*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/530001-The-Y2K-That-Didnt-Happen
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #530001
A man who thought Y2K was going to shut him down.
***I wrote this after Y2K. I hope you enjoy.***



Y2K, a computer bug that was supposed to shut down the world. Well, did your world shut down?! If it did then you should go see a Psychiatrist. If not, then sit back and listen to this little story.


John Aart, a lawyer for 18 years, was 47 and his life was good. He didn't have a worry in the world (he was a happy man). In 1995 he bought a computer. It was one of those computers that were the best and that everyone had, but didn't know how to use. John started out not knowing anything, but by 1996 he knew everything there is to know about computers. Life was better then before.
One day in 1997 (I think it was in the very merry month of May), John was surfing the web when he saw it. It was bad. It was very bad. It was very, very bad. It was...well you get the picture. It was info on Y2K. At first he thought it was a scam (didn't we all?!), but when he looked up more information, he saw that it was a real thing. He started to worry for the first time in his life (well, there was that time when his cat almost got run over, but that has nothing to do with this). He stared to search for info on what to do about it. When the search engine asked for what he wanted to search for, he put in "What to do about it". The search failed. So he put in "What to do about Y2K". That did it. It said to get water, a flashlight, food, and a lot more.
By December 1999, John Aart was ready for Y2K. At 11:37 PM on December 31st, he was sitting at the computer waiting to see what would happen. At 11:59, he was still sitting at the computer.
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Year 2000!!!!!!
And he was still waiting.


And that's the story of The Y2K That Didn't Happen; and as for John Aart...he's at the psychiatrist's office.
© Copyright 2002 Andrew Ronzino (kinggramjohn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/530001-The-Y2K-That-Didnt-Happen