*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294919-Road-Trip
Rated: E · Fiction · Travel · #2294919
A retired school teacher goes on a road trip with her doll.
"Road Trip'
By
W. P. Gerace

The day she had long awaited was finally here. After teaching third and fifth graders for nearly forty-five years, Ethel Cunningham, who celebrated her seventieth birthday this past April, was finally enjoying the pleasures of retirement. Though she never married or had children of her own, she always had enough things to do and people she knew through her many travels to keep her company and from getting bored.

Today was no exception. On this first balmy day of July, she decided to take her doll she had since childhood Sally May, a petite little girl with blonde pigtails, baby blue eyes, and porcelain skin, for a ride. With her cute freckles and frilly dresses, Sally May was the little girl she wished she had and never did. But she had her own personality and way of communicating that only these two understood. Hearing the screeching of her alarm at sunset, a glowing sun spilled in with its warm rays radiating through her open bedroom windows.

She and Sally May had their usual oatmeal with cinnamon, butter, and soy milk for breakfast. Smiling at her pretend daughter, she saw her excitement as they prepared for a new day. Ethel thought today would be a spectacular day for a Road trip. Anywhere would be great. She quickly dressed in her peach shorts and a white blouse, putting Sally May in her denim shorts and yellow t-shirt and getting ready for a new day.

"Ok, girl, we are off on our own adventure. It is going to be so much fun, you know. Where would you like to go? We should take a trip to the beach. You know I have not been to the beach since college. Atlantic City would be grand. "Smacking her tiny hands together, she knew Sally May was excited about it.

Resting underneath the tall maple tree in front of her, the maroon Chevy she had not driven in years sat idle. Since work was up the street and she basically knew everyone in the neighborhood, she usually would get a ride to places and never had use for her car. Today was going to be different. Humming some Kenny Rogers song that she couldn't remember the words to, she quickly put Sally May in the back seat and seat-belted her in with her favorite drink Coca Cola in her juicy cup. Getting in the driver's seat felt weird as she had not been in it in so long. She had a hard time deciding if she wanted the seat up lower or even adjusted at all. Laughing out loud, Ethel could not believe she was being so silly over such trivial matters.

"Hmm, you know, girl, how will we get to Atlantic City. Let me see if my phone will give us some directions. "Ethel smiled, knowing she was the least technological person around.

"Hey, Google, how can I get to Atlantic City. "Ethel asked.

"Take route 55 from your house and keep going. You will be there in 3 hours. "Google responded in the most friendly tone. It reminded Ethel of an actual human being.

"Google, you are so sweet. Thank you, girl. I am going to call you Mrs. Google. You have such a lovely voice. You should be in the movies. "Ethel loved to think everyone should be a star.

Starting her car, smiling, and talking with Mrs. Google and Sally May, they all began singing songs together. The one she loved the best, and the girls did too, were the wheels on the bus going round and round. Mrs. Google started singing it, laughing, enjoying the company and fun.

Ethel opened her window as she drove down Highway 55, its long concrete road surrounded on all sides by tall trees. A warm breeze swept through, blowing Ethel's auburn hair everywhere. Sally May's blonde hair spilled around as she waited patiently for their arrival. This was the most incredible trip Ethel had ever taken, and now she had a new friend Mrs. Google. She could visit Mrs. Google, and they could have coffee.

"Mrs. Google, I and Sally May really enjoy your company. So tell me, girl, are you married or single. I never got married. Sometimes I wished I did, but then many friends said married life is hard. What's your opinion? "Ethel questioned.

"One in 4 Americans are not happy with their married lives. I am trying to understand why. Latest statistics show more Americans are getting divorced. I am not married since I am a computer and do not have any human thinking or life per se. "Mrs. Google spoke in that plain robotic tone of hers.

"Really, not even a boyfriend or anything. Gosh, I am glad I am not a robot. I did have a boyfriend one time. His name was Micky, as in Mickey Rooney. But he went to war, and when he returned, he wanted to stay single. Never heard from him again. Oh well. Hey, guess what? We are in Atlantic City, girls. "

Ethel decided she knew what they would do. Crossing the rickety bridge, she could see the towering casinos from afar. The water was glistening, and young people below were on their jet skis enjoying the water.

"Alright, girls, we are pulling down below and going to join these fine people and jet ski. I always wanted to try that. "Ethel said.

Motioning to the young kids on the jet skis with Sally May under her arm, she asked if she could join them. Smiling, they put her and Sally May on a pair of skis.

© Copyright 2023 W.P. Gerace (phoenixdude71 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2294919-Road-Trip