*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2296164-White-Elephant
Rated: E · Fiction · Family · #2296164
Remember me.

Word Count: 474


Should I choose the moose mug or the electric wine bottle opener? Maybe my wife would like the scented candles?

Am I the only one who thinks this white elephant gift exchange is just plain silly?

I finally settled on the sequined eyeglass case.

“I am glad you chose that one,” snickered my coworker, Jack Watson. “I've been hauling that thing around in my car since Granny Iris left it behind during her move to the nursing home.”

After much applause, I headed to my seat, hoping this would all be over soon. I took out my glasses and checked the fit in my new case. Sally Parker rolled her eyes and congratulated me on my choice.

Later that evening, I met some friends for dinner. I was having trouble reading the menu in the dimly lit restaurant. I reached for my glasses and quickly realized I had put them in that case from the office party. Hoping not to relive that unpleasant event, I pretended to drop something and attempted to pull the glasses from the case discreetly.

As they slid from the case, I noticed a piece of paper tumble to the floor. It was tattered and had the color and consistency of parchment. There were deep, ragged creases formed from repeated folding and unfolding.

No longer concerned with what anyone might think, I carefully unfolded the paper. I could sense the special message trapped inside.

It was a handwritten note, scribbled in crayon, with a stick figure drawing at the bottom.

The note read:

Dear Granny,
I know you will be going to heaven soon.
Please keep this picture so you will not forget me.
Happy Birthday.
Love, Emily.

I carefully folded the note and placed it back inside the case. The following day, I resolved to return it to its rightful owner.

Meadow View Nursing Home was only a couple of miles down the street; it seemed like a good place to look for Granny Iris.

An orderly met me at the door and asked me who I was visiting.

“Is there a lady named Iris here?” I asked.

“Oh, yes, Miss Iris Watson; she is in the memory care unit,” the orderly replied.

While I was not on the approved visitor list, the orderly made an exception and showed me to Miss Iris' room. She appeared very frail and almost lifeless, apparently in a deep sleep. I immediately noticed her eyeglasses lying uncased on the nightstand. Not wanting to disturb her, I gently slid them into the sequined case, along with the note.

As I left, I heard in a soft, shaky voice, “Where did you find it?”

I turned and responded, “I think it found me.”

She opened her eyes as if to make sure she knew me. “Thank you, Jack,” she said and went back to sleep.
© Copyright 2023 jamisonbrown (jamisonbrown at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2296164-White-Elephant