*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/519665-Part-53--Duel
Rated: XGC · Serial · Fantasy · #519665
The great duel between General Mahakhi and Captain Fe'kheru commences...
Note: This item has been rewritten and edited. All text in rose is BRAND NEW MATERIAL for this chapter of the story. In addition there are many minor changes to the original text itself. Please enjoy this new, expanded version of Part 53 and be on the lookout for updates to the next parts!


LIEUTENANT RESIKH STOOD outside Lieutenant Djuta's rooms, knocking until his knuckles grew sore. He paused and frowned, glanced at the way that the light hit the floor in the hallway, then resumed his knocking. It did little good; he began to fear that his friend might be dead.

He was in a horrible mood last night, when I last left him...I made him promise to behave himself, but since when has he obeyed me...?

Anxious now, he tried opening the door, only to find it blocked by something. This alarmed him even more--the last time the door had been blocked, it had been Djuta himself blocking it as he lay upon the floor with a dagger in his breast! He placed his shoulder against it and pushed as hard as he could and it finally gave way with a creaking sound. He started into the room but paused almost immediately, eyes growing wide.

The room was a disaster. Boxes, clothing, jewelry, everything lay in a shambles upon the floor. It seemed like nothing had been left untouched; every item within the room had been systematically destroyed, as if a great wind had rushed through. Except that in the middle of it lay the peaceful island of the bed, with Djuta and Rithukh'het still sleeping soundly, surrounded by the debris as if nothing were amiss.

Resikh could only stare at them for a moment before shaking himself out of his daze and picking his way carefully toward the bed. Despite his caution he managed to catch a splinter and quickly cut off a yelp of pain. He pulled it free from his toe and made it to the bed, grasping Djuta's shoulder and shaking him.

Djuta mumbled in his sleep. Resikh leaned down and shook him harder.

"Djuta! Wake up. You are going to kill yourself if you don't wake up, or I'll do it first. What is wrong with you today!"

"Why should I?" the other Kana murmured, his voice muffled by the pillows. "Go away and let us sleep. She needs as much rest as she can get now."

Resikh's muzzle wrinkled. "It is nearly the eighteenth hour of the day, idiot, and you have yet to crawl yourself out of bed! I do not care how busy you were last night--there is no way she could have kept you so busy as to sleep the entire day through!"

Djuta finally pushed himself up, rubbing groggily at his eyes; they were red, as if he'd been drinking, though Resikh knew he hadn't. "Eighteenth hour?" he muttered. "You are fooling me? Surely?"

Resikh let out a great sigh. "Does it sound as if I am fooling? Hurry up! If you have ever been late for anything in your life, this is not the day to repeat it!"

"What is so important anyway?" Even as he asked it, Djuta was busy swinging his legs out of bed, standing up and stretching his wings. He wore only his kilt, and the room still smelled of his and Rithukh'het's musk; Resikh made a sour face.

"Either the nesakh'ai addles your brain and makes you forget, or else no one bothered to tell you," he said. "Today Lord Mahakhi and Fe'kheru meet each other in the square. If you wish to find out whether our general will even be here to lead us in the morning--I SUGGEST you get yourself ready!"

"Today?" Djuta snapped fully awake and blinked with surprise. "The fight is today?"

"Yes! Now hurry it up!" Resikh moved to the other side of the bed to shake Rithukh'het, then lifted his head to peer around the room with a frown. "And what in the gods' names happened in here last night? Or do I not even want to know?"

"I was a little angry." Djuta waved at Rithukh'het, who murmured and rolled over with a sigh. "Let her sleep. She will go nowhere."

"Do you not normally keep Khetai with you?" Resikh asked. "At least for a little while--?" He suddenly remembered what had transpired yesterday, and cut himself off with a grimace. "Sorry," he forced out, and his ears went pink. "I guess...I am just used to her being here..."

Djuta's face darkened and the other lieutenant grew uneasy. "I do not wish to speak of it," Djuta said, and brushed past him. He dug about in the wreckage until he found some suitable clothing and put it on. Resikh shook off his apprehension and turned to the door.

"Very well...just splash on a little perfume, and make certain you're ready within the next five minutes. You are lucky I came for you early. Gods! The eighteenth hour...!" So saying, he went back out the door to await his tardy friend.

It was almost exactly five minutes later when Djuta finally emerged, straightening his pectoral and scowling; Resikh turned and the two of them started walking up the hall together. "When I told you to pass the night with Rithukh'het, I didn't quite mean in that manner," Resikh murmured as they walked. "What did you two do, fling each other about the room...?"

"I needed to vent myself a little, and you had already forced me to promise you not to hurt that mutt who started all this," Djuta muttered. "Gods know why I bothered, though." He lifted his head, rubbing at his swollen eyes. "You said you would go and listen...?"

"He is being fined," Resikh said, and Djuta's scowl started to return. "One thousand five hundred gold rings to your house, and five hundred to mine. This is for what he did to Khetai-Moru."

"Two thousand gold rings." Djuta's nostrils flared. "So this is the going price of a pup." He looked as if he wanted to spit on the floor.

"He will be feeling the sting of it for ages to come, believe me," Resikh said. "You couldn't expect much for such a crime. Khetai is only a Moru."

Djuta flashed him the most furious look he'd seen since last night, and he flinched back. "She is not only a Moru! She played a better Kana than most of us bother to do! She saved my life, and I bet if SHE had been the one tending to Nehekhi-Kana, HE would have lived as well! She even put up with that shitball Rik'hia and this is what she gets for it! This is hardly ONLY a Moru!"

"Djuta," Resikh said in a quiet voice, and the other lieutenant let out his breath in a whoosh. "I know already," Resikh continued, and Djuta scowled at the floor. "I care much for all she's done as well. Yet according to law she is still just a slave. Mahakhi-Kana gave Rik'hia-rui'sa the harshest punishment he possibly could."

"Two thousand golds is not nearly harsh enough," Djuta growled.

Resikh tossed his lappets. "Then how is this? He also was removed from the grand tribunal for good, and Mahakhi-Kana has denied him the possibility of ever reaching the rank of elite." Djuta raised his head to frown at him. "It was Ahen-Kana's idea," Resikh added, and Djuta's brow furrowed. "You see, Brother? I know it is not nearly what you would have given him but they both did all that they could. Even Mahakhi feels Khetai was treated unfairly. And you should have heard the physician last night. Even he is disgusted with that rui'sa. You know well how Rik'hia chafes at being merely a first class. And he has always tossed his weight around on the tribunal. Now he is merely a captain first class with no hopes of promotion and nothing to do with himself but try to think of how he will raise that two thousand." He grasped Djuta's arm. "So you see? The dog will be stinging for quite some time."

"I would rather he be stinging from the lash," Djuta retorted, then gave him a look. "How is it that your house managed to wrangle some money out of this...?"

"That is a story best told another day." Resikh flushed and rubbed at his neck. "Brother, I...I rather did break part of my promise to you. I told you I would check on Khetai-Moru again before retiring to bed, only..." He flushed. "Well..."

Djuta stared at him for a moment, then narrowed his eyes. "You yourself have only just awakened--?" he queried; Resikh flinched and pushed his arm away.

"I awoke fully an hour ago! Much before you! And I did it on my own, to boot!" He made a face. "I cannot help it that we have been pulling double watches ever since this stupid River Tribe arrived! I would have been perfectly awake, if you had been in my bed."

"Where is she being kept now--?" Djuta started glancing around them as they neared the end of the hall. "I was not even told--"

Resikh slowed and grasped his arm again, forcing him to stop. "The physician offered to let her stay in his quarters--at least until she is..." He trailed off at the look on Djuta's face. "She refused this though. I think she does not like the thought of keeping to Kana quarters anymore. I was told she was placed in the Moru quarters with the rest."

"The Moru quarters." Djuta grimaced. "She must hate it there! Why did she not just stay with the physician--?" He turned rather than continue straight, and Resikh had to jog to catch up as he headed for the slaves' quarters at a brisk pace. "She would always tell me of how she hated that place...even her brother kept her out of the Moru quarters...why would she insist on staying there now--?"

"Djuta," Resikh said; then, when that didn't result in any reaction, "Brother," and he reached out to grab his arm. Djuta slowed down. "Stop and think," Resikh said. "She isn't Kana anymore. Perhaps she is trying to get herself used to this fact. When you returned from Tas'hukh-Kana's, didn't you feel the slightest bit odd at being free again?"

Djuta stopped and his wings slumped. He stared off into space for a moment or two before peering at the other lieutenant.

"She really asked to be placed there...?" he asked softly. "She was not made to stay there...?"

Resikh's brow furrowed. "Made...?" He shook his head. "Of course not, Brother. Mahakhi would not do that." He tugged on Djuta's arm. "Come, we have just enough time to go see her before we must leave. They're in the square already, and I heard they are getting ready to let the rest of the River Tribe in--stupid as that might sound!"

"I do not know if I can face her," Djuta murmured as Resikh started pulling him along.

"Of course you can. She does not blame you for anything, Brother. She knows you did the best you could."

Djuta gave no response to this, so Resikh fell silent. Only their sandals clacked against the tiles as they walked, reaching the Moru quarters and slowing to a stop. Djuta stood fiddling with his pectoral while Resikh opened the door and peered inside. Several of the Moru looked up at him; he glanced around, squinting and trying to locate Khetai, though he couldn't be sure where she was, in this dimness.

"Khetai-Moru...?" he asked; a few Moru pointed toward the far side of the room and he nodded at them. "Thank you." He gestured at Djuta. "She's over in the corner, I think...come along, we haven't all day to be here."

Djuta reluctantly stepped in. He received the same attention as Resikh had, though nobody addressed them; Resikh even spotted the human, Ameni, seated beside a strange female; he looked at them as they walked by. Thi'usa sat nearby, tending to his older mate; Resikh frowned at the sight of her black eye, and started to slow his step, but the female merely pointed in the same direction as before.

"Bastard did much worse to her," she said, and her muzzle wrinkled.

Resikh could tell that Djuta was bristling even without looking at him. He grasped the other Kana's wrist and started walking again, biting hard on his lip.

He slowed again when he saw the vague shape huddled against the wall, almost invisible in the dimness; he had to squint to make sure it was Khetai, and it was only her wings that convinced him, as he had seen Simit with the others and knew it wasn't her. Plus Simit was so sure of her station that she would never huddle in on herself or hunch her wings in such a way. Khetai started to lift her head, but then her eyes focused on Djuta--following two steps behind Resikh--and widened, then she ducked her head to hide her face against her knees.

"I--I do not wish him to see me," she stammered, and her wings trembled.

The two Kana halted, and Resikh's brow furrowed in confusion. He peered back at Djuta, and hated the misery that he saw on his face; Resikh opened his mouth to speak but the other lieutenant lowered his head and turned away.

"I will be out in the hallway," he murmured, pulling his arm free and walking slowly to the door. Resikh watched him go, then turned back to Khetai. She still hid her face.

"He is gone," he said quietly; he heard her sniffle, and she lifted her head just slightly. "He has already seen you," he added. "Why do you not want him to see you now...?"

"I failed," Khetai said in a small voice, and he frowned. She lifted a shaky hand to wipe at her eyes. "I promised I would bear him a pup...I could not even do this right. I failed him."

Resikh knelt down beside her. "You did not fail anyone," he said softly, somewhat in disbelief. "Rik'hia-Moru is the only one who failed! You and Djuta-Kana did everything you could. He is not angry with or ashamed of you. He feels that he failed you."

She was shaking her head already and sniffling. "I should not have spoken up," she said, voice breaking. "I never learned my place. He warned me...so many times. I never listened to him. He just meant me to be safe, but I didn't want to be a Moru. I should have listened to him. I spoke up and this is why I am being punished...for going against Kana ways...females are not meant to be Kana." Her shoulders started shaking and she lowered her head again. "Set is punishing me for forgetting my place," she wept.

Resikh's mouth fell open. "Set is punishing no one!" he retorted, touching her shoulder. "He would have better things to do even if he does exist! Now stop this. He came because he wanted to see how you are doing. He worries about you. No one is going to punish you for anything again. You did all you were asked."

"I did not learn my place," she echoed herself, still crying and shaking, and he had to give up, as the eighteenth hour was drawing on and the first trumpet blare summoning everyone to the market square was now sounding. He let out a frustrated sigh and stood, biting his lip, the rest of the Moru peering around themselves in puzzlement. He hoped that she would lift her head and spit out some kind of insult, anything, just to prove that she was the same Khetai he had heard so much about. But this Khetai seemed like a completely different person.

"Khetai-Moru..." he said.

She wiped at her nose. "My name is Khetait," she managed to force out. "I was never Khetai."

Resikh bit the inside of his mouth. "I doubt you would grow used to such a name by now," he said. "Even the tribunal recognizes your chosen name." He shuffled his wings. "I have to go--but Djuta can come back for you, once this is over--"

"Please do not bring him back," she said softly, face hidden. "I do not wish him to see me."

Resikh stared at her for a moment more, wishing that he could think of anything to say, yet coming up blank. He sighed at last and turned away from her, heading back for the door. Djuta still waited outside; as Resikh emerged, he realized that he had no idea what to even say about what had just transpired, but Djuta started walking before he could even think of anything.

"Do not worry," he said, his voice flat. "I already understand."

Resikh stared after him before following, hanging his own head as he kept pace beside him. The day was already looking gloomier and gloomier, and the two of them had only just arisen.

As if to prove this point, the trumpet blare sounded again, and they picked up their pace, jogging for the entrance to the great household.

* * * * *


Captain Fe'kheru stood in his quarters, straightening his pectoral. He wasn't even certain why he had decided to wear it, except that he had brought it all this way with him, so there was little else he could use it for. He checked that his clothing and armor were on properly, and, seeing as he still had a little time left before he had to go, he even picked up a mirror and applied kohl to his eyes, carefully tracing the black lines until they were perfect. He stared at his reflection for a long while, almost losing track of where he was and what he was doing.

Appearances. That is all this is, anymore.

He sighed and set the mirror down. He went to dig in one of his chests and located what he was looking for. He made a face, but removed his skullcap anyway, placing the new, fresh one atop his head. He brushed its pristine red lappets down over his shoulders and looked at himself in the mirror again. He wrinkled his muzzle at how ostentatious he now looked...yet sighed once more and put the mirror away. He examined his sword and sheathed it as he scowled to himself.

I look like an old fool. An old fool about to go get his head cut off. Why did I have to be the one left in command? If only Khanef-Kana had never received that injury, he would have done a much better job in my place...even 'Teri-Kana is more suited to this... Unable to help himself, he lifted up the mirror and peered into it with a frown. "If I am the face of the mighty River Tribe...then we need a new face. Because mine will hardly do..."

A soft knock came at the door and he set the mirror down with a clank. "Come," he called, knowing before they entered who it would be. And his suspicions were proven right, when Lieutenant Meteri stepped in, peering at him almost meekly. Fe'kheru looked back at him.

Meteri chewed his lip. "I...wished to see if you were ready, Lord," he murmured. "They have already set up the seating in the square..."

"Am I late yet?"

The young Kana shook his head. "No, She'hekha-Kana said they would sound an alert when they are ready. He is at the gate seeing to the admission of the rest of the tribes."

Fe'kheru tilted his head in surprise. "Mahakhi-Kana is allowing them in--?"

Meteri nodded. "Apparently, he believes the armies deserve the right to..." He trailed off and looked pensive.

"See their leader be defeated?" When Meteri winced Fe'kheru's mouth twitched. "Do not let it get to you so, 'Teri-Kana. This is what enemies do, after all, when sparring."

"This is more than simple sparring, Lord." Meteri fiddled with his lappet and then started chewing on his claw; Fe'kheru sighed to himself but pretended to ignore it. It had been a bad habit the youth had picked up quite early, and despite his maturity he still hadn't grown out of it. "I fully believe in you, Lord," he said. "But if it happens--and you cannot come home--"

Fe'kheru shut the chest in front of him. "I leave everything to you then, 'Teri-Kana; this is what fathers do with their sons."

He heard an odd sound, and frowned, turning to look at the other Kana. He blinked when he saw that Meteri's eyes had started to water, and he was chewing on his lip as well as his claw now. Fe'kheru's ears flared. He hadn't heard Meteri cry since his father and brother had been found in the desert.

"'Teri-Kana...?" he asked, furrowing his brow.

Meteri responded by ducking his head and starting to dig almost frantically in one of the small pouches on his belt. He fumbled to get it open and pulled something out, striding toward Fe'kheru and holding it out to him with a shaking hand. Fe'kheru held out his own hand and Meteri placed something in his palm. When he pulled his hand back he saw a small carved hawk on a string.

"Father carved it for Hesi when he was a pup," Meteri said, voice cracking. "He said this was because this is what Hesi's name means, One Who Is Like A Hawk. When I was little, Hesi gave it to me." The tears started trickling from his eyes though Fe'kheru could tell that he was fighting to keep his voice level. "He said I--I deserved it more, because I was like a hawk, and he was merely a hyena, laughing and running around, whereas I always flew--and stayed focused--and..."

His voice started to crack again, and his words trailed off. Fe'kheru couldn't bear the look in his eyes as he started shaking, and stepped toward him; Meteri clasped him tightly when the older Kana embraced him, and pressed his head to his shoulder, starting to cry aloud.

"'Teri-Kana," Fe'kheru murmured. "There are times I wish you had been every bit as silly and foolish as your brother...you grew up much too fast. And now you can only keep on growing up. I wish you had given yourself the chance to be a pup, because you must be strong now. I wish that all these years you had simply let yourself laugh and cry."

Meteri continued letting out small muffled sounds against his shoulder for a moment or two, and Fe'kheru stood and let him, even though he was getting his new armor damp. He pressed his muzzle to the side of the youth's head and wished that they had never even come to this place. By now, all thoughts of retribution rang hollow and meaningless; and what if Meteri's fears came true? He hated the thought of him being left without a father not only once, but twice...

"'Teri-Kana," he whispered in the lieutenant's ear, "you must promise me something, no matter what the outcome of all this."

"Anything, Lord," Meteri wept.

Fe'kheru stroked his head. "Promise me you will stop being afraid to be imperfect. Your father was imperfect, and so was your brother, and so am I. So are you. I am proud that you always did your very best. But I wish you had let yourself fail, sometimes." He lifted his head and felt the younger Kana start to pull away, sniffling. "You would only be in good company," the captain added, reaching out to touch his face. "All of us must fail sometimes, and there is nothing wrong with that. Promise me that once you are back home, you will let up on yourself? You will fall apart completely someday, if you do not let yourself fall apart a little sometime soon."

Meteri rubbed at his eyes. "I will try, Lord," he murmured.

Fe'kheru smiled. "This is an imperfect start, is it not?" he said, and saw Meteri's ears go pink. A long blaring note suddenly arose in the air, and they both lifted their heads. Panic flickered in Meteri's eyes, but Fe'kheru took the little carving and looped it about his neck. "There," he said, and Meteri looked up at him. "Now I have not only you, but Yekh'ef and Hesi with me as well. I will not lose now, surely?"

Meteri's eyes finally brightened and he managed a wavery smile of his own. "Of course not," he agreed.

Fe'kheru's own smile grew lighter and he checked his sword once more before gesturing at the door. "Let us go, then. I trust She'hekha-Kana will take care of the others, so we will head on straight to the market square, and get this whole affair over with, and head on home. And once we return I will thoroughly beat you at sparring for a change."

"You have never beaten me yet!" Meteri protested, but Fe'kheru could tell that his spirits had lightened somewhat, and the two of them turned to make their way to the duel.

* * * * *


Lieutenant She'hekha strode up the street, lappets swinging and head held high. He paid no attention whatsoever to the other Kana of the Great Red Tribe as he passed them by, although they gave him numerous odd looks. Although he detested it, it was the only way to avoid having to deal with any pesky guards; he wore a carved seal around his neck, marked with the symbol of the house of Mahakhi, and this gave him free reign to walk about the tribe and conduct what business he had to. Right now that business was going to the gate, and demanding--asking--admittance for the Kana of the Yellow Sands and River Tribes, who had been waiting outside ever since their arrival.

As he walked, more and more of the passing Kana glanced at him, then just slightly behind him, brows furrowing, but none of them bothered him. She'hekha ignored their looks. As the gate came within sight he began to slow his step, and held up his hand.

"We are almost there, pretty, so you might want to slow yourself down before you bowl someone over."

He heard a snorting noise, and glanced back. Ze'thet wrinkled her muzzle at him as if he had just broken wind. He led her behind him, again in her harness and with her wrists tethered together; she had nearly stabbed him with his own dagger just that morning, and he knew that if he left her in his quarters, no matter how well tied, she would not be there when he came back--unless she would be hiding behind the door, waiting to bash his head in. And so take her with him he had, and it was in fact she who drew the majority of the odd looks cast his way. He could tell that the decision hadn't appealed to her very much, not that he cared. He gestured at her, and tugged on the rope connected to her harness; she growled and bared her teeth but stumbled forward when he started walking again. The guards at the gate were turning their way already.

She'hekha held up the seal to the first one who attempted to halt him. "I have the right by order of the house of Mahakhi to grant admittance to the Kana waiting outside," he stated, at which the guards scoffed and huffed, but the appearance of a scroll which Mahakhi himself had penned convinced them, and they grudgingly turned back to the gate, taking hold of the ropes attached to the doors. The guards atop the wall yelled and the doors started ponderously creaking open as She'hekha and Ze'thet stood and waited.

She'hekha glanced over his shoulder at the Moru. "I suppose you are dreadfully out of sorts, not being able to call me a ball-licker or a cocksucker or a cum-drinking whore, aren't you?" he inquired; she bared her teeth and growled again, an unpleasant noise which made his mouth twitch in amusement. "When next we are on our own, and away from this damned tribe, I will finally introduce you to that cock that you insist is so small. Then you may judge for yourself."

Ze'thet's growl grew harsher. The few guards within earshot gave him quite possibly the oddest looks that he had ever gotten, and he had gotten plenty in his time. He ignored them, smirking at the Moru and turning back to the gate as it came open. Already he could see the army of Kana awaiting outside; apparently they had been resting, as some of them started standing up and craning their necks to see inside, curious looks on their faces. She'hekha waved at the guards pulling the doors open and made his way out, Ze'thet following.

One of the lieutenants nearest saluted him and clasped his arm when he emerged. "I was starting to think you had all moved in and settled down, and next we knew, we would have to be fighting YOU three off!" he exclaimed, then glanced at Ze'thet and frowned. "Hey, you have a Moru now--? What else did I miss, do you have a pup stashed under her dress...?"

He made as if to poke at her, but she snarled and lunged. He jumped back very quickly and She'hekha's smirk grew. Lieutenant Fa'rukha gaped at the Moru, then shot She'hekha a dark look.

"Ah, I see...one of that sort." He snorted and took a step back. "One problem with you, Brother, you are predictable."

She'hekha gestured at the rest of the Kana and those who had not been standing already started getting up, yawning and stretching. "I take it that the ground was not too cold and bothersome," he said, and Fa'rukha rolled his eyes.

"No, actually; it was quite a refreshing change of pace!" He rubbed at his back. "In fact I will be feeling it for weeks to come! What are you doing out here, Brother? I thought they had you confined to the house, not that you are any stranger to this..."

"I was sent to let you all in."

"So our punishment for being naughty little boys is now over?" Fa'rukha made a face. "It is about time. So what did you do to convince them to let us in--?"

She'hekha shook his head. "I did nothing, actually, but behave myself. The general has granted us an audience to be witness to the duel."

"Duel...?" Fa'rukha and the rest of the Kana looked clueless.

She'hekha stared at him for a moment, then a frown started to settle over his face. "I take it Fe'kheru-Kana did not see fit to fill you in on this change of details," he said, at which the others shook their heads. He nearly scowled but made himself not do so. "It appears our shot at vengeance is not to come this time around," he explained. "Apparently Fe'kheru-Kana has decided that the best resolution to the River Tribe's problems is to agree to a one-on-one duel with their general. This is all."

Everybody started looking confused. "But--what about our revenge, Lord--?" somebody asked, and somebody else parroted him, and within moments the entire army was speaking loudly and quickly, ears and wings flaring. She'hekha made a face and had to wave to catch their attention; Fa'rukha whistled loud enough to hurt any normal Kana's ears, and they finally began to settle, though the looks on their faces weren't any more pleasant.

"I wish to say that I fully agree with your anger," She'hekha called out. "For us to lend the enemy our army's support, and travel with them for days on end, and grow to know them as brothers, and to then be denied our own opportunity for revenge by this very tribe, is both infuriating and insulting beyond measure. Yet when we allied with the River Tribe, we agreed to travel under their standard, and to serve Fe'kheru-Kana as our captain. As much as I despise it, I am forced to obey his commands, and thus are all of you."

"So what will we do?" Fa'rukha asked, frowning.

She'hekha lifted one shoulder. "Anyone's guess is as good as mine. From the looks of things we'd best simply bide our time until a better opportunity arises. If we decide to attack now, no matter what our advantage, Fe'kheru-Kana is likely to sever his ties to us, and then we will have two angry enemies to deal with. Whereas if we wait, we may get the chance in the future to stage an assault of our own, which may actually succeed. It simply looks as if we will have to do so without the assistance of the River Tribe."

There were some grumbles and mutterings as the Kana started coming forward. "Leave it to them to bail out on us at the last minute," Fa'rukha groused as he and She'hekha started back toward the gate. "I knew something about this request for assistance was too good to be true..."

She'hekha flared his nostrils. "I did not hold out much hope in the first place; I know how they work. From the look of it Fe'kheru will not be around long enough to witness any other meeting we shall have with this tribe, so it is little enough loss now. At least we will be treated to a pretty little show before we are forced to leave emptyhanded."

The guards started amassing at the gate as they approached. "Apologies, Lord," one said, holding up his hands, "but weapons shall not be allowed within. This is by strict command of General Mahakhi himself."

She'hekha had to suppress a scowl. "I have already stayed within the tribe and slept within his very household with my sword at my side! You will only now make me lose it--?"

The guard saluted. "You may keep any such weapons as have already passed through this gate, Lord, but other than that, no weapons shall be allowed within. This applies to all Kana and all weapons equally, whether they be swords, daggers, spears, or any other such item."

She'hekha turned and shrugged at Fa'rukha. Fa'rukha gawked, then gave the guards the ugliest look that he could muster. He tossed his sword at the ground in disgust as he passed through the gate; She'hekha suppressed a smirk this time, and followed, pulling on Ze'thet's leash. One of the guards whispered, "Perhaps we should confiscate that pretty weapon--" at which She'hekha heard a pained yelp, and turned his head to see the guard doubling over, hands to his groin. Ze'thet continued walking behind She'hekha as before.

"Behave," the lieutenant said, barely even managing to sound interested; the Moru flared her nostrils, but did nothing else to antagonize anybody. His good ear flared when he heard the commotion arising far ahead, and everyone craned their necks to get a better look. Great scaffolding rose on two sides of the market square, flimsy seats constructed rising up in rows to better see the action below. The rest of the Kana started murmuring, intrigued.

"Oh well." Fa'rukha swept a hand at his scabbard. "Hopefully this show will make up for how emasculated I feel right about now."

"Hopefully," She'hekha said, though he frowned a little, and they picked up their pace to better get good seats.


* * * * *


Captain Tas'hukh paced the halls with his hands folded behind his back and a scowl upon his face. He wore his best armor, and though it was just for show, his dark expression certainly matched his warrior look. For about an hour he had tried to talk Mahakhi out of this foolishness with Lord Fe'kheru, only for the general to glower at him and order him gone if he had no words of support. He had even made a point of stating that Tas'hukh had no say in the matter, seeing as he was not even of the Great Red Tribe. Tas'hukh knew a request to leave when he heard one, and so rather than back down from his opinion, he had left. His ears flared as he walked now, and he ground his teeth together; perhaps seeking shelter among the Great Red Tribe had not been as good an idea as he'd thought, back when he'd decided to stay, and send I'anen's body back home. He was still treated as an outsider, despite his assistance in the fight against the River Tribe, and it felt like Mahakhi mentioned this every chance that he got. Living under this roof, he was starting to feel more like one of the River Tribe himself, rather than like a guest.

He reminded himself then of his one lasting obligation in this tribe--Private Ri'hus--and forced his step to slow, and let out his breath in a sigh. No matter how tempting it might be to return home, he still had to see to the youth's training. And the private had been doing somewhat better, though still not well enough to be considered for the rank of sergeant. Tas'hukh bit his lip as he wondered whether his decision to train him had been a good idea, itself.

His thoughts then shifted back to his purpose for walking down the hall in his best armor, and his scowl returned.
No good could come of this proposed duel. The only way that they could win would be to destroy the River and Yellow Sands Tribes completely. He detested the self-righteous smirk that that lieutenant She'hekha always wore, while secretly congratulating whatever hapless Moru had given him that mangled ear. He only hoped that the swine hadn't beaten her too soundly in return.

He passed the war room, spotted Mahakhi within speaking with a few of his captains, and made the mistake of slowing his step. Mahakhi turned to see him and his eyes grew dark; Tas'hukh turned and went on his way. His teeth hurt from how hard he was grinding them now. He took a breath and let it out as soon as he exited the household and made his way out into the street, and lifted his head to look up at the sky, the sounds of passing Kana ringing in his ears. The sun was still high, but it was making its way steadily west, and long shadows were starting to spread across the street. Even from this far away he could spot the area that had been cleared in the middle of the market to prepare for the duel, and it was toward here that most of the other Kana were heading. Tas'hukh sighed and brushed at a lappet. Even with as foolish as he found this entire idea, there was still a part of him that wished that he still had it in him to be so eager to fight an enemy one-on-one.

A cheerful whistling, much too cheerful considering the circumstances, broke through his moody ponderings and he lowered his head. He blinked at the sight of the Kana who was coming toward him. He looked familiar, as if he'd seen him about a few times, but he couldn't remember where, for some reason. He was lithe and lightly muscled, his blue lappets swinging gaily as he walked, and he too was wearing what looked to be his best armor, with bright gold earrings in his ears and bands on his arms and legs, and blue and gold makeup around his eyes. He saw Tas'hukh staring at him and smiled and placed his arm to his breast, bobbing his head. Tas'hukh nodded in a daze. The lieutenant slowed his step as he reached him and the captain could have sworn that his smile lit up the entire street.

"Greetings, Lord!" he exclaimed cheerily. "You're headed to the duel? I should hope so, I can't see how anyone would want to miss it."

"I was," Tas'hukh said slowly, blinking. The Kana who smiled at him was such a lovely creature, that he actually wondered if God Set himself had perhaps sent him down from Celestial Kemet to greet the mortals. "Were you going there, as well...?"

"Of course! I was merely on my way to Mahakhi-Kana's house to see when he might be dragging his tail out to get there himself, so that we are not kept waiting all the damned night! But I take it he will make it there in his own sweet time. He has always been big on impressive entrances." He turned and fell into step beside Tas'hukh. "Do you mind if I accompany you? Perhaps I'll get a better view!"

Tas'hukh's eyes widened, the comment was so frank and abrupt. For the briefest second he wondered if there was a hidden meaning to it, before shaking his head and offering a quavery smile back.

"No, not at all. Please. I was just on my way there now." He gestured, and the lieutenant bobbed his head again and started walking faster. Tas'hukh hesitated a moment before hurrying to catch up, even though his knee hurt somewhat. "You would tell me your name--?" he asked, realizing that he would never remember it on his own, at this rate.

The lieutenant turned to look at him, and the expression on his face was very odd. As soon as he seemed to notice Tas'hukh's sincerity his face screwed up and he started laughing.

"You do not even remember me? After all that talking? I knew you should have taken a drink, perhaps I would have made a better impression! It's Tefkha, remember? Ri'hus-Kana's trainer--?"

Tas'hukh's hackles bristled as he suddenly remembered the lieutenant, and he immediately felt like running his head into a wall. Tefkha started laughing again and the captain could barely suppress a scowl, his ears going red. He couldn't believe that he hadn't even recognized him--they must have spent a half hour or more together in the tavern alone!--was his memory truly going that bad? Then again, when Tefkha lowered his head to wipe at his eyes, he realized that he did look somewhat different, in his shiny armor and jewelry and makeup; when last he had seen him he had been in plain armor, with only a pectoral and armlets, and all dusty from training. Even Tefkha's fur was gleaming now, and he carried a faint sweet scent, as if he'd just bathed. Tas'hukh could have sworn that he was wearing new lappets as well. Apparently Tas'hukh's idea of showing up in his best clothing was not an original one.

"Yes, I remember you!" he snapped, irritated with the lieutenant and with himself. "I am just not used to seeing you actually attempting to look presentable! And you are difficult to recognize without a cup of beer in your hand, either!"

Tefkha burst into laughter again, much to his annoyance. "Well aren't we in a fine mood today! I was actually about to say to you the same thing! Is that new armor--?" He flicked his finger at Tas'hukh's chest and the captain's face went red, his muzzle wrinkling. "Relax, Captain--I meant no harm by it! I am just surprised that I did not make as favorable an impression as I had hoped. Truly, after so much time in the tavern, you'd think I would have been important enough to squeeze into your memory, but I suppose I failed." He shrugged. "I will just have to try harder next time."

Tas'hukh blinked when he remembered exactly what he'd seen Tefkha up to later on that same night, and he felt his ears grow warm. He gasped and nearly jerked back when the lieutenant grabbed his arm and started pulling on it, an eager look on his face. "Say! Here is an opportunity itself, right here," he said. "How about we catch this fight together. Come now, we can hardly lose. I know all the lieutenants guarding the place, so surely I can find us a decent spot to watch from."

Tas'hukh frowned. "And what do I give you, in return--?"

Tefkha grinned from ear to ear, earrings jangling. "That will just have to remain to be seen! Come along, Lord!" He turned and started striding so quickly that Tas'hukh gasped and nearly stumbled forward before catching his balance and following, wincing as his knee protested. "I do so hope there is a good spot left to view the action!" Tefkha exclaimed, glancing back at him with a smile, before turning to face ahead again.


For some reason this comment made the color rise in Tas'hukh's cheeks. He followed Tefkha as the lieutenant walked cheerfully on his way, and his eyes focused on the way that Tefkha's tail swung from side to side as he went.

* * * * *


Again the rickety scaffolding arose in the square, as it had at the triple trial. The stands were crowded with shouting and clamoring Kana of all ranks and professions; those of Mahakhi's tribe had been seated on one side, while those of Fe'kheru's and Nehara's had been seated on the other. It was only right to give the enemy as clear a view of what was to come as the Great Red Tribe themselves had, the leaders had decided, and already numerous insults were being tossed back and forth across the square. When Tas'hukh and Tefkha arrived there was hardly even a place to stand, and the lieutenant stood on tiptoes, craning his neck and shielding his eyes to scan the crowd.

"Bother!" he groused. "This is what I get for being late. Can you see a space anywhere, Lord?"

Tas'hukh frowned. "Not anyplace near, I'm afraid...I suppose I should not have dawdled so long."

Tefkha spotted someone in the crowd and waved. "Nehef! Has it started yet? Are we too late?"

Tas'hukh could barely hear the other Kana shout back, "They have not even emerged into the square. You are without seats? Stay here but a few moments and I'll oust some poor oafs from the front row for you!"

Tefkha grinned and waved in return. "Thanks muchly, Brother!" He nudged Tas'hukh in the ribs with his elbow. "I trained with him for a time under Lord Mahakhi. Sometimes it serves me well!" He cocked his head in a strangely innocent manner that Tas'hukh found alluring. "I suppose if we pass behind the back of the stands we shall reach him sooner. I must confess I hate just standing around doing nothing. Shall we?"

Tas'hukh nodded. They pushed their way through the crowd back toward the scaffolding.

Here, the swaying wooden backs of the bleachers faced the storefronts which had been blocked off for the time being, their fronts boarded up and their insides dark. Kana and their slaves came and went, barely any space left for them to walk two abreast through the narrow alley. Tas'hukh's nose wrinkled with distaste at the sight of a few of the soldiers relieving themselves against the buildings, though he couldn't blame them; in such a crowd, it was unlikely that one could leave to find a proper toilet and return to find their seat still free. The two of them came to a group of quarreling sergeants who showed no inclination to move, no matter what the rank of the passing Kana; Tas'hukh was ready to shout at them when Tefkha grabbed his hand and pulled him to the side. He gasped as they were plunged into semi-darkness, the air instantly growing cooler all around him. He had to blink a few times before he realized that they were beneath the scaffolding, the creaking and shifting of the wood far above them indicating the weight of the many seated upon it. He blinked a few more times and Tefkha laughed.

"Thought maybe this would make a good shortcut, though no less filthy than out there, I'm afraid." He waved at Tas'hukh to follow and they wound their way carefully around the wooden poles supporting the seats. A few times Tas'hukh's feet splashed in puddles and he had to stop numerous times to shake off his sandals, not wanting to know what he'd just stepped in, although the scent of it--as well as the trickling sounds occasionally coming from overhead--made it pretty clear what most of it was. Every so often another Kana with the same thought in mind as themselves passed by, and Tefkha nodded at them all. How many people did he know, anyway?

"I often think it would just be easier to skip all the seating, and let everybody stand atop everybody's houses," Tefkha said as they walked. "That way, we would not have to kill so many poor innocent trees! Wood is scarce enough as it is here, right, Lord--?"

"I would not know," Tas'hukh replied, hurriedly ducking aside with a grimace as something trickled down just beside him, a relieved groan coming from overhead. "All I know is that this is not what I had in mind when I decided to show up today!"

Tefkha laughed. "Be thankful that was piss, Lord, and not something more unpleasant!" He ducked his own head, and Tas'hukh gawked when something else spattered against the ground, this time accompanied by panting and gasping sounds. "Or should I say, more pleasant--?"

Tas'hukh's muzzle wrinkled and he suddenly more than anything just wanted to get out of there.
"I think this was around where Lord Nehef promised to find us a seat--" he said, stopping and turning, only to feel Tefkha grab his hands again. He glanced at him just in time to feel a soft muzzle pressing to his lips; when he opened his mouth in surprise a warm tongue greeted him, sweet and just lightly tasting of beer. He couldn't help it; his sheath instantly swelled, growing hot as his loincloth grew uncomfortably tight.

The lieutenant broke away from his mouth with a breathless laugh. Tas'hukh could only gasp and gape at him. Tefkha smirked and touched his face.

"Oh, do not act so surprised," he chided. "As if I could not see that look you gave my backside as we came here? I know about you, Lord Tas'hukh; I know where it was that Private Ri'hus went off to after he left, and I know what exactly you meant by 'training'! I also know that you have a fondness for pretty Kana such as him. I'm only surprised you haven't added him to your little collection yet."

Tas'hukh flushed deep red and his ears burned. "How dare you address me thus!" he gasped in disbelief. "To think I actually accompanied you down here, you little pissant--? You think I'd waste my time with a barracks lieutenant--?"

Tefkha merely laughed again and pressed himself close, kissing his neck. The captain gasped anew and shivered at the feeling when the younger Kana's fingers slipped beneath his kilt and inside his loincloth, running over his testicles. He felt them growing hotter, and couldn't quite control the hitch in his breath at the lieutenant's cool touch. Ever since he had mentioned Ri'hus, all sorts of heated thoughts, left only half realized, had entered his head, roaring to full life, and now he certainly wished that he were out of there.

"Come on now, Lord," Tefkha whispered to him, smirking. "What wrong is a barracks lieutenant when you want to make a pretty private your next prize--? I know him better than you do--maybe I could give you some advice." He nuzzled against Tas'hukh's ear and the older Kana sucked in a shaky breath. "For starters, you may think you will have to win him over, but I do not think you will have to--if he's under your command, then he's practically in your bed already. I think maybe you picked the right Kana for once."

Tas'hukh couldn't keep himself from panting; his loincloth barely fit anymore, and his tail whipped from side to side. "You...do not have the right to address me thus," he gasped, still trying frantically to regather his senses.

"You hardly have the time to be offended," Tefkha replied in a murmur. "It won't be long before Nehef finds us those seats--and I think I do have the right, having seen the way you were ogling me from that rooftop a while back. Yes, I saw that," he said in response to Tas'hukh's gawk of surprise. His mouth twitched. "You really think you are not so transparent?
What's this...?" His fingers deftly untied the loincloth, and slid up Tas'hukh's quivering member as it finally arose, and Tas'hukh's breath came faster in his throat; as soon as the lieutenant pressed his thumb against the captain's tip, he started shaking hard, unable to control it anymore. "Hard, already? I should think that you'd be more interested in dealing with that than in arguing over courtesies."

Tas'hukh's breath came in a fast pant. The lieutenant did have a point. Although surrounded by the other Kana, they had a slight bit of privacy here under the scaffolding, and now that he was already excited, he doubted that he would even be able to sit through the entire fight without losing it. He took the briefest moment to reconsider; then, seizing Tefkha's hand hard enough to bruise, he led him further under the wooden slats to one of the main poles supporting the structure, at which he leaned back against it and crushed the younger Kana to himself. Their mouths met, devouring, breathless murmurs escaping them; Tefkha continued stroking him beneath his kilt, and Tas'hukh growled low in his throat as he reached for Tefkha's loincloth. Overhead somebody laughed as they told a dirty joke.

"I have heard you much prefer your nesakh'ai in the courtyard pool," Tefkha whispered, grinning slyly, "yet I'm afraid there is none such here."

"Where do you hear these things?" Tas'hukh panted, busily undoing the lieutenant's loincloth. He tossed it aside and it landed in a dirty puddle with a dull splash. Tefkha gave a soft laugh again, hands sliding over Tas'hukh's backside.

"I have my sources...and so there is another way you should prefer to accomplish this task at the moment...?" His fingers slipped into the cleft between Tas'hukh's buttocks, and the captain suddenly stiffened with a startled snort. Tefkha looked up at him inquiringly, one eyebrow cocked, before smiling.

"Do not tell me you are untouched, Lord...?"

"No," Tas'hukh said in a tight voice. "I am not...it is just..."

"Ah." Tefkha kissed the side of his muzzle and nuzzled against him softly. "It's been a while, then. You are used to taking your mates, right--? After all, this is what the Kana do...right?"

Tas'hukh nodded shortly. His breath came hard and fast.

Tefkha trailed a hand over his chest and his sly smile returned. His stroking over Tas'hukh's stiff member was driving Tas'hukh mad. "Do you wish for a change then, Lord...?"

He barely even had to ask. Ever since Tefkha's fingers had touched just the right spot, Tas'hukh had given up all thoughts of mounting the young Kana, instead lusting over the thought of the lieutenant mounting him. It had been years...his first mate, the lieutenant he had trained with, had taken him sometimes, and he had allowed Djuta to take him, a few times, when the Apsiu had been his slave...but they had been the only ones, and that had not been very often at all. Now that he remembered the feeling, although only in faded memory, he wanted to feel it again more than ever. His tail flicked wildly from side to side at the thought and his fur prickled.

Tefkha drew away from him and Tas'hukh hiked up his own kilt, his loincloth already abandoned. He turned himself to the pole and grasped it in his arms, eyes narrowing to slits, trying to control his breath. A cool hand slid under his armor and over the small of his back, causing him to tremble in anticipation; he spread his legs and raised his tail high. "Come now--hurry," he urged under his breath, and could even sense Tefkha's smile as the Kana caressed and parted his buttocks.

"Give me but a moment, Lord...and then you will not be in nearly so pissy a mood as you were before!"

Tas'hukh ignored the comment. There was a slight shifting, then a wet feeling against his anus. He shut his eyes. Djuta had been good at this, once; even when his slave had first taken him thus, it had not hurt as he had expected it to, his tongue's ministrations having been thorough. He wondered if Ri'hus were good at it. His tail swished as Tefkha nuzzled between his legs, moistening him. The captain wished that he could have given him hakh'tua, but it was a bit late now. Things had to be done, and quickly.

"I am ready," he said, signaling Tefkha to cease. He heard the other Kana stand and he shut his eyes again, biting the inside of his mouth. Tefkha took hold of his hips, placing his arms over Tas'hukh's thighs and pressing himself close so that the warmth of their bodies mingled, and their scents drove Tas'hukh wild inside. He sucked in the smell of their musk, ignoring the other, more unpleasant scents around them; barely a moment later with a soft reassuring grunt Tefkha had pushed up inside him, far and deep, and Tas'hukh's back slowly arched and he let his head fall back, mouth opening silently. They froze in this moment of sublime pleasure, but just for a moment, before relaxing and sinking again; then, as if realizing how truly limited their time was, Tas'hukh gripped the pole and locked his knees, and they began to thrust and rock hurriedly.

Tas'hukh rested his head against the pole, panting heavily. The pressure inside him felt so good, after so long; the brief tang of pain only heightened his excitement. His claws dug into the wood and he suppressed a moan. His mate grunted softly with each push, stroking his hand up and down Tas'hukh's length and cupping his sac, squeezing gently; Tas'hukh brushed off decorum and did groan now, the low sound rising unheard among the multitudes above. Only now, when he opened his eyes just a sliver, did he notice that Tefkha's idea had not been an original one, either; far off near the corner of the scaffolding a Kana was making his Moru kneel, rutting into her from behind, and through the open slats above he could make out one lieutenant in the midst of a rowdy, noisy group, still seated with a sergeant's face pressed to his crotch, clasping the other Kana's head and bunching and loosening his buttocks in a tight rocking motion which was noticed only by those watching from below. The sergeant slid his hand beneath the other Kana's kilt to squeeze one buttock, suckling hungrily and nuzzling at the curly area between his companion's legs. The others around them were too busy shouting and making bets to notice.

Tefkha saw the object of Tas'hukh's glazed stare and laughed under his breath. He kissed the captain's nape before lightly sinking his teeth into it. "I'm willing to bet that's just one of many doing that...everyone is so distracted, we could probably be up there doing this same thing and none would notice!"

"We must hurry," Tas'hukh panted throatily. "Nehef will miss us..."

"You worry about this so much?" Tefkha smiled around his mouthful. "Take ease. I spoke with him before we met up here. I let him know that if I was late he should wait for me; he knows me better than you think!"

Tas'hukh ground his teeth. The lieutenant was far too canny for his own good. He grunted from the effort and let loose a tiny spurt, only for his lover to murmur and nuzzle at his neck, stroking his thighs.

"Ready, already? It's so soon...you're sure you want to end it now?"

"This is good but I am full," Tas'hukh grunted. "I wish you to finish so I may take you briefly, before we leave." For it was true--no matter how good this now felt, he still wished to place himself inside something; at least, something that wasn't a vase or a pot.

Another soft laugh. "Ah! The captain is feeling more and more like a Kana every minute, and now Tefkha has to be the Moru! All right. Do your best to hold it in, as I've been told I can get a little frivolous." With this he squeezed Tas'hukh's penis hard enough to sting, causing him to bark sharply; the two rocking slowly above them halted at the sound, the sergeant lifting his head and hastily wiping at his mouth while the other smoothed himself down. Only the Kana and his slave at the far end remained unfazed by the noise. Tefkha pressed himself hard against Tas'hukh's backside and groaned softly, emptying himself inside the captain; Tas'hukh shuddered slightly at the feeling, yet still he managed to keep himself hard. They hurried to switch places, the lieutenant clasping onto the pole and lifting his tail, Tas'hukh spitting on his hands and moistening himself before assuming Tefkha's place as the active party; in no time at all he was doing the same thing as Tefkha had, only with their positions reversed. They both grunted now, more heavily than before, shifting rapidly with need.

Tas'hukh ran his hands up to Tefkha's scrotum and was surprised to find him shaved smooth but for his shorter velvety fur; this only aroused him more, as it enhanced his appearance of youth. He growled and sank his fingers into the soft flesh of Tefkha's hips, relishing the heated whine that the lieutenant let out; with a growing moan he tipped his head back and thrust savagely, grinding and bucking his hips up deep and hard. Tefkha's cry joined his own, growing louder and louder as the captain built rapidly toward climax. A trickling sound came and a sudden hot stream splashed over Tas'hukh's head, dampening his fur--he tasted someone's steaming urine as it ran into his mouth, but he was so far gone in lust that it didn't even bother him. He tossed back his head with a yell, golden droplets showering from his fur; his hips shuddered wildly as he sprayed deep within. Tefkha tightened and shivered, then let out his breath with a low moan and sank against the pole, Tas'hukh letting out a deep sigh as he went soft. He drew himself out again, his shaft slipping back into his sheath, and they leaned against each other for a brief moment, struggling to catch their breath.

After another moment or so Tefkha started laughing.

Tas'hukh opened his eyes, blinking away the moisture. Tefkha nudged himself away from the pole, but he could only laugh even harder, wrapping his arms about his middle and bending over. The captain started to scowl.

"You find something amusing at my expense, Lieutenant--?"

Despite the tone of his voice, the other Kana didn't let up with his laughter. He pointed at Tas'hukh's head. "As I said--there is no pool about here anywhere," he gasped, "yet you did receive a shower, which is close enough!" And his laugh promptly turned into a cackle.

Tas'hukh gaped at him in disbelief for a moment. Then his muzzle wrinkled and he bared his teeth. "Every day during training and in combat, my men and I underwent much more adverse conditions!" he snapped. "And so I suggest you do not laugh. If a little bit of piddle upsets you so, then your generation has gone soft!"

Tefkha finally slowed his laughing, still gasping for breath and holding his aching sides. He wiped tears away from his eyes. "Oh...very well, Lord," he gasped. "I must admit, being drenched in piss isn't exactly my normal idea of training, but you have a point...I apologize then." He managed to stand upright now, still wiping at his eyes and hiccupping. "But you truly may consider buying a wet cloth, or a small jar of perfume, before we head out to the seats. Otherwise you'll carry a most distinctive scent about with you, and you may be more likely called Nunun than Hata'tai!"

Tas'hukh flushed; Pisser wasn't exactly a name he had ever aspired to have placed upon his lappets. "Where then is a seller of damp cloths?" he said shortly, and Tefkha turned, still rubbing at his eyes, and waved.

"Come, this way. I spotted one on the corner for just such occasions as this, obviously." He stifled another chuckle as they went, and Tas'hukh had to bite down on his tongue and tell himself that if this upstart had to make fun of him, then at least he'd gotten the pleasure of poking him in the behind first.

He was a bit relieved now for the shady nonchalance of those who walked behind the bleachers, for none of them paid them the slightest bit of attention, despite Tas'hukh's damp state. Tefkha quickly located the vendor and purchased a perfumed cloth with his own rings; it galled Tas'hukh a little that the lieutenant had paid for the item, yet he hardly had time to complain. He wiped at his face and ears, then at his arms and shoulders for good measure, as Tefkha counted the posts supporting the stands.

"...six...seven. Nehef-Brother should be right about through there, but we will have to go around again to get through." He made a face. "Ugh, I hate how they build these things...rooftops...this is how it should be. You can see EVERYTHING from a rooftop!" He smirked at Tas'hukh, who felt his face grow hot. "True, Lord?"

"Just get us back there to watch the fight," Tas'hukh growled, and Tefkha gave an exaggerated sigh and gestured at him to follow, the two of them striding toward the nearer end of the bleachers this time.

"Oh, very well," he said. "Since you are going to be so--well--pissy." He laughed and Tas'hukh scowled at the stupid joke. "I do not advise you wrongly though, Lord," Tefkha added as slapping sounds came from behind them, and the captain peered back to see a sergeant running to catch up with them. "About Ri'hus," Tefkha clarified when Tas'hukh frowned at him. "I think you have already likely made the first proper step, just by taking him under your wing, so to speak!"

"I am training him," Tas'hukh grumbled. "Nothing more."

Tefkha rolled his eyes. "Oh, really, Lord...?"

"L-Lord Tef...Tefkha," the sergeant panted, finally catching up and having to stop to lean on his knees. He didn't get to do so long as the other two kept walking, and he hurried to keep up. "I was h-hoping...I might get to...s-speak with you before the fight..."

"Hm?" Tefkha glanced over his other shoulder and cocked an ear, still walking. "I know you, Sergeant--?"

"Sergeant Shenkh'a, Lord...I am not in your barracks area, but I hoped I might talk with you..."

"How in the Duat is it that you know so much about Private Ri'hus yet you could not even tell he was planning to leave the barracks?" Tas'hukh asked sharply.

Tefkha smirked at him. "Why, you are so curious to know--?"

"I had hoped we might speak before the fight, Lord," Shenkh'a echoed himself; he jogged alongside them like a lost puppy now, and Tas'hukh rather wished that he would go away.

"About?" He lost the lieutenant's attention again and ground his teeth, reminding himself of why this had seemed like such a bad idea to begin with; barracks lieutenants seemed to be on a first-name basis with practically everyone in the tribe, Kana or Moru. "You'd best speak up and speak quickly, since we are headed to our seats, and I apologize but sergeants are not allowed in the front row!"

"I--I wished to ask if you would put in a good word for me, Lord," Shenkh'a stammered, "regarding my promotion to lieutenant. I have heard that you are greatly respected among the lieutenants, so..."

"If you are having thoughts that I know Ri'hus better than I should, then you may cease," Tefkha said to Tas'hukh with a coy smile, then he waved at the sergeant. "Why do you not speak with your own barracks lieutenant, Sergeant--? I think he would be more apt to recommend you for promotion."

"Well...I have already tried, Lord," Shenkh'a said, ears going red, "but..."

"This meaning...?" Tas'hukh said, eyes narrowing.

Tefkha shrugged. "Exactly as I say it, Lord. Ri'hus...has a way of trying to win favor. Not so long after he entered the barracks, he tried to chat me up, much similar to what this fine young Kana is doing." He waved at Shenkh'a, who blushed again. "He was rather more obvious, though, and he is not my type; so I of course refused. As politely as I could, of course."

"And what exactly is your idea of 'polite'--?"

"Polite as in, not letting on that I knew exactly what he was asking for." Tefkha waved at Shenkh'a again. "I am hardly in any qualified position to recommend you, Sergeant, as I have never even seen you fight! I think you might have luck with another lieutenant."

"With respect, Lord, I have been asking all the barracks lieutenants, and--they are all either busy, or--" The sergeant had to sidestep another Kana who passed by and he let out a frustrated noise. "Please, Lord, do you think maybe you could come and observe me train--? Just for perhaps a half hour or so? Then, you may take what you think to my lieutenant, and he may decide from there...all I wish is to reach my next rank, so I can better serve in Mahakhi-Kana's army as you do..."

"Lieutenant elite is a far cry from sergeant first class, Sergeant," Tefkha said, "and it is hardly the plushy wonderful position you think it is!" He smirked back at Tas'hukh, who by now was growing remarkably irritated with how long this was taking, just to reach their seats. "Rest easy, Lord, your pretty private is not some sort of whore; in fact I think he is rather prudent, considering that his training skills were not ever the best. I heard you yourself had a Kana once who utilized much the same ruse to escape training--what was his name--?"

Tas'hukh bristled and bared his teeth. "Ri'hus is NOT utilizing a ruse!" he snapped, furious. "HE is training MUCH harder than probably any of YOUR Kana are currently doing! Perhaps he felt pressured to do such a thing merely because YOU do not seem to be doing your job!"

"Lord--?" Shenkh'a pressed.

Tefkha snorted indifferently. "Oh, go on back to the insults, since I dared to laugh at you a little after nesakh'ai; you are just as much of an unat'e as that other Kana I was with. Lord Shenkh'a--" He pulled his arm free when the sergeant attempted to grasp it, and waved his finger at him with a game smile. "I'm thinking that perhaps, with your attitude today, you are probably best off with the rank of sergeant first class! After all, it is sergeants who actually perform the bulk of the duties of an army!" He made a shooing gesture with his hand and the other Kana flushed a little, then lowered his head and turned to trudge back the way he'd come, ears flaring and a humiliated look on his face. Tas'hukh watched him go before turning back at the sound of Tefkha's voice. "Like I said, do not let my words ruin any thoughts you have of your private; far be it from me to speak ill of him now that he has gotten what he deserved! And by that, I mean a proper trainer, seeing as I am so ill suited for the job, at least according to you."

Tas'hukh's lip curled back. "No wonder he decided to leave, if that is how you treat your trainees!" He waved in the direction that Shenkh'a had gone off in. "I would hardly blame him! You are hardly the best Kana for conversation, OR for nesakh'ai either, might I add!"

Tefkha just started laughing again, which truly irritated him. "Ah, of course...the nesakh'ai was lousy. Very well! Let us find those seats, and you need never let me hump you again. Though perhaps I should have gotten you a seat at the very top, where no one is likely to shower you with piss again." He picked up his pace, his laughter echoing in the alley as they made their way toward the corner, and Tas'hukh ground his teeth and wished that he had just made use of a vase, after all.


* * * * *


The crowds that had gathered in the rickety wooden stands roared. Those upon Fe'kheru's side were just as noisy as those upon Mahakhi's side, yet Mahakhi's Kana were the more boisterous of the two groups, some of the men already far drunk and singing vulgar insults at the enemy, others placing wagers, a few fighting, and still a few more giving hakh'tua to those beside them or even coupling outright high in the stands. Djuta sat beside Resikh with a disgusted look on his face as two Kana sergeants sat bouncing lightly at his other side, one seated on the other's lap, their legs twined and their voices coming in short tight murmurs; the one beneath had pulled up the top Kana's kilt and was busily fondling his testicles as if nobody could see them at all. They actually jostled Djuta a little bit as they hurriedly made love, oblivious to everyone else, and he wrinkled his muzzle.

"Can you believe this?" he growled at Resikh. "I have not a thing against good nesakh'ai. But at least in relative privacy. And most certainly NOT in the bleachers when our general is getting ready to determine the fate of our tribe. Some have no respect left to them."

Resikh started laughing. "I apologize that I couldn't find us better seats, then," he said. "But this is your own fault for awakening so late, and besides, this is what it's always like. You just didn't notice it the last time you were here, because you were down there." He pointed into the relatively empty square below, and smiled. "Will you feel better if I tell you that before the trial started, one of the captains from the tribunal was busy soliciting down in the alley?"

"I can guess which one it was, too," Djuta grumbled, then hissed and jerked back when the two lovers beside him bumped into him again, still murmuring lustfully. "Will you two seek a room!"

Resikh remedied the situation by reaching over Djuta's lap--Djuta noticed that he held a small switch in his hand--and promptly flicking it across the top Kana's penis. The sergeant let out a squawk of pain, doubling over with his hands pressed to his crotch. The others around them, who had been enjoying the show, burst into laughter and showered the two with beer; turning bright red, they stood, pushing down their kilts, and hurried out of the stands. Resikh crowed.

"I have always wanted to try that! I must keep this in mind--a switch to the cock is a nice quick deterrent to nesakh'ai." He peered at the sour look still on Djuta's face and rolled his eyes. "Oh, come now, Dju. Quit moping. You have your space now."

Djuta didn't reply at first, and his eyes had grown pensive and troubled; as soon as he saw Resikh's smile start to fade, however, he blinked it away, and flicked an ear. "As if I do not know what you're thinking?" he snorted, pretending that he hadn't been pondering over heavier matters at all. "I know how your mind works. You were wondering if the two of us could get away with the same thing. I'm willing to tell you that we could--only it would not be you holding the switch any longer."

Resikh gaped at him for a moment before howling again, slapping his knee. He probably would have laughed for a full hour had not a trumpet's blare from below silenced him, and all of the others around them. It was the same as the alert which had summoned everyone from their homes, and it drew out in a long low note before dying away again. An eerie stillness fell over the square, and a Kana in the gray lappets of a scribe approached the center of the clearing, unrolling a scroll and holding it aloft. He halted and spoke so that his voice rang out over the now-silenced crowd.

"Honorable Kana!" he shouted. "Brothers in arms! From the highest general to the lowest private, the most seasoned warrior to the freshest face in the army! You are here to witness the fate of your tribe. Today history shall be made!" He gestured at the cleared pathway into the square, as two figures emerged into view, their strides long and their lappets swinging; a few hoots and yells arose from the stands. "For the first time within the existence of the Great Red Tribe, battle shall be waged by single combat. Instead of risking the lives of his men, our esteemed general has sought to prove his own skills by fighting the captain of the enemy. Your presence today will lend his arms strength! Your cheers will lend endurance to his wings! Your loyalty will preserve the integrity and future of our tribe! Hail Lord Mahakhi! Life, strength, health!"

"Life! Strength! Health! Lord Mahakhi!" those on the right side of the stands shouted, as Captain Fe'kheru and General Mahakhi arrived, striding out toward the middle of the square. No sooner had their cry died, however, than another one arose, from the other side.

"Lord Fe'kheru! Life! Strength! Health! Defeat the enemy!"

Mahakhi's men started to boo and hiss, at which the River and Yellow Sands Tribe Kana began to do the same, making rude gestures which the Great Red Tribe merely mimicked. At first it was as if someone tried to shout over the din; then the trumpet blare came again, and put an end to the insults. Everyone looked down at the two figures standing below, looking back up at them. Mahakhi glared up into the stands, muzzle wrinkling.

"Kana!" he yelled, a sharp edge to his voice. "You will have more honor than that! Act as the adults that you are, and not as spoiled little brats! We are warriors, not children!"

"My men," Lord Fe'kheru called; his voice was not as booming or threatening as Mahakhi's, yet it carried a quiet authority in it. "We are within the settlement of others now. Allow them to hail their general; it is rude of you to enter the house of another, and praise he who does not own it!"

The River Tribe lowered their heads a little meekly. Nevertheless, both sides started murmuring, and what they said didn't sound very pleasant.

The scribe at the middle of the square coughed and raised his voice again. "There shall be single combat between Lord Mahakhi of the Great Red Tribe, and Lord Fe'kheru of the River Tribe, fighting on behalf of his general. Weapons used shall be the sword and the dagger. Any recognized, honorable method of combat shall be allowed; should one party attempt to cheat the other, a decision will be made whether he shall continue or be disqualified. Attempt to use good judgement! Any disqualified party forfeits his right to battle and returns home in disgrace!"

The wording of the announcement made it clear whose side the majority was on, and the River Tribe booed accordingly. Despite this, the scribe allowed the scroll to roll shut, bowed, and departed from the square. Mahakhi and Fe'kheru now approached one another, and the booing was replaced by raucous cheers. The two Kana paid no attention to the crowd, but instead stopped and faced each other, swords drawn.

Resikh held a hand up to his eyes and squinted. "Look at him! Lord Mahakhi. Have you ever seen such a look upon his face? Surely we will win, just because of that look. He gets that look, always, before battle."

"Lord Fe'kheru," Djuta murmured, drawing Resikh's attention. "Look upon his face. I can tell. He does not even wish to fight. In whose favor has this match been decided already?"

Even as he finished saying it, the two Kana below raised their swords, both crouching slightly, almost mirrors of one another. They froze this way like two statues; then, at the exact same moment, they both leapt and swung, swords meeting with a resounding CLANG. There was a brief pause, and a brief silence from the crowd; then in a flurry of clanging blows, the Kana were circling and swinging, and the onlookers cheered anew.

There had been plenty of room left in the stands upon the side opposite the enemy tribe, as their numbers were greater; yet Meteri had chosen to stand at the ground level, facing the direction Djuta had faced when brought before the tribunal. He stood with arms crossed and a severe expression upon his face, not too far from Nehef and Ahai'ikh and several of the others of Mahakhi's men; they occasionally cast a glance at him and murmured amongst themselves, but decided to leave him alone. He was too engrossed in the battle to pay them any attention anyway. She'hekha stood off to his other side, his posture more relaxed; he had even brought along his Moru, and she sat cross legged on the ground, also watching the goings-on. Which consisted of little more than Mahakhi and Fe'kheru swinging their swords at each other, blocking the other's blows and swinging again. It didn't take long for this to grow tiring, at which point they backed away from each other, panting, trying to rethink their strategies.

"It's always easier, you know, when you have plenty of enemies to choose from," Nehef quipped, stretching his wing. "That way, one doesn't get you bored."

Ahai'ikh rolled his eyes. "You are the worst expert on combat I have ever heard," he replied.

Meteri frowned but said nothing.

Fe'kheru launched himself at Mahakhi, his lip curled back. Mahakhi held up his sword to block the blow and their hilts locked. From the way they stood, it was obvious that Fe'kheru found the action more exhausting than Mahakhi; he had to bend his knee to maintain the hold, and his arm began to shake. Nonetheless he managed to break his sword free, and parried a blow from the general. Their hilts locked again and they snarled, their faces almost near enough to bite each other. Now, they looked to be equals.

Nehef moaned and rubbed his forehead. "I think I preferred the trial."

"You just liked to ogle that pretty Moru," said Ahai'ikh.

Ze'thet shot them a look. She'hekha had apparently purchased her a snack at one of the open stalls and she cracked open one of several nuts she had resting in her lap, putting it in her mouth and crunching noisily. The two lieutenants looked at her out of the corner of their eyes.

"Hm," Nehef said, "I think I'd prefer to ogle that one."

Ahai'ikh's ear twitched. "Careful. Somehow, I feel that nut is not the only thing she may crack with ease!"

Nehef winced. A resounding clang came from the square, and the Kana's eyes widened when they saw Mahakhi's sword go flying from his hand. Not least surprised was Mahakhi himself, gaping as the weapon landed in the dust, beyond his reach. He remembered to glance back just in time to see Fe'kheru coming at him, yelling and swinging. He gasped and ducked to the side, the blade slicing the end off of his left lappet. The bit of purple cloth fluttered to the ground and the River Tribe howled raucously.

"Shred his wings next!" somebody yelled. Fe'kheru stood panting with his sword drawn, Mahakhi eyeing him narrowly. The general's nostrils flared.

"Well," he said, his voice hoarse. "Not quite as decrepit as you look, Captain."

"I have heard that you yourself have acknowledged the abilities of the River Tribe," Fe'kheru replied. He stood straight from his defensive posture and brought his sword back toward him. He nodded at Mahakhi's weapon, and the general cocked an eyebrow in puzzlement. He went to pick it up without any protest, except from the Kana of the River and Yellow Sands Tribes, who booed and hissed.

"Your men don't sound too happy with your decision," Mahakhi said, leveling his sword, Fe'kheru following suit. "And I do not believe you will be too happy either, with the outcome. Despite your generosity, or perhaps because of it, I will only have to defeat you all the harder."

"Despite your cockiness, or perhaps because of it, this is why I decided as I did," Fe'kheru returned. "I sense you are not as good a fighter, without your weapon."

A few of Fe'kheru's tribe who were seated close enough to hear their words chuckled at the thinly veiled insult. Mahakhi's nostrils flared again.

"I suppose we shall see about that!"

With this, he attacked--not with his sword, but with his dagger, whipping it out from his belt and flinging it at the captain so quickly that the older Kana had no time to react. It sliced through the bottom edge of his wing, just nicking the membrane before thudding into the ground. The River Tribe let out a collective gasp; this turned into a sigh when Fe'kheru flexed his wing, apparently finding it not too badly damaged, and stood straight again.

Nehef cupped a hand to his mouth and shook one fist at the air jokingly. "The next time, slice it off completely!" A few of Mahakhi's Kana laughed; She'hekha, Meteri, and Ze'thet all looked at him this time, Meteri's expression dark.

Mahakhi and Fe'kheru didn't appear to hear them or care. They swung at each other with their swords again, circling and thrusting and dodging; every time Mahakhi managed to knock Fe'kheru's sword loose of his own, or to shove him so he nearly stumbled, the River Tribe hooted, and every time Fe'kheru managed to open a small cut in the general's arms or legs, the Great Red Tribe shouted and shook their swords. Mahakhi's advantage was his age; being at least a few years younger than the captain, he also had greater endurance. Fe'kheru's advantage, on the other hand, was his size and build; he was as tall as Mahakhi, yet leaner, and thus he more easily avoided the general's blows. The result was that while the enemy Kana managed to hit Mahakhi a decent number of times, his strength was waning; and while Mahakhi was easily wearing him out, the numerous small wounds that Fe'kheru had dealt him were doing likewise. After several more moments of this their hilts locked as they had before, Fe'kheru's beneath and Mahakhi's atop, and everyone fell silent, simply watching. The two Kana's feet dug into the ground as they tried to hold their positions. They bared their teeth and their arms shook from the pressure, nostrils flaring and sweat running down their faces, yet neither of them said a word. They remained frozen that way, a living statue, everyone else watching them breathlessly, awaiting the moment when they would spring back to life.

"Come on," She'hekha urged under his breath.

Mahakhi's muzzle wrinkled and he met Fe'kheru's eyes, his own glaring and livid red. "Feel ready to give up, Captain?" he snarled. "If you do, perhaps I will let a few of your men live to make it home this time!"

"You agreed to this fight," Fe'kheru growled, his own muzzle wrinkling. "I intend to follow through to the very end."

The general snorted. "Even if it means your head on a stick? I was starting to think you a tiny bit more intelligent than that dog of a brother of yours--but perhaps I was wrong. Go ahead and kill your entire tribe, it matters little to me!"

Fe'kheru's eyes grew as dark as stormclouds. "This is the very reason why I intend to finish! My own death I can handle easily--can you say the same? My men and I have lost almost everything that is dear to us--and you lecture me on their fate? I am going to tell you four names! Yekh'ef! Hesi! Khanef! Meteri! These are FOUR good Kana of our tribe, and you have already killed two of them! Yekh'ef was more a brother to me than Sut'khut, and Meteri is as good as my own son. Yekh'ef was Meteri's father, and Hesi was his brother. Even now Khanef-Kana waits back at home and wonders whether we will even return alive or not. He keeps watch over Hesi-Kana's pup--who has no father nor grandfather anymore. Our houses are practically empty and our general is dying. We sought the help of our enemy, and faced their ridicule of us, just to be here today. I took the suggestion of that sergeant of yours, just to try to spare them further. And you think to stand here and tell me to give up--?"

Mahakhi snarled. "You talk too much!"

Fe'kheru snarled right back. "And you do not listen! I tell you this in case I die. I want you to have these thoughts and these names in your head if you are the one who lives! I want you to think of them every single day for the rest of your life, and remember what you did to good Kana, and how you have practically killed us. I want you to go to sleep every night remembering them! Just as we do! Since YOU took them away from us!"

Mahakhi's tusks glinted. "They thought to attack US! They were stupid fools!"

Fe'kheru's wings flared. "They were fathers, brothers, sons! They were GOOD KANA!"

Mahakhi's foot slipped, just a little bit. There was another collective gasp, this time from the Great Red Tribe; Mahakhi and Fe'kheru both let out a low growl, the muscles of their arms screaming for release. Mahakhi's claws dug into the grip of his sword and his breath snorted out of his nostrils. His and Fe'kheru's eyes met again, orange-red and stormy gray.

"Yekh'ef, Hesi, Khanef, and Meteri," Fe'kheru hissed under his breath, ears flaring. "You remember these names, and convince yourself that you were justified in slaughtering us all."


He dug his toes into the sand, and very slowly started to push up on his sword. Mahakhi blinked and strained to resist, but was unable to; his own sword slowly rose into the air. Everyone watching leaned forward as he dug his toes even further into the ground, still sliding, gritting his teeth.

She'hekha clenched his fist, both ears--even the bad one--flaring forward. "Come on!"

Nehef shook his head and furrowed his brow, dazed. "He...he can't lose."

"Come on, General," Ahai'ikh urged. "You can't let that old man beat you!"

By now, Fe'kheru's sword was raised almost above his head. The sinews on the two Kana's arms stood out in sharp relief. Mahakhi's nostrils flared as he tried to maintain his grip on his sword, yet everyone could see it start to slide in his hands as surely as his foot slid against the ground. At any moment now, he would drop it, and Fe'kheru would have the victory.

Nehef just shook his head harder in disbelief and clenched his fists. "He CAN'T lose!"

Mahakhi groaned and lowered his head. He and Fe'kheru didn't take their eyes off of each other, their glares enraged and hateful. He bared his teeth at the captain, a final threatening gesture, before he let his sword slip.

Everyone gasped. The sword slid down in Mahakhi's hands--but instead of dropping it, he pulled it out from Fe'kheru's grip, so the older Kana's sword flew up abruptly, nearly knocking him off balance. In one fluid blow the general swung, sending Fe'kheru's sword flying; it sailed through the air before clattering to the ground a good distance away, a puff of dust rising around it. Mahakhi swung his leg next and Fe'kheru let out a startled noise when Mahakhi's foot connected with his knee, knocking his legs out from under him so that he plummeted to the ground, landing hard on his back. Before he could even push himself up, the tip of Mahakhi's sword was leveled down at his throat, the general panting harshly and glaring at him with fiery red eyes filled with rage. Fe'kheru could do nothing but stare up at him in surprise, panting in return.

The other Kana in the stands and around the square gawked in astonishment. Then Nehef flung his fist into the air with a triumphant howl. Ahai'ikh followed suit, and then everyone else on the right side of the stands, the noise reaching an ear-splitting crescendo.

She'hekha's wings slumped slightly and he crossed his arms but betrayed no other emotion. Meteri's wings slumped as well, but he couldn't maintain a calm face. The devastated look in his eyes made it seem as if he himself had been defeated in front of everyone.

Mahakhi, in the square, kept his sword leveled at Fe'kheru's throat. The enemy Kana stared at him in open surprise for a moment or two, still reeling from the sudden defeat; then the look in his eyes started to change. Mahakhi narrowed his own eyes, nostrils flaring, as soon as he realized what the look was. All of the anger slowly faded from Fe'kheru's face and his muscles relaxed, resignation in his eyes.

"You have won," he said quietly, startling the general. "I may join my brother in peace now."

Mahakhi blinked. For some reason, his stare flicked up toward the crowd standing around the square, and fixed almost immediately on the young lieutenant who had come with the enemy tribe--for the briefest moment, Meteri's face looked almost like Lieutenant Tas'eta's. Mahakhi blinked again, and the West Oasis lieutenant was no longer there...but the look in Meteri's eyes was exactly the same as he had seen elsewhere, not too long ago. He glanced back down at Fe'kheru, with his resigned peaceful expression, and wrinkled his muzzle, baring his tusks.

He snorted, his expression growing irritated, and pulled his sword back from Fe'kheru's throat. Immediately the cheering died as the other Kana gaped at him in confusion; he returned his sword to his side and instead held out his hand to the defeated captain. Fe'kheru looked just as surprised as the rest of them.

"You think I will send you to the same place as that vile dog Sut'khut?" Mahakhi hissed, so that only the captain could hear. "Then you have another idea coming!"

Fe'kheru stared up at him for a moment or two before understanding came to his face, and his eyes softened. He reached up to grasp Mahakhi's hand and the general helped him to his feet.

Nehef goggled. "Has he gone mad?"

Meteri blinked and took in a breath. She'hekha finally betrayed his emotions, snorting and glancing away in disgust.

Mahakhi looked at Fe'kheru as the older Kana took a moment to dust himself off and straighten his lappets, staring distractedly at the ground as he did so; the general then turned to the stands before the rest of the Kana could start protesting, as bewildered, disbelieving babbling had started to arise from both sides. "Men!" he bellowed, and their first faint mutterings died. He turned his back on Fe'kheru and flared his wings. "Warriors! You have seen today what it is to be Kana! A Kana does not flee from battle--but nor does he rejoice in needless bloodshed! A Kana will fight fearlessly until the death if need be--yet if death can be avoided, it shall! Our enemy, my enemy, has come to me today to demand honorable battle. An honorable battle he has been given!" He flung a hand out toward Fe'kheru, full well knowing that he had placed himself in a precarious situation by turning away from him, yet the captain did not act. "And he is defeated!" He flared his wings wider. "He shall return home with his men to tell his brethren of his defeat! Never more shall they threaten us! The might of the Great Red Tribe has been confirmed for all to know! This is what has been agreed upon, between honorable Kana!"

Those of the Great Red Tribe just stared down into the square in open confusion, wondering if their general had lost his mind. The River Tribe looked little different. After a moment of strained silence, one Kana in the stands--Resikh--stood up and let out a howl. Djuta glanced up at him, but before he could ask what he was doing, several more had joined him, then several more, and then more. The Kana in the righthand stands rose to their feet and howled and waved their arms, clanging their weapons, and those of the River and Yellow Sands Tribes sat silently, unable even to rattle their confiscated swords, their ears flattening and muzzles wrinkling. It hadn't been exactly the outcome they had expected...yet at least it had reached an end.

The trumpet blared again, signaling the end of the duel, and the Kana of both sides started to filter down from the stands, talking loudly. Mahakhi watched them go for a moment, then let out his breath and turned to Fe'kheru. The captain crossed his arm to his breast and tilted his head.

"With your leave I will then gather my men and return to our tribe," he murmured. "I cannot speak for the Yellow Sands Tribe. But the River Tribe will bother you no more."

Mahakhi lifted himself to his full height and let out a snort, glowering balefully. "This is not necessary at the moment," he said gruffly, after considering. "The day grows late. Your men are welcome to dine and sleep within the city for the night. We will provide you with provisions should you need them come morning."

Fe'kheru tilted his head again, arm still to his breast; if Mahakhi hadn't been so close to him he wouldn't have even been able to hear his voice, it was so soft. "My men and I thank you." He turned away, and started in the direction of the main stands, where many of the Kana were exiting. Mahakhi glanced over his shoulder to see Meteri approaching, his hand clenching and unclenching at the side of his kilt. He felt a small pang; the youth's presence had been one reason why he had not wished to kill the enemy Kana, as he would otherwise have planned. For a moment the boy had looked almost exactly like Tas'eta-Kana, and he himself remembered how he had felt when Nehekhi had died. With a gusty sigh he turned for the main exit, hoping to avoid most of the crowds. Perhaps he would wash himself off, and have Simit rub unguents onto his cuts, before passing the night in a more pleasurable way. His tail flicked when he thought of this, and though all of his muscles throbbed, the duel had put him in a good mood yet again, and he started to pick up his pace in anticipation of the night ahead. Simit, and perhaps Dji'it. They would end the night most nicely.

Meteri was still a good distance away when, from the corner of his eye, Mahakhi saw Fe'kheru halt abruptly, hunching in on himself. He paused and looked at the older Kana curiously. Meteri slowed to a stop as well, though his look was one more of confusion.

"Lord...?" he called out, hesitantly.

There was no answer. Fe'kheru didn't move for a moment, but when he did, it was to slowly crumple to the ground, falling forward with a dull thud, his wings fanning out limply at his sides. Mahakhi's ears pricked and Meteri went running.

"Lord! Lord Fe'kheru!"

The few Kana still within earshot--including She'hekha, Nehef, and Ahai'ikh--paused as well, then turned back. Mahakhi snorted and jogged over to the fallen captain just as Meteri reached him, grasping his arm and turning him over onto his side. The general stooped to look down at him, the rest of the Kana forming a rough circle around them. Fe'kheru was pale and panting weakly, his eyes glassy and his hand clasped to his breast.

"Lord!" Meteri cried, baring his teeth, his eyes welling up with tears.

"What is wrong with him?" Mahakhi inquired, puzzled.

"I do not know," Meteri murmured, looking his captain over. He pressed a hand to his forehead, then grasped his arm. "Lord? Can you speak? Please! Say something!"

Mahakhi lifted his head and looked around. The crowd around them was growing thicker, the other Kana murmuring and talking to themselves. He stood up and flared his wings, snarling and waving some of them away.

"Go on! Make room! LORD NEHEF!" The lieutenant snapped to attention, saluting with a wince. "Seek out the physician immediately!" Mahakhi snapped. "Have him prepare a bed at once!"

"Yes, Lord!" Nehef gasped out, turning and fleeing; he and Ahai'ikh pushed the rest of the Kana out of the way as they went. She'hekha stopped beside them and stared down at Fe'kheru, his face emotionless. Mahakhi turned back to Fe'kheru and Meteri as well; the lieutenant had dropped his head down to Fe'kheru's breast, his wings shaking and his hands clasping the captain's. His voice came out muffled, broken.

"Please, Lord," he begged, shoulders hitching, "you cannot die."

Mahakhi scowled. Even as the crowd thinned and the cry was sent out for the physician, he reached down and placed his hand upon the youth's shoulder, squeezing tightly.

"If I have any say, boy," he muttered, "then he most certainly will not."


Continue:

"Part 54: Healer


Please REVIEW if you rate.
Please DO NOT rate if you won't review.
Thank you!



This item is NOT looking for literary critique. I already understand spelling/grammar, and any style choices I make are my own. Likewise, I am NOT seeking publication, so suggestions on how to make this publishable are not being sought.

This item IS looking for people who are simply interested in reading, especially in long/multipart stories, and who like to comment frequently. My primary intent is to entertain others, so if you read this and find it entertaining, please let me know so and let me know why.

If in the course of enjoying the story you do find something that you feel could use improvement, feel free to bring it up. Just know that that's not my primary purpose in posting this here.

If you have any questions about the story or anything within it, feel free to ask.

I do hope you enjoy! :)

© Copyright 2002 Tehuti, Lord Of The Eight (tehuti_88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/519665-Part-53--Duel