*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2295774-A-Boy-and-His-Rugby-Shirt
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #2295774
A Boy and His Favorite Rugby Shirt Become Friends
In the town of North Valley lived a middle schooler named Jeffrey. He was a timid and shy boy, always keeping to himself. The one thing he cherished was his favorite rugby shirt. The shirt was made out of the softest cotton. Its color was navy with a single brilliant red stripe running down each sleeve. Across the chest was a single wide red stripe that wrapped all the way around the shirt. Embroidered on the front of the shirt was a brilliant neon green “7” that was positioned half way above and below the stripe. On the back was a larger centered “7” of the same color, it ran from just under shoulders to just above the hem. The bright white collar accentuated the shirt giving it a preppy look, which matched the white cuffs. A concealed three rubber button placket gave it a smooth and clean look.
However this was no ordinary shirt, it had a mind of its own and was in-fact alive. It had been owned by Jeffrey for several years, with Jeffrey wearing it many times and even wearing it to sleep. Jeffrey had always suspected the shirt was out of the ordinary. It always seemed to be able to regulate his temperature, making him feel warm on cold days or the opposite on warmer days. He would find it in different locations in his room, and not remembering having moved it here. When he was feeling vulnerable it would radiate a type of soothing warmth that he could feel deeply in his bones, a sign he took that it was truly a special garment.
The shirt felt that it was ready to reveal it’s self to Jeffrey, it cared for him deeply but was afraid it would scare him. Today was a big day for Jeffrey as he had a big test to pass and he was nervous about it. The shirt decided this was the day to reveal itself. As morning came the shirt animated itself on it hanger, the collar and arms stretching as if it also had just woken up. It unbuttoned itself and jumped out onto the carpet of Jeffrey’s room. Jeffrey had just gotten out of bed and fell back in surprise seeing the wondrous sight, his favorite shirt moving on its own. He started to feel some panic as he didn’t know what to do , pulling himself back to the side of his bed with uncertainty in his eyes. The rugby shirt got worried that it scared him too much and put its sleeves up as if it was surrendering.
Sensing the fear in the boy the shirt crept up to him, maintaining an eye level with Jeffrey who was still up against his bed on the floor. The rugby shirt extended its sleeves and softly put the ends of the cuffs on each of his shoulders. Suddenly the embroidered number “7” on the back of the shirt came to life as the stitching began to shift and change. The very fabric that had created the “7” began to flow up the back like a river of water. It descended down each of the front shoulders down to the area of the stomach.
As the Boy watched in wonder he began to see something forming in the magical fabric. The threads began to weave memories that he and the shirt had in the past. Coming into form where times of joy and excitement of times he and the Rugby shirt shared. There was the school field trip to planetarium as they both stared up at wonder of the stars above them. There was the haunted house when they both experienced the exhilaration of running from the scary actors. There where the times alone in his room as the rain fell, both of them enjoying a good book. There was the time he and and the rugby shirt finally stood up to the bully at school, fighting back as the rugby shirt almost got torn in the tussle, only to remain undamaged as the boy defending them both.
The boy watched the images slowly move across the fabric as tears welled up in his eyes. He flung himself at the rugby shirt in a loving embrace as they rolled on the floor of his room. Their laughter echoed off the walls surrounding them in pure joy, as the two of them realized they had been friends along. Their bond now stronger then ever as they looked forward to future adventures, not just as a Boy and his Shirt but as true friends in the journey of life.
© Copyright 2023 Sophia Snowflake (sophiasf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2295774-A-Boy-and-His-Rugby-Shirt