*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/471767-Arts-in-School
Rated: ASR · Essay · Educational · #471767
Should or shouldn't there be arts in our schools today?
Gradually over the years, the number of art classes in our schools have decreased at a rapid rate. Some of the main questions raised are: Why are the arts so important? What is the cause of these classes being pushed aside? Why should I be concerned? First of all, when I say arts, I don’t just mean painting and drawing. I also include music classes (such as band and choir), dance, theater, filming, and architecture. All of these subjects are just as important as the basics of math, science, history, language arts, and reading.
Why are the arts so important? Well, Albert Einstein once quoted, “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” He’s absolutely right! Knowledge does come very much in handy when getting a career as an adult, but to grow and discover new things, imagination comes in handy quicker. Imagination gave the first man the thought of going to the moon, which we did! Imagination gives us the motivation to do something while knowledge just informs us of it. Music is a big part of our world. In every culture music is embedded. Without music, everyone would speak at the same pitch with the same monotonic drone. Melody and harmony give humans our unique speech and impact all languages. Without architecture, how will we learn to build sky scrapers and towering cathedrals? As if trying to prove my point, look at the reknown architectures of the Greeks and Romans. Their unbelievable ingenuity and ability to meld it with art was amazing! Back in those times, boys (since girls stayed at home) took classes not only in math and science, but also in all the arts! No doubt about it, the arts are important and cannot be squeezed out of school curriculums. It would rob our generation and all those after of the ability to create beauty and rejoice in it.
What is the reason for the arts being pushed aside? In America, studies have proven that we as a nation are far below in the basic education materials compared to many other countries. In fact, we are among the lowest (that includes our most advanced students). Alarmed at this fact, several schools across the nation have deleted classes such as band and photo for a bigger variety of math, science, and English classes. I strongly believe that this is not the solution to our problem. Looking at Japan, one might learn from their system of learning. School is year round, with a certain number of weeks of no school in between. That way, information can’t be forgotten over summer and the learning process continues it’s way up uninterrupted. School days are longer, often lasting until 4pm, with more classes. A larger variety of classes are available math, science, and English… more so than in America. Both Japan and China are at the top of level testing due to this form of education. Our country needs to either adopt this system or create one like it so that we will no longer be ashamed of being at the bottom.
Why should I be concerned? Because… this is MY life, my home! As an adult, I want a fair chance out in the world and I want to be good at whatever career I choose. I want our country to maintain it variety of minds and creativity. America’s individualness is one of the reason’s we are a world power. If America has to be good in core-subjects, why not be the best in ALL subjects?
In conclusion to my protest for a change in our schools excluding the removal of the arts, I need to say something that is personal. I, as a person who enjoys playing the piano (and several other instruments), write fiction, and sings alto in choir, encourages everyone to consider the options I’ve suggested. In other words of Einstein, “We should take care not to make the intellect our god; it has, of course, powerful muscles, but no personality.” I don’t know about other people, but I want to be known for having a personality, not the brainiac who needs a life.
© Copyright 2002 Arctic Panther (shelahanne at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/471767-Arts-in-School