*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2295926-Bedtime-Story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Mahe
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #2295926
A sweet short story where my OC, Davey, tells a bedtime story to his daughter, Piper.
“And even though they could barely see through the heavy rain, the mighty yellow-bellied tiger and her friends carried on through the storm.”

Davey’s movements were free and fluid as he pretended to trudge through deep mud, with his arm in front of his face shielding him from imaginary winds. Meanwhile, his daughter Piper was sitting, all curled up, under the soft blue and green blanket of her cosy bed. Her sock-covered feet were folded up beneath her, her elbows on her knees, and her chin in her hands. As she rested her head against the plush headboard, she stared attentively as if she was watching her favourite movie or cartoon.

“And suddenly, as quickly as it had started, the storm cleared before her. The tiger breathed a sigh of relief, for she was home!”

“Her den? With the other yellow-bellied tigers?” Piper’s eyes lit up with excitement as she rocked back and forth.

“Yes! At the very top of the sugar cube mountain, surrounded by flying birds with wine-purple wings and vines where monkeys swang.”

“And then what happened when she reached the mountain?” She asked.

“When who reached the mountain?”

“The tiger, Dad.”

Davey paused in genuine confusion. “The tiger... the tiger was at the mountain? She...just give me a moment...” In the brief silence, he clasped his hands in front of his mouth, bouncing his fingertips against his lips. However, he shook his head. “No, no...it's gone. I’m sorry, possum. Perhaps I could tell a different story?”

This wasn’t the first time, and Piper knew that. But then an idea came to her. “Daddy, can you tell me a story about what Mummy is like?”
Davey smiled as he climbed onto the bed and snuggled into the blanket next to her, wrapping her arm around her shoulder. “Oh, this one’s easy. Your Mum is a very outspoken woman, and she works as a teacher…”

“No, Daddy - what is she really like? When she comes over and is with us.”

He paused, caught off guard. “She’s just like you,” he answered as he caressed her hair.

“Like me, Daddy? Really?” She peered up at him.

“Mhm - strong, clever and funny. And oh so lovely.” Davey sighed fondly.

“Then… why does she have to go to Sydney?” Piper asked with hesitation. “Does she not love us anymore?”

For a sudden moment, the muscles in Davey’s neck tightened with shock as he swallowed and grabbed his daughter’s shoulder. Not only had she grown out of storybooks, but also she was gradually reaching the age where she could finally know and understand the entire truth. However, now would be a good time to reveal only a fraction of it.

“Piper…you know how you go to school to learn new skills so you can use them in the world?” She nodded. “Well, that’s what your Mum is doing.”

“Wait, grown-ups also go to school?”

“Mhm. I also went to the grown-up school, and that’s where I met your Mum. But that’s another story for when you’re a little older.”

“Huh. So for teachers to become teachers, they become students first…” Piper grabbed the sides of her head. “I don’t get it, Daddy. So if Mummy is a teacher, why is she becoming a student again? And why doesn’t she learn here in Perth?”

“Because…well, because she wants to learn new things, and she just happened to want to go to Sydney to do so,” Davey explained as his eyes met hers. “Piper, I understand how disappointed you are that Mummy has to go so far away to learn, and I know how much you miss her. I miss her too, possum, and I also wish to see her here at home more often. But I’ll tell you a little secret.” He leaned in towards Piper’s ear. “Your Mum and I talk to each other on the phone every day when you are at school.”

“And what does she say?”

“She says she loves you from the bottom of her heart, Piper, and she misses you.” His tone was both gentle and earnest. “And she wants you to know that you are not at fault for her choices.”

Piper nodded timidly, turning away in slight disappointment but also relief at the fact. When she looked up again, she was met with the beaded eyes of her stuffed kookaburra and her father speaking in a silly voice.

“Don’t be sad, Piper. Piper…” The hint of a grin slowly revealed itself on her face. “Remember that Mummy comes home every November, Piper? Re-mem-ber?” He leaned across and tickled her neck with the toy.

“Ugh, Daddy!” Embarrassed, Piper squirmed as the two of them giggled, before she gently pushed his hand away.

“Aw, come on!” He resumed his normal voice as he collected himself. “Never forget how much she loves you, Piper. She works very hard for us.” He planted a kiss on her cheek as she yawned. “Bedtime, possum.”

“Can you sing for me before you go, please Daddy? To help me sleep.”

“Of course, possum.” After Davey stepped out of his daughter’s bed, he tucked her in and squatted by her side as he sang.

Moon river, wider than a mile,
I'm crossing you in style some day.
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way.

Two drifters, off to see the world -
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end,
Waitin' 'round the bend.
My huckleberry friend
Moon river and me
.”

He watched as his daughter drifted off to sleep, and after planting one more kiss on her forehead, he switched off the lamp on the bedside table. “Goodnight possum, sleep tight.”
© Copyright 2023 Mahe (librahorse02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2295926-Bedtime-Story