*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2295742-Burger-and-Fries
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Emotional · #2295742
A true story about what happened while I was having lunch at a fast food restaurant.
I drove to a Jack in the Box restaurant during my lunch hour. For no particular reason, I thought, I parked my car instead of going through the drive-thru. I walked inside to buy my burger, French fries, and a soft drink. I carried my tray to the outside seating area in front of the restaurant. There was one person at another table. I noticed the man was drinking water with no food or wrappers in sight. Maybe he was ready to leave, I thought. Two articles needed my attention for a work assignment. I placed my tray on the cement table, sat down, and pulled a notebook from my purse. While I read and took notes, my lunch remained untouched.

An hour evaporated. It was time for me to take off. I stretched and glanced over my shoulder, noticing the man was sitting in the same position nursing his cup of water. Gathering my purse and notebook, I swooped up my tray with the untouched Jumbo Jack with cheese, French fries, and a large Sprite. Retracing my steps, the man looked up, briefly locking eyes with mine, and looked away. From this angle, it was clear this man was a boy, not more than sixteen years old. In one motion, I transferred my tray onto his table and quietly whispered 'All will be well'. A wave of relief washed over his face. I caught a slight upturn of his lips. I walked on by to the parking lot, unlocked the car, and dropped my purse and notebook on the passenger seat. I sat down, thinking back to an hour ago when I parked in the lot and walked in rather than using the drive-thru. I thought there was no particular reason. The chance encounter with the boy was the reason.

🌷🌷🌷🌷 🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷

"Everyone is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be Kind. Always." ~Robin Williams
“You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Try out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.” ~Princess Diana
© Copyright 2023 tracker (tracker1948 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2295742-Burger-and-Fries