*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2296366-Uncle-Louis-Sepulcher-Part-II
Rated: E · Fiction · Ghost · #2296366
A slain war hero returns to bury his body.
Days went by. Lord Glaring heard nothing from Uncle Louis.

He began to think the exorcist might have been wrong: His long-dead uncle was not going to pay him a visit.


Then one morning, Lord Glaring woke up to the chime of his bedroom clock, as sunlight filled the room.


Through the rays of sunlight, Lord Glaring noticed, standing in front of his bed, the figure of a man covered in blood and wearing blood-soaked clothes. The spirit’s hand was missing two fingers. Looking up and down the spirit’s body, Lord Glaring saw several bullet holes. The spirit was also missing an eye and had a large bloody wound across his face.

“Are you the spirit the exorcist foretold would visit me?”

The figure nodded his head.

“Then I must be in the presence of Louis Glaring. Is that so?”

The figure again nodded his head. “Yes,” it said.

The exorcist described no wounds or missing fingers. This was not the spirit Lord Glaring expected.

“You are wounded. Did Lady Penelope see this?”

“I appeared to your aunt as she remembered me. She could not see the truth. Now that she is dead and passed on, I appear to you as I am. Do you wish to aid me in recovering my body?”

“Yes, I must.” Lord Glaring said. “But how? I do not know where to look.”

Uncle Louis grabbed Lord Glaring’s hand.

“Rise and walk with me,” he said. “I must be quick. My connection to this world grows weaker by the second. Soon my spirit will vanish and the only way to save my soul is for my body to be properly buried.”

“But, why?” Lord Glaring asked.

“A man’s soul, if not properly buried, walks amongst the living to assist in providing a proper burial for the body.” Uncle Louis answered. “This limited connection to the physical world only lasts until the death of the last living person to know you. When Lady Penelope died, I was able to request a brief extension but it expires tonight. That’s why I have been causing problems. So, I can take you to the starting place, but you must finish the job for me.”

“I understand my task, Uncle Louis.” Lord Glaring said. “Lead me where you must.”

Lord Glaring’s room disappeared. He now stood alone on a dirt road surrounded on either side by lush green fields. The air was clean, and no other people were around.

Ahead, in the distance, Lord Glaring could see a village. He followed the dirt road toward the village.

The village appeared abandoned. The patched roofs were covered in holes. The church bell tower was covered in moss. Lord Glaring could even see a family of geese seeking shelter from the sun in the dark tower.

Just outside the village, was a cemetery. As Lord Glaring approached the cemetery, he heard Uncle Louis’ voice in his head telling him to enter the cemetery.

As he walked through the cemetery, Lord Glaring noticed a large rock protruding from the ground in a corner.

“Approach the rock,” said Uncle Louis.

As he approached the rock, Lord Glaring noticed it was covering something.

Lord Glaring knelt down and looked to see what the rock was covering: a helmet covered in dirt. He could see, after brushing aside some of the dirt, that written on the helmet was “Louis Glaring.”

“Remember,” Uncle Louis’ voice said. “Remember the cemetery. Remember the patched roofs in the village. Remember the rock.”

Lord Glaring found himself back in his bedroom holding the helmet.

“My connection has ended. Look to the war records and remember what I told you. Find my body and bury it so I may find peace.”

With that, Uncle Louis was gone.

“Uncle Louis!” Lord Glaring shouted. “I need you!!!”

But there was no answer.


© Copyright 2023 bn skinner (bnskinner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2296366-Uncle-Louis-Sepulcher-Part-II