*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294745-Eating-when-Sick-and-Taking-Pills
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #2294745
Stories about my life: An American husband and a Japanese wife living in Japan.
One of many stories involving miscommunication between us and our comments on the conversation. The cause of miscommunication may be ethnic, gender, or just personality differences.

Scott and Yoko have very different habits concerning what to eat when sick and how to take medicine or pills. Scott, after going to a doctor and getting some pills for his fever, might have a conversation like the following with Yoko.
Yoko: I will make some soupy rice (okayu) for you.
Scott: No thank you. I think I will have some oatmeal for supper instead.
Yoko: Oatmeal for supper! Oatmeal is for breakfast. I think you should have some soupy rice. That is what I always had when I was sick. You live in Japan, so you should do what the Japanese do, have some soupy rice. You always say, “When in Rome do as the Romans do.”
Scott: Ah, but I feel like having some oatmeal.
Yoko: Ok.
(Scott eats the oatmeal.)
Scott: That was good! Time for my medicine. Where is my pill?
Yoko points to Scott's medicine, which is sitting on the table in front of him. Scott, who had milk with his oatmeal, throws the pill in his mouth and washes it down with milk.
Yoko: What are you doing? Take a pill with water. I can't believe you just did that.
Scott: What?
Yoko: Take a pill with water. If you take it with milk, it will upset your stomach. Don’t you know that?
Scott: Milk is a liquid like water. It just guides the pill down to the stomach and once in the stomach it is all the same.
Yoko: I can't believe you just did that. Now you will get a stomachache and be using the toilet.
Scott: Ah, I don’t think so.

Scott's comment
When people are sick, they usually eat something they like. The same with Scott.
Often people eat less, too. In contrast to many people, I eat the same or more when I am sick. At first, Yoko would say, "You can't be sick. You are eating." However, she has learned over the years that I eat when I am sick. Recently, I asked my sister about eating and being sick and it seems we have an American family tradition. We eat when we are sick. That made me feel much better, less alone. It is not just me.
Yoko eats soupy rice when she is sick as does the rest of Japan, or so she thinks. Once, only once, Yoko gave me soupy rice. My mind and my stomach instantly told me that soupy rice was not what to eat when sick. The visit to the toilet emphasized this realization. Instead, some nice oatmeal with milk does fine.
Taking pills is another difference in our family. Yoko will take pills or vitamins with warm water. Only water. I am a bit different. In most cases, since I am already drinking milk-part of my sickness menu- I take any pills with milk. If milk is not on the table, a cup of coffee is an appropriate substitute. It is a liquid and will wash down the pill. Practicality is my motto.

Yoko's comments:
I was raised in an environment where if you do not feel good, people eat soupy rice (okayu). Some people eat udon (noodles), though I have my doubts about that. Recently, even I like to eat sushi, to feel refreshed, when I am not feeling well. But when someone is sick or has the flu, she needs to rest the body and the stomach needs to have just a little food. That should be okayu.
Scott is different. He eats the same amount of food or more. Unfortunately, Tabatha, our daughter, takes after her father in that way. When she does not feel well, she eats and eats. Fortunately, Tabatha will eat soupy rice and udon when she does not feel well. She is almost normal.
Since I was a child, I have been told to take medicine with hot or cold water. Only water. In fact, I have heard that some medicines are less effective if they are drunk with some liquids. For example, some medicines taken with grapefruit are not so effective. But milk or coffee? That shocked me.
I had another shock when I lived in America. At my workplace, an American friend drank drinks with caffeine, such as Pepsi and she smoked cigarettes all the time. Then she complained of headaches. I said to her "Your headache won't go away if you smoke and drink Pepsi." She just laughed. Really, I wanted to scream at her, "If you quit smoking and drinking cola your headache will go away." But I never had the courage to say it. When I think about it, I guess milk is better than cola and smoking.

© Copyright 2023 Scottjapan (scottjapan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294745-Eating-when-Sick-and-Taking-Pills