*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/448237-Wisdom-in-the-Crags
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Article · Religious · #448237
At a distance, we seem lifeless. But there are stories behind our layers.
Wisdom in the Crags
By Marilyn Mackenzie


Through every window, in houses and in cars, the hills and mountains loomed in the distance. What a difference that was from the flat area of Texas where I lived.


Grand Canyon Storm Clouds


From a distance, they all appeared to be no more than piles of dirt reminding me of slag dumps I saw as a child. But a closer look revealed so much more to me.

Some hills appeared to have faces etched upon them. They were craggy, old faces – yes - faces that had seen so much and could have passed on their wisdom if only we had asked. But who among us asks the hills for their thoughts?

Other hills, upon closer examination, had some green among the brown dreariness. Though certainly not drenched in luscious greens, they also weren’t as ugly and dreary, as I first believed.

Some mountains contained roads that were regularly traversed by humans wanting to see the world from a high perch above. Perhaps they wanted to get closer to the clouds or to God in Heaven. Perhaps they wondered how His children might appear to God as He looked down upon us from above.

Yes, each hill, each mountain, at a distance appeared to be ugly, cold and dead. Upon closer examination of each mountain, its colors, its personality, its past and its life were suddenly evident. Each hill was unique. The crags in each mountain told a story to any willing to understand or to listen.

So it is with each of us, each of God’s children. At a distance, we may seem ugly, cold, without life. Upon further examination, we discover there are stories behind our layers.

Only by opening up to each other do we begin to recognize the wisdom lying beneath each surface. Only by allowing ourselves to be examined do we also allow discoveries to be made. Just like the rocks and hills, each of us reflects the Creator, each of us shows evidence of the Creator’s hand. But who will know if we remain that craggy and ugly hill in the distance?




How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!" Isaiah 52:7 NIV

You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. Isaiah 55:12 NIV


© Copyright 2002 Kenzie (kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/448237-Wisdom-in-the-Crags