*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/433034-Reality-Check-1
Rated: E · Column · Personal · #433034
Do you ever need to just take time out to have a quick reality check? Want to know how?
At some point in your life you must have felt the need for a reality check. Sometimes the fast paced lifestyle we live in can cause us to temporarily lose site of our goals and priorities.

It is amazing how the smallest item can trigger an overblown response when you are trying to crawl out from underneath too much information and too many commitments. If you ever got furious at the traffic lights for not changing colour fast enough, or maybe you yelled at a dog because he barked in greeting. There are many signs that you have approached the stage where you need to employ a wonderful technique called the Reality Check.

How does a reality check actually work? Well, for every person it will take its own form and be comprised of a number of different steps. You can be sure that somewhere in your checklist you will find the following items:

Question: Why am I over-reacting to this? It’s just a stupid….
Question: Why would I even care, what difference does this make in the scheme of things?
Revelation: This event or occurrence really doesn’t have an affect on me
Seeking Confirmation: Talking to a friend or family member to get their take on the situation to see if you are really over-reacting.

The steps can vary in order and can be more intensive than those outlined above. Just remember, if a butterfly flutters past your cheek and you get angry because it dared to fly by you, then it is time for a reality check.

Join me next time for another Reality Check.


Do you have questions or comments that you would like addressed by Reality Check?
© Copyright 2002 hbalmerca (hblamerca at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/433034-Reality-Check-1