*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294610-Tales-of-Treasures-Thrills-and-Trouble
Rated: E · Critique · Action/Adventure · #2294610
Classics in Adventure
Tales of Treasures, Thrills and Troubles

With my recent decision to improve my writing, I felt that I should also try to read some classics. As an youngster, I was drawn more to serious subjects. With advent of graying hair and abundance of struggles in real life, I lean more to lighter materials and hence adventures. I go from James Bond to Pirates of the Carribean to Harry Potter.

As middle school student, I came across Treasure Island. It was an abridged version. Still, it was captivating. On hindsight, I feel it was more captivating because it was narrated by a young boy and I myself was a kid. And of course there were pirates, ships and treasures.
So as part of my bid to reading classics, I recently heard the audio book 'King Solomon's Mines'. It was an interesting book. I enjoyed it very much. But I am not sure I would have enjoyed it as a kid. I am just wondering if anyone read the same book as a kid. There is adventure, but from the perspective of an adult. What I liked about it is how bonds are formed across language, race and religion. Also the fact that what is considered as treasure by some( King Solomon's treasure) is of no value to entire tribe of natives. That itself directs us to the philoshical view of the materials of the world. What we consider valuable depends on our perception. Hence I consider it an adult's reading material.

While Kings Solomon's Mines delves into adventure of travel into the unknown and human endurance, comradery and courage, Treasure Island is more about a boy thrust into danger for no fault of his own . Then on, it is a roller coaster ride where he meets a plethora of characters and somehow learns to separate good people from bad, takes timely decision sometimes to tip the scales in his favor.

One of these days, I need to get hold of a copy of Treasure Island original version and read it. I wonder what would be like from an adult's perspective. I can't wait to find out.





© Copyright 2023 Anveshana (anevshanalw at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294610-Tales-of-Treasures-Thrills-and-Trouble