*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/445598-I-Believe-In-You
Rated: 13+ · Prose · Fanfiction · #445598
A lover reflects on what he's lost and what he still believes in.
This is a vignette that I wrote for the Harry Potter universe, though it's not exclusively limited to it. The pairing is Remus/Severus in my mind, but you can make it for any pairing you wish. It's written in Old World Free-Form (IE no contractions, etc) so don't expect it to be fully rhytmatic in the sense that poetry is. Enjoy!

I Believe In You

I thought …

I could finally stop hiding from my past.
I would be happy and find freedom within myself.
I could stop pretending and be accepted for who I am.
I would be content in thinking I had friends who cared for me.
I could fly away on wings of gold and forget my pain.
I would take away the unhappiness I have caused.
I could forget the injustice that is my life.
I would stay in your arms forever.
I could believe in you.

Was I wrong …?

When you left our bed, I was afraid for you,
I was sure you would return that night, but you did not.
Not the next day, or the next; they said I was foolish to wait.
I did wait though; I had to, because you had made me a promise.

You swore that we would die in each other's arms,
When it was our turn, we would gladly welcome in Death.
You said we had nothing to fear because our love was strong.
Apart I will not fear Death, because I know our love remains constant.

A week later was you funeral.
They told me it was all right to cry, but I would not shed a tear.
I could not; I refused, because to do so would mean you had lied to me.
And I know you would not lie to me, because you made a promise to me.

The years have come and gone now, my hair is all grey, my body slower to move.
I still wait for you though, I have to; I need to know you are still mine.
They say I have become touched because I still talk to you as if you are here.
I still have your scent in our bed, on my clothes; wherever I am, so are you.

I know what they do not though; you did not leave me, you are here.
I still see you; I hear your velvety voice as if it were at my side.
I still see you in our old haunts; the beach that you dreaded and I loved.
The garden that was your sanctuary, where you loved to read Shakespeare.

I still see the way the wind gently billows your hair, how soft it felt in my hands.
I know I am closer to death, that I have lived as long as I have is a miracle.
I know I will not die alone; I will die in your arms despite what they think.
How I know this is easy, you told me, because I still believe in your promises.

The day I died, you kept your promise; I was not alone, I was in your arms.
They were pale and cold, but I was not afraid of your ghostly embrace.
You held me until my last breath, whispering to me of what awaited me in death.
How we could enjoy the sunsets as one again, for we now had eternity together.

We both watched from afar when they carried my body to its grave.
Though they wept for me, I was not sad for my passing, for I was again complete.
They say spirits are born from tragedy, which is you and I are as such.
Yet though we suffered in life, we are content in our ghostly prison.

I know it is because we shall always be together, just as you promised we would.
Time will come and go and we shall be forgotten, but we will still have each other.
As spirits, we are young again, enjoying what had been taken from us so long ago.
I always knew I was not wrong … because I always believed in you.
© Copyright 2002 Piriotessa (piriotessa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/445598-I-Believe-In-You