*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/554836-Identity-lost-Part-One
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Romance/Love · #554836
The beginning of a possible novel, all about love, lies, and danger...
Tuesday, June 2

         Walking down the path in the forest behind her home, Aria thought about the events of the past few days. What happened, you will soon see, was planned years before. However, you first need to know about Aria and her family.

          Aria is the oldest of four girls, being ten years older than Mara, Katya, and Lyna, the triplets. While the triplets are identical, looking like both parents with light brown hair and blue eyes. All three are a little plump, much like their mother. Aria, however, looks nothing like her parents, with her jet black hair and emerald green eyes, and has always been slim and slender. As the oldest child, it has been her duty to help her mother with the running of the manor. At fifteen, Aria had taken charge of the household, while her mother was made to stay in bed during the birth of Aria's only brother. The brother, however, did not survive his first week, succumbing due to his early birth and weak lungs. Now seventeen, Aria is seen more than her mother, who has never quite recovered from her last pregnancy.

         Three days before, a messenger had come to the manor with a message for her father. Aria had had no idea what the message said, however she knew that it something to do with herself when her father called her to his study. She had gone into the Study to find her mother there as well. This was shock enough, as her mother spent most of her days in her quarters.

Saturday, May 29

         "Father, you asked for me?"

         "Indeed, my child, I did. As you know, I received a message yesterday morning. That message was from the King, and in it your presence was requested in Ibria. You will be leaving for the capital within the fortnight."

         "Why would the King wish to see me, Father? I have never been to the capital, nor have I ever come under the Kings notice before now."

         Her mother now spoke. "My child, I fear that we have not been entirely honest with you. You see, you are not truly our daughter. Now," she said as Aria tried to object. "You are the daughter of our hearts, given to us when we thought no other child could ever come to us. You were given to us that we might protect you from the evil that sought to destroy you. And so, we have raised you as our own, given you our name, and kept silent about the truth. It is now time that you know exactly who you are."

         "I am not your child? If not yours, then whose child am I? The Kings' perhaps?"

         Her "father" spoke again."Nay, child, the Kings daughter you are not. Nay, your father is only very close to the King, and so it is only right that the King send for you, as not to bring the curiosity of you fathers enemies to our home. Your father is..."

         "Nay! I have no desire to know! You who stand here are my father, and I shall have none other! Nor shall I go to Ibria. I have no need to see this man who posses as my father!" Aria turned and ran from the room. She knew that it was unladylike, but no longer worried that she would be reprimanded.

Later that night


          Aria lay on her bed, wondering if she had perhaps been unkind. She knew that her mother and father would not have done what they had done had they any other choice. Perhaps she should have listened to what her father had to say. Perhaps going to Ibria would not be such a horrible thing. Perhaps we could all visit Ibria. Then I would not be alone with strangers.

          The floor outside her chamber door creaked, and then candlelight flooded the chamber as her mother entered quietly.

         "Oh, my darling. You must not worry so." Her mother sighed, silently weeping over the impending depart of her eldest "child". Even though Aria was not hers by blood, she was just as much her daughter as the triplets were. "Perhaps there is some way to convince the King to allow you to remain here..."

         "Nay, mother, it would be wrong to ask such of the King. Perhaps father would bring all of you to Ibria as well, and then I would not worry." Aria peaked up at her mothers face from where she lay her head on her mother chest.

          Magdalene stroked the long black hair. "We shall see, my darling. You know you must go, whether we are to accompany you or nay."

          "Of course, but it is not a pleasant thought. I would not leave you were it my choice."

          "I know, darling, I know. Now, you must rest, there is much to do before you leave, and much more if we are all to accompany you."

          "Yes, mother. Goodnight."

          Magdalene walked to the door, and stood looking down on the sweet girl that she loved so well. Lord, watch over my child. Let not the evil that will soon surround her harm her.

Present, on the forest path...

         I wonder what it will be like? Will my father welcome me with open arms? Will I finally know who I look like?

          "Aria! Aria, where are you?" Aria turned around to see Mara, the youngest and sweetest of the triplets hurrying toward her.

          "Mara! Slowly, child! A lady never rushes!"

          Mara smiled. "A lady never yells, either, dear sister!" Mara gasped for breath as she reached her sister. "Mother just told us that we will be going to Ibria! All of us, and you are to have a coming out ball!" Mara's excitement was visible, and Aria would have shared it, had her sister not given her something new to worry over.

          "A coming out ball? Whyever for? I have no need of a ball, as I have no intention of marrying ever. Oh, perhaps it is..."

          "It is what?"

          "Nothing, little one. 'Tis no concern of yours. Come," she said, turning back toward the manor, "we shall go see mother." Aria set off toward the manor, Mara holding tight to her hand. The small girl reminding Aria of a plump pixie.

          They found their mother seated in her sitting room with the cook, going over the menus for the days. The two girls waited quietly while she finished speaking, but as soon as the woman closed the door behind her, Aria moved to sit next to her mother. Magdalene looked at both girls curiously, knowing it was only a matter of time before their curiosity overwhelmed them. Aria, of course, was the first to speak. "Mother, Mara has told me that we are all to leave for Ibria, and that there will be a ball once we are there. Is this so?"

          "Yes, my child. We shall all leave for Ibria Thursday after next. While we are in the capital, there will be a ball in your honor, as you are now well into the marrying age. Oh, you needent argue about it, dear. Your father wishes it. The ball shall be a grand masquerade, and you shall be the bell of the ball."

          Mara was now overcome with excitement. "Mother, will Katya, Lyna, and I be allowed to attend?"

          "We shall see. You may ask your father. I however, see no reason for not to be allowed to attend the ball, until it is time for you to be in bed. In fact, young miss, I believe that you are not where you are supposed to be." Mara lowered her chin, knowing that her mother meant for her to return to the nursery for her nap. "Nora will be furious when she finds you have disappeared again. Now, off you go."

          "Yes, mother," Mara said as she walked to the door. "Mother? Where is Aria going?"

          Aria answered for her mother."I am going nowhere for now, little one. In time, I may have to go, but I will never be too far."

          Mara smiled and left the room. When they knew that Mara had left, Magdalene turned to Aria. "Your other father has decided that the most appropriate reason for you to be in the capital would be for a coming of age ball. Most girls your age have already had theirs and been married a year or more. For you, we have not done so, as we felt it was not truly our place to choose a spouse for you, and so a ball would have been without purpose. Because of your true position in society, the King himself has the final decision in regards to your spouse. Now that the King has called you to Ibria, there is no reason for you not to have your ball."
          "No one has ever mentioned a ball, nor do I desire one. I am not so special that I need a ball to draw attention to myself." Aria thought a moment, then turned back to her mother. "Did you not, in telling me of my father, tell me that he was unable to visit due to the danger posed by his enemies?"

          "Indeed, however, the circumstances have changed. Your fathers worst enemies have all disappeared, or passed away, and so the threat is no longer there."

          "I see. If we are to leave the Thursday after next, then it would seem that I have much work to do. If you would kindly provide me with the date for the ball, I will commission gowns for myself and the younger ones from our seamstress."

          "Nay, you shall not need to do so here. When we arrive in Ibria, then shall we visit the seamstresses. The ball shall be given on the 12th day of August, leaving you with much more time to prepare, and to meet with your father."

          "Thank you, mother. I shall see to the packing, and visit the nursery as well."

          "Very well, my dear." Magdalene watched as Aria walked quietly out the door. She was truly an odd child, so quiet, and yet so passionate, slow to anger, however once angered her anger raged like an untended fire. The Lord alone knew how she would react to the truth.

"Lord, help us all when she finds out!"

Thursday, June 9

          Aria's father, Lord Michael Barlow stood in the courtyard, waiting for the women of his household to finish preparing themselves for their journey. His wife would soon be assisted down the front stairway, and there he would meet her to assist her to the carriage. He knew that Aria would deal with her sisters. Lord Michael turned to look at his manor, knowing that he would not see it again for many months. The journey to Ibria alone would take them several days, a journey made worse by the chatter of three young girls.

          Hearing the chatter he had been thinking of begin behind him, he turned to see his eldest daughter guiding her younger sisters down the stairway and to the carriage that they would occupy. "Aria! I would like to speak to you before we leave."

          "Yes, father." Aria left the girls by the carriage and went to her father. When she stood next to him, he motioned to a man she had never seen before to join them. "My dear, this is Jonathon Imberson. He is to be your guard, and as such, he is only to leave your side when you have need of privacy. He shall sleep in a room adjoining yours when we reach Ibria, and shall travel with you and the triplets in your carriage. This decision was made as soon as the message from Ibria came, and so there is no reason to argue."

          "Yes, father." Aria knew that her father would not enforce the order if there were no threat to her. Indeed, the order would not exist if the threat from her true fathers enemies no longer existed. Aria turned to Jonathon and said, "Sir, I cannot say that it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, however, perhaps we will be able to help each other."

          "I thank you, my lady. Perhaps under other circumstances, it would have been a pleasure to meet." Jonathon felt quite pleased at meeting this spirited, yet quiet beauty. Turning to Lord Michael, he said, "My Lord, if you will excuse us, we shall prepare to depart."

          Aria watched her father nod, then turned away to return to her sisters, who by now were chattering about the mysterious new man. "Girls, into the carriage. Mother will be down soon. Oh, this is Jonathon. He will be traveling with us to Ibria." The girls all curtsied, and Jonathon looked dazed. As each bobbed her curtsy, Aria named them off. "Katya, Lyna, and of course, little Mara."

          "How do you do?" Jonathon had never seen three people so identical. The only way to tell that Mara was Mara was that she was so much smaller than the other two. He knew that before they reached the capital he would call them all by the wrong name.

          All five entered the carriage, Jonathon waiting until all the ladies had arranged themselves before he entered. The arrangement was such that Aria was seated next to him, with the three girls on the seat across. Aria leaned toward him, whispering, "You cannot separate them if they do not wish to be separated."

          Jonathon whispered back to her, "I would never have thought."

          The girls all giggled, but Mara said to her sister, "Aria, you know it is not ladylike to whisper in the presence of others." The other two laughed, as Mara had sounded like their mother.

          "Indeed, do I know this, little sister. However, you seem to have forgotten that you must respect your elders." Aria smiled, letting her sister know she meant only to tease. Mara and the others laughed, and Jonathon sighed inwardly, wishing that he had such a rapport with his brothers and sisters.

          Aria looked past her new guard and out the still open door of the carriage in time to see her father walking her mother to their carriage. "If you would close the door, sir, we shall be off."

          "As you wish, my lady." Jonathon reached over and closed the door. Moments later they felt the carriage jolt forward, following behind the carriage carrying Lord and Lady Barlow. Their journey had begun.

          Later that evening, after many hours of travel and many short stops, Jonathon felt the carriage slowing once more. This would be the last stop for the evening. They would be staying the night in the Hornblower Inn. He looked across the carriage and saw that the triplets had fallen asleep. At his side, Aria was beginning to fall asleep as well. Without saying anything to her, Jonathon reached over and lightly shook the shoulder of the closest girl, waking her. Katya in turn woke the other two.

          "We will be stopping for the evening. You will need to arrange yourselves before we arrive." He sat back as the girls straightened their traveling gowns and gathered their personal belongings. Beside him, Aria did so as well.

          She leaned closer to him and whispered, "You need not worry about them, sir. They are under my care."

          "Indeed, they are. However, you my lady, are under my care. If they are important to you, then I it becomes my duty to see that all is right with them. If they were in danger, then you also would be."

          Aria said nothing to him, instead she turned to instruct her sisters. "Katya, Lyna, Mara, we will dine with mother and father. When we have finished, you shall go up to your room with Nora. You are to wash and then sleep. We leave early, and have much traveling left." The three tired girls readily agreed.

          So went the first day of their journey, as well as the two days to follow. By day the girls chattered and giggled, by night they slept. Aria and Jonathon sat side by side through the journey, few words passing between them until the third evening. On the third evening Jonathon spoke about her identity.

          "You mean to say that you know who I truly am?" Aria was not pleased.

          "Why would I not know, my lady? 'Tis the reason I was chosen to be your guard. Your father, the..."

          "Stop! I have no desire to hear his name!"

          "You do not know?" Jonathon was amazed. Here was a young woman who had been born to a wealth and status many others dreamed of, and yet she would hear nothing of it. She was most privaledged, and yet knew not of her position.

          "Nay! My father would have told me long ago, but I would have none of it. When I meet my true father, I will know it is he."

          "How will you know?" How could a person simply "know" such a thing?

          "I know not how, but it will be so." Aria knew she sounded as is she were bent for the nearest home for people with no minds, but had no way to explain. Aria thought of something she had not before thought of. "You are not some simple man, are you, sir?"

          "A simple man, my lady? Nay, not a simple man. I am a knight in the Kings court. A minor Lord, and protector of the... your father."

          "Ah, a peer of the realm? Yet were you sent to stand guard over the missing daughter of a peer greater than yourself?"

          "It is a great honor to serve my King in anyway he sees fit. Any other knight may have been sent to guard an ugly hag, and yet I am sent to protect the fairest maiden in the land."

          "You jest, sir!"

          "Nay, my lady! Of such I could make no jest. On my honor, I swear it!"

          "Very well, sir knight. Have you any family, sir?"

          "Aye, my lady. My elder brother Gregor is the Earl of Imberson. I myself hold only a small barony, and my two sisters are wed to men of similar standing."

          Another thought came to Aria. What if her father had other children? As he seemed to be close to him, she asked Jonathon.

          "I know only that your mother and father had a son who was killed with your mother in the attack on the pal..." Jonathon trailed off, not wanting to point to her father's identity. However, Aria quickly understood what he had been about to say.

          "You were about to say the palace, were you not? Why would my mother have been in the palace? My father is not the King, yet someone close to him." Aria had not been in the city since her mothers death, and she had been but a babe then. She had never heard the tales of the Crown Prince's tragedy, yet she was a smart girl.

          Jonathon sat silently, not daring to say a word. After a short time, she spoke. "I will say nothing of this to anyone. You alone know that I have this knowledge. If any other were to hear, our lives could be in danger. I fear what the knowledge of my existence will cause."

          Jonathon did not feel he should tell her that her father's enemies had known for some time that she was alive. It was only her return to the capital that would incite them to act again. "My lady, I shall be by your side to protect you. My sword and my bow are yours."

          "I thank you, sir knight." Aria leaned back into the seat and neither said another word. When they reached the inn they would stay in for the evening Jonathon remained by her side. As they entered the main room, which served as a dinning area, he saw our men watching them closely. One of the men was familiar to him, and Jonathon was almost certain he had seen him in Ibria. Jonathon took Aria's elbow and led her over to her "father". "My lord, I fear those men may mean us harm. We must move on."

          "You are certain?" asked Lord Michael.

          "Yes, my lord. I have seen the one in Ibria. They may have been sent to watch for your daughter and to be certain she never reached Ibria."

          "Very well." Lord Michael went to speak with the innkeeper. "Innkeeper! Have you rooms for thirty people?" he asked loudly. The inn was small, with rooms for but twenty when empty.

          The innkeeper shook his head. "Nay, my lord. I have not."

          "Then I fear I must move my party on."

          Jonathon took Aria's arm again, saying loudly, "Come along, my dear. We shall not stay here this night. Perhaps, father," he said, looking back toward Lord Michael,"the Brownberry Inn would better suit?" Without waiting for an answer, he lead Aria out the door to their carriage.

          Once outside the Inn, Lord Michael sighed with relief. The atmosphere inside had been far too tense. However, the atmosphere would have become far more tense, had Jonathon not created an excuse for their hurried exit. "Sir Jonathon, you are to be commended. Your quick wit may have saved our party an unpleasantly hasty and dangerous escape," Michael said in a hushed voice to Jonathon.

          "I thank you, my lord. Perhaps it would be best were you to call me Jonathon. Sir seems somewhat odd coming from the man who is my 'father'."

          "Quiet right. Now, there will be a slight change in our plans. Aria, you will quickly exchange cloaks with Nora. You will then enter the carriage with the hood of your cloak over your head. We will continue to travel together until I signal you to leave us. When I signal, you and Jonathon will leave the carriages and continue on horseback. The carriages will stop at the next Inn, while you continue on to the Town House. We leave immediately!"

          Aria turned to Jonathon, who again took her arm, escorting her into their carriage. Once inside, Aria removed her heavy black cloak, and handed it to Nora. Nora in turn removed her own coarse cloak, replacing it with the far more elegant cloak belonging to her mistress. Once the cloak settled around her shoulders Aria turned to Jonathon. "It seems, Sir Knight, we are destined to be together far longer than I had first believed. I trust your sword and arm are steady and true?"

          "Indeed, my lady. There is no sword nor arm truer, nor more loyal. Your father has entrusted you to my care, as has Lord Michael. I will not betray that trust. My only hope is that you will allow the same trust to grow between us." Jonathon grew quiet as he waited for a response. Aria opened her mouth to respond, only to have Jonathon motion for her silence. "Now is not the time, my lady. Lord Michael has slowed the carriages. Our mounts will be waiting for us outside. Follow after me."

          Now feeling somewhat frightened, and worried she would never see her sisters again, Aria said goodbye. After hugging each of the triplets, she turned to Nora. "Watch carefully over them, Nora. They mean the world to me."

          "I will, my lady. God speed," Nora said, and Aria was gone.

         Two horses waited for them outside the carriage and they quickly mounted. Aria did not look back as she spurred her mount into motion. Without the carriages to hold them back, they rode swift and were soon well away from the others. They had ridden for several hours when Aria thought she heard the sound of riders behind them. "Yes, my lady, they are following us, and have been for more than an hour." Jonathon turned his mount onto a path through a much more dense part of the forest. Aria followed and they were soon so deep into the forest they could not see the sky.

         They rode on, the sounds of the forest around them growing louder, nearly swallowing the sounds of their mounts. They had riddent hard through the forest for nearly an hour when it began to rain. Soon both were soaked through and Aria was beginning to shiver violently. Jonathon swore under his breath, looking at Aria and noting how miserably wretched she looked. He looked around and noticed that the growth around them was becoming less dense, thining out ahead of them. They continued to ride and after another fifteen minutes Jonathon say something that would provide shelter and perhaps even some warmth.

         "My lady, there is a barn ahead where we might find shelter. Follow me and be careful!"

         Aria looked past where Jonathon rode and say the shadowy figure of the building. The prospect of warmth urged her to move her mount more quickly. Soon they were in front of the barn and Jonathon was pulling open the doors to let her enter. Once inside Aria shivered and removed the soaked cloak and then began to see to her horse. She was loosening the saddle when a hand was pressed over hers. "I will take care of her, my lady. Would you see if there are any blankets for us to use?"

         Aria slowly nodded her head. Pulling her hand from beneath his, she moved slowly into the dark barn. "Sir Jonathon, I believe I may have found something. Do we have a lamp, sir? I cannot see to tell you what I've found." Jonathon followed the sound of her voice in the darkness and soon stood beside her. "I have no lamp. There may be one here as well. What have you found?" He reached out and touched something very soft, softer than any blanket he had ever felt before. Leaning closer he smelled it. "Ah, it seems that the owner of this barn is in furs. You seem to have found a pelt."
         "No, I seem to have found a large pile of them. See for yourself." Jonathon reached out in front of himself and indeed there seemed to be a large pile of the soft pelts.
         "These should keep us warm until morning.

*Star* More to follow soon. If you read it, please take the time to rate it. Any ideas would be appreciated.*Idea**Frenchstar* *Reading*
© Copyright 2002 wandering writer (frenchstar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/554836-Identity-lost-Part-One