*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294446-Library-Thoughts
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2294446
Flash Fiction
Library Thoughts

Off to the library, I practically lived there during the school year. It was the fifties; we didn’t have computers… I don’t know if anybody did? Nobody but the rich could afford their own library, and though we had enough money, it certainly was not ‘library in our house’ money. So, I spent lots of time sitting on the rock wall in front of the public library (well, it was social too! Most of my class turned up there sooner or later.)

With me the library was just research (and friends…) My sister on the other hand read books like I ate candy. Every piece she could get her hands on. I was too antsy to just sit and read, but I had to do research because I had plans for my future requiring good grades (and making lots of money!) Sharon read for pleasure, even non-fiction! She loved novels and short stories and adventures, but just as happily read history and geography and even Dear Abby kind of stuff. Like I just wanted to get my homework done, she wanted to understand the whole world. She made me take out books every time we were there together, because there was a limit on how many you could take, and she was a fast reader. Fortunately for us both we had to walk past the library daily to get home.

You’d think, well I thought… things would turn out differently. I did get a great paying job when I grew up, but I hated it, all I really wanted was a loving husband, and kids, which I eventually got and am still delighted. Four grandchildren! Sharon wrote a novel, guess all that reading went to her head! Add sixteen more over the years, and best sellers too.

Isn’t life weird!
© Copyright 2023 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294446-Library-Thoughts