*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/517285-Part-29--Combat
Rated: XGC · Serial · Erotica · #517285
As heated passions rise, a deadly war rages, from which not everyone will return...
Note: This item has been rewritten and edited. All text in rose is BRAND NEW MATERIAL for this chapter of the story. In addition there are many minor changes to the original text itself. Please enjoy this new, expanded version of Part 29 and be on the lookout for updates to the next parts!


THE YOUNG KANA slumped forward, head hanging so his lappets dangled limply; his arms were bound behind the wooden post stuck in the ground not far from the jail cells and his wings had been hobbled, just in case. They were about the only part of him which had not been touched so far. Blood ran from small cuts upon his shoulders and breast, and his back had gone black and blue from the whipping which had been administered just before he had been tied here. A fresh brand had been put under his eye--SPY--and his breath came hard and fast. His fingers were bleeding from where his claws had been pulled out.

General Mahakhi stood before him, arms crossed, looking down at him with dark eyes. The Kenta'tapa, or Chief Examiner, stood not too far from the big Kana, still cleaning off the device he'd used to extract the scout's claws. Several captains and lieutenants were arrayed somewhat behind them, their faces varying shades of gray; only Mahakhi and the Kenta'tapa seemed unaffected by all they'd just seen.

Mahakhi flared his nostrils. "You have one more chance to speak, Sergeant, before we are through with you. Tell me what you know, and you may be spared."

For a moment all the younger Kana did was continue panting. A drop of blood spattered against the dusty ground before him and he took in a shuddery breath. His voice came, thin as papyrus.

"The...the Great Red Tribe...will fall...before the might...of the R...River Tribe," he whispered. His voice whistled; several of his teeth were missing, and blood trickled from his mouth.

Mahakhi's ear twitched. "You have told us this a dozen times and more. Your mere presence within our territory tells us that the River Tribe has plans on our own tribe. What I wish to know is how, and when."

The scout knelt panting for a few moments, then appeared to be struggling to find his voice. Mahakhi and the others flared their ears to hear him. "My name is...Sergeant First Class Rura...I am...a Kana...of the River Tribe..."

Mahakhi snorted. He pulled his sword from its scabbard and stepped toward the slumped Kana. The others standing behind him widened their eyes; Ahai'ikh and Hiath'ikh looked away, and Nehekhi shut his eyes tight, cringing. Even Captain Ahen looked uneasy when Mahakhi raised his sword in the air with both hands.

"You wish anything to be said of you, Sergeant?" Mahakhi asked.

The young Kana's breathing had picked up when he'd apparently noticed the general's motions and the sound of his sword being drawn, but now he let it out again, shaking. "Only..." He sucked in a breath as if gathering his strength to speak. "Only...that I was always loyal...to my tribe."

Mahakhi's nostrils flared. "So be it." He brought the sword down in a sweeping arc, and it met with the scout's neck, severing his head from his body. His spine stiffened for just a split second before his wings sank and he slumped limply; his head landed beside his knee with a sickening thud, and all of the lieutenants standing nearby grimaced and turned their own heads away. Mahakhi sliced his sword through the ropes which had been binding the young Kana, and his body fell over to the side.

He nodded at the corpse as he swept his sword against the earth, and two lieutenants came forward to retrieve it. "Take him and post him out upon the main desert road, which they should be taking," he muttered. "Stick his head on his sword. Leave his lappets and his wings intact. He did not betray his tribe; he died with honor. But he will be their only warning. If they choose to ignore it, then it is their own fate which they have sealed."

"Yes, Lord." Without further word, the scout's head and body were removed from the yard, and several Moru began cleaning up the puddle of blood which he'd left behind. Mahakhi jerked his hand at the others and they followed him into the main household. In the kitchens, slaves and lesser Kana were busy preparing the noonday meal, and the smell of the baking bread and roasting meat made more than a few of them look queasy.

"I do not like this method, Lord," Nehekhi murmured softly as they walked out of the heat and bustle of the kitchens and into the coolness and relative silence of the household. "I had always considered us above such things."

Mahakhi's ear flicked. "Normally, we are. But these are trying circumstances. It is either one scout, or our entire tribe. In such times we cannot afford to be soft with the enemy."

"Even so," Ahen spoke aloud, "we have very little to go on. We do not even know when they plan this attack, nor what their numbers will be."

"We will simply have to assume that they plan to attack immediately, and may already be upon their way. I've recalled all our own scouts and have made certain the walls are fortified. All of you already know the plans. They should be reaching us within the next day or so, judging by their scout's progress. All of you are to be prepared and ready at the gate by nightfall, or sooner, should the alarm be sounded before then." He glanced quickly at Ahen, then at Nehekhi. "If you wish to say anything to your mates or your Moru, now would be the best time, while there is still time left."

Ahen's face turned hard and he nodded curtly, then turned and paced off down another hallway. The others, still walking behind them, began disappearing in different directions. Nehekhi watched them go, biting his lip; he nearly jumped when Mahakhi touched his arm just slightly. The general didn't meet his eyes.

"You, too, Brother. I will not lie to you; I do not know how this battle will go. Favor is on our side, yet even the best-won battles have their casualties..."

Nehekhi averted his eyes and fiddled with his lappet. "I...I am afraid of saying anything to them," he whispered. "Especially goodbye. It is too final a word...and I hate leaving them again, after the last time..."

"They will be thoroughly protected here within the city. Your own lieutenant--Taka, is his name?--is in charge of the Moru quarters, and Nehef and Ahai'ikh will remain behind as well to guard the household. Lord Hiath'ikh and the barracks lieutenants are in charge of the wall, and you know as well as anyone that they are among the best fighters anywhere. If I remember rightly, the River Tribe is led by a senile old general, and this asinine cock of a captain; I doubt any threat will come from them. But the rest of their men are good fighters, and that is why I need you out there with me."

Nehekhi shut his eyes and nodded with a sigh. "I know...I will be with you. Just...give me a little time, to speak with my Moru, and prepare my things...and then I will be at the gate as soon as you need me..."

Mahakhi nodded. He squeezed the captain's arm. "They will understand," he said quietly. "You do it for the tribe."

"I do it for them," Nehekhi said, and clasped Mahakhi's arm back, before letting go and striding off down the hall.

* * * * *


Ameni had an awful feeling.

Word quickly reached the Moru quarters that an enemy scout had been captured in the desert, headed toward their tribe; Lieutenant Taka would not tell them much, but he did say that the scout was of the River Tribe, a fact which set the rest of the Moru to buzzing excitedly. Ameni did not understand what they were so on edge about; when he expressed his confusion, the others all started talking at once.

"To be most feared fighters in the north!" Hiakh exclaimed. "To lose this honor to T'uris-Kana! Tribe to slink home in defeat--East Tribe to become most feared!"

"They are ravenous dogs," Tai'ihet said in Moru. "They once plundered every tribe within reach, until Mahakhi-Kana beat their tails."

"They have not come back since!" Ki'amit affirmed with a nod; she held her pup up to her breast. "Mahakhi-Kana beat them soundly--T'uris-Dog did not even do a thing!"

"Defeat to be so thorough, word to pass to all tribes around," Kiakh added. "To even hear of it in the Red Tribe! Nehekhi-Master to laugh aloud!"

Ameni bit his lip. "Then...we do not have anything to be anxious of?" he asked, hesitantly; at this the Moru's enthusiasm dimmed, and they all averted their eyes. Captain Nehekhi arrived not long after, and the look on his face told Ameni everything. Immediately all of his Moru were crowding around him and clamoring for his attention. Ameni stood beside the wall and waited as he embraced and murmured something to each, before gently nudging them away. His heart felt as if it would crawl out of his throat, by the time Nehekhi at last turned his attention to him. He flinched slightly, and Ameni knew what he was thinking. He approached and clasped onto his arm, falling to his knees.

"Nehekhi-Master," he said, afraid to raise his voice. "Please..."

Nehekhi turned his eyes away. "You know the news...the River Tribe will be engaging us in battle, perhaps as soon as tonight. I must go with Lord Mahakhi..."

"Please, Lord," Ameni begged, clinging to his arm as if afraid to let go. "Please, stay here with us and guard the house...he can do without you. He has excellent fighters--"

"Of which I am one."

"But you are also our master--does that not mean anything?" Ameni gestured at the rest of the Moru; Nehekhi looked up to see their eyes were glimmering in the dimness. Ki'amit turned and burrowed her face against Tai'ihet's breast. "You should stay here with us--you cannot leave us now!"

"Ameni-Moru..." Nehekhi lowered his head to stare at the floor. Ameni had never seen him look so gloomy; even his lappets seemed lifeless. "You know I cannot stay here," he murmured softly. "You know I must serve Mahakhi."

"He is more important to you than we--?" another voice cried, and Ameni's head jerked up to see Thi'usa standing some distance behind him. The Moru was clenching his fists, wings flaring and tears streaming down his face; Ameni hadn't even known he was there. They made eye contact briefly, before Thi'usa scowled and turned to Nehekhi again, ignoring the human. "WE are your Moru! Do you not remember what happened the last time you left us--?"

Nehekhi cringed. "Quiet!" Ameni hissed, rising to his feet; he had promised himself, no matter how much he might be tempted, not to ever bring up that incident to compel his master to do his bidding; and so to hear it from Thi'usa stung. He could tell the other Moru was speaking out of pain, yet couldn't believe his own feeling of guilt over such a tactic; he turned back to the Kana and clasped his hand in his own.

"He does not mean it, Lord," he said. "But--but I would be lying, if I said we were not worried about what will happen..."

"You are all guarded closely," Nehekhi assured him. "Taka will keep watch over you all--you know you may trust him! And Nehef and Ahai'ikh are remaining as well. But the rest...the rest of us must go. Mahakhi needs us. There is no other way to protect the tribe. We believe Bakh'asu has given the River Tribe information, and we must act before they reach us." He paused, then added in a soft voice, "Lieutenant Djuta will be with us as well..."

Ameni's head jerked up, eyes widening. Nehekhi's own eyes were understanding; he put his hand to Ameni's cheek, touching him gently. "I know...how you feel about him," he murmured. "And I am not upset with you. I never have been. I only wish you had felt free to tell me, Ameni-mate...I just wished you to know, before I leave. You have never once made me regret bringing you in with me."

"N...Nehekhi-Kana," Ameni barely managed to say, choking on the words. The tears flooded his eyes and started to fall; he closed them when his master pulled him near and pressed his muzzle to his neck, holding him. The rest of the Moru looked on in silence.

"Ameni-mate," the Kana whispered in his ear. "I will come back...I promise. Of anything I have ever promised anyone, I mean this most of all. Please wait for me, Ameni-sweet."

Ameni nodded, unable to speak. He sucked in a breath, catching his master's scent as he pulled away; Nehekhi looked beyond him, his eyes roaming over the rest of the slaves. "I will come back for each of you," he said, his own voice cracking; the Moru's eyes glimmered anew, but they nodded without question. He turned to look at Thi'usa, who still stood nearby, and his face softened. "Thi'usa-mate..."

Thi'usa abruptly turned away so his back faced him. He stood that way, still clenching his fists, not speaking.

Ameni stared at him in disbelief, then glanced up at Nehekhi. The Kana's expression was hurt, but he merely gave a small sigh and let Ameni go. "I will come back for you, Thi'usa-mate," he said quietly, and turned to head back out the door. He paused in the doorway to look back at all of them once more, and Ameni sensed he was imprinting them all upon his memory, before he blinked and the Kana was gone. He took in a shaky breath and let it out; Lieutenant Taka glanced in at them, then the door closed, and the other Moru lowered their heads and murmured to each other, sniffling.

Ameni stood where he was, unable to move. His legs felt like leaden weights, the same as his heart in his chest; he willed the tears to stop falling from his eyes, but they would not obey. He shut them and forced himself to breathe.

This is necessary...he must go. There are greater things than us. He does this for the tribe. He does this for all of us. He does not want to go...yet he does. He is hurting, just as much as we are...perhaps more. He remembers the last time, too...

He promised us...he promised me. I know he will keep his promise. He has never lied to me, not ever, not once...


A soft noise caught his attention, and he opened his eyes and lifted his head. Thi'usa still stood where he'd been left, only now his head had lowered and his wings slumped; his shoulders shook, and he let out small choking noises which made Ameni frown. He hesitantly stepped toward the Moru, passing in front of him to see his face. Thi'usa's eyes were shut tight, yet the tears still streamed down his muzzle, dampening his fur. He bared his teeth and fought back a whimper.

"Thi'usa-mate...?" Ameni said softly.

Thi'usa quickly lifted one hand and rubbed it across his eyes, wrinkling his muzzle. "I am sorry," he said in a flat voice; then, when Ameni's brow furrowed, "That Djuta-Kana cannot be here, for you to speak to. I am sorry you have no one to turn to now. Perhaps Taka-Kana will keep you preoccupied."

He started to turn away, but Ameni grabbed at his hand, making him gasp and almost pull loose. "I am worried about Djuta," he said. "That he will be killed--because he is a good Kana. Just like Nehekhi-Master. But I came to speak to you. You are the one who is hurting most--you would not even speak to him! I know you are not like this! You are not angry with him!"

"I AM angry with him!" Thi'usa barked, yanking his arm free and snarling at Ameni. "He can leave us so EASILY now? Knowing full well what happened the last time? He cares for Mahakhi more than for us--?"

"We are thoroughly guarded. That thing will never happen to us again! And you know fully that Nehekhi-Kana cares for us more than for anyone!"

"Why then is he not here?" Thi'usa begged, then started sobbing. Ameni blinked at the abrupt reaction; the Moru sank to the floor, covering his face and quaking. Ameni knelt down beside him and lightly touched his shoulder; Thi'usa wept into his hands.

"Why must he go?" he cried. "Why not someone else? Why must Mahakhi-Kana go--any of them? Why can we not just be left in peace..."

Ameni felt his heart twist, but his face softened, realizing what Thi'usa's anger was truly aimed at. He moved toward the Moru and placed his arm around his shoulders, pulling him close; Thi'usa didn't protest, and burrowed his face against Ameni, clinging to him like a pup clinging to its mother. His sobbing continued unabated; the rest of the Moru watched them in silence, then turned away, as if to grant them their privacy.

Ameni stroked Thi'usa's head. "They do not wish to leave," he murmured. "You know this. They do this for us. So we will be safe. Everything they have done, and will do, they do for us."

Thi'usa shook. "But I am so tired...so tired of everything. Just when we are at peace, another thing happens...those robber dogs...that big brute at the market...the River Tribe...I just want us to be left in peace. After all of this, we deserve peace. My heart hurts from worrying."

"I know this, Thi'usa-sweet...we all do...yet this is the way of things." Ameni lowered his voice to a whisper, pressing his lips to the top of Thi'usa's head. "He will come back for us...did you not hear? He promised."

"He promised he would not ever leave us again," Thi'usa mumbled.

"And he must break that promise, for our own good. But I know him, and I trust him." He closed his eyes. "I trust Nehekhi-Master more than anyone I have ever known. Even more than Djuta. And I know he will return."

The Moru sniffled and nuzzled against him, his eyes still streaming; he grasped Ameni's arm, and Ameni stroked his in return. "A...Ameni-Moru..." His voice came out soft and broken, and he had to take a few shaky breaths in order to speak. "I...I am sorry that I..."

"Shhh." Ameni put his head against Thi'usa's and rocked him gently back and forth. "You do not need to speak...I understand, and I forgive...I forgave you long ago, Thi'usa-mate."

Thi'usa's hunched wings relaxed...and though he continued crying, it was softer than before, and Ameni knew it was simply all those tears he had refrained from shedding over the past days. They sat in the middle of the floor, holding each other, and it was as if the anger which had flared between them had never existed.

* * * * *


"Lord?"

Tas'hukh's ear flicked. He stood atop the household, arms folded behind his back, staring out toward the north gate as he had done many times that week. He at last made himself turn away now, at the voice which spoke up behind him; he looked back over his shoulder, his face hard and blank.

Lieutenant Djuta stood near the steps to the roof. "Lord," he said quietly. "All are prepared to depart from the city. Your presence would help us greatly, against the River Tribe."

Tas'hukh's ear flicked again. "Mahakhi sent you, then--?"

Djuta shook his head. "No...I came on my own. Because you are a good Kana, and you could help us."

Tas'hukh blinked. His hard resolve began to fade, and his vision of Djuta blurred slightly. He had to take in a breath to try to steady himself, and put a hand to his eyes.

"That dog..." His voice came low and muffled, almost a moan. "He killed my I'anen. He took away my I'anen."

Djuta paused, then came toward him. Tas'hukh wished more than anything that they could embrace, even though he knew it was best that it not happen...Djuta himself had announced the end of that life, and he had to respect that. Still, after a moment he felt a hand around his own; and he squeezed it in return, his chest hitching as all the pain of the young sergeant's death came flooding back to him.

"We will get him, Lord. I need only for you to come with me."

Tas'hukh took in a shaky breath and opened his eyes. "With you--?"

Djuta nodded. His eyes did not waver from Tas'hukh's.

Tas'hukh stared at him for a long moment, searching his face for any deceit, but of course there was none; Djuta had never once deceived him. After he was certain, he took in another breath and let it out. He was the one to let go of Djuta's hand first, and he straightened his armor, sniffing and wiping at his eye.

"Let me go get my war sword...and tell Lord Mahakhi I will meet up with him at the gate."

Djuta looked at him a moment more, then nodded. He turned and left the roof, disappearing down the steps. Tas'hukh turned to take one last glance at the city gate; he lifted his head and took in a breath, scenting the air, and for the first time in a long time...it smelled fresh, almost. Clean.

I will avenge you, I'anen. I promise. I do not know or care how...but you will not have died in vain. Please keep watch over me.

He let out his breath. Without another thought, Tas'hukh turned and departed from the roof.

* * * * *


The Sha of the great army trod the dusty earth, ears and tails flicking; night had long ago fallen, yet they had been traveling so long, without any rest, that none had any clue when daylight might approach. Their eyes had grown accustomed to the darkness and they watched the road ahead, wary for any arrivals. Their ears pricked at every noise, and their nostrils quivered at every imagined scent.

Captain Yekh'ef rode near the front, head hanging slightly and a dark look upon his face. A young lieutenant rode at his side, scanning the sky and then glancing at the older Kana, in succession. He looked concerned, yet did not speak for a long while.

"Lord," he said quietly after some time had passed thus. "Something is upon your mind...?"

Yekh'ef snorted. "Everything is upon my mind. My head is heavy, with all the thoughts that are upon it." He lifted it despite this, and sighed. "You see no scouts overhead yet--?"

The lieutenant shook his head. "None. Perhaps it's as Lord Sut'khut says, and they do not know."

"If they do not know, then they soon will." Yekh'ef didn't elaborate on how he knew. He sighed and rubbed his arms. "I am tired of traveling...I'm getting too old to fight."

The lieutenant made a face. "Do not say that, Lord! You are as able as you've ever been!"

A wry smile came to Yekh'ef's face and he met the youth's eyes. "You would say that, Hesi. You and your brother take after each other. You both have tongues of silver. I think you both get it from your mother--I always admired her tongue."

Hesi's face broke out in a grin. "I am betting you did, for more reasons than one!" he exclaimed, and Yekh'ef couldn't help but to grin in response. "If you worry about him, Lord, then you needn't. I'm betting he's even safer than we are! Lord Fe'kheru's always looked after us as if we were his own."

"Yes, and this is what worries me--both of you taking after Fe'kheru!" Yekh'ef retorted, earning another smile from his son before a call came out from ahead of them. Their smiles vanished and they craned their necks, pricking their ears to try to learn what had happened. All around them, the Sha were slowing down, bringing the entire army to a halt. Captain Sut'khut, riding in the lead, turned his head and jerked his arm at the air.

"Lieutenant--? You! Go check that out!"

Hesi paused uncertainly before Yekh'ef nodded at him. He climbed down from his mount and jogged past the lead Sha. Something stood beside the desert road, glinting in the moonlight. Hesi's pace slowed as he neared it; he leaned down and forward, fell still for a moment, then turned and abruptly came running back, eyes wide. He halted, panting, before Sut'khut, and his wings trembled. Yekh'ef frowned.

Sut'khut scowled. "Well? What is it, Lieutenant--?"

"It's--" Hesi had to struggle to find his voice. "It's--the scout, Lord. They--they must have found him."

"Scout--?" Sut'khut frowned, then climbed down from his own Sha. Yekh'ef followed suit, and a few of the other captains joined him, all crowding around the still form beside the road. Yekh'ef had to crane his neck to see over someone's shoulder, and his face went pale as soon as he recognized what they were staring at.

The body must not have been beside the road for very long, as it was still mostly intact, with just a few flies starting to buzz around it. Next to it, a sword protruded from the ground, a severed head impaled upon it. Yekh'ef recognized the face of Sergeant Rura--he had seen him just several days ago, before the young Kana had been sent off to scout for the tribe. He had been alert and eager and had even volunteered for the risky duty, back then. Now, his eyes were missing, and his mouth gaped open, a line of dried blood streaking his muzzle; his lappets shifted softly in the breeze, soiled with dust and blood. His body itself was littered with cuts and bruises.

Yekh'ef made a face, feeling his heart thud hard in his chest. The others around him didn't look much better on seeing the grisly sight, but Sut'khut merely snorted.

"A warning, eh? So they think to leave a warning for us?" He bared his teeth and jerked his hand in the air again. "Back to your Sha! The dumb brutes think they can actually frighten us off with a warning, and a piddling one at that!"

Yekh'ef blinked, then hurried forward to catch up with him when the other captain stalked back toward his Sha. "Sut'khut-Brother--?" he asked, just barely managing to get his attention. "You are going to continue--?"

"We are going to continue," Sut'khut replied, climbing atop his Sha.

Yekh'ef sputtered. "But--they captured Lord Rura. They tortured him! They left him as a warning--they know we are coming. There is no more surprise here--they will be waiting for us, with weapons drawn. They may even approach us as we speak!"

"So?" Sut'khut glared down at him and flared his nostrils. "Let them come! Then we get it over with all the quicker. I am tired of all this riding; it's about time we had someone to face! They live too damned far away for my comfort!" He waved, and the Sha started to move forward; Yekh'ef had to jump out of the way, and grabbed hold of his own Sha when Hesi brought it forward. He scowled as he hastily climbed atop it.

"Lord Sut'khut," he called out. "I feel you greatly endanger our tribe with this action. Our numbers are already thinned and this confrontation can only thin them even more."

"I did not ask for your opinion."

Yekh'ef's ears flared. "I did not ask your permission to give it! I strongly advise you--as a Kana elite and as your comrade--to turn us back now, and await Lord Fe'kheru's return. Then perhaps we will stand a chance."

Sut'khut yanked on his Sha's reins and it reared up with a squeal, making the Kana around him flinch back. "Do not tell me what to do!" he barked, baring his teeth. "I can do JUST FINE without Fe'kheru's aid! HE is the one who left the tribe and took your brat with him! I had thought YOU would have some sense. If this bothers you, go back and cower with your friend Khanef! And await our return like a whimpering dog!" He flailed his arm again, starting forward. "MEN! Pick up your pace! We have no more need to skulk like jackals. Onward to face the Great Red Tribe like KANA!"

Quite a few of the gathered soldiers raised their swords and hooted, kicking their Sha in the flanks and surging ahead after the captain. Bakh'asu tossed Yekh'ef an ugly grin before vanishing after them. There were some who did not respond so enthusiastically, however, and they all glanced toward Yekh'ef. Hesi looked at him as well, brow furrowed and face tense.

"Father...?" he murmured, uneasily.

Yekh'ef flared his ears and nudged his own Sha so it began to move. "It is too late to head back," he muttered. "They would come after us, and slaughter every one." He paused before adding, "Perhaps...if we face them...at least some of us will manage to survive. Or at least like poor Rura, die with dignity." And he kicked at his Sha again so it galloped ahead, Hesi and the rest of the River Tribe army hastily following suit.

* * * * *


Ameni held on to Thi'usa long into the night as the Moru cried softly, longer than Ameni had ever seen anyone cry. The rest of the Moru gave them their privacy, and he could tell, from peering around at them, that they were as anxious as he was. Tai'ihet and Ki'amit huddled near each other, cradling their pups and murmuring to them under their breath; Hiakh and Kiakh sat in the far corner, faces tense; and a group of Mahakhi's females, Simit, Akhahit, Thibu'het, and Dji'it among them, were clustered together at the other side of the room, their eyes glimmering. All around him, he saw grief, and from what little he knew, the battle had not even begun. Not that he had any way to know when it would begin...

"Ameni-human," Thi'usa murmured, and Ameni stroked his face. The Moru sniffled and rubbed at his eyes. "You said that you believe he will come back. Because he promised us."

Ameni nodded. "I have no reason to doubt him. He is the most honest person I have ever known. Even when he lied to Djiu, I could see the pain in his heart. He will come back."

"But what of the others...?" Thi'usa's brow furrowed. "Mahakhi-Kana, and Resikh, and Djuta...all of them? They did not promise..."

Ameni bit his lip. He had no response to give, without feigning a confidence he did not feel, and so said nothing. Thi'usa noticed his silence and lifted his head to meet his eyes. They stared at each other in the dimness. He saw that Thi'usa's eyes were wet, and with surprise realized that his own were as well.

Thi'usa reached up to brush his tears away, and his own face softened. "You worry for them all," he whispered. "Every one of them...those you know, and those you do not know."

Ameni stared at him a moment, then closed his eyes with a slight wince. "For every one of them, it is like a needle in my heart," he murmured. "And I know that no matter how many return, it will still hurt. How can one bear such a pain? At times, I even wish I were back among my own people...at least I did not love them, the way I love the Apsiu..."

Thi'usa reached up to touch his face. "You do not bear this pain alone," he said. "This is how one bears it. With another always nearby." He sat up, and drew Ameni close. "They are gone...but I am still here, Ameni-mate. I will be here with you, at least..."

He touched his forehead to the human's, and they sat this way for a long while, their breath coming soft in the still air.

* * * * *


The desert road was not so empty and barren, to the south of where the scout's body had been deposited. Here, a great line of Sha stood across the dusty path, blocking progress a good way down to the river and out toward the desert. More Sha were lined up behind them, and behind those, foot soldiers, all armed with swords and spears and axes and daggers. The few archers of the Great Red Tribe stood at the very back, covering the army with their bows. The Sha snorted and stamped their hooves impatiently; the Kana sitting atop them--black lappeted, blue lappeted, red lappeted--kept their eyes fixed straight ahead, hands poised over their weapons. The only other noise to be heard was the night wind whistling over the desert and flapping against the lappets and streamers which the Sha wore. A large red Sha stood at the head of the army, and General Mahakhi looked as if he wished to jump down from it and leave it behind. His purple lappets fluttered and he brushed one aside with annoyance. He squinted and shielded his eyes from the moonlight.

"Lieutenant!" he boomed, and gestured out at the road lying ahead. "Is that he, or one of them--?"

Lieutenant Djuta shielded his own eyes and stared ahead for a moment or two. "It is ours, Lord."

The few Kana around them who had been grasping their swords let their hands relax, as the scout came running forward, panting for breath. He halted and saluted Mahakhi, ribs heaving.

"They--they approach already, Lord--not too far away at all. It was all I could do to keep ahead of them once I spotted them. They're coming at a good pace--and I think they do not care about the warning, for they did not even try to stop me!"

Mahakhi glowered, but nodded curtly. "Well done, Sergeant. Join the rest of the ranks; you may have a long night ahead of you yet." He continued staring down the road as the scout disappeared among the soldiers. "Captains," he said, and several Sha came forward, Captains Nehekhi, K'tasai, Tas'hukh, and Ahen upon them. "I wish you to lead the troops alongside me. It is not often that captains prove their combat mettle, so here is your chance. Pray that you earned your red lappets because of your skills and not just because."

The captains nodded. They fanned out ahead of the army, though Nehekhi stayed close, clutching his reins tight, his face gray.

"Lieutenants!" Mahakhi shouted next, and even more Sha bearing blue-lappeted Kana appeared. The lieutenants saluted him. "You are in charge of the men! I do not doubt a single one of your abilities..." he trailed off, noticing Lieutenant Ki'ukha among their number, and the plump Kana swallowed hard "...almost a single one of your abilities, and I know you will all serve the Great Red Tribe to your best. Show valor! But I command you, use your heads! Valor does not mean foolhardiness! Sometimes when you are surrounded, it is best just to flee!" He kicked his Sha and it jerked and whinnied. "Though I am hoping they are the dogs who will be fleeing!"

"Lord," a voice called, and Mahakhi and Nehekhi both looked to the side. Lieutenant Djuta sat atop his Sha, and he saluted them when they noticed him.

"We are ready. Everyone awaits your command."

Mahakhi stared at him a moment, then turned back and scowled at the desert road. His eyes narrowed.

"Then all we have to wait for is them."


* * * * *


Thi'usa slid his hand down Ameni's arm, gently taking his wrist. His muzzle snuffled soft against Ameni's neck. Ameni shut his eyes and let out his breath. The Moru's touch was so gentle...so loving. He remembered his first time with Nehekhi, in the desert, under the moon...Thi'usa's tongue upon his warm skin sent shivers through him, and his anxiety slowly faded away. He found himself touching him back, his fingers running up the Moru's lean stomach, to his chest, his shoulders; his hands locked behind Thi'usa's neck and their mouths met, sucking hungrily. Thi'usa clutched his head and murmured into his mouth. Ameni whimpered and allowed the Moru to lay him back upon the floor. They pressed against each other, bodies writhing slowly. Ameni's head dropped back and he gasped at the air, not even caring that they were not alone; it did not matter. They would all find peace, in their own ways.

Thi'usa's hands reached beneath his kilt and deftly untied his loincloth. The human shivered again. Cool soft fingers caressed his hardening testicles, cupping them, letting them go; then trailed up his shaft, making him shudder and moan. His own hands sought purchase, and found it, in the golden ringlets between his mate's legs; he ran his fingers up and down, relishing his lover's growling murmur. Their hips pressed close and they shifted, moving as lovers do. Wet lips roamed hot bodies, eyes shutting, necks arching in gathering ecstasy.

* * * * *


Resikh lifted his ear from the ground and glanced up at the general.

"I can hear them approach from afar! They are on the move!"

Ki'ukha shifted nervously. "Do we just wait for them?"

"We should attack," K'tasai called out, from in front of his section of the army. "They will not expect an attack from us. We had best catch them by surprise."

"They grow closer," Tas'hukh murmured, from his own section. He gave the horizon an uneasy look.

"Lord?" Nehekhi prompted, looking to the general. Mahakhi stared forward resolutely, unmoving. The captains looked at him, then at each other, each uncertain. Mahakhi said nothing, even when a dark mass appeared finally on the horizon, growing larger, louder, moving closer. His fingers tightened upon the pommel of his sword yet he remained silent, watching and waiting. The other Kana followed his example, though their eyes were anxious.

The great dark mass approached, a low thunder forming along with it. Great clouds of dust rose into the air, tossed up by the impending approach of the River Tribe. Mahakhi's eyes narrowed and his grip grew tighter. His Sha whickered nervously. His sword made a hissing noise as he slowly unsheathed it.

* * * * *


Ameni's fingers fluttered over Thi'usa's sheath. He bent down and away from his mate's kiss to lick the swollen flesh, his tongue trailing over the velvety fur, relishing the gleaming ringlets that surrounded it. He took in a deep breath full of Thi'usa's musk. His tongue played about the rim of the expanding sheath to gently caress the shining head that emerged, the sleek shaft following it. Thi'usa murmured softly and cupped his head again and kissed his ear. From the sound of his breath Ameni could tell he was highly pleased, very much in the throes of desire. He squeezed his mate's buttocks, groaned, shut his eyes tight from the pressure building within. The Moru's fingers probed inside him and he arched. A moment later he bent down as well, and the warm tongue sliding along his length made Ameni shudder. He pumped his hips upwards and moaned anew.

"Gods," he whispered. "Thi'usa-mate...sweet Thi'usa-mate..."

"Ameni-human..." Thi'usa's voice was thick with lust.

Ameni turned about, offering himself. He arched his neck and shut his eyes.

"I will be your Moru tonight...sweet Thi'usa...I will so gladly be your mate, and take your troubles away..."

The low, responding growl sent shivers up his spine, making him tremble. "As I will be your Kana tonight, dear Ameni-mate, if you will allow me..."

Ameni's body shook with a tearless sob. "Oh gods...please, my Kana...please..."

Strong yet gentle hands seized his hips. A soft muzzle brushed against his neck. Again Ameni offered himself, shutting his eyes.

* * * * *


"We only offer ourselves for their slaughter," Tas'hukh urged, then shouted across to Mahakhi, "Lord, we must attack now!"

Resikh and Djuta, upon their Sha, had to hold the reins tightly to control the beasts. They stomped and whimpered and snorted. The ground shook hard; by now the faces of the approaching enemy could be made out through the dust, and Mahakhi squinted.

"Djuta! Your eyes have always been better than mine. Who leads them? Is it their general?"

Djuta peered ahead, one hand to his eyes. After a moment's observation he spoke.

"It is not their general, Lord. The one in their lead is Lord Sut'khut."

Mahakhi's lip curled back. "Somehow I knew he would be the mutt leading them...their general was old and addled even the last time we met, and barely even hurled his sword around while his captains did all the fighting. Perhaps the preening cock finally got it in his head to off him." He snorted. "Though Sut'khut is no spring flower himself. He is older even than I, and has most likely wasted all his vigor on fat old females long ago."

"They are fewer than us," Nehekhi said, "yet they are still sore from the last time. Perhaps what they lack in numbers, they will make up for in hatred." He cast Mahakhi a tense look when the general frowned at him. "I speak only the truth, Brother. Even if he is no spring flower, I heard how he nearly defeated you the last time. There is a reason why they were so feared. And they will do anything to take this position back."

Mahakhi responded by drawing his sword and holding it high. The others with him followed suit. "Then we will just have to beat that thought out of them," he stated, and stared once more at the rapidly approaching tribe. The Sha stomped their hooves nervously, looking ready to bolt. "Wait for it," he commanded, and the other soldiers did their best to control the beasts, although their own eyes were by now wide and wary. The enemy Sha's hooves pounded the ground; the enemy raised their own weapons and let out a guttural yell.

"Wait for it," Mahakhi urged.

* * * * *


Thi'usa's shaft rose hard and strong from its sheath. Ameni's own thrust out throbbing and earnest between his legs; his heart pounded within his breast. He arched his body and parted himself. His lover's stroke was purposeful, his voice soft yet commanding.

"Wait for me..."

"I wait, Thi'usa-love," Ameni panted, "I wait..."

* * * * *


Even before they had come within close enough view to properly see the looks upon the Great Red Tribe's faces, Yekh'ef could tell that they already knew.

His face paled as he stared at the great line of Sha amassed across the desert road far ahead, and the even greater ranks lined up behind them. He heard Hesi take in a breath, and turned to look at him. His son's face had likewise gone pale, and their eyes met.

"They--they will not be surprised," Hesi had to almost yell over the noise of their Sha's hooves.

Yekh'ef's face hardened. He turned and nudged his Sha forward, trying to catch up with Captain Sut'khut, who still rode in the lead. He managed just barely to get up beside him, and the look on the other captain's face made him want to recoil. The realization that their plans for surprise had failed didn't seem to have fazed him. Rather, he seemed elated.

"Brother!" Yekh'ef called out. Sut'khut's ear flicked but other than that he didn't respond, baring his tusks at the faraway enemy. "Our advantage is lost! Do you not see their number--? We cannot hope to defeat them! I urge you to turn us back!"

He nearly fell off his Sha when something slammed into his side. He grabbed onto the reins and whirled his head around to see that another Sha had run into his own, and he recognized the face of the strange Moru with the mangled wings. "Keep your place, mutt!" he yelled with an ugly snarl. "Let GENERAL Sut'khut do his work!"

Yekh'ef's eyes grew. "General--?" he managed to get out, before noticing again the look on Sut'khut's face. The other captain's eyes lit up on hearing the word and Yekh'ef could tell all reason was lost. A mad-looking grin spread across his face and he leered at Yekh'ef, tossing his head so his lappets fluttered.

"Do you hear that, Captain Yekh'ef? THAT is the name I will carry once we RETURN from here! And so if you do not wish your wings to be clipped, I suggest you stand down, and stop speaking against me! There is NO ONE here who will take your side!" With this, he turned away again and raised his arm into the air. "Show them we are not afraid of their facade! We will not even stop to discuss the rules of engagement--for there ARE none! ATTACK THEM WITH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE!"

Most of the River Tribe Kana lifted their swords and yelled, kicking their Sha in the flanks and surging forward after him. Yekh'ef clung to his Sha as it reared onto its hind legs, whinnying in terror at the noise and confusion. Hesi managed to come up alongside him and settle the animal before it could toss its rider, and together they both watched the rest of the army gallop past them, screaming and hooting in rage and glee. Hesi's face was almost white.

"Father--?" he yelled, his voice cracking.

Yekh'ef clasped his hand, and felt Hesi clasp his in return. He then drew his sword and cast the younger Kana a grim look.

"Remember what I told you. Do not look back. It's too late for us to return...so remember all I've taught you."

Hesi's eyes glimmered, and he bit his lip, but nodded. He drew his own sword, and they urged their Sha to follow the River Tribe as it bore down on the enemy.

* * * * *


At the head of the enemy tribe, Sut'khut at last became visible to all those lined up in the Great Red Tribe. His teeth were bared in a hideous grin and he waved his weapon at the air. Everyone's eyes kept flicking to Mahakhi, yet he still said not a word to command them to move forward. Those in the front waited for any signs of the army slowing their approach, yet none came; Resikh's brow furrowed in confusion.

"They aren't going to stop--are they?" he asked, voice breaking. "It's customary to stop!"

Nehekhi shook his head, his own eyes wary. "I do not think so...I do not think he cares for custom. Look at him...I believe he's gone mad. That is the only thing that could explain them instigating such a slaughter as this will be."

Upon his Sha, Tas'hukh frowned and then blinked. He leaned forward to squint and then let out a gasp. He was near enough for several of the others to hear him, and they glanced in his direction. He pointed wildly.

"Look! Who rides beside him! It--it is--"

Djuta gripped his reins so tightly that they cut into his palm. "Bakh'asu," he whispered in disbelief. For the equally mad-looking, slavering figure riding alongside Captain Sut'khut could not be mistaken. Bakh'asu flailed his tattered wings, gnashing his teeth as he pounded his heels into his mount's flanks hard enough to crack its ribs. The look within his eyes was uglier than that within Sut'khut's. All those within earshot of Djuta's speech gawked, then began passing word to each other of who had really tipped off the River Tribe. Their Sha fidgeted and tossed their heads even more.


"Wait," Mahakhi repeated.

The other Kana shifted, eyeing the enemy, nostrils flaring.

"They...they come," whispered Ki'ukha.

* * * * *


A hand brushed softly against Ameni's cheek, his eyes shut and his breath coming soft and quick.

"I come, Ameni-sweet...open yourself for me..."

* * * * *


Mahakhi brought his sword into position. The distance between the two armies rapidly shrank. Nehekhi bared his teeth and clutched his sword, eyes wide. The River Tribe finally passed whichever invisible boundary Mahakhi had envisioned for them, and with that the general swung his sword forward and let out a bellow.

"STRIKE THEM DOWN! EXACTLY AS WE DID THE LAST TIME!"

Nehekhi whirled his sword into the air and yelled. The other Kana followed suit. Kicking their Sha's flanks, they vaulted forward, thundering across the ground, rapidly closing the gap between the two armies.

* * * * *


Ameni's body tightened. Thi'usa's hips met his own, his thick member invading him deep inside, thrusting far within. He moaned loudly at the air.

"Thi'usa-mate..."

"I am your Kana," Thi'usa whispered, voice hoarse, heavy with panting. "I mate you now, little sweet..."

"Yes..."

Powerful hands seized his thighs. He pushed far, pushed deep. Ameni cried out. Their bodies began to rock in rapid rhythm, a frenzied pace of love and need. Ameni knew it would not be long.

* * * * *


The two Kana armies met and their swords clashed, a terrific pandemonium of noise. The Sha immediately tangled and twisted and mixed in among each other as the orderly formations of both armies quickly vanished. The two tribes snapped and barked and hissed at each other, eyes flashing with hatred. They had not been fighting for five minutes yet before the first blood was spilled, and with a few precise swings of the sword, several Kana fell to the ground and disappeared from sight. The smell of blood fueled the rest of them on, and they screamed and slashed at each other. Everyone knew the battle would not be long, but it would be decisive.

Mahakhi sought out Sut'khut, having to crane his neck and glance about, fending off attacking soldiers, before he spotted the enemy captain riding straight toward him. He bared his teeth; Sut'khut swung his sword, and their hilts locked. Mahakhi's Sha squealed as he was wrenched in a half-circle to come face to face with the other Kana; they snarled at each other, eyes blazing, so close that they could feel each other's breath. The muscles in Mahakhi's arms screamed as their weapons shook, stuck fast.

"I can see by your eyes that you remember me, General!" Sut'khut snarled, still grinning madly.

Mahakhi's muzzle wrinkled. "One such as you is hard to forget! And not for any GOOD reason! As I recall it--" he yanked on his sword, nearly dragging Sut'khut from his Sha "--I sent you dogs running home with your tails between your legs! Oh--and what else was it I did?" Their swords finally parted with a clank, and they each drew back a step, panting hard. "That's right," Mahakhi said, and lifted his sword to point it at Sut'khut's lappets. "I took THOSE pretty things, too!"

Sut'khut's lip curled back and he brought his sword up again. "All this time I have dreamed of this day," he rasped. "The day I would take your HEAD in return! NO ONE humiliates me and lives to brag about it! Our tribe is DYING because of you!"

The general snorted. "I am to believe you give a damn what happens to your tribe--? YOU are the one who brought them to this massacre!"

The captain let out a scream and flailed his sword over his head. "YOU ARE THE ONES WHO WILL DIE TODAY!" he shrieked, and launched himself at Mahakhi again. Mahakhi braced himself, and shuddered at the shock which passed through him when the blades again met. They parted, and swung, Mahakhi blocking Sut'khut's attack and then lashing out at his enemy's belly.
He missed.

Not far away, Djuta's Sha galloped straight toward its target. He held out his sword, his eyes set. Bakh'asu, too busy cutting open the stomach of a hapless sergeant to see him at first, turned his head and spotted the Kana, then barked with hateful laughter. He grasped hold of the ax the dying soldier let slip from his fingers and spun it in the air, rushing forward to meet him. The two clashed, struggled, separated again.

"Hello, Lord Djuta!" Bakh'asu spat. "My desire and my downfall, all in one exquisite body! I am sorry I had to leave you so abruptly, but I'm here now. The only reason I am here, to make certain you get what you deserve for what you did to me!"

"The only reason you are here is because of your own stubborn cock," Djuta returned. "However you try to control it, yours has a will of its own, and will always seek out trouble as the cock of a Moru trader seeks out his whore. This is all you have ever been, Bakh'asu, a whoring mutt, and a disgrace to the Kana."

Bakh'asu's eyes flashed with fury. He bellowed and swung his ax at Djuta's head--he missed. The lieutenant swung upright from dodging the blow, just in time to see that the Moru still wielded his sword; his eyes went wide when Bakh'asu snarled and jabbed it straight at him.

Clank. The sword flew from his hand to disappear in the mess of struggling Sha, and Bakh'asu was left gaping after it; Djuta glanced to the other side to see Resikh riding out of harm's way. Their eyes met briefly before he was gone, and Djuta let out his breath. He sucked it in again when Bakh'asu let out a horrible gurgling scream, starting low and rising to an earshattering pitch. He hefted the stolen ax, spittle trailing from his tusks and mangled wings flaring.

"THIS IS THE LAST TIME YOU WILL BEST ME, YOU LITTLE PRICK!!"

He brought the ax down as hard as he could. It connected with skin and bone with a sickening crunch, and Djuta fell to the ground. He gasped and rolled to the side just in time to avoid the weight of his Sha as it collapsed in a tangled heap, its spine severed. Bakh'asu yanked on the handle of the ax several times, trying to pull it free, just as Djuta shot to his feet and sprinted at him. His sword ran forward, straight and true, its blade jabbing neatly through Bakh'asu's ribs and out his back; the two of them pressed close for just a second, and Djuta could smell him, and see clearly the pale brown color of his eyes, before yanking his sword free and jumping back.
The big Moru blinked at him with a comically surprised look and gagged, blood spewing from his mouth. The ax slipped from his fingers and he sagged forward upon his Sha, which squealed at the smell of gore and bucked, tossing him from its back. He landed upon the ground with a dull thud, and the creature trampled over him in its escape, snapping the bones in his wings; Djuta grimaced and turned away, grabbing hold of the Sha before it could lose itself in the melee and pulling himself upon its back. He turned it away from its former master, and rode back into the battle.

Mahakhi and Sut'khut still swung at each other, their own weapons alone creating a terrible racket. Nearer Djuta, Nehekhi locked hilts with one of the captain's lieutenants. He was not in as good a shape as Mahakhi, physically; yet he held his own. The fighting Kana struggled against each other, stumbling and pounding, each seeking to claim the ground as his own.

* * * * *


The two mating lovers, human and Moru, struggled against each other, pushing, straining. The Apsiu held Ameni's hips to him tight, grunting hurriedly. He ignored the other Moru who watched them in silence. Ameni wailed aloud, his body giving beneath his mate's movements. His voice rang clear and high.

"My Kana! My Kana!"

Thi'usa gritted his teeth and pushed, pushed, grunting, pulsing. His hips sought eagerly to claim his mate, to claim him as his own...

* * * * *


Mahakhi's and Sut'khut's Sha stumbled. Sut'khut fell with a cry, but grabbed onto Mahakhi's arm and dragged the general down with him. They fell to the ground in a dusty heap, then staggered to their feet, coughing and wiping at their eyes. Sut'khut growled and lashed out at the general as he still blinked to clear his vision. Mahakhi ducked and kicked the captain between the legs; Sut'khut gasped and doubled over, then Mahakhi's fist cracked into his jaw, nearly sending him tumbling backwards. He managed to catch his balance and shook his head dizzily, wincing; he blinked a few times, spotted his enemy, and snarled.

Mahakhi snorted. "I think that what I did to that thing between your legs can only be an improvement!"

A vision of the Moru girl, clicking her teeth together and grinning, flitted through Sut'khut's head and his lip curled back, rage seething up into his breast. He whipped his sword out at his side and Mahakhi did the same. The fray continued around them as if they were not even there. They circled each other slowly.

"I think," he hissed as they paced, "that what I shall do to your head will only be an improvement!"

"You speak of uncertain outcomes as if they have already occurred. Why do you not go back to your piddling tribe and lie under your rock for another few years," Mahakhi snorted. "And then send us back a more fitting opponent, when the time is right. I grow tired of clashing wooden swords with you."

Sut'khut let out a barking laugh. "Wooden swords! You would have much experience with these, I suppose! What did you do, kill off T'uris with a splinter?"

Mahakhi swung at him and he parried the blow, jumping to the side. "At least I killed him," the general said. "I notice you do not yet wear the purple lappets...? What's wrong, Lord Sut'khut? You look rather like a dog straining at its leash right about now. Won't your old general set you loose? Or did you commit the foul deed, and the rest of the men won't give you your pretty lappets just yet?"

Sut'khut's muzzle wrinkled in rage. "I hardly need to kill a senile old bat to prove myself! And at least I am willing to lead my men into a glorious battle to win back our honor! What have you been doing all this time--? Mating your little collection of whores? How many do you have by now, twenty, thirty? Word has it that you have quite a weakness for the little things!"

Mahakhi blinked, and Sut'khut was almost ready to grin in glee at finally having found a sore spot; but then the general smirked in return and raised his sword.

"You would know, would you not? Word also has it that you have quite a fondness for them, too...is that what happened? You could no longer fatten up the general's prime females with your filthy seed--and so you came out here to swing your sword around? What, you cannot even buy a Moru who will let you stick that dirty thing in her willingly--?"


Sut'khut's eyes widened in disbelief. He nearly dropped his sword, his hands began to shake so badly. His knuckles went white and he threw back his head, bellowing with rage.

"YOU FILTHY CUM-TONGUED MORU! YOU WILL DIE FOR THIS!"

Mahakhi just laughed. "So I strike a sore spot? I will keep this in mind in the future! Lord Sut'khut, noble general! He who cannot even ask for nesakh'ai from his own Moru without bribing them!"

The captain screamed, enraged. He swung his sword and Mahakhi jumped back with a hiss, clasping a hand over his arm; a thick line of red opened up and began to drip down toward his hand. He stared at the wound for a brief second before jerking his head up and parrying Sut'khut's next blow. Again their hilts locked; the two Kana faced each other with teeth bared, dripping with sweat and blood and their eyes burning with bottomless hatred.

* * * * *


Ameni's and Thi'usa's hips locked tightly together. Their strokes grew more rapid, frenzied, desperate. They bared their teeth, bucking, dripping with sweat and salty fluids.

Ameni tossed his head, trembling hard, moaning loudly. "Maaasterrrrrrr..."

* * * * *


Mahakhi and Sut'khut struggled in the dust, knees bent and swords crooked at an uncomfortable angle, snorting and snarling in each other's face. Neither could lift his sword, or reach for his dagger, without getting wounded by the other, and so it looked as if they would remain locked together for a long time, or until one of them gave out. Mahakhi's arms were burning with pain, the cut throbbing; it continued leaking blood, and his head was starting to feel faint. He breathed hard, trying to keep his focus; the vision of Sut'khut before him grew hazy, though he did see the captain grin.

"What is it, General?" he rasped. "Getting too old and tired for this?"

Mahakhi bared his teeth and gripped his sword even tighter. He considered letting go and reaching for his dagger; this would entail earning a stab to the ribs or chest, but at least he could probably bring down the River Tribe captain with him. A brief glance at the fighting continuing all around them showed him that the two tribes so far seemed evenly matched, though he believed he noticed a slight shift in the Great Red Tribe's favor. This gave him a bit of hope, and he loosened his grip just slightly, readying himself to grab his dagger and plunge it forward as hard as he could.

Grant me the strength to kill him, as surely as he will kill me...!

A loud whinnying noise almost broke his resolve, and Sut'khut's head jerked up. A Sha suddenly appeared beside Mahakhi, and Captain Nehekhi leaned out and swung his sword at them. His blow effectively broke the two free of each other, and both stumbled backwards, arms pinwheeling. Mahakhi met Nehekhi's eyes for a split second--Thank you, Brother!--before a harsh screaming sound brought his attention back, and he glanced ahead to see Sut'khut running straight at him, the ugliest look possible upon his face.

"You will not best me again!!" he shrieked.

Mahakhi stood and let him approach, dodging aside at the last minute. He could not believe it when Sut'khut ran right past him, nearly tripping over his own feet in his attempt to stop; before he could whirl around, the general whipped his sword through the air, and the blade slashed through Sut'khut's wing, severing membrane and bone.

Sut'khut tossed back his head, bellowing in agony; he flailed his wings and nearly dropped his sword, the severed wing flapping uselessly at the air. He clutched at it with his free hand and bared his teeth at Mahakhi, tears streaming down his muzzle.

"YOU MORU FILTH!! YOU WILL PAY DEARLY FOR THIS--!!"

Mahakhi gawked, then let out a vicious laugh. "You are the Moru!" he retorted scornfully. "Not I!" Sut'khut continued clinging at his wing and howling, and Mahakhi brought his sword up before him with a grim smile.

"What do you say then, General Sut'khut--?" he asked, and Sut'khut lifted his head to look at him again, his eyes wide and--dare Mahakhi think it?--afraid? The odd expression confused him, yet he shook his head to clear it and his lip curled back. "What do you say, then," he repeated himself, "if I were to slash open your other one and send you back where you belong? Are you Moru enough for that?"

Sut'khut stared at him, eyes wide and glittering and teeth bared. The two Kana remained frozen in the middle of the battle, their fury crackling in the dusty air, almost palpable enough to touch.


* * * * *


Thi'usa swayed, shut his eyes, clasped his friend. Hips pushed insistently. His voice came soft and hoarse, quivering with need in the damp air.

"My Moru...my Moru..."

* * * * *


Yekh'ef's head jerked up as the sound of Sut'khut's bellow of pain echoed through the battle. Several other of the River Tribe Kana followed suit, glancing from left to right to try to spot their leader; Yekh'ef finally located him far to the south end of the battlefield, and through the writhing struggling mass of soldiers managed to catch brief glimpses of what was going on. He saw the enemy general, his sword dripping with blood; then he saw Sut'khut, clutching at his wing, red oozing between his fingers. Yekh'ef's eyes widened and all the breath left his body.

He will die--!

Our tribe! Our
tribe will die--

Khanef--

METERI--!


Muzzle wrinkling, Yekh'ef pushed away the sergeant who was busy fighting him and made a mad dash toward the two at the other side of the battlefield. "SUT'KHUUUUT!" he bellowed, not caring whether the captain lived or died, but knowing what it would entail if he did not make it. All thoughts of self-preservation left his head as the faces of his sons flashed through his mind--of the once mighty River Tribe, vanishing into the dust of the desert, its occupants nothing more than corpses--and he shoved every other Kana, enemy and comrade, out of his way as he ran, his sandals pounding the cracked and bloodstained earth and his sword rising over his head. Mahakhi and Sut'khut came ever closer, and he aimed himself at the general, eyes flashing madly and a scream rising in his throat.

WE WILL NOT DIE--!

Even before he saw it, he heard it, somehow--the hoofbeats of a Sha, coming up behind him. He did not know why they stood out so much, with all the other noises, yet they did--as well as the lance of pain which suddenly tore through him, a searing heat bursting in his breast--a brief glance down showed him the tip of a sword protruding from beneath his sternum, and he stared at it, mystified, until it disappeared. The Sha galloped past him as if in slow motion, and Yekh'ef lifted his head to see the Kana lieutenant riding it. Their eyes met, and the moment lasted such a long time that Yekh'ef could even read the words upon his lappets--Great Red Tribe--General Mahakhi--House of Djetef--Lieutenant Elite Resikh--before the younger Kana turned his head away, breaking eye contact, and kicked his Sha in the flanks, the beast galloping agonizingly slowly back into the melee. It was only when Yekh'ef saw the red lining his upraised sword, and knew where it must have come from, that realization hit, and with a snap everything around him sped up again, swords clanging and Sha squealing and hooves pounding, dust rising up so heavily that it almost clogged his lungs, the searing feeling in his breast changing into a dull throb as Yekh'ef slowly sank to his knees.

He collapsed upon the ground, another Sha nearly missing his wings, and stared at the sea of legs which surrounded him, his breath fanning across the sand.

"FATHER!"

The shout was hazy, yet he remembered the voice. Yekh'ef tilted his head back to look behind him, and saw Hesi running toward him, again in slow motion. His son's eyes were wide and wet, his face full of grief; Yekh'ef wanted nothing more than to stand up and comfort him, let him know he was all right...he started to lift one bloody hand to show that he had heard, when--THUNK--Hesi's eyes grew even wider, and Yekh'ef's did the same, a bolt of panic spearing through his brain.

Hesi--

Meteri--!


As Yekh'ef watched, Hesi fell to his knees with a thud, his entire body going limp as a ragdoll as he fell forward with another dull noise. An ax handle protruded from his back, blood starting to seep up around it. He fell with one arm extended toward his father, his wings slumping down over him; Yekh'ef's face screwed up and he started trying to drag himself closer, but could move only close enough to touch his son's fingers. Hesi's hand was cold. Yekh'ef's eyes overflowed with tears and he sucked in a ragged breath, the tang of blood flooding his mouth.

"H...Hesi...S-Son..."

He took in another shaky breath, hearing the younger Kana do the same. Hesi's icy fingertips pressed against his own, then their hands curled around each other, grasping tight. Father and son touched each other, before both sinking into silence, their hands still clasped even as they let out their last breaths.

* * * * *


Sut'khut's scream echoed all throughout the battle, and it was as if the resolve of the River Tribe at last snapped on hearing the sound. The effect was almost immediate, as almost every member of the enemy tribe seemed to waver at once--and the Great Red Tribe Kana lunged at them harder than ever, taking advantage of the lapse. Within the space of a few short moments, several dozen of the enemy Kana fell dead to the ground; some turned and at last tried to flee, though most stood their ground to the very end.

The Great Red Tribe Kana showed them little mercy. Captain Tas'hukh swung and beheaded a captain as he rode by, his tusks bared with rage as he imagined I'anen's face. Lieutenant Resikh jabbed his sword upward, disemboweling a sergeant before riding on to the next victim. Captain K'tasai lunged at a lieutenant and dragged him screaming from his Sha, slicing through his wings and slitting his throat. Another screamed and fell upon him, gashing his cheek and stabbing deep within his side so the captain winced; with a yell, Lieutenant Ki'ukha rode up and drove the pommel of his weapon down into the lieutenant's skull, smashing in his brains. One by one the River Tribe Kana fell, until those few remaining fought as wildly as mad dogs, as if realizing their direful situation. It was too little far too late, and another and yet another cry broke off as they were silenced forever, their bodies littering the trampled ground.

Sut'khut turned away from Mahakhi for but a moment, and Mahakhi let him, for the captain was looking back at the results of the battle he had prepared himself for so carefully. He did not expect to see so few of his men left standing; as he watched, several of those captains who had backed him the fullest were slain, and he could not see any of his own lieutenants anywhere. By now there were so few of the River Tribe Kana that those of the Great Red Tribe were making passes across the battlefield, slashing at those lying upon the ground to make certain they were dead. The stench of blood filled the air, making his nostrils prickle; the sun at last began to glint over the horizon, its rays lighting the scene and making it even more horrific than it had been in shadow. Sut'khut bared his teeth, feeling something he had never quite felt before, and it confused him so much that he didn't even know what to call it. For the very first time in his life, he felt panic, and he had no idea what to do.

"My men--!" he croaked; then turned back to Mahakhi, lip curling back and tusks grating. Tears spilled from his eyes and he sucked in a ragged breath, chest hitching. His voice cracked when he spoke.

"You...you have done this!" he cried, and let go of his slashed wing to better grip his sword in his hands.

Mahakhi gave him such a look that he would have given anything to rip his throat out at that very moment. The big general looked pitying. "I did not do this," he said. "You did. Who is the one who demanded battle when he was not ready...?"

"I was ready!!" Sut'khut bellowed, lifting his sword high over his head. "I WAS READIER THAN I HAVE EVER BEEN IN MY LIFE! All these years I have waited to KILL you myself! You have MURDERED all my men! MY MEN! I CANNOT LOSE TO YOU AGAIN!!"

He charged at the enemy general, stumbling yet keeping his balance, letting out a mad shriek as he did so. Mahakhi simply stood where he was and watched his approach with that same maddening look, and Sut'khut swung his sword back, ready to slash it right across his face. He didn't even bother shielding himself, his insane rage was so complete. His scream was so loud that he couldn't be certain if he heard the general speak right, or at all--"Do not claim what is not yours!"--but he did not really care. His arm swung back and his jaws gaped wide, his voice shrill and his bloody fingers crooking as he bore down on his target.

His scream cut off in an instant. Mahakhi swung his own sword, and Sut'khut's flew through the air to land with a clatter, the general's blade severing his neck and lopping off his head. It thumped and rolled over the ground, tongue lolling, eyes wide. Sut'khut's body collapsed just as Sergeant Rura's had--and with that, the career of Sut'khut, captain elite of the River Tribe, came to an abrupt end.


* * * * *


Ameni's and Thi'usa's lovemaking continued even quicker than before, their thrusting rapid, hurried, desperate; their bodies rocking, muscles tightening, voices moaning. The pressure rising within both, begging for release, ensured that it must soon end.

Ameni tossed his head back, eyes shut, body quivering; his fingers dug into the ground, his buttocks tightening and then loosening with every thrust. Thi'usa's shaft felt like throbbing fire within him; Thi'usa's breath, hot and fast, seared his neck. "My Lord...my Kana..."

Thi'usa bit at his nape and growled. "My Moru...Ameni-sweet..."

"My Kana...my Kana...oh Thi'usa-mate...oh Thi'usa-mate...!"

"My sweet one...my dear one...my Ameni...!"

* * * * *


Mahakhi wiped the blood from his sword against the ground and caught hold of his Sha before it could run away; he winced and held onto his wounded arm, lifting his head to peruse the battlefield. All around him, the enemy Kana were thinning, perishing under Mahakhi's men, or fleeing for their lives. A number of his own Kana lay dead upon the ground; his heart hurt to see them.

It was necessary. To save the tribe.

He forced himself to stand upright, although every muscle in his body hurt, and took in a breath, shouting as loudly as he could. "K'tasai! Tas'hukh! Ahen! Nehekhi! All of you! Come together--stomp down every last one you can! Show them whose tribe shall prevail! SHOW THEM NO QUARTER!"

A few of the remaining enemy Kana wailed and turned about to run. Some had their wings slashed; others were killed outright. Djuta cut off the ears of one who ducked in time to avoid losing his head; the one Resikh dealt with was not so lucky, receiving a mighty gash to the chest which severed one of his arms. Mahakhi stood next to his Sha and watched as every last one of them was slain, and for once in his life had to struggle to keep the neutral look upon his face. He detested such measures as slaying fleeing cowards...yet the thought of them possibly returning with more reinforcements, no matter how meager, made his chest ache with dread. And so he merely watched as the lieutenants did the bulk of finishing the job, picking off the few stragglers who remained before they could run off very far into the desert. The rest of the Kana still upon the battlefield began jabbing their swords into the bodies to make certain they were dead; when they spotted Sut'khut's body, they came straight for it, spitting and kicking it while the general stood aside and watched in silence. He said nothing as a few of the sergeants lifted their kilts and urinated on the dead captain, but when they threatened to butcher his corpse he at last waved them away, seeing that none of the River Tribe was left. The lieutenants and captains were returning, their hands bloodstained, their faces grim. Mahakhi took a quick headcount of his top men. K'tasai was the worst off of the lot, and even he seemed to be holding his own. He spotted Nehekhi, and felt some relief; then Djuta and Resikh, and then Tas'hukh, and the sight of the other captain relieved him also, although he wasn't certain why. He lifted his head and raised his voice.

"Gather yourselves!" he shouted. "See to the wounded and dying, and those of you who are hurt but may still walk, start them on the way back to the tribe! Those of you who are in good enough shape, gather the enemy and drag them north and lay them in the desert west of the great road. They are sure to be found there! Do not strip them!" he ordered with a scowl when a few of the lesser soldiers began poking at one of the bodies. "We have enough of our own things to carry back. Lay them out upon their backs in the sand. Do not slash their lappets or wings! The Kana who died here today were honorable Kana!" At this he glanced down at Sut'khut's body, and his lip curled back to bare his teeth. "All but this one," he hissed in disgust, and swung his sword at Sut'khut's wings, slashing them through with long ragged tears. He then jerked his hand at a pair of lieutenants standing not far away. "Take him to the edge of the road and stick his head on his sword! Slash his lappets to ribbons! Mangle his wings however you can, and make certain he is placed where they will find him. If they even think of trying this again--I will slash open EVERY wing they have!"

The lieutenants saluted and grabbed Sut'khut's body by the arms, dragging him away; a third picked up his head and his sword and followed. The rest of the Kana began lifting and carrying away the bodies of the River Tribe, and Mahakhi at last let out his breath shakily. He leaned on his sword and rubbed a hand across his eyes, wincing at the bite of pain in his arm. Nothing sounded so good as home right now.

A Sha snorted, and he lifted his head wearily to see who approached. His eyes lit up at the sight of Nehekhi's face, and he smiled. The captain smiled in return, his lappets and armor stained and dusty.

"Nehekhi-Brother," Mahakhi said. "I knew this would not be an easy fight...and that it would weigh more heavily upon your heart than upon that of most Kana...yet you served me faithfully, as you always have. You have even saved my life this day. There is no way I may ever repay you for all you've done, Nehekhi-Brother."

Nehekhi's smile grew, and Mahakhi could see that his eyes were wet. "I would always save your life as if it were my own, Mahakhi-Brother. And you may never repay me--except by taking me home, to see my poor Moru again. I miss them terribly already!"

Mahakhi let out a bellow of a laugh. "So it is! Great minds think alike, for I am missing my pretty Simit, and Akhahit, and everyone!" He reached out his arm and Nehekhi clasped it. They grinned at each other, their eyes glimmering, and devoured each other with barely a touch.


* * * * *


Frenzied, lusting motion propelled the two upon the floor. Hands stroked frantically. Muscles bunched. Breath rasped out hoarsely, groans rising. Ameni's eyes filled with tears. Climax grew ever nearer with every push.

"Thi'usa-mate--Thi'usa-mate--"

"Ameni-sweet--Ameni-mate--!"

"Oh gods--mate me--mate me--Thi'usa-mate--!"

"Ameni-sweet! Ameni-sweet...!"


* * * * *


What Kana remained on the field of battle at last began the sad task of gathering their dead and fatally wounded, carrying them to the edge of the road and settling them down near one another to be more easily tended to. They stroked fevered foreheads, covered wounds, murmured prayers and promises under their breath; a few paused to grimace and wipe tears from their eyes whenever they recognized a friend or a comrade, though aside from that, the recovery was quiet and efficient. The River Tribe Kana were removed almost immediately, so the soldiers left behind had nothing at which to direct their anger, and channeled it into compassion instead, singing soft death songs every time one of their wounded closed his eyes and passed away. The death toll was not great at all...but they all knew how much the death of one Kana could hurt another.

Captain K'tasai, leaning against his Sha with one hand pressed to the deep wound in his side, took a moment or two to look over the carnage, before limping painfully to sit down upon a dead Sha and rest, seeking to regain his breath. He winced, feeling the blood oozing between his fingers, but knew that it could have been worse. This wound would take some time to heal, but at least he was still alive.

He wiped a hand across his eyes, then grimaced and began rubbing the sting of blood away. His nostrils flared at the unpleasant smell all around him and he lifted his head to blink, trying to focus his vision. Everything blurred. He rubbed harder before blinking again and squinting. Some distance away, Mahakhi and Nehekhi clasped arms in a familiar gesture.

K'tasai let out his breath and let his wings slump in exhaustion. He dug in the saddlepack of the dead Sha and located a waterskin, unstoppering it and pouring it in his face. He shook his head violently and blinked a few more times as his vision finally cleared for good, and sighed. He glanced back at the battlefield, thinking of home and of his little Moru. He had never been sentimental, but he longed to be back just now...

K'tasai's ears flared.
From the corner of his eye, something flickered.

Something moved.

* * * * *


The stench of musk and sweat and seed reeked strong in the Moru quarters. Ameni's groan grew louder, rising into a begging cry.

"I'm coming, Thi'usa...I'm coming...!"

Thi'usa flung his head back, jerking and quaking with ecstasy. "I come, Ameni-sweet--I come for you--!"

* * * * *


K'tasai turned his head, eyes focusing immediately. Not too far away, Lieutenant Djuta reached down to retrieve one of the tribe's dead. K'tasai's eyes fixed on something which moved not far behind him. A dark shape, matted with blood, muzzle running with the crimson fluid, rose unsteadily to its feet. Its shattered wings quivered and twitched. It coughed, and a gout of gore splattered against the ground. A spark of life still shone in its cloudy eyes, and they burned with vengeance.

K'tasai's eyes widened when it lifted its ax high, poised at Djuta's head. His voice came out in a frantic bark.

"Lord Djuta!"

* * * * *


"Ameni--oh Ameni--Ameni--!"

"Oh gods--oh gods--Thi'usa--yes--Thi'usa--"

* * * * *


Djuta's head whirled around. He saw the great bloodied shape lumbering toward him, wheezing brokenly, hefting its weapon. Pale brown eyes, more hateful than he had ever known they could be, fixed on his own, which widened. Rather than run, he simply froze where he was, unable even to draw his sword, unthinking.

K'tasai rose and stumbled forward, grimacing with pain, and sank to his knees, unable to go further. On the far side of the field, Resikh saw what was happening, and came running, though he was too far away to ever reach them in time. Captain Tas'hukh, on the opposite side of the field, sucked in a breath of dread, and clasped his sword, but knew he would never reach them, either. His eyes went blurry and his voice croaked out brokenly.

"Djuta--!"

Mahakhi and Nehekhi glanced Djuta's way as well. The same look of horror came to their faces. Before any could speak the captain was running, sprinting across the battlefield with sword drawn, his voice rising into a desperate yell as he closed the gap between himself and the lieutenant. Djuta watched numbly. Bakh'asu gargled and raised the ax.

* * * * *


Ameni's face contorted, his seed surging up through him as his entire body went tight. "Thi'usa! THI'USA-MATE! I'M COMING! I COME--!"

"Ameni-mate--AMENI-MATE--!"

* * * * *


Nehekhi leapt forward with an incoherent yell, arms outstretched. Djuta's eyes met his, and on seeing them he felt an ache in his heart.

Djuta-Kana--if he dies--then Ameni-mate--

He will never forgive me. They will never forgive me--


His feet struck the ground and he swung his sword back, bounding in front of Djuta. The lieutenant's eyes went wide, and Nehekhi reached out to him.

Ameni-mate--


The ax flew.

* * * * *


"I love you--I LOVE YOU--I LOVE YOU, THI'USA-MATE--!"

* * * * *


Thunk. Djuta's mouth opened and no sound came out. Nehekhi's eyes grew wide. Resikh and Tas'hukh sucked in a breath, teeth bared in horror. Mahakhi's wings rose and he threw back his head with a shattering bellow.

"BROTHERRRRRR!"

* * * * *


The two lovers arched, letting out a shattering cry.

"I LOVE YOU, THI'USA-MATE--!"

"AMENI-MATE! I LOVE YOU--!"


* * * * *


Djuta's eyes filled with tears and he sucked in a ragged breath, letting out a choked sound. Before him, Nehekhi stood, staring at him, his own eyes wet; yet the tears didn't fall. He opened his mouth, and a tiny whisper escaped him.

"I am...sorry..."

The sword slipped from Nehekhi's hands and clattered to the ground. His eyes grew foggy and his head tilted as if in a drowse. As he sank Djuta rose to his feet with a cry of anguish, launching himself at Bakh'asu. The lieutenant's blade sang through the air, gouging open Bakh'asu's neck--yet the Moru was dead upon his feet, the last bit of life having fled him already; he sank into the blow before crumpling uselessly to the ground, Djuta's punishment denied.

Nehekhi simply sank to his knees and pressed his hand to the gaping wound in his chest, blood seeping between his fingers, hot and sticky. His vision blurred.

Ameni-Moru...

His muscles began to relax as exhaustion overtook him, and he started to slump. Mahakhi's bellow rang strident and grieving across the battlefield.

"NEHEKHI-KANAAAAAA!!"

* * * * *


"OH GODS, I LOVE YOU!!"

Ameni bucked and wailed. Thi'usa cried out loudly as well. Tears streamed down their faces as their hands clenched each other's body tight, shaking wildly in ultimate orgasm. Ameni's seed sprayed even as Thi'usa's did, within him, hot and sticky and strong with his passion. He wept at the air, hearing his lover return the cry; after a moment or two they sank to the ground in delicious agony and deepest pleasure, bodies tangling, muscles going lax. They let out their hoarse breath, overwhelmed by their own devotion. Their bodies went limp. Their eyes glazed as they smiled at one another, flowing over inside with joy, with ardor. With love.

* * * * *


Nehekhi sank to the ground, letting out his breath. The cries of Djuta, Mahakhi, K'tasai, the others rang out, before his senses faded and he could hear them no more.

His body went limp and he fell with a soft thud onto his side. Nehekhi's eyes glazed as he stared out over the battlefield, red slowly fading into black.


Continue:

"Part 30: Mourning


Please REVIEW if you rate.
Please DO NOT rate if you won't review.
Thank you!



This item is NOT looking for literary critique. I already understand spelling/grammar, and any style choices I make are my own. Likewise, I am NOT seeking publication, so suggestions on how to make this publishable are not being sought.

This item IS looking for people who are simply interested in reading, especially in long/multipart stories, and who like to comment frequently. My primary intent is to entertain others, so if you read this and find it entertaining, please let me know so and let me know why.

If in the course of enjoying the story you do find something that you feel could use improvement, feel free to bring it up. Just know that that's not my primary purpose in posting this here.

If you have any questions about the story or anything within it, feel free to ask.

I do hope you enjoy! :)

© Copyright 2002 Tehuti, Lord Of The Eight (tehuti_88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/517285-Part-29--Combat