*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/473190-Live-for-Today
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #473190
Sometimes a person can make your day without even knowing it.
She was old. It showed in the lines on her face and the cane in her hand. Her steps were slow and her breathing was labored. I winced a bit when she began to speak in a raspy old voice. I listened to her words just the same.

"I have some green pants at home. I just got them. What do you have to match them? I don't want green, that will make me look sick. I want a white shirt."

I showed her several shirts, all white, that I thought she would like. To each one she made the same reply.

"That is beautiful! I'll take it."

She never asked the prices and that was a surprise. I just began to pile the clothing next to my cash register. She chattered about this and that and how her car needed to go to the shop. She said some things that made me laugh and some that made me sorry for her. She had a rough life.

She picked out a pair of shorts and a shirt to match, then she asked me if I would happen to have a mu mu. I did. She chose the gold one, from the back of the rack.

I put the odd article of clothing with the rest of the pile on the counter and began the tedious task of putting everything in the packages to go home with her. She continued to talk as I punched each item into my old cash register. She paused for a moment and looked as if she was thinking of something important. Suddenly with a softer voice than she had been using, she looked me in the eye.

"Honey, don't ever get old. At my age it is a blessing just to wake up in the morning. Walking to the bathroom is a feat some days. My legs don't work the way they used to, but they still get me around."

I totaled her purchase and told her the amount, it was about $90.00 or so. She giggled a little as she pulled out her checkbook.

"I don't get out much any more. I guess when I do I just go a little crazy. That's alright though. I just like to live every day like it will be my last."

I listened and smiled as she wrote her check very slowly.

She walked to the door and I said to have a nice day. She replied in a way that was not a surprise to me.

"I got up this morning. It is already a nice day. I am still standing and breathing on my own, it is a good day."

At that, she left the store, but her words lingered.

I was so worried about all my problems, bills adding up, income going down. I was so concerned about tomorrow that I forgot to think about today and all that it holds.

She taught me to live for today because there may not be a tomorrow. It is a lesson we all need to learn.

She was an angel, I could tell by the smile on her face and the look in her eye. Her voice was loud so her words would reach my heart.

Thank You Angel!
© Copyright 2002 Jamie Jo (jamie_jo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/473190-Live-for-Today