketterly, but now I'm sure that was not the wisest of choices." He nods resolutely, "Well, wherever we decide to go from here, we should take the little fellow with us. I'm certain it would appreciate that."

"This must be the pool for our world." Colin says. "See? There is a small patch of grass that has been cut out."

Oliver takes a look at the same patch of grass and smiles. "Indeed it is! Very observant of you, young Colin." He walks over to him and comes down to one knee. "This is the patch that the professor cut out all those years ago--or rather, earth years." He looks and sees a dried up pool nearby, then traces where the pool leading to Narnia might be. He walks over to the possible location and is amazed to see that the grass around the pool are frozen with ice crystals. He stares down at the pool, not saying anything.

"What is the matter, Oliver?" Asks Susan as she approaches him. "You seem so solemn."

He points to the dried up pool, "You see that spot where a pool might have been?" Susan only nods her head. "I believe that is Charn, the world where the White Witch was brought from." He then traces with his finger to the pool where he is currently standing. "It might be quite convoluted, but this, I believe, is the world where they ended up: Narnia."

"But it looks so different from the others..." She says, with a slight sadness in her tone. "Is it possible that the White Witch is...?"

Colin walks up to them and looks down at the pool. "Are we going in there?" He questions, an heir of fear creeping from him. "It seems like a cold world. Nothing like what you described, mother."

Susan brings him in closer and wraps her arm around him. "If this is Narnia, then I fear there is something terribly wrong. I was once a queen there and if there is something going on, then I am duty-bound to investigate."

Colin squirms a bit, and then responding with a shaky voice, "All right."

"Don't worry, my son. I won't let any harm come to you." She says with a calming voice. "We're going. Are you ready, Oliver?"

He nods. "I'll leave the guinea pig here for now. If it is unsafe, I would hate for anything else to happen to it. If it is safe, I can return and retrieve him. Alas, I'm ready whenever you are."They all switch rings, then holding hands and on a three count, jump into the cold icy pool.

© Copyright 2023 Gerson Ventura (shiningsaint49 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2293045-Retribution-for-the-Fallen-Queen-2