*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/482137-The-Healing-Color
by Roybe
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #482137
A widow begins to overcome her grief.
“Hello, Mrs. Abernathy.” The deep, rich, voice startled me, and caused my mare, Sadie, to twitch nervously beneath me. I looked over my shoulder and saw my neighbor, Larry Laughlin.



“Good morning Mr. Laughlin, how are you doing this morning?” I asked recovering my composure, slowly turning back to the rising sun and my memories.



“Quite well, thank you. How are you doing these days?” I couldn't make out his face in the deepness of the pre-dawn shadows, but I could hear the compassion in his voice.



“I'm doing as well as can be expected, thank you.” I didn't mean to sound brusque, but I really liked to be here by myself.



“I don't generally ride this early, but I figured since the day promises to be so pretty I might enjoy a full day out. Do you come here often?” His horse slid a little, down the slight hill where we stood, and bumped into Sadie, causing her to step forward. I turned to face my unwanted visitor.



“Mr. Laughlin, do you mind?” He looked at me.



“Oh, I'm quite sorry about that, it's the uneven footing here.” I looked close and realized he was blushing. Realizing the sun was close to rising I turned back to the east.



“It's alright,” I said, “I come down here as often as the weather permits me, it reminds me of Charles.” The sadness still registers in my voice. “It's been over a year and still I pine for him.”



“I understand. It must have been difficult to lose him in so abrupt a manner.” Carefully, the voice from the dwindling shadows pulls his horse closer to mine and faces east with me. “Why does the sunrise remind you of your husband, if you don't mind my asking?”



“Oh I don't mind. It's a very small secret that few people know about, but it's always very beautiful to see. My husband loved sunrise and sunset not because of the garish reds and yellows, but because of the most exquisite green color imaginable. I know, I didn't believe him either, but scientifically it's sensible, and it is actually there. As the sunrises, it splits the light into the color of the rainbow, with violet at the highest part of the sky and shading to red at the horizon. The opposite happens when the sun sets. If you watch the changing colors you will see a green color that is a shade so perfect I've never seen it anywhere else. That is what I look forward to when I come down here. It reminds me of him and allows me to relive a moment of life we had that was special to us.” Wiping a tear from my cheeks, I feel my chest quake quickly. Clearing my eyes, I look to my left and see my neighbor as if for the first time, realizing he is also crying.



“Mr. Laughlin, are you alright?” I ask confused by this open expression of emotion.



“Yes, I'm fine...look!” He says pointing out over the water

There, just above the horizon the layer of green air takes form, celebrating all that is lush, vibrant, and life giving in this world. I hear my breathing slow and stop and realize that the world seems to be doing the same thing. The magical moment seems to stretch forever. Then, as time constricts to normalcy, my breathing returns. My heart wants to see and feel it again. I look at Mr. Laughlin. I realize he's looking at me.



“Mrs. Abernathy, I am very happy you shared this with me. I would like to ask you to accompany me on this day's ride so that you might share more of these wondrous spectacles.”



Sitting straighter on Sadie's saddle, I stiffen at the request. Then the memory of the past moment fills my heart with the desire to return to my life. It's a difficult moment, but with all the courage I have, I gaze demurely into Mr. Laughlin eyes.



“Mr. Laughlin, please, call me Maggy. I think I would enjoy the day out. It's time for my life to begin anew and I would like you to be the person to lead me to it.”



"Maggy, please call me Bill. I'd be more than happy to be at your service, today, or any other. Let's wander down to the shore and ride along the surf.
© Copyright 2002 Roybe (roybe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/482137-The-Healing-Color