*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/487678-Howl-on-the-Breeze
Rated: E · Fiction · Animal · #487678
For my wolf pack-introducing Dark Stream
A light breeze blew through the thick leaves on the trees, now darkened by night, ominous and looming over me, an evil black against the deep blue sky. The scent of the pack that was just through those trees wafted towards me and I cringed. Night Star might've been my mother, but I, Dark Stream, was still a pup and not yet part of that pack. Hopefully, that would all change tonight with one call.

Although Dark Stream was what I was called Manika was my given birth name. Dark Stream was unusual for a wolf name, but I was named for my appearance, a very common wolf practice. Dark Stream came from the black, stream-like stripes that ran all over my otherwise light gray coat. My golden eyes draw in everything around me with the infallible curiosity of a young wolf pup.

I was the last pup my mother, Night Star, had in her litter this year and therefore would be the last of the pups to be accepted as a full-fledged member of the pack. As I waited for the call, I lied down on the cool dirt and rolled around onto my back. Lying there like that for a moment, I stared at the moon, entranced by it's light and beauty.

Suddenly, a sweet sound floated towards me on the breeze, filling my ears, which perked up by instinct. Sitting up, I tilted my head up and returned the call. Night Star had called me to the pack. It was time for me to join it.

Standing up, I trotted towards where the smell of the pack was concentrated. Stopping just before getting to the trees, I bared my teeth and scared anything away with a growl and a bark before running through them and into the clearing on the other side.

There, Night Star, my father GreyWolf, my brothers and sisters, and the other members of the pack sat, waiting for me. Taking a deep breath, I stepped forward and looked up at my mother. As she gazed down at me, I could feel the acceptance flow from the other wolves of the pack as they welcomed their new member. No longer was I simply Manika Dark Stream, puppy, I was now Dark Stream, member of the pack.
© Copyright 2002 Professor Q (rainangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/487678-Howl-on-the-Breeze