*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/463777-I-CAN-Do-All-Things
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Article · Religious · #463777
Each day, I seek His will and ask that He use me in some small way.
I CAN Do All Things!
by Marilyn Mackenzie


book and glasses


Philippians 4:13 has been my favorite verse for years. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Perhaps you'll see the significance of the fact that I was born on April 13 (4-13). As a teenager one summer afternoon, I searched the entire Bible and looked at chapter four verse thirteen of every book of the Bible that had at least four chapters and thirteen verses.

There are some others I like:

Proverbs 4:13 "Hold on to instruction, do not let it go, guard it well, for it is your life."

Romans 4:13 "It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith."

Hebrews 4:13 "Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."

1 John 4:13 "We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us his Spirit."

This study as a teenager was not one of practicing numerology, but was simply something I did one one of those boring days when I wished that school was ready to start once more. (Can you believe that we did that? Or that our children continue with that same complaint, "I'm bored. There's nothing to do.") And, as a teenager sitting alone in my room on that summer day, I decided that Philippians 4:13 was my favorite verse and one that I would carry with me always. I'm glad I made that decision.

As a very young child, I was quite shy and insecure. The very first memory I have was one of being about three years old and hiding behind my mother's skirt and holding on for dear life. In school, even clear through high school years and college classes, I was willing to risk a failing grade rather than speak up in class. There were instances where teachers stood in front of my desk and almost yelled in my ear, thinking I was ignoring them or that I just didn't hear. Still I refused to respond to their questions out of fear of speaking up in class.

Country Road


Gradually, though, I remembered that verse from Philippians that I had written down and saved and carried around with me, and I began experimenting with voicing my opinions and giving answers. As I did, I discovered that my ideas and opinions were respected and not ridiculed. I was a good student, at least on paper, and my fellow students knew that. They even knew that I could write fairly well back then, because I had one wonderful English teacher who would read my papers to the class.

Fast forward a number of years, and I was living in Houston, divorced and applying for a job with a large home builder. The tests were long and grueling. But, I passed with flying colors and was given a wonderful job. My title was "administrative assistant" but the position paid well, the company had fantastic benefits, and I had a private office with a window and a fantastic view, and I heavy wooden, beautifully polished furniture like I'd only seen in magazines. I also shared a secretary with another administrative assistant and had all of my calls screened by a receptionist and my secretary. How exciting.

My first task was to write out an explanation of why homeowner's association fees in a particular subdivision in west Houston had increased dramatically when our development company took over from another which had declared bankruptcy. I wrote an explanation that anyone could understand, and yes, there were good reasons. A few evenings later I found myself in front of 300 angry homeowners having to explain the assessment increases to them. I not only survived, but I think I surprised my boss and the others in the office. They knew how quiet I was, and I'm sure they had doubts about my being able to even speak in front of 300 happy homeowners. What they didn't know was that as I stood at the podium, I took out a piece of paper and put it in front of me. On that paper were the words, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

A few years later, married and with a young child, I worked in home party sales and was quite successful and received promotions - to District Manager, Regional Manager, Regional Director. With each subsequent promotion, I spoke in front of more groups of sales representatives. Each year, I became more comfortable with this kind of work and found myself singing and leading cheers at sales rallies. Always in front of me, in my notes for each training session, sales rally or speaking engagement, were the words, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Then, one day, I found myself in a class of adults learning how to be Lay Speakers for the United Methodist Church. I realized how different, how much more important this new task at hand was than any of the jobs I had held where I had to speak. Speaking for the Lord is not something to take lightly. But, as I gave my first ten minute sermon for that group of students, who were as frightened as I was, I prayed for the Holy Spirit to be with me, and I read those words in front of me, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Each day, I seek His will and ask that He use me in some small way. Some days, I feel the need to write for Him. Today was one of those days.




© Copyright 2002 Kenzie (kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/463777-I-CAN-Do-All-Things