*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/471274-Roses
by Dave
Rated: E · Essay · Opinion · #471274
Take some time
A mile away from where I stand there is a highway that daily bears the travel of untold numbers of cars and trucks. Most of the people driving by are doing just that, going by. No thoughts about the land or people seen only as blurred images out their windows as they speed by. Although man-made roads now take people across this high, mountain valley, it wasn’t always so. In slowing down a little I can see this valley, known as South Park, for what it has been. It was a valley of glaciers and inland seas. It was a high park that was the home of herds of buffalo and Indians that came in search of game. It has been a resting place and destination of pioneer ranchers. Finally, it is becoming the refuge for city dwellers seeking temporary and sometimes permanent escape from their fast paced world of steel and cement.

The passing of generations brings change. The change usually comes from the desire to make life easier or more comfortable. We strive for a faster, more efficient way of doing things. There is a price to pay for this new and improved life. Sometimes we forget how we got there in the first place. Perhaps instead of always living for the here and now we should give a little bit thought to the people and events that came before. Maybe it would even be a good idea to stop and smell the roses before they are just an image on the computer screen.


For those who choose to think in verse and rhyme
Here is another version in "Take Some Time

Courtesy of ~LadyBee~
© Copyright 2002 Dave (rancher at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/471274-Roses