*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/517394-Part-42--Coldhearted
Rated: XGC · Serial · Erotica · #517394
An ominous marker is found in the desert, and Djuta deals with Khetai...
Note: This item has been rewritten and edited. All text in rose is BRAND NEW MATERIAL for this chapter of the story. In addition there are many minor changes to the original text itself. Please enjoy this new, expanded version of Part 42 and be on the lookout for updates to the next parts!


THE KANA CAPTAIN brought his Sha to a halt. It stomped the ground and whistled through its nose; the rest of his men halted as well, craning their necks to see what had brought about the sudden stop. The captain stared off into space before easing himself down from the beast and walking forward through the sand, frowning in puzzlement at the marking ahead. Something tall had been thrust into the ground, and something not so tall lay beside it.

"Lord?" one of the lieutenants called. The captain ignored him--or else didn't hear him--as he knelt down by the marker, looking it over carefully.

It was a sword. It had been outside for some time, as its sheen was gone, replaced by verdigris and a thick coating of harsh sand that had managed to eat away at part of the pommel. Something had made nicks in the blade. Beneath it lay a body--mostly decomposed and picked away by scavengers, its ribcage long scattered. All that remained were some tatters of the armor and clothing. The pectoral necklace had been torn asunder as well, colored bits of paste strewn upon the sand. The skull itself had been detached from the body and was now impaled upon the sword handle, its jaws grinning, eyesockets staring emptily at nothing. Its red lappets were barely distinguishable by now.

The captain lifted one lappet, carefully rubbing at the dust which obscured its markings. They slowly became clearer and he read what they said. River Tribe--General Nahus--House of Tenna--Captain Elite Sut'khut.

The captain's frown grew. This was not a marker. It was a warning.

He lifted his head to at last notice the disruption in the expanse of sand ahead, and his nostrils flared. A soft scuffling sound came from behind him as the lieutenant approached, bending down to peer at the remains. The older Kana didn't have the chance to think of a distraction before the youth lifted his own head and noticed the same thing he had, his brow furrowing. By now, the rest of the men were dismounting, craning their necks and peering ahead to try to make out what lay in the sand. The lieutenant went walking out away from the desert road first, the captain following, and their step slowed only when the identity--and the extent--of what they were really looking at finally sank in. They halted and fell silent, staring at the ground with looks of unease.

The sand, as far as their eyes could see away from the road, was littered with skeletons and half-mangled bodies, each of them little more than a bit of leathery skin and the tattered armor they had fallen in. They had each been laid out in neat rows upon the ground, their eyeless faces staring eternally heavenward but for the one whose skull had been stuck atop his sword. For the longest time none of the Kana could speak, staring at the ghastly sight; the first one to at last do so was the young lieutenant himself, his eyes wide and his face pale.

"There are...hundreds of them."

The captain's face darkened. He glanced over the nearest bodies but the state they were in was such that he couldn't be certain of their identity. The youth stepped forward and started walking haltingly among them, glancing at them as he passed between the rows, and a moment later a few of the other Kana followed suit. Most remained with their Sha, making gestures at the air and whispering incantations against ghosts. The captain didn't believe in ghosts, but the sight of this necropolis alone was almost enough to make him start.

"Lieutenant," he called out to another one of his men; the other lieutenant reluctantly dismounted and approached, saluting. "Take a few of your men and attempt to take a count," he said. "See how many are here. Each of you take a row."

"Yes, Lord."

He stood in his place as several more of the Kana trotted away, seeking the end of the rows to start counting. He stared at the body nearest him, a sergeant from the looks of it, and wondered if he'd known him or not. He turned in a circle to see that a captain lay just behind him and he blinked, and looked at the skeleton a little closer. The lappets were long gone, but the ax draped across his shattered breastbone looked familiar...had he trained with him once...?

A cry drew his attention, and he stood up immediately, ears flaring. Some distance away he saw the young lieutenant staring at the ground, his hand clutching at his pectoral; he sank to his knees beside something, and the captain started jogging toward him, alarmed. By the time he reached him he could see the awful look upon the young Kana's face, his eyes wide and wet and his teeth bared.

"What is it...?" the captain asked, then glanced down to see what the boy was looking at. He took in a breath, and felt his own heart squeeze in his chest.

Two Kana lay here, barely more than skeletons, their armor seeming absurdly oversized on them now. One wore the red lappets of a captain, the other the dusty blue lappets of a lieutenant. They had been laid beside each other, and oddly enough, their hands were touching, the skeletal fingers still clutching at each other. The captain's brow furrowed and he leaned down to squint at the names barely visible upon their lappets.

River Tribe--General Nahus--House of Pedana--Captain Elite Yekh'ef.

River Tribe--General Nahus--House of Yekh'ef--Lieutenant Elite Hesi.


The captain felt his hands grow cold, and nearly lost his composure staring at the two pathetic skeletons, their hands feebly clasping. He wished for a moment that he hadn't even read their names, and then remembered the other one beside him. He peered at the young lieutenant and saw that his eyes were now streaming, his teeth still bared and his breath hitching; his claws were digging into his knee hard enough to draw blood.

The captain stared at him for a moment, and his wings sank. He lowered his eyes, his heart heavy.

"I am sorry."

The young Kana's eyes welled up afresh, and these tears spilled down his face as well. "This..." He tried to speak, his voice cracking and vanishing before he could try again. "This was...a slaughter."

The captain winced slightly and looked at the bodies. He touched the lappets, then dusted some sand away from the wings; they were shriveled from the heat, and bore some tears from scavengers, but aside from that were in better shape than the rest of them. "Their lappets and wings are intact," he murmured, as if to himself. "They were not shredded...every one of them is in a row, but for him..." He glanced back toward the sword jutting from the ground, and fiddled with his own lappet. "They were placed here respectfully. They were not dishonored." He frowned at this, uncertain what it could mean.

One of the lieutenants came jogging back, panting. "Lord--we've counted five hundred so far, and are still counting. We cannot be certain of some as they have been disturbed by scavengers."

"Five hundred." The captain's eyes squeezed shut and he lowered his head, wings hunching. His heart ached just at the thought of what must have happened here.

Five hundred...when there were not even a thousand of us to begin with! Are we all that is left, then...?

The city...is it...?


A stab of anxiety bit through him, and he rose to his feet. He nodded sharply at the older lieutenant, who saluted.

"Lord...?"

"Gather who you can and see to them," the captain ordered. "Cut a lappet from each who has one remaining, and bury the bodies beneath the sand as well as you can. Collect their scattered bones if need be."

The lieutenant frowned. "What of you and the others, Lord...?"

"We will be heading back to the tribe," the captain said almost in a mutter, turning away from him. "A score of you remain behind to do this. We will go on ahead and see if there is anyone left."

The lieutenant's wings sank. "Yes, Lord." He turned and retreated back across the slaughter-field.

The captain stood where he was, his claws digging into his palms, and took several deep breaths to try to calm himself. As the one of highest rank, it wouldn't do for him to lose his composure, especially seeing the looks on everyone else's faces; he suppressed a wince, realizing how many of them must be recognizing friends, fathers, brothers, sons among all the dead. More than once a soft wail rose in the air, and he had to turn away from the sight of grown Kana hanging their heads and breaking into tears as they read the names upon the lappets. An hour ago, all he had wanted to do was return to his tribe and see to his mate. Now, he dreaded what they might even find back there...or what they might not find...

He paused and looked down again. The young lieutenant still knelt here, his wings shaking. He did not cry out loud, as the captain had never once remembered him doing; yet the way he hunched in on himself and shook made it plain what he was feeling. He knelt down beside him again and for a moment watched the tears streaming down his face. He slipped his dagger from his belt and reached out to carefully cut a lappet from first one skull, then the other. He rubbed the red one gently.

"He was my friend," he murmured. He took the youth's hand and held it up, pressing the lappets into it. "They bring you honor."

The young Kana's fingers curled around the scraps of cloth and he clasped them tightly in his fist. The captain took the younger Kana's hand in his own and looked at him sadly.

"I am sorry, Meteri-Kana."

The hard, angry look on the lieutenant's face wavered. The hatred slowly left his eyes, grief replacing it, and he started gasping for breath, shaking even harder. The captain stared at him closely, then grasped hold of his arm; Meteri gasped again, then seemed to dissolve, the older Kana catching him before he could slump over. The lieutenant dug his claws into the captain's shoulder, face pressed to his breast, and sobbed aloud, his wings quaking. The captain held onto him and stared at the two bodies lying with their hands joined together, and thought over what it all might mean.

"Lord...?" He lifted his head, his own eyes wet but not streaming, to see the other lieutenant approach. He gave an awkward salute, ignoring Meteri's weeping as if he were not even there.

"Lord Fe'kheru...your Sha are waiting. We will follow as soon as we can."

Captain Fe'kheru nodded. The lieutenant retreated once more, and he watched for a moment as he and his companions began the tedious and sorrowful process of gathering up the bodies, almost all that remained of the once mighty army of the River Tribe. When Meteri's crying began to abate somewhat, he grasped his arm again, and slowly stood, pulling the youth up to his feet. The younger lieutenant held his hands to his eyes, his teeth clenched tight.

"There is no dishonor in grieving, Meteri-Kana," Fe'kheru murmured to him, and his vision of the youth immediately blurred. "I will grieve with you."

Meteri's wings began shaking again and he lowered his head so his lappets dangled in his face. Fe'kheru turned and led him away toward the Sha, walking slowly, even as his mind raced anxiously over what might await them once they reached home.

"Once we get there," Meteri said under his breath, and Fe'kheru glanced at him; the youth's eyes were open and clear again, and again the hate had replaced the grief; he took pause at the change which had occurred. "If we get back there...then what? What do we do, Lord?"

Fe'kheru stared at him for a moment before his own look grew hard. "We see to our Moru, if they are still alive," he said.
"And then we seek out those who did this."

"And what will we do to them? Seeing what they have done to us?"

Fe'kheru turned away again, reaching his Sha. He grasped hold of its mane to pull himself up, Meteri following suit with his own Sha.

"What we do next is simple. We do not make the same mistake that was made here. Underestimating the enemy." Although he rode slightly ahead of Meteri now, and the lieutenant could not see, his eyes then grew as dark as flint and his nostrils flared.

"We return, and we will avenge Captain Sut'khut."

* * * * *


Dawn was glowing in the sky already, yet Mahakhi had not slept since the alert had been sounded. He paced about his room, scowling at the floor. As with any other morning, he much would have preferred making love to one of his mates; instead, he was wide awake and out of bed, his wings flaring and sandals clacking angrily as he walked. Nesakh'ai was the furthest thing from his mind.

Two other Kana stood near the door now as well. Captain Ahen looked as awake as Mahakhi was, though Captain K'tasai still occasionally stifled a yawn and rubbed at his eye. They watched him pace back and forth in silence.

"Well?" Ahen ventured after a long time of this had passed. "Do you believe him?"

"Believe?" Mahakhi echoed, and snorted. "What is the reason not to? His sergeant told me everything. And he brought me the scroll with Pekhten's seal upon it. You do not get much more convincing than this."

"Seals can easily be forged, Lord," K'tasai said. "This would not be the first such time it has happened."

"As if anyone would go to the trouble? I have only to send a message to Captain Pekhten to see if it is true or not. I have not ever met him, yet I have heard much of him, and apparently Nehekhi-Kana would have trusted him with his life.
He is an honorable Kana."

"You have the means at your disposal, to seek the truth."

"Yes--and it will take me WEEKS!" The big general flapped his wings in annoyance. "Why does that damned tribe have to be so far away! If they had been closer, none of this would have ever happened anyway."

"You mean if they had dwelt closer, Lord Nehekhi would not have been so inclined as to get Pekhten's mate with child?"

"Oh, bugger it. You know exactly what I mean!" Mahakhi sat down heavily so his chair groaned, protesting beneath his weight yet somehow holding. He gave a gusty sigh. The two captains held their places so he waved his hand at them wearily. "Go ahead--tell me what you two think. Should I believe this story? What would you do?"

"The decision is fully yours to make," Ahen said. "Whatever either of us says is of little consequence."

"Speak for yourself," K'tasai replied. "If I were in your position, Lord, I should ask that this Kana be treated as a guest, yet I would then send him on his way. Nehekhi-Kana never mentioned an older son. If he had wished for him to come and settle his estate as his own, he would have made note of it, at least to someone."

"Nehekhi-Kana was a private Kana," Ahen retorted. "There are many things he kept from others. Remember how long it took for others to know of this relationship he had with this human of his? Perhaps he merely felt his son was no one's business but his own."

K'tasai's nostrils flared and he rubbed at his side with a small wince. "Owning up to mating a Kemeti slave as if he is a lover, and owning up to being the father of a decent Kana, are two completely different things. The first, it is easy to see why he would keep it private. But to keep secret the existence of a grown son of considerable skill and bearing makes no sense as a Kana."

Ahen frowned. "Would you be so eager to tell your comrades of having abandoned your son from birth, and never having gone to see him so much as once in your lifetime?"

K'tasai opened his mouth, but Mahakhi waved him silent. "He did not abandon him!" he snapped; both of the captains looked at him curiously, and he actually flushed. He forced himself to take a breath and calm himself before shaking his head. "Enough...that is well enough." He gave an irritated sigh. "It is obvious that I am in fact the only one who may resolve this issue, on my own."

"As I said," Ahen replied. "The matter rests with you entirely. Even if you do feel you owe Nehekhi-Kana for what happened to him, you owe no such thing to his son."

"On the other hand," K'tasai interjected, "he did come all this way, and go to all this trouble, just to do what all Kana sons are expected to do."

Mahakhi made a face. "Would you two make up your damned minds?" He slumped back in his chair and rubbed at his eyes, then lifted his head and stared across the room and out toward the courtyard. The others remained silent.

"A Moru," he muttered. "I still cannot believe that all of this happened, because of some stupid Moru who happened to be in the market just as Djuta-Kana passed through. He is the one who led to all of this." He lifted his head and scowled. "Or do I blame the human--? For being in the market that day, and asking for him. Or do I blame Djuta, for his past with him? Or do I blame Tas'hukh--for having the chance to kill him, and letting him go so long ago? Do I blame the one who slashed Djuta's wing and made him a slave in the first place? Or do I blame the Kana who promoted Tas'hukh to captain, so that he would be leading their forces that day--? Do I blame Lord Set himself for even creating any of us at all? Who is to blame even for all of this mess?" He lowered his head, the other two sensing that they were not meant to reply, and again stared out at the courtyard sullenly.


"This is what bothers me," he murmured, after a moment spent staring. "That I do believe his story...and if so...then what do I do? It is obvious why he has come. Ahai'ikh told me of him. His own tribe is poor. They do not even raid the villages of the humans. He has one mate of his own. One mate! When he is presented with a second, he reacts with surprise!" He scowled and rested his head against his hand, before his look grew troubled. "He has come to claim his father's Moru...this I know. There is no other reason why he would come this far. He has said it so himself. He believes they are a burden to me...and he has insisted on relieving me of them, because they are not mine."

K'tasai stared at him in silence. "You object to this reason?" he finally asked.

Mahakhi's muzzle wrinkled. "I would not--if those Moru had not grown so accustomed to living within my household! Ameni, Thi'usa, Ki'amit, Tai'ihet, Hiakh and Kiakh...fully since we have become the Great Red Tribe they have lived within my household. Upon Nehekhi's death, it was made clear that they would reside with me--Nehekhi even claimed this, upon his deathbed! He wished for me to see to them! You think it would be so easy for them to simply leave with a stranger?"

K'tasai's mouth twitched. "Or," he added, "that it would be so easy for you to simply let them leave?"

The general narrowed his eyes at him. "I do not need your attitude, Captain!"

"I had not meant to give you any, Lord, yet you must admit, we have all become accustomed to them being around."

Mahakhi sighed.

Ahen frowned slightly. "If I may speak freely, Lord, I have never known you to show such a reluctance to act in accordance with Kana custom. I realize that you and Nehekhi-Kana were as close as brothers, but this is all the more reason for you to honor the custom."

"Nehekhi claimed that he wished Mahakhi to take care of his Moru," K'tasai said.

Ahen frowned at him now. "This was before he knew his son would be willing to take on this responsibility--perhaps he feared that the distance from the West Oasis Tribe would be too great for Tas'eta to do so." He turned back to Mahakhi. "Kana custom dictates that Tas'eta-Kana receive his father's Moru and sons as his own." When Mahakhi didn't respond, his frown grew.
"You fear anger or disruption should the newcomer try to claim them as is his right...?"

Mahakhi's brow furrowed and his eyes softened. "His right," he murmured. "This is all too true...if he is truly Nehekhi's son...and Nehekhi has left no other grown male heirs...then the property belongs to him. His Moru, his young sons, everything." His look hardened again. "Unless one should choose to fight him for it...and I do not wish to fight the son of one of my most trusted Kana."

"The son is not the same as the father, Lord," Ahen replied. "You owe him nothing."

"I owe him much. Because of my oversight his father died."

"Because of Lord Nehekhi's bravery, his father died," K'tasai said. "You had not a thing to do with it."

"Sha droppings. I had much to do with it. I could have gone after him, stopped him--could have taken that ax to my breast myself."

"And then, Lord, it is likely that Lord Djuta would be dead now anyway--and you as well. If not Nehekhi, for a third." Ahen paused. "Lord, there is no way for us to tell what may have happened otherwise. It is already done. Now Lord Tas'eta is here and if he wishes for his father's property...you must make a decision."

"Kana custom or no Kana custom," K'tasai added, "the decision remains fully in your own hands. You cannot rely upon your feelings toward Nehekhi, nor upon the custom, to make up your mind. You are the only one who may choose."

"I know...I know." Mahakhi sighed and pushed himself up, walking heavily toward the door. The other two stepped aside to let him pass, and he came to a slow stop just before he could reach out to open it. His head hung for a moment, a pained look on his face; then he lifted his head and flared his nostrils, his eyes resolved, his lappets hanging proudly.


"I will have him shown to his father's Moru, just as I vowed," he stated. "The decision will be his to make."

* * * * *


Ameni clawed at the floor, the tiles slick beneath his back. It squeaked with the heat of his skin rubbing against it. Thi'usa grunted as his hips ground into Ameni's, making the human moan and arch. Their thighs quivered with pleasure. Ameni reached up to seize Thi'usa's thrusting buttocks, earning a startled murmur. Thi'usa opened his eyes and gave the human a curious look.

Ameni's face twisted. "Pl...please..." he gasped. "We...we have...been at this...for over an hour...please..."

Thi'usa blinked. "You grow tired? Already?" He sighed and bent down to nuzzle at Ameni's neck. "Time was when you could go fully two hours if you wished...have you grown lazy--?"

Ameni whimpered. Thi'usa sighed again and rolled his eyes in a mock gesture of annoyance.

"Oh, all right, very well! But this just means you shall have to give me hakh'tua when we are done! I am not nearly satisfied, yet!"

Ameni nodded, gasping. "An--anything! Jus--just end it--!"

Thi'usa shut his eyes again and ground his teeth. He pushed his hips deeply inwards and forced himself to release with a pained grunt. Ameni wailed and bucked, stiffening, then going limp against the floor. Thi'usa let out his breath and sank over him and they both lay still, catching their breath. Thi'usa opened his eyes again when Ameni nuzzled at his neck.

"Oh, no, you don't," he grumbled. "I said hakh'tua. Kissing my collarbone is hardly hakh'tua!"

Ameni touched his face. "I am so tired, Thi'usa-mate...perhaps later? Please?"

A gusty sigh. "What on earth has happened to make you so damned tired, just when I am feeling heated!" Thi'usa nudged Ameni's arm away from him and stuck out his tongue. "Very well, spoilsport. I bet Tai'ihet would be more than willing!" He glanced toward the other side of the room. "Or better yet, that strange Moru they let in earlier...she is quite pretty!"

"You heard what the guard said," Ameni panted. "No one is to touch her. She belongs to whoever came to the gate, remember? It's impolite to go imposing yourself on guests' Moru."

Thi'usa wrinkled his muzzle. "I cannot help it that she fancies me more than the rest of you!" he exclaimed, and flared his wings; the female Moru sitting in the corner blushed and started giggling in response. Something shifted in the other corner and they glanced aside to see Simit flare her wings; the strange female let out a hysterical laugh, and Simit gave Thi'usa a smug look. Thi'usa scowled and backed down.

Ameni laughed softly. "I hate to tell you this but I do not think it is you she fancies," he murmured.

Thi'usa stuck out his tongue again. "At least I've caught her attention! Can you say the same--?"


A sound came from the door. Thi'usa glanced back over his shoulder, Ameni lifting his head from the floor. The other Moru followed suit as the door opened, letting in light. Several shapes entered, and as their eyes adjusted they could make out Lieutenant Nehef and two others, two Kana they didn't recognize. Thi'usa frowned; Ameni nudged at him a little, but he didn't move. The biggest of the three Kana, one with light fur and blue lappets, craned his neck, peering about with wide eyes; he spotted the female and smiled and waved, lifting one wing, and she giggled and waved back. Then his eyes fell on Thi'usa, still crouched with Ameni's legs sticking out between his own, and his smile promptly vanished; he flushed and averted his eyes, looking terribly embarrassed. He turned to whisper something to the third Kana, who shushed him and shook his head.

Nehef strode forward and stopped. "All those who belonged to the household of Lord Nehekhi, please rise and step forward."

Ameni nudged Thi'usa in the breast and he finally rose, brushing down his kilt. Ameni had to scrabble for his and tie it back on, his own skin burning. No matter how many times it happened, he still wasn't used to being seen in the act by strangers. Thi'usa stood and took several steps away, and Ameni followed, trying to smooth himself out and look as if he had merely been sleeping. The others crowded around them as well, staring at the newcomers. Nehef stepped aside and gestured.

"These are they, Lord."

The other lieutenant's eyes widened again. "There are so many!" he murmured.

Nehef nodded. "They were all the property of Captain Nehekhi, Lord. Please feel free to look them over; as they have made their home here for quite a while, I shall tell you anything you need to know."

The Kana came forward, and started walking amongst them. He looked each Moru over as he passed, sometimes pausing to take a longer look. He stopped before Hiakh and Kiakh, who looked him over in return, Hiakh going so far as to lick his lips and smile. The Kana turned to Nehef and cocked his head questioningly. Nehef coughed.

"Yes, Lord. They are twins. This one, here, Hiakh, and this one Kiakh."

The Kana nodded and turned away. He approached Tai'ihet, who met his eyes and stared back. She held her child to her breast, while her young son hid behind her legs. The Kana looked at her for a moment, then spotted the boy. A smile immediately returned to his face and he knelt down to peer at him more closely. The boy smiled back shyly and crept behind Tai'ihet.

The Kana glanced back at Nehef. "The babes? They are hers?"

"Yes, Lord. However, she is close to passing the childbearing age."

"What is her name?"

"Tai'ihet, Lord."

"Tai'ihet." He rolled the name about in his mouth and looked at her again as he stood. "This pup, how many years does he have?" he asked, pointing at the toddler.

Tai'ihet held up two fingers. The Kana's smile went from ear to ear as if she had said the most pleasurable thing possible. "I have a pup this age myself! Exactly this age!" he exclaimed, and waved at the boy before moving on. Ki'amit stood not far away, suckling her own child; the Kana's eyes widened on seeing her. He walked around her, sniffing closely. Ameni heard Thi'usa growl under his breath, and peered at him to see the fur on his hackles rising.

The Kana halted and snuffled at Ki'amit's neck, making her giggle. He sniffed the baby she held, looked at her a bit more. Looked back at Nehef.

"This one's name is Ki'amit, Lord. She is of a prime childbearing age. This pup is her first."

A nod. The Kana smiled at her, and she smiled back; Thi'usa's growl grew dangerously louder. Ameni grasped his hand to try to silence him before he could be overheard. "Make sure you raise her properly! She will be perfectly delightful when she can walk!" he exclaimed to Ki'amit, and then appeared to lose interest in her, moving along to examine the rest of the Moru. Thi'usa's growl died but the look on his face didn't grow any less unpleasant.

"The fathers of the children," the Kana lieutenant said as he went along, pausing every so often. "Which ones are they?"

"This one over here, Lord." Nehef nodded at Thi'usa. He stopped bristling and blinked, caught offguard. The Kana approached; Ameni backed away behind one of the other Moru as he started sniffing at Thi'usa as he'd done with Ki'amit. Thi'usa's fur bristled again but he didn't dare growl this time; instead he stood and endured it, albeit with a slightly panicked look.

The Kana glanced at Nehef. "Many children, he has?"

"A few, Lord."

"He has wings!" The Kana gasped, mouth falling open, and moved behind Thi'usa, taking one wing and stretching it out. Thi'usa bared his teeth at this affront, but still didn't protest aloud. The Kana flexed his wing as if he'd never seen one before, then let it loose. He shot another questioning look at Nehef, whose mouth twitched.

"He was once Kana, Lord. Owned by your father."

Thi'usa and Ameni both drew in a breath; the rest of the Moru's eyes widened. The Kana's eyes widened as well. "My father?" he echoed. "You mean--this is the Thi'usa he wrote of?"

Nehef nodded. "Yes, Lord, this is he."

The Kana looked back at Thi'usa, this time with something resembling awe. His eyes swept him up and down, several times; Thi'usa stared back at him, stunned. After a moment of walking around him the Kana nodded slowly.

"Yes," he murmured, "he is exactly as he described him...amazing!" He stopped in front of Thi'usa and started prattling as if they were old friends. "You see, he had said there was a Kana he obtained in battle--a former comrade of his--wounded in the wing, unfortunately. He said that you were an excellent fighter, and very fine to see in battle, and from the looks of it he was right! I have never seen a Kana who was made Moru!" He turned his head before he could see the gawk of disbelief on Thi'usa's face--and now his gaze fell on Ameni. Ameni had never seen someone's eyes grow so large. Immediately the Kana was practically on top of him, sniffing him over in great excitement.

"This one is a human!" he exclaimed. "Isn't he--?"

"Yes, Lord. His name is Ameni."

"I have never seen one so close!" Ameni stood and endured the Kana's attentions as he felt his arms and poked at his ribs. "He belonged to my father? As well?"

"Yes, Lord."

"Amazing! He has no fur but upon his head--not one hair! Does he never grow cold?" He paced around Ameni and lifted his hand to look at it again. "No claws! How does he scratch himself--?" He tugged lightly on Ameni's ear. "And his ears are so very small! How can he even hear with them--? His face is so strange!" He grasped Ameni's face and squeezed his cheeks so his lips stuck out; Ameni saw Nehef blink and then duck his head, trying to keep from laughing. "His mouth is so small! He has no TUSKS!" The Kana's own mouth fell open and he let go, which was just as well, as Ameni had been on the verge of drooling. He gasped and yelped instead, clapping his hands over his behind; the Kana had stepped behind him and pulled up his kilt in the back. When Ameni glared at him furiously he waved at the other two Kana.

"NO TAIL! He hasn't one BIT of a tail!" He looked Ameni up and down in great curiosity.
"What did my father with a human?" He poked his nose at Ameni's neck and Ameni had to force himself not to shudder; it was cold. "How did he even get hold of him? How do you treat a human? Are they not a great deal of trouble? Wouldn't they die if we kept them like so--?"

Nehef put his arm to his breast. "He rescued him from the desert, Lord, after a sandstorm. He raised him as one of his Moru. From the moment he came to live among the Apsiu, he has been considered one of us and has acted accordingly. We treat him as a Moru, and he does not cause any more trouble than any other Moru would. He is also quite healthy and able to look out for himself."

"Binena!" The young Kana turned to the other Kana, who so far hadn't spoken a word out loud. "This can happen? Humans? Like us? We can live together should we choose--?"

The other Kana tilted his head indulgently. "It has been known to happen, from time to time, Lord. Not often, however. Your father was exceptional. I take it that he cared for this human very much."

Ameni blushed, feeling awkward. The young Kana looked now from him to Thi'usa, and back again. He cupped a hand to his mouth and whispered loudly to the other Kana, as if the others could not hear him.

"These two--Lord Djuta told me of something a little bit ago! I think the word he used was sen'akha?" Ameni saw Thi'usa cringe. "These two? Are they...?"

Nehef hemmed and hawed a bit, rubbing at his ear. "Well--this is not my business to say, Lord--merely that there are many in Moru quarters who are close to one another; whether they are sen'akha or not, I could not say..."

"The females? Are any of them sen'akha?"

The other Kana blinked. Ki'amit started giggling hysterically. The lieutenant glanced at her, flushed, and smiled as if out of guilt. He rubbed his neck and turned away.

"Ah...I apologize for that. I should have realized it was inappropriate to speak of it so brazenly!"

"A forgivable mistake, Lord," the other Kana--Binena--replied.

The first Kana sighed and nodded. He turned and stood back, eyes roaming over the group of standing Moru. "So--these are they? They were all my father's?"

"Yes, Lord," Nehef replied. "General Mahakhi has asked that you decide what you wish to be done with them."

Ameni felt his heart twist in his chest. The young Kana frowned and scratched his ear.

"Must I decide at this moment...?" he asked meekly. "We have only just got here, and the trip was so very long..."

Nehef shook his head. "No, Lord; you have as long as you shall need to decide. He merely wishes you to know that he leaves the decision in your hands."

The Kana let out his breath. "Thank you, Lord Nehef. You have been most helpful."

"You have my welcomes, Lord."

The lieutenant turned to the third Kana and cocked an ear. "Binena? What do you think?"

The other Kana bowed. "I believe Lord Mahakhi was right to leave the decision in your hands, Lord. They are your property."

Ameni darted a glance at Thi'usa, feeling his skin going cold. It was not just him, but the rest of the Moru who looked stunned by this, as well. Ki'amit looked up at Tai'ihet in confusion; the older Moru took her hand and held it. Hiakh and Kiakh shared an uncertain look. Thi'usa scowled and his ears went back. Ameni would have seized his hand again, had he been close enough.

The first Kana merely nodded again, not noticing their looks. "Very well...I can hardly decide anything, at this hour. How long have we planned to stay, Binena?"

"We may stay for the area of two weeks, Lord, before our presence will be greatly missed by our tribe. Lord Pekhten will start to worry by then."

"Very well. I will decide later. I grow tired as it is. I want to return to my quarters with my Iast'et!" He looked the Moru over one last time, then turned away as if losing interest, smiling and waving again at the female in the corner. She sprang to her feet and quickly attached herself to his arm, purring as they passed by Nehef and Binena. Nehef watched him leave, then waved at the remaining Kana.

"Lord, if you should be so inclined, General Mahakhi wished me to tell you that you may spend the eve with one of his Moru if you wish. He noted that you have none of your own with you at the time."

"Oh." Binena looked at the Moru, his eyes briefly meeting Thi'usa's and Ameni's, then turned back to Nehef with a slight smile.

"There is no need. I am tired myself right now. Perhaps at a later time."

Nehef's brow furrowed, but he nodded and bowed. "Very well, Lord; I'll show you back to your quarters, then." They both turned away, and shut the door behind them, leaving the place as it had been before, only considerably more on edge.

Ameni let out his breath as the Moru began to murmur amongst themselves. He moved toward Thi'usa, who still stared at the shut door with his fur on end and his teeth bared. He took the Moru's hand and held it between his own.

"Thi'usa-mate!" he whispered. "You needn't look so tense. He is not going to go stealing your mates! He was only curious about Ki'amit, is all. You must admit she is pretty. I would worry had he not been interested in her! Remember, even Lord Mahakhi examined her closely when she first came, and he has yet to try to take her from you."

"I do not trust him," Thi'usa growled. He turned away, yet kept his eyes upon the door. "I do not like him."

Ameni frowned. "Thi'usa...you heard what they said. He is Nehekhi's son." Even as he said it, he wasn't certain if it was true or not...Nehekhi had never made mention of having a son of that age...yet why else would Nehef say it was so? What purpose would the lieutenant have in lying to him? Unless Mahakhi had told him to do so, and that was not Nehekhi's son, but some other Kana come to take possession of them...?

Does Mahakhi-Kana not want us anymore...?

"I do not care," Thi'usa was replying.
"He is not Nehekhi-Master. I do not have to like him."

Ameni sighed and rubbed at his eyes. "Well, keep in your mind what Nehef-Kana said. We are his property now." His voice faded. "This is why he was so interested in us all. He has come to claim us."

Thi'usa bared his teeth. "I will not allow it! I will not return with him!" he snapped, and stalked away, going to sit beside the wall. Ameni gaped at him, then jogged to catch up. He dropped to his knees before him.

"What did you say--?"

Thi'usa wrinkled his muzzle, his good mood from earlier completely gone. "Just as you heard. I refuse! I will not go with him."

Ameni's brow furrowed. "Thi'usa, this is not our choice. We are his now! If he decides to go, then--"

"Then he will go without me. I will stay with Mahakhi-Master!" The Moru bared his teeth again, and Ameni backed away. "I will not go with him. Even if he is Nehekhi-Master's son! I will not be his Moru!" With this, he turned his head away and shut his eyes tightly, as if in sleep; Ameni crouched, watching him for a while, but when the Moru didn't relent, he sighed and pushed himself away. It was no use quarreling with Thi'usa when he was in a foul mood; he would never win. And by now, he wasn't so certain that he wanted to go with some strange Kana, away from the only home he had known in so long, either.

Yet...if he is truly Nehekhi-Kana's son...

What are we going to do? Leave this place? Where will he take us? How will we live without Mahakhi-Kana...Djuta-Kana...everyone? What will we do...?


He could not answer his own increasingly anxious questions. Instead he sat down not far from their love spot, lying down upon the floor again and staring up at the darkened ceiling with troubled eyes.

* * * * *


Now that the identity of the newest arrivals at the Great Red Tribe was fully known, there was a great buzz among all the Kana who walked the streets later that day. Rumors spread rapidly about the strange Kana and the meaning of their presence there. More than a few passersby halted outside the gates of Mahakhi's household to try to get a peek at what might be going on within, though the guards shooed them away every time, with many grumbles. They refused to answer questions put to them, and so more often than not the other Kana wandered away muttering and resolving to visit the taverns that very night to find out more.

Lieutenant Resikh felt woefully ignorant. He hung his head in embarrassment as he walked the street toward the gate that afternoon. He had been so hung over that he hadn't made it to the gate in time, before it had closed and everyone had gone on their way; and then, rather than stay and face Mahakhi's wrath over such an incident, he had returned to one of the taverns, not to drink but just to sit by himself as long as he could. The taverns had been pretty empty at that time of the day, but he'd been relieved for the privacy. He rubbed at his head often and winced and wished that all the events of the past week had never happened.

He still rubbed his head now as he made his way closer to Mahakhi's house. Never mind the past week. The past night would have been good enough. He thought of Lieutenant Tefkha again and his muzzle wrinkled; what a poor decision that had been. He wondered what had even come over him, and promptly decided never to indulge in too much drink ever again. No wonder Djuta did not care for the stuff.

Djuta...

His step slowed as he remembered who else he had not wanted to face after the trial. He cringed to himself and fiddled with his lappet, uncertain of what to do as he looked up at the great house off to his left. Djuta was bound to be there still, unless he too had gone off to seek solace in a drink. Resikh doubted that. Which meant that as soon as he set foot inside, they would probably run into each other. There was little doubt about that. They would see each other eventually.

He stood in the street for a few moments, biting his lip and agonizing over what he should do, before sighing and dragging his feet toward the gate. He would report his tardiness to Mahakhi, and hope for leniency as he had never committed any such errors before; then he would confront Djuta, if the opportunity would present itself. Perhaps he would end the day with one of them not still being mad at him, at least.

The guards at the entry saluted him but he ignored them, his step heavy. He hoped he would run across Nehef or Hiath'ikh somewhere, but for some reason the other lieutenants were nowhere to be seen; perhaps they had gone off for a short bit of sleep after the previous night. He finally saw a shape approaching ahead and halted as soon as he recognized Mahakhi, and hastily placed his arm to his breast and bowed his head as low as he could without seeming sycophantic. The general almost ignored him until he was just about to pass him, and only then slowed to a stop, giving him a look as he fiddled with his pectoral. The fresh scent of perfume wafted from him and Resikh raised his head to see that he was fully dressed and had even had kohl drawn around his eyes. Resikh took pause.

"Yes?" Mahakhi said after a moment of this, his ear twitching unpleasantly.

Resikh flushed and ducked his head again. "Lord, I--I wish to apologize for my absence at the gate this morning; you see, I--"

"You were not present?" Mahakhi asked, frowning slightly. Resikh peered up at him again and then shook his head.

"No, Lord...I arrived too late to see to our arrival. I apologize profusely, and will accept any punishment you might see fit to--"

"Ehh," Mahakhi said, waving dismissively. He fiddled with his pectoral again. "Damn things...I hate these things. I hate all of this stuff." He grimaced at his gleaming white kilt and glittering armor, and rubbed at one eye with some irritation. "Time was when we could simply wear a kilt and some sandals and be done with it! I do not understand the point of looking all glittery and prissy..."

"Lord...?" Resikh asked, brow furrowing.

Mahakhi glanced at him, made a face, and waved at him again. "See to yourself! You look as if you slept in a tavern!" Resikh winced but the general just went on. "We have guests, Lieutenant, so I'd appreciate you looking your best, at least until they leave. Then, you can slum about as much as you want."

"Guests, Lord--?"

"Yes, Lieutenant, guests. You know! Those three who arrived at the gate, whom you so conveniently missed! They are from another tribe, and are here on important business, so you'd do well to present yourself properly. If I have to wear this junk..." and he made another face and tugged on his pectoral "...then everyone should have to."

"But--about my tardiness, Lord--"

"Ah, let it be, I have more important things to worry about. Your excuse for not arriving in a timely fashion?"

Resikh flushed. "Well--I passed rather too much time in a tavern, Lord, and then--"

The big Kana snorted and started tugging on his bracelets now. "Well--I take it your head is pounding, and your guts are twisting, and you feel like puking every few moments. So there, you are punished. Make certain it never happens again." He gave up on his jewelry and let out a gusty sigh. "I hate these stupid things we must do for appearances! If he were not Nehekhi's..."

Resikh's head jerked up. "Nehekhi's--?" he blurted out, so sharply that the general glanced at him once more before starting on his way again.

"Yes, Nehekhi's. The younger of the two Kana who arrived this morning is Lieutenant Tas'eta, Nehekhi-Kana's eldest son. He has come to see to his Moru." His face clouded and he continued walking up the hall, leaving Resikh behind. "Just when I think all of our damned problems are resolved..."

Resikh stared after him for a long while, brow furrowing in confusion. He turned back about and rubbed at his ear. What had he missed at the gate...?

After several moments spent in bewildered silence he at last sighed and continued walking, albeit more slowly than before. He stared at the floor the entire way.

Nehekhi's...son? But...he has only little pups...and they are all here...how could he have another son, from elsewhere?

And seeing to his Moru...what does this mean? Is he here to take them away with him...?


This thought filled him with unease, and his step slowed even more. He'd seen how close the Moru had grown to the others of the household, how at home they were here. He knew how they had felt after what the robbers had done to them, and so moving in again with the Great Red Tribe had brought them some measure of the comfort of the familiar. The human, especially, had thrived here...and they had seemed so heartbroken after Nehekhi had died. No matter how they might be related, this new Kana was a stranger. How would the Moru take it, having to leave with a stranger...?

He shook his head abruptly. They were not his Moru, thus it was not his issue to think about. He sighed and rubbed at the back of his neck and tried to resume walking. He had other things to ponder over, for example what exactly he intended to say...

He lifted his head and halted, mouth opening and nothing coming out. The Kana who came his way slowed his step and met his eyes, and Resikh stared back at Djuta as he came to a stop several paces ahead. The other lieutenant looked as surprised as he must look, and Resikh drew on this before opening his mouth again to speak.

Before any words could pass through his throat the look in Djuta's eyes changed, hardening, growing dark and cold. Resikh's voice died. He did not have the chance to open his mouth again before the other Kana was walking past him without a single glance or word. Resikh turned to watch him go, and he did not look back, not once, his tail thrashing from side to side. He said nothing, but Resikh knew him well enough to tell that he was not welcome to so much as follow or call out to him. And so he merely watched as Djuta went on his way, and it was only once he was gone that he let out his breath, his wings sinking. A dull ache throbbed in his breast and he wasn't certain what it was, but the feeling that settled over him was fit to match, and he turned and resumed making his way toward his own quarters, not knowing what else to do.

It was still quite early in the evening, but Resikh did not care anymore. He shut his door and slipped off his sandals and armor and lay back on his bed, staring at the canopy, and wondering how he had never noticed until now how large and cold his bed truly felt.


* * * * *


After coupling with Rithukh'het, it had been a rather difficult time for Djuta. He'd intended the act to be merely a prank, to put Khetai in her place; yet after he kissed his mate goodnight and sent her back to the Moru quarters, and after Tas'eta and Iast'et had left with their faces happily flushed, the soft sniffling sounds had only continued coming from Djuta's bed. He went over to see that Khetai had her face pressed to the pillows and was crying into them; he tried not to allow himself to feel any pity for her. With the way she'd acted toward him, she deserved a little embarrassment now and then.

Still, he decided to take a small leave of the place, just to settle his irritated nerves; dressing himself, he'd located a guard to make certain that she didn't attempt to flee again, though he doubted that she would, after what had happened already. He passed a good part of the day simply sitting in the courtyard, away from the pool, staring out across it yet barely even seeing it as he pondered over everything that had led to this point. The longer he thought of it all, the more unreal and dreamlike it seemed.

A slash to my wing, he thought absently. That is all it took for me to get here today...one slash to my wing. A negligent moment, an oversight, an accident, a random set of coincidences...in any case, this is how I ended up in Tas'hukh's household...and within his courtyard, with that mongrel Bakh'asu behind me...this is how I left my tribe, and came to this one, and helped us make enemies of the River Tribe...this is how I met the human, the very one who led me to Bakh'asu again...the dog who led the River Tribe to us...the one who killed Nehekhi, only because he intended to kill me...all because of a slash to my wing so long ago...and this is why I used my dagger, and why the physician saw to me...and how I found out...and ran into that mutt U'heta...and then the trial...and now here...all because of my wing...

If I had known all that would happen because of one small oversight, one misstep, one bad swing, would I have then paid more attention, stepped more carefully, swung more clearly? If I had known that would lead to all of this...?


He couldn't decide, nor could he continue thinking over it. He was surprised to notice that by the time he drew himself out of his thoughts, half the day had passed, and the sun was already on its way to the west. He left the courtyard and wandered about the house, then, growing bored of this, went out into the kitchens to listen to the servants chattering, and then atop the roof to listen to the guards stationed there, complaining of the heat; then he retreated downstairs, making his way back up the hall, determined to set foot into town and find something to keep him preoccupied until he should have to return to his quarters. He'd never had such a reason for wanting to keep away from his own place of rest, but Khetai was more than enough of a reason. He was surprised as soon as he realized that that was exactly what he was doing--avoiding her--then shrugged it off, deciding not to care anymore. He would go out, fetch a drink or two, walk a street or two, and then come back, and only then would he think of her. Perhaps, gods willing, he would be able to get a decent sleep for once, though some part of his mind rather doubted that.

He looked up and had to stop when he saw Resikh staring back at him. They both looked at each other for a moment, and Djuta sensed that the other Kana wished to say something to him, yet he didn't give him the chance. He continued on his way, leaving him behind without so much as glancing back, and Resikh did not call after him or attempt to follow. He had known that he wouldn't. Some even smaller part of his mind wanted Resikh to follow him, but then he shoved that part down and away, and told himself to forget about the other lieutenant completely. After what had happened at the trial, he knew they would have nothing to say to each other.

Still, even believing this didn't stop the ache in his heart as he wandered up the street toward the further end of town. He even rubbed at his still-healing wound, but knew that that wasn't the cause of the pain. It was something a little bit more than skin deep.

When had everything gone so wrong...?

He did not care for beer, and so it took only one drink to keep him preoccupied most of the night. He was grateful that the rest of the soldiers mostly ignored him, though a few did salute him as they passed, and he felt that he must be the topic of at least a few conversations. As soon as he noticed several of them glancing his way he decided to leave, heading back toward Mahakhi's household. Even facing Khetai wouldn't be as bad as staying around to put up with whatever the rest of the Kana had in mind, good or bad.

The guard was still outside his door when he returned, although he was yawning a little bit. He reported hearing no crashing noises coming from within, which Djuta supposed was a good sign, and he waved the guard off before going inside and shutting the door. He looked up and couldn't believe it, but she was still in his bed, sniffling. He frowned and stepped across the room, keeping his eye on her as he took off his pectoral.

"Have you been there all day?" he asked. "Or did you merely wait until I returned, and jumped back in and started all over?"

She didn't respond. Her wings shook a little and her tail twitched, but that was all.

Djuta sighed and shut his pectoral box. "I will have to go into the market tomorrow and replace all my boxes," he said aloud, looking at the mess she had left earlier. She didn't respond to this, so he added, "Any other Kana would probably have wrung your neck by now for acting as you have acted."

Still no response. "You brought this upon yourself, you know," Djuta finally said, his former irritation returning. "You were told that to leave these quarters would be a breach of the deal we made. If you were caught in the company of a male--personal preferences aside--do you think they would have given a second thought to dragging you into the cells again? The only reason I brought you Rithukh'het was so you would have someone to keep you company! She is a good Moru, unlike you! And you repay this kindness by locking her in a chest!" He scowled and shoved the box away. "The things I have done for you, and will be stupid enough to continue doing for you, and all you can do is piss and whine about it all. The world is unfair because you are Kana. I hate to tell you this, but you were never Kana to begin with. You were lucky that you had such a good brother, but you always knew such a day would come. I am sorry it came so awfully, but it has passed, and now you have to resign yourself to this. I'm enjoying this as little as you are. Yet you are the one who insisted that we go along with it. If you decide to get pissy again now, remember that it was all your own choice. I cannot help it that you refuse to keep your senses just because things are unfair."

She didn't even appear to have heard him. Djuta sighed again and stepped toward the bed, feeling suddenly weary. He stood beside it for a long while but she didn't get up, so he flicked his tail in irritation and shuffled his wings. "You are going to cry there all night...?" he asked; when she didn't answer, he shrugged. "So then, do you wish for our nightly nesakh'ai now?"

Khetai's sniffling abruptly stopped.
She lifted her head to stare at him in disbelief, then her muzzle began to wrinkle. His mouth twitched. She looked ugly doing that.

"You--you seriously think that after--after that that I will allow your filthy hands upon me again?" she gasped. She shakily rolled herself over and her fingers curled into fists. "Right now I believe I rather would have preferred to be made Moru and let Mahakhi's men rape me! Anything is less humiliating than being with you!"

Djuta's nostrils flared. "This is not the way one gets to be with child, in case you did not know."

Wide eyes. A second later Djuta hissed as claws raked across his face, tearing his cheek open. A split second after that her other fist cracked into his other cheek and his head flew to the side. He grimaced and let out a shaky breath, holding up his hand to feel the blood; Khetai only hissed in return, sitting back on her haunches with her fingers still crooked. She was naked, her small breasts rising and falling and her legs parted wide to show him everything, yet she didn't seem to care. Her wings flared, making her look bigger than she really was.

"Just you try to touch me, bastard! I will give you MUCH more of that, only a bit south of your belt!"

Djuta took in a breath through his nose, calming the fury that rose up inside him, making him want to launch himself at her and beat her to within an inch of her life. Instead he let his breath out and managed to meet her stare, keeping his own eyes as mild as he could. His face stung; his fingers were wet.

"Any time you should like to return to the Moru quarters, 'mate,' I will gladly return you, and there they shall deal with your lovely wings," he said in a flat voice. "Only say the word."

At this, the uncertain look returned to her face. He could swear he saw fear in her eyes, and knew that her terror of becoming a Moru, of having her wings cut, outweighed anything else, even rape. Still, he was surprised that she was willing to put up with so much. After a moment her face darkened and she lowered her head in defeat, so he could not see her eyes anymore. Her wings sank.

"Go ahead," she whispered. "Get it over with."

His mouth twitched. "As I've told you before, Lady, I will hardly just lie and pleasure myself without at least attempting to pleasure my mate. You make that next to impossible with your hissing and spitting. Not many Kana like to have nesakh'ai with a rabid cat!"

"Go ahead," she only murmured again, laying herself back upon the bed. He blinked and stared at her, not used to seeing her not trying to cover herself up; if anything she looked almost like one of the dead bodies she had had to deal with before the trial. If it were not for the fact that her chest still rose and fell, and her eyes remained open, he would have thought she had simply passed away right before his eyes.

He took a step toward the bed and clenched his fists. "What is this?" he demanded. "I know you will hardly offer yourself that easily! If you intend on clawing out my eyes like you said you would, then I do not care WHAT they do to your wings! I can only put up with so much from one Moru, out of the charity of my heart!"

"Go ahead," she said a third time. The odd flatness of her voice unnerved him, and he actually felt uneasy looking at her like that; he averted his eyes and wrinkled his muzzle, yet she refused to move, so he was forced to shove his unease aside for the moment. He reluctantly removed his kilt and loincloth and joined her, though by now he wasn't in the least bit interested in nesakh'ai. He actually considered just getting up and awarding her the point, but the thought of this irritated him again; was it his fault that she refused to do what was best for herself? Still, it took him a long while to get himself excited enough to enter her, and even as they coupled, he found he did not enjoy it one bit.


He tried everything he could think of to excite her, yet she merely lay limp beneath him, staring vacantly over his shoulder. Her blank look, her unresponsiveness, infuriated him; as if it were his fault that he was not what she wanted so much? He squeezed her breasts, as he knew she liked, yet she ignored him; he caressed her wings, her thighs, even pulled himself out and lowered his head to lick between them. Still she didn't react. He let out an angry growl and bared his teeth at her.

"You could at least make me feel as if I am not raping you, ungrateful wench!"

"Get it over with," she muttered.

At least she had responded. With another frustrated growl, Djuta roughly rolled her over onto her belly and parted her legs. She didn't even bother lifting her tail.

"If you are going to be that way, fine," he snapped, feeling utterly disgusted both with her and with what she was making him do. "You think I am a monster? I'll be one, then. Just to make you satisfied. I hope you're enjoying this. Seeing as I am not."

With that, he positioned himself and thrust inside and began to push. His body was excited, yet his head was full of disappointment and spite. He would have given almost anything to be with Rithukh'het, instead; at least she knew how to treat her mate. She was not as pretty as Khetai, but she was so much more welcoming, her touch warm and her eyes soft, and whenever he was with her, he knew they both enjoyed it...it was nothing like this...coldness.

If he pretended she was Rithukh'het, perhaps he could satisfy himself, just a little...he shut his eyes and grasped her hips, imagining them to be fatter than they really were, ignoring her wings as he grunted softly, releasing sooner than he would have liked to; yet making love to Khetai was like making love to an icy fish. He shuddered and pulled himself out, not noticing her tiny flinch at his orgasm, the way she let out her breath as he pushed himself off of her to roll to the side. She breathed heavily into the pillows but still refused to speak. He sat on the edge of the bed for a moment, glaring at her, before getting to his feet. He stooped to retrieve his kilt and wrapped it haphazardly around his hips.

He heard a small movement, and from the corner of his eye saw Khetai lift her head to look at him, her brow furrowing. "Where are you going...?" she asked, struggling to sit upright.

He snorted at her. "To the cot," he snapped. "Where it is a little less frigid. I find it difficult to sleep in the cold."

Khetai flushed; she finally seemed to notice her unclothed state, and belatedly put her arm across her breasts. "You--you do not have to do that," she stammered. "This is your bed."

"Oh?" Djuta narrowed his eyes. "'Tis quite odd. You see, I used to see my bed as a pleasurable place. Lately it's become quite uncomfortable." She flushed even deeper and he felt a little bit of satisfaction with her embarrassment. "I'll take the cot. You may have the honor of gracing what was once my bed." He turned away.

She sat up hastily with an almost panicked look. "W-wait!" she cried, halting him. She held out one hand imploringly. "You do not have to leave. I--this is your bed. I may curl up in the corner if it does not bother you!"

He stared at her for a moment before he began to realize the truth, and his frustration began to fade. Their first time together, despite her anger, she'd wished for him to hold her after they were done. And now, even after that most unpleasant act, she appeared to want the same. She didn't want to be left alone in his bed. She wanted...company? The corner of his mouth twisted up as he began to understand this, and she slowly shrank back on seeing it.

"You demand nesakh'ai, yet no pleasure," Djuta said quietly. "You demand to be embraced, yet you wish for no love in it. I see now where I went so wrong. Your heart is not fiery as I had thought it was. It is as cold as the bottom of the river." Her face paled and he turned away once more. "Keep the bed. I told you already. Nesakh'ai without pleasure, without love, is your thing and not mine." He walked away. "I will take the cot."

He paced to it without saying another word. When he sat down upon it, he peered up at her from the corner of his eye to see that she still sat in the middle of the bed, her arms crossed over herself and her eyes pained. After a moment or two she lowered herself back into the pillows, curling up but keeping her eyes open, as if afraid of every shadow. She looked very small in the middle of his bed like that...yet he didn't go to comfort her, even when he blew out the last lamp. He left her alone, and settled himself down to sleep. It wasn't a pleasant sleep...yet compared to what it could have been, it wasn't entirely unpleasant, either.

* * * * *


The next day was little better. He awoke with a pain in his neck, and had to endure Khetai's baleful stare the entire time he cleaned himself and dressed, yet the two of them spoke not a word. He left her still in his bed, not expecting her to be there whenever he should return; he told himself he didn't care, either. She deserved to be ignored, for the way she had acted. If she wished to toss away their deal so heedlessly, it would be her burden to bear and not his. As far as he was concerned, if she was not still there when he came back, he was through with her.

Djuta didn't pay much attention to where he was going as he strode down the hall, still straightening his pectoral. He again decided to spend the day away from the household as much as he could. The walls were beginning to feel constricting, especially considering the company. He wandered from tavern to tavern for a while, taking one drink as he had the night before, before stopping outside the barracks and watching the trainees spar with each other for a while; when that grew tedious, he turned back toward the city square and browsed through the market. The trial square had long been removed, the scaffolding torn down to make better use as something else; he stood in the center and stared around himself, hardly able to believe that not so long ago he had stood trial here before almost everyone. Now, there was nothing remaining but the stalls of the numerous merchants and tradesmen, crying out to every passerby about how wonderful their wares were. A few Moru traders had brought out their goods, but he wasn't much interested; first with Rithukh'het's apparent inability to conceive, then the fiasco with Bakh'asu, and then his troubles with Khetai, he had grown rather weary of dealing with slaves. As he looked them over in passing he thought of how much he missed actually being with the Kana. Granted, he hadn't been imprisoned long, and had been treated relatively well compared to Khetai and U'heta; yet for some reason he felt he'd been turning away from the warrior class lately.

This realization puzzled him until he paused to think it over. It is only true, his thoughts murmured in his head. I do not ever frequent the taverns, do not ever hang about with the lieutenants when they joke together; all I do is remain in Mahakhi's household, and even Nehef and Ahai'ikh and Hiath'ikh, I barely spend time in their company anymore. They used to ask me all the time to go out with them; now they rarely even bother. I am hardly even a Kana, hiding inside those walls all the time and barely setting foot outside. Perhaps this is why I froze. Perhaps this is why Nehekhi was killed. Because I have been turning away from all that...?

But that cannot be the reason why; I've always trained as best as I could! I cannot have grown so soft...

But I have not been training myself lately. I used to train every chance I had. Every off moment I had, I would take up my sword, and Resikh...


The sudden thought of the other lieutenant made his heart ache again, so much so that he winced and halted, rubbing his breast with his fingers. He remembered the look he'd seen in the other Kana's eyes the day before, when he had turned away from him without a word; and as soon as he remembered that, he recalled that the last time they had spoken had been at the trial. And he had been screaming at him, then...

He stood staring off into space, his heart throbbing and the noise and hubbub of the crowd around him fading from his ears and eyes. How long had it even been since they had last been together, now...?


He blinked abruptly, then his eyes steeled and he brushed the feeling off as best as he could. There was a good reason why they had not spoken. He wouldn't change that now.

With a short sigh he turned about and started on his way back to Mahakhi's household. The jostling crowd was beginning to annoy him, and after what he had felt like doing to Khetai the previous night, he did not like the thought of sticking around and likely ending up imprisoned yet again.

He glanced up on a whim as he walked and came to a sharp halt. He had to rack his brain for a moment just to figure out what had made him stop so suddenly when he realized that he was staring at another Kana standing not too far ahead, also perusing the available Moru; Djuta didn't recognize him, and for some reason that bothered him. He wore a sergeant's lappets with unfamiliar markings, his fur a dark silvery gray. His eyes were a paler gray and he was frowning slightly as he looked the Moru over, seeming preoccupied. But there was something else to his eyes that made Djuta keep staring at him.

The Kana who came from the south, he thought. Hiath'ikh said there were two. Is this the other...?

The strange Kana paused in his browsing and lifted his head; as if sensing Djuta staring at him, he turned and their eyes met. Djuta just blinked. The stranger's mouth twitched a little, as if in amusement; he turned back when the Moru trader spoke, and their stare was broken.

"You are interested, Lord...?"

"No, thank you," the Kana replied. His voice was slightly gravelly, yet not unpleasant. "Perhaps another day."

The Moru trader shrugged and waved, losing all interest in him. "As you wish..."

The Kana turned away from the Moru trader and came toward Djuta, crossing his arm to his breast. Djuta echoed the gesture without thinking. The sergeant stopped before him and looked him over, tilting his head slightly to the side.

"You are from the household of Lord Mahakhi, are you not?" he asked. "Lord Djuta, your name is?"

Another blink. Djuta frowned. "How did..."

"I was told there was an incident lately that warranted a rather interesting trial. And you were both one of the defendants, and one of the defenders."

Djuta flushed. The Kana smiled.

"Do not worry, I will not ask for specifics. I recognize you only by your wing; the one who told me the story described it. I doubt there are many Kana with sliced wings wandering hereabouts."

"Oh." Djuta tried to recover himself and shook his head. "Apologies, then. It hasn't been the best week."

"This I assumed." He saluted again, though somehow he managed to make the gesture look not quite so stiff and formal; again Djuta echoed it without a second thought. "I am Binena. I came with Lord Tas'eta and his Moru."

"Oh!" Djuta exclaimed this time, and immediately felt foolish. He rubbed the back of his neck when the Kana smiled anew. "Apologies again...I was told Lord Tas'eta came accompanied, but I did not know by whom. I awoke rather late to see who had arrived. I did meet with him myself yesterday, but the...meeting...was not under the best circumstances."

Binena continued looking at him but didn't ask him what he meant, and for some reason that relieved him. "I had actually come here in the hopes of finding a Moru for myself," the sergeant said after a moment of silence, and glanced back toward the trader. "I have my own back at home, yet that is quite far away. Still, I have never been the best at shopping for Moru."

"Tas'eta-Kana told me you had picked him out that female of his--Iast'et, he called her. The two of them seem to appreciate each other very much."

Binena's ear flicked. "So you have met them both, then? I suppose I was merely lucky in choosing her." He chuckled to himself. "But I am dreadful at choosing mates for myself. None here seem quite right as it is."

"These traders are not the best," Djuta said, earning a dirty look from the trader still at his tent. "You would likely have to wait until the great auction, which is not due for quite some time now."

"You yourself have obtained decent Moru this way?"

Djuta opened his mouth, then shut it. "Yes and no," he finally said, and flushed. Why did he feel so awkward...? Fortunately the other Kana just smiled, yet didn't ask for the details. He straightened his lappets.

"I suppose I will simply have to wait for another time, then." He looked up at the sky; the sun was starting to grow low, and Djuta blinked when he realized how late it actually was.
"This has been a slow day anyway," Binena continued. "I would not even be here if I had anything else to do. You were headed back to the household?"

"Yes," the lieutenant said, again without thinking. He bit the inside of his mouth and wondered why he was acting so strangely. The sergeant merely nodded and turned away from the tent.

"I will accompany you, then, if you do not mind," he said. "Perhaps we might find something else to do."

"Of course," Djuta said. The other Kana smiled slightly, then walked away through the market, and Djuta stared after him for a moment before following, his brow furrowing.

Did he just...? Is he...?

He shook his head abruptly, hoping to clear it lest his intuitions be wrong, as they unfortunately had been before...but he wasn't too slow to follow after the other Kana, his heartbeat quickening in his breast.


Continue:

"Part 43: Forgiveness


Please REVIEW if you rate.
Please DO NOT rate if you won't review.
Thank you!



This item is NOT looking for literary critique. I already understand spelling/grammar, and any style choices I make are my own. Likewise, I am NOT seeking publication, so suggestions on how to make this publishable are not being sought.

This item IS looking for people who are simply interested in reading, especially in long/multipart stories, and who like to comment frequently. My primary intent is to entertain others, so if you read this and find it entertaining, please let me know so and let me know why.

If in the course of enjoying the story you do find something that you feel could use improvement, feel free to bring it up. Just know that that's not my primary purpose in posting this here.

If you have any questions about the story or anything within it, feel free to ask.

I do hope you enjoy! :)

© Copyright 2002 Tehuti, Lord Of The Eight (tehuti_88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/517394-Part-42--Coldhearted