*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/566519-Secrets-in-the-Walls
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #566519
A story about love, evil, and taking over a kingdom...
Written with Rose Grey



Once, a thousand years ago, there was an evil and dynamic power that disturbed the peace of the normally serene countryside of the kingdom of Saelyan. The once green fields lay fallow and had been so for many years. A sinister gray fog lay over the land, preventing the sun from bringing life to where there was now only death. It is not known how the people of Saelyan survived through these dark times but somehow, they did.

In the small town of Gwiddyc, near to the great Tihearnion Sea, a baby boy was born to a poor fisherman and his wife. They knew they did not have the means to support him so, despite how much they loved him, they threw him into the sea and left him to drown.

It was not, however, the will of the great Gods that this little boy, whom had been deemed Briath at birth, should drown in the sea Tihearnion, but that he should defeat the power and restore Saelyan's life. The great water god, Reehanna, steered the baby through the sea and brought him to the shores near the town of Myhatenon, where he was found by the servant girl to the Lady of the city.

Briath was taken to the Lady Rhiannon of the Caer Myhanion and adopted as her own child, for she was barren and had none of her own. Briath was trained in the ways of any noble man, but was drawn to the sword.

As they have a way of doing, the years passed and Briath became a fine man. The best fighter in the kingdom and the most skilled with a sword, Briath was chosen to defeat the power, for Saelyan could not stay under it's malevolent curse any longer. If the power was not captured, Saelyan would die out completely.

So, Briath set out in search of the power, determined to save the kingdom from its evil curse. After three years of searching, he succeeded in tracking down, and capturing, this great power. No one knows how exactly Briath managed to capture the power, but when Saelyan was returned to life and Briath returned to Myhatenon, he was given a hero's welcome and made king of all Saelyan.

So, Briath was married to Nidda, daughter of the Lord and Lady Jahnseson of the city Nituria and crowned as King of Saelyan. During the first ten years of his reign, while waiting for a grand castle to be built, King Briath and Queen Nidda lived in Caer Myhanion and had three children. When the castle was finished, the first thing Briath did when he and his family moved in was hide the power he had captured.

There is no trace whatsoever of any records that might tell where the power is held, or even of the power itself. Briath, throughout the rest of his life never once told where he had hidden the power, but it was widely believed that it was somewhere in the walls of the Caer Himantis. Though, for the many years since Briath's death, men and women alike search for the captured power, it is felt that no one except the royal family will ever know the secret of the walls.

*****



Maecyn watched King Roinar's dark eyes carefully for any reaction to his words at all. Although there was the appearance of calm and the semblance of being unaffected, Maecyn knew that Roinar feared for himself and, most of all, Saelyan.

The king nodded with resolve and spoke, "I know the tale Maecyn, but what does that have to do with why you've come before me this day?"

Maecyn looked up at his king and removed a lank strand of hair from his crystal blue eyes before continuing to tell his tale.

"As you know, your Highness, there have been many subtle attempts on your life. I believe that someone is hunting this power granted to your family."

Roinar looked at the man before him for a moment. He was his most trusted Knight and anything he said could be believed. Maecyn was dressed in the normal Caer Himantis black and white uniform, with light chain mail armor for protection. The King then let his eyes drift from the man to the room about him.

Before him were the two large wooden doors made of Meriodan oak, the strongest wood in all of Saelyan. Each of the doors was stained a deep, reddish color and had intricate carvings depicting the history of Saelyan. Deep green and gold carpeting made it's was across the white marble floor up to the steps of the pedestal. A balcony was off to the right showing the city of Myhatenon that lay at the feet of the castle.

Other then some tapestries portraying the past rulers with intricate weaving and a few potted plants, there wasn't much else in the room besides the thrones. Roinar's gaze came back to Maecyn before him, a grim expression upon the King's hardened face.

"Maecyn if it is true that one seeks the power so avidly as to threaten me, Saelyan could be in grave danger."

The Knight nodded, "What would you like done, Your Highness?"

"I wish you to find who is behind this and stop them before they can move any farther in their endeavor."

Maecyn nodded, "I will not fail you, my King."

"I trust your abilities Maecyn, but with a journey such as this, I would like you to name someone to accompany you."

Maecyn's eyes glittered with excitement but as he looked up at the King, they returned to their previous, serious state. "A companion, my Lord?"

Roinar nodded, "Choose wisely Maecyn. I shall allow you whom ever you wish."

The Knight nodded, his face thanking the King, but with the concentration and appearance of thought. "I would like to take Lady Alura with me, my Lord."
*****



"The King wishes your presence in the throne room, m'lady." A knight, dressed in full official duty stood at attention and spoke with a gruff, trained voice that showed no emotion whatsoever.

Alura looked up from where she sat in the palace garden and rose with a sigh. As she followed the man, the strips of her long top swayed about her black booted ankles. As the two reached the throne room, the Knight entered first and announced Alura's presence before Alura stepped into the room.

Alura nodded to her father and glanced slightly at Maecyn, who knelt on one knee before the King. "You wished to see me father?" she asked.

"Yes, my dear, I did." Roinar replied, his voice betraying his insecurities.

Alura raised a light colored eyebrow in question. Usually, her father was a collected man and would very rarely show any sense of insecurity at all. "What is wrong father?"

Roinar let out a long sigh of confusion and frustration. Alura, puzzled by her father's lack of serenity, waited for his answer silently. After another heavy sigh, the King answered. "There...Someone threatens Saelyan, my dear."

Alura's black eyes showed her shock and worry as her father paused for a brief moment then continued.

"I have asked Maecyn to seek them out and put an end to them."

"What does that have to do with me, father?" Alura asked, slightly perplexed as to why this news should cause for her presence.

Roinar glanced slightly at Maecyn before returning his gaze to his youngest daughter "I gave him the choice of any companion he wished... he wishes you to accompany him, Alura."

Alura's eyes widened in her shock and she glanced for a moment at Maecyn before returning her gaze to Roinar. "Me, father?" She asked, her voice filled with uncertainty.

The King nodded slowly, acknowledging her as correct. "Yes, my daughter; you. I know naught why he wishes for a princess to accompany him, but he wishes it and I did say he could choose anyone."

Alura nodded and then looked to Maecyn. "Why me?" Curiosity rang in her voice as she waited for the man to justify his decision.
*****



Maecyn looked from the King to Alura. The girl's dark eyes held much confusion as well as curiosity. She waited patiently for his reply as Maecyn took a moment to collect his thoughts.

"My Lady," he began, "If someone is seeking the power of your family, than it is the family that they seek. In no way is this simply for your great company, Lady Alura, but to attract whomever this is controlled by."

Alura nodded, if looking a bit offended at the thought of being a lure, then looked to her father.

Roinar replied simply. "If any of us leave here, I believe it will be suspected by whomever is behind this. Maecyn is correct in his thinking. I believe whomever is behind this will seek out whoever leaves the palace."

Alura nodded. "Then I shall ready for an early departure tomorrow."

Roinar nodded and Alura bowed her head slightly then turned to leave. With a glance at Maecyn, uncertainty in her eyes, Alura walked from the room.

"While your thinking seems sound Maecyn, I can not help by wonder if there is more to this than simply that," Roinar stated.

Maecyn's face lost all expression at these words, "What do you mean, Your Highness?"

"It is well known that Alura has had an interest in you for some time, although your own thoughts are a mystery. Could something be leaking out?"

Maecyn sighed to himself then replied, "My reasons are as said, Your Highness, as well as for her nature. She shall be the most pleasurable to travel with on a journey such as this. Pardon my words, but the others would be quite hard to endure for this journey."

Roinar chuckled. "She will be indeed in some ways Maecyn, but not so in others. Alura is a spirited young lady."

Maecyn nodded. "I will bring her home safely, My Lord," he declared.

Roinar gave Maecyn a dismissive nod. "You may go prepare, Maecyn. I wish you a safe and successful journey."

Maecyn rose, bowed, and walked from the room with out turning his back upon the King.
*****



Cadoewan stood looking out his window. His mind was focused on thought, so he did not notice the drifting of day into night. There were rumors that the King was to send out someone to look for the power his family had inherited so long ago, to make sure that it was, indeed, safe.

Cadoewan smiled, for that one only one of many rumors that had reached his ears. The other had been that Maecyn and Lady Alura were to be sent out on some type of mission.

Laughing a bit to himself, he finally noticed that it had become night.

"We'll see what these rumors entail." he said to the darkness. "I shall keep a watch on the castle to see what is going on."

I shall keep my distance though, he thought, for these rumors could be traps for me and I do not want to be caught. No, that would not do at all!

He chuckled, slightly manically, into the night air.

"Saelyan, you shall be mine!" he declared. "I will have my due!"

Roinar shall get what he deserves! he added to himself. Exactly what he deserves.

He smiled at the thought of the power of the Royal family being used to destroy the King and all of Saelyan. What a wonderful sight that shall be!
*****



Alura was seated upon her deep gray mare, Myst. It was just past dawn and Maecyn was nowhere to be seen. She sighed and waited patiently, since she had only been there for a few minutes.

Maecyn had stopped by her quarters last night to inform her of the time they were to leave. He had said shortly after dawn, but it was shortly after dawn and he was nowhere in sight.

Alura sighed, then relaxed, and let out any anger that might have been brewing when she saw Maecyn heading toward her with a stable boy that held his mount and the pack horse.

"Glad to see that I had to keep you waiting," Maecyn said, though he corrected himself when he saw the glare on Alura's face.

"All I meant was I'd rather be the late one My Lady...than have to have you disturbed at this hour with a message of 'get moving'."

Alura's glare lessened slightly though she was in no way satisfied with his explanation. Alura knew that Maecyn felt awkward about how his words came out, but he had to know it was never polite to make a Lady wait.

"Let's be on our way, shall we?" she asked, her eyes betraying her slightly annoyed feeling.

Maecyn nodded, took hold of the pack horses lead, attached it to the horn of his saddle, and then they were off.

"Where shall we start looking for whomever is up to this?" Alura questioned, wanting to know where they were headed toward.

"We'll head toward Condessa and keep an eye out," Maecyn replied.

Alura nodded; she didn't like being a lure, but knew it was the only way to possibly draw out the source of the attacks on her father.
*****



Cadoewan paced beside the window once again. The sun was beginning to rise and he had places he had to be. Things were starting to go as planned for him. The King was sending out people to look for him, possibly to trap him. Though he wouldn't allow that.

Cadoewan looked out at the horizon as it turned orangey when the sun began to peak over it. He had to be moving out now. Things to do, people to find, power to collect.

The Power must be located and the Lady Alura is my best bet, he thought, chuckling softly

Gathering up his things, Cadoewan set out for the stables. He would follow the two from the Palace and find the power that would be his.
*****



They rode on toward Condessa, neither of them saying a word. Maecyn felt very awkward, especially after his words had come out all wrong and had practically insulted the Lady Alura.

Maecyn sighed to himself; this was going to be a long trip. King Roinar hadn't been joking when he had said that Alura had other things about her that would make her hard to travel with. She was a spirited woman and shouldn't be reckoned with, if you could help it. Maecyn knew he should simply apologize for his words, but also knew that he'd truly said nothing wrong.

"Maecyn," Alura spoke, "Stop daydreaming and get up here."

That's when Maecyn realized that he'd fallen rather far behind her and got his horse and the pack horse trotting to catch up.

"Sorry, My Lady," he said.

Alura looked at him and smiled slightly, "I won't be able to bare hearing 'My Lady' time and time again over this journey, so I shall grant you permission to call me Alura for the duration of this trip."

Maecyn nodded. "Thank you, My La...Alura."

Alura nodded to him and they rode on again in silence.
*****



Cadoewan watched Alura quietly, not letting on to his presence just outside hers and Maecyn's camp. He stood with his night black stallion, rubbing his hand along the creature's neck.

"Midnight, we shall soon have the knowledge we need to release the great Power and destroy all of Saelyan," he whispered to the giant stallion.

And I will finally have my revenge against Roinar! Cadoewan smiled wryly to himself; he couldn't wait to see Roinar's face as a sword was brought down on all his family and then himself.

"Yes Roinar, you will suffer for what you have done to me!" Cadoewan spoke, just loud enough for his voice to be carried away by the wind.
*****



Alura looked up at the wind and narrowed her eyes as if listening to something. "Maecyn, did you hear anything?"

Maecyn, on the other side of the camp, looked up and shook his head. "No, I didn't. Maybe you heard an owl, or a wolf. Perhaps even a dragon youngling," he said, standing up and walking over to where Alura sat by the fire.

Alura looked up and shrugged. "Perhaps, but it sounded more like someone speaking."

Maecyn smiled. "All this pressure must be getting to you. Come now, we should get to bed. We will be doing much for the next weeks."
*****



A few weeks later, Maecyn and Alura came into the city of Condessa. There had been nothing along the way to tell them the hiding place of the one they pursued and no one had been able to tell them anything. In fact, no one really knew that there was someone after the great power. As Maecyn and Alura entered Condessa, Alura looked around and sighed.

"You would think that there was no threat with the way these people are acting. But, I guess the one we seek isn't stupid," she said, turning to Maecyn, who smiled at her. Alura felt her heart flutter at this simple act of friendship. She had long been attracted to Maecyn Chlokk, and it was well known among the Royal family and their servants. But, what they didn't know was that she not only liked him; she was in love with him. Deeply in love.

"What?" Maecyn asked, his grin becoming larger and more exaggerated. Alura smiled back and shook her head.

"Nothing. Just thinking about something," Alura replied, turning to look down the road. "I'll go to the inn over there and get us two rooms. You get us some more supplies."

"Yes, m'lady," Maecyn joked before turning his horse toward the market and heading off that way. Alura shook her head. In the weeks since they had started their journey, Maecyn had become more open and friendly. He had lost that official, servile tone and had become more like a friend instead of a knight journeying to save the kingdom. Alura liked it that way.
*****



Cadoewan laughed as he approached Alura and covered her mouth with his hand. Pulling her into the shadows, he threw her against the wall and smiled.

"I know where the power is now, Lady Alura," he said, playing with her hair a bit. "There's no way you can stop me. I will have my revenge."

"R-revenge? Revenge for what?" Alura asked, quivering in fear.

"Your father knows, although he doesn't know it," Cadoewan replied, his voice filled with hatred. And, although it wasn't your father who did it, he didn't stop it from happening.

Alura was about ready to pass out and she looked out of the alley at her horse, wishing she could be on it and riding up to the inn.

"Continue on your journey, Lady Alura, but it is for naught, for I know where the power is located," Cadoewan said, poking Alura where her heart was and letting her go. Cadoewan watched as Alura struggled out of the alley and onto her horse. Laughing, he turned around and walked out of the alley on the other side.
*****



Alura plopped down on her bed and placed her hand on the spot where Cadoewan had poked her. It still hurt, but Alura barely felt it for the adrenaline coursing through her veins. Cadoewan had frightened her greatly, though he hadn't harmed her. Why?

Cadoewan's hair had been as black as Maecyn's, but his ebony eyes had none of the kindness of Maecyn's blue ones. The rest of Cadoewan's face ad been hidden by the shadows, but Alura had the feeling that he was handsome; and young. They weren't dealing with a wizened old man, but a passionate young one. Alura really couldn't tell which one was worse.

A knock on the door startled Alura, causing her to jump slightly. Getting up, she walked over and opened it, revealing Maecyn standing there in his usual attire, minus the chain mail armor. He smiled, but appeared confused when Alura sighed with relief.

"What is it?" He asked with concern, entering the room and placing his hands on Alura's shoulders. Alura felt a warm comfort wash over her and felt safer than before.

"Cadoewan...he pulled me into an alleyway and he told me he knows where the power is. Maecyn, he knows where the power is!"
*****



Maecyn's eyes went wide with both shock and fear as Alura told him about what Cadoewan had told her. "What? He told you he knows where the power is?"

Alura nodded and looked up at Maecyn. "Yes, and he as much as told me that we've lost."

Maecyn smiled at this and brought Alura's head against his chest. "I don't think he's won yet, Alura. Not yet." Maecyn rubbed Alura's back, trying to comfort her as she regained control of herself.

Oh, Alura, why did he tell you this? Why does he scare you like this, my love? And why do I even allow myself to love you? There is no chance...

Maecyn sighed and looked down at the top of Alura's head. He had fallen in love with her over the weeks of their trip. Her stubborn pride, her spirited nature, and her unforgetable personality; he loved them all. Alura was the most beautiful woman in the world; Maecyn had known that since he had met her, but he had not known of her true self, what was inside. And, he thought, I think your inside is more beautiful than your out.

Alura pulled her head off Maecyn's chest and looked up at him, smiling slightly. "You're so warm," she said quietly.

"Thanks, I guess," Maecyn said, giving Alura a lop-sided grin. And you're so beautiful, he thought.

"Maecyn...I..." Alura said, looking up at him with the look she had given him back at the Academy when they had first met. It was a look of sheer attraction and...love. Maecyn smiled softly.

"No need for words, Alura. I know what you're going to say," he said quietly, leaning forward and pressing his lips to hers softly, yet passionately.

Alura, shocked by the sudden acknowledgement of love, pulled out first and breathed hard. "Maecyn..."

"Alura?" Maecyn asked, raising his eyebrow and smiling.

"Well, I guess you already know this, but I love you," she said, looking up and touching Maecyn's lips with her finger.

Maecyn kissed Alura's finger and took it him his hand. "I love you, as well," he said, brushing his hand down her face. Alura closed her eyes slightly and bit her lip. Then, opening her eyes again, she leaned up and kissed Maecyn, returning his kiss and sealing their love forever.
*****



Cadoewan watched from the darkness as the two embraced. This had not been something he'd expected to happen. He smiled slyly, knowing that the outcome of this declaration of love between Maecyn and Alura would be quite interesting to behold.

Nearly as intriguing as the call of revenge against dear King Roinar. Cadoewan chuckled softly at the image of Roinar pleading for his life, then his cold-hearted taking of it.

As the young knight rose to leave the Lady Alura for the night, Cadoewan smiled as she begged him to stay near. He knew that he had done quite well at frightening the poor girl.

He smiled wickedly at the two knowing that they were the keys to everything he wanted from this life. They were leading him to what he prized most in this world. The Power.

The power to take revenge and the power to make all of Saelyan tremble before him.

Cadoewan chuckled softly once again before exiting the shadows and leaving the lovers to themselves.
*****



Maecyn looked into Alura's deep black eyes. They held a mixture of emotions, though two of them tugged at his heat the most. The love and the fear. He took her in his arms, stroking her hair as he spoke.

"If you'd feel safer with me here, than I shall stay," he said in comforting tones.

"Thank you...all I can think about is what Cadoewan might do if he returns."

Maecyn held her closer. "I won't allow anyone to harm you Alura. You have no worries over that."

He let her pull away from him and look up into his eyes. She smiled sweetly and gave him a tender kiss.

"You should get some rest, Alura. You've had a long day," he said, kissing her back just as gently.

She nodded and walked over to the dresser as Maecyn turned and walked to the door.

"I'll make a quick check out in the hallways."

Alura turned to him, her eyes pleading him not to leave her; she nodded anyway. "But quick... please."

Maecyn nodded and felt her eyes watching him until the door had shut, then the latching of the lock after him.

Maecyn sighed. He didn't want to leave her alone, but knew he had to check around a bit. Moving quickly and quietly, he looked about the hallways on their floor before taking a quick look downstairs in the Common Room. No signs of someone suspicious.

Satisfied, he went back upstairs, looked about their hallway again, and knocked upon Alura's door.

"Who...is it...?" Came Alura's shaky voice.

"Maecyn."

The door opened slowly and slightly until she saw that it was indeed him and swung it open. He walked in and she threw her arms around him.
******



"Whoa there, Alura. All I did was enter the room," Cadoewan heard Maecyn say. Chuckling as he entered the shadows once more, he watched the lovers as they embraced.

"Ah yes, young lovers; enjoy the time you have together as long as you can, for soon you won't be able to love one another," he said, his voice ringing with evil. "For once I have the power, I shall destroy the Royal Family and all the Knights. I will spare no one except the beautiful Lady Alura, whom will be my queen!"

Cadoewan watched as Alura walked over to a corner and changed into her nightdress. Then, chuckling as Maecyn walked over and told Alura that he was going to his room to get a pillow and some blankets for himself, he departed from the shadows once more.
*****



The next morning, Maecyn watched Alura carefully as they road out of Condessa. He could tell that she was nervous to leave the safety of the town knowing that Cadoewan was still out there somewhere.

Alura's eyes darted to every sound that was made within the forest through which they rode. Maecyn sighed and brought his horse along side Alura's.

"Alura, you mustn't be so nervous. Even Myst is reacting to it. Please do not worry so. I have promised to keep you safe and I shall honor that promise fully."

Alura turned to him and smiled, taking a deep breath.

"I know you have Maecyn...though...we have no idea exactly how powerful Cadoewan is without the power, or even how close he's gotten to the power."

Maecyn reached over and put a hand on her shoulder and spoke once it was again by his side.

"We shouldn't worry about that Alura. I have a feeling this Cadoewan was simply fooling you. I thought about it while I kept watch last night. If he indeed knew where the power was, why would he tell you? I think he was simply trying to scare you into leading him to it."

Alura looked at him and blinked. "But I don't know where it is."

"Obviously this Cadoewan thinks you do."

Alura gulped. Maecyn could tell that she was more nervous now. Having a possibly crazed man after her for knowledge she did not possess was unsettling to her, as it should be.

"You shall be safe beside me," Maecyn assured her.

Alura smiled to him, then turned back to the forest.
*****



Alura sat by the fire looking up at the star filled sky through the gaps among the trees. The moon was nearly at its fullest and shone brightly in the sky. She sighed and looked down into the dancing flames.

"Feeling better now?" Maecyn questioned her.

Alura jumped at the sudden noise, but then relaxed. The day had gone by smoothly with no mishaps or Cadoewan sightings.

She nodded, "Yes. But as you can see I am still slightly jumpy."

Maecyn smiled and put an arm around her. Alura rested her head against his chest as they sat there together; she felt safe.

Alura sat there in Maecyn's arms, quietly letting her body relax.

I know I'll be safe with Maecyn beside me. She thought just before sleep overtook her.
*****



Another three weeks slipped away without any knowledge as to where Cadoewan's lair was, or even if he had indeed found the power. Maecyn began to feel despondent, as if he had failed not only King Roinar, but all of Saelyan because he hadn't been able to find the evil wizard. No one in any of the towns even knew that such a man existed and only a few seers knew of the attacks on the Royal Family. And, as he and Alura passed through yet another town without hearing anything new, he felt the self defeat rise inside of him.

"Well, that's every city in Sin Tapbel, if I am correct. Why don't we go into Oretone and head to Gwiddyc? Briath's birthplace might help a bit," he said, turning to look at Alura, who nodded in agreement.

"Seems to me like that might be the place to find something," she said, a lingering bit of determination still in her voice.

Maecyn smiled, her hope helping to wash away the doubt and bring some resolution back inside of him. "Yeah, well we should be in Gwiddyc in no more than three hours if we continue this pace and don't stop along the way. And, we'll finally be by the Tihearnion."

"Yeah. Finally, a city where one can feel at least somewhat comforted by the waves," Alura whispered, mostly to herself, but loud enough for Maecyn to hear. Sighing, Maecyn nodded his agreement and brought Thunder into a fast trot. Alura soon came up next to him and they rode the rest of the way in silence.
*****



Maecyn and Alura made it to Gwiddyc just after nightfall. The two found an Inn and got a single room, for even with no sightings of Cadoewan, Alura was still slightly unsettled by her encounter with him those three weeks ago.

Alura took the bed farthest from the door while Maecyn sat up upon the bed that he'd moved to face the door as well as the window within the room. As he sat there, he heard Alura breathing as she fell off to sleep.

Maecyn soon found himself surrounded by darkness. He stood there motionless; eventually allowing himself to take a calm inspection of what was around him. Although he could see nothing beyond the blackness until a word reached his ears.

“Welcome.” The word seemed to float to Maecyn’s ears with an air of malevolence.

Maecyn turned around and stepped back, shocked. It was as if he was looking into a mirror with the only difference between him and the man before him being their eyes. The man who stood before him seemed to have light eyes, yet they were shrouded in gloom,.

“It is finally time for me to introduce myself to you,” spoke the gloomy eyed man. “I am Cadoewan.”

Maecyn glared and went to lunge at Cadoewan but he couldn't move.

"No, no, no. Bad reflection," Cadoewan spoke mockingly, "This battle begins only when I deem it so."

Maecyn's eyes showed their hatred and fury toward this man of evil.

Cadoewan chuckled and walked around Maecyn.

"Keep on building up that anger, dear boy. It will only help me in the end." Cadoewan sneered as he came to face Maecyn once again.

Maecyn glared at the man who was imitating him. "I am no reflection of you!" Maecyn declared, "It's simply some trick of your wizardry to catch me off guard."

Cadoewan chuckled, "Not a reflection of me! Dear boy, there is so little that you know about me, while I know everything about you."

Maecyn tried to lunge at Cadoewan once again, but was still unable to move.

Cadoewan smiled at him evilly. "You will soon find out all there is to know about me, dear boy."

Maecyn's eyes were beginning to darken with his anger. It was then that Cadoewan smiled even more. "Now we are ready dear boy," he said and lunged at Maecyn.

Maecyn was able to avoid the punch, though underestimated Cadoewan's speed. The man soon had him by the throat.

"Can you see it dear boy?" He hissed in his ear.

"See...what?" Maecyn choked out.

Cadoewan smiled. "Who I am."

Maecyn's eyes were beginning to grow cloudier with each moment Cadoewan held him. Maecyn struggled at the man's grip, but was unable to loosen it. Standing there, he felt it as the life was drained out of him and as he struggled, he looked into Cadoewan's eyes and gasped at what he saw more so than for breath; they were his eyes.

Cadoewan was apart of himself; all of the anger and rage of his past that he'd kept locked up inside of him. It was with this realization that he stopped struggling and let what was left of Maecyn drain into the being of Cadoewan.
*****



Alura had watched this entire encounter, unnoticed by either of the men. And now as she saw her love, her Maecyn, being sucked into this evil man, she realized that it had been Maecyn all this time. It had been Maecyn who had threatened the kingdom, planted those attacks against the King, everything! He had brought her along thinking that she knew something about the power, hoping that she would release it to him and thereby destroy her family and the entire kingdom of Saelyan. And yet, when she knew that she should hate him more than the power itself, she could feel no anger, no animosity toward him.

Oh Maecyn, my life, my love, how could it have been you to do this? You in the form of the handsome, yet completely evil Cadoewan. How was it you? she thought as the rest of Maecyn was sucked into Cadoewan.

"Aha! Free at last! Free from the shadows of Maecyn's mind and free to take the power from whence it lies," Cadoewan said, walking over to Alura. "Yes, my beautiful one, I knew you were awake. And, I know that I could never hurt you..." Cadoewan rubbed his finger along Alura's face gently, as gently as Maecyn had. Alura felt the usual warmth of Maecyn's touch rise up her spine and envelop her body.

"Please...what are you going to do with me, Cadoewan, if you are not going to hurt me? I know you won't let me go back to Myhatenon..."

Cadoewan nodded. "No, I shan't let you go back to Roinar and tell him that it is his most trusted Knight that is out to destroy his kingdom and his family."

"Will you tell me?" Alura asked, standing up and looking into Cadoewan's eyes; darkened versions of her beloved Maecyn's.

Cadoewan's hard gaze faltered for a moment and it appeared as if Maecyn was attempting to get out. "No, my love, I cannot tell you now. Nor can I let you go. You shall come to my lair, in the caves of the Sea-Song Mountains, and help me release the power."

Alura shook her head and felt herself harden. "No. I can't help you. One, I don't know anything and two, I cannot let you destroy Saelyan! Take me to your lair and treat me as a prisoner if you will, but do not force me to destroy my family and the land we love!"

Any trace of kindness in Cadoewan's gaze disappeared at this and an evil glare returned to Cadoewan's eyes. "As you will, Alura," he said, raising his hands and sending a black ball of fire into Alura's head, knocking her out.
*****



"How good it feels to be free," Cadoewan muttered to himself as he levitated Alura into his lair and settled her down on one of the beds. Kneeling next to her, Cadoewan pushed her hair from her face and smiled slightly. "Now, if only you would agree to help me. I know not what this is, but I believe Maecyn will not let me harm you to get this information out. He loves you far too much and I do believe it washed over to me. Now, awake m'lady."

Alura's eyes fluttered open and she looked over at Cadoewan. Smiling slightly, she reached out and touched his cheek. "You truly have Maecyn in you, Cadoewan, and I do not know why, but I cannot bring myself to hate you. I cannot hate you, but I cannot help you, either."

Cadoewan nodded, cursing himself inside for Maecyn being such a soft weakling. "You wished to know why I want revenge on your father," he said gruffly. It was not a question.

Alura nodded. "Yes. Tell me why you hate my father so much."

"He did not stop his brother from killing my parents. He knew that they were Adeth's Secret Keepers; he could have kept him from killing them just before his death. But he didn't! He never told me who my parents were, he never let me meet them, and he didn't keep his brother from killing them! Roinar is partly responsible for killing my parents, the two most important people in a person's life!" Cadoewan said, standing up and looking across the countryside and watching the Tihearnion Sea; beautiful, yet so deadly; much like Alura.

Turning to Alura, Cadoewan struggled to keep from showing his deep emotions, and sighed slightly. "I will never know my family because your uncle was evil and your father didn't stand up to it."
*****



Alura looked up at Cadoewan and wiped away a tear from her eye. It was not his story so much as it was his pure emotion that drove her to cry. His love for the parents he had never known was both beautiful and saddening simultaneously. "Well, that seems like a good reason," she said after a moment of silence.

Cadoewan nodded and turned to Alura. "Alura...I need your help! I can only release the power if you give me complete consent," he said, his voice pleading and cracking with emotion.

"Why would you need my consent? I am unimportant to this now..." Alura said, almost dejectedly. She felt as if she was being torn apart by her love for Maecyn, who was now a part of Cadoewan, and her love for father and kingdom. It felt as if she was to hold out a decision any longer, she would be ripped apart; her soul splitting down the middle, half going to one and the other half going to the other.

Cadoewan picked up and sword and walked over to Alura, whose heart pounded in fear of what Cadoewan would do to her for doubting him. Just as she was expecting to die, Cadoewan put the sword into Alura's hands. "Hold this while I speak. Alura, long has Saelyan believed that the power was hidden in the walls of the Caer Himantis and people have been scouring the building for a millennia, but no one has found anything. It is this that told me that Briath had been smarter and hidden it somewhere safer."

Alura nodded, playing with the sword a bit. "But, how does this affect me, Cadoewan?"

"It affects you completely, Alura! Briath hid the power in the heart of his youngest child and it has been passed down through generations being carried by the youngest child of the ruling monarch. Should the youngest child die before the monarch had children, it would enter the monarch until he or she had a child to bear it. You, Alura, are the youngest child of Roinar and therefore, you have the power!"

Alura looked up, completely shocked. The power was in her and she had never known it? "Impossible!" she found herself saying.

"Is it so? Hasn't the youngest child always been the most spirited and independent? The bravest and the most cunning? It is the power that does this and the power is in you! And, the only way to get it out is to kill you and suck it out before it leaves your body or for you to willingly give it over. And, Alura, I don't wish to have to kill you. Alura, please. Make your decision and act accordingly. If you decide to help me, you and I will be king and queen, lovers for all of eternity. However, if you decide not to help me, take that sword and run it through my heart so that I might join my parents in the Underworld."

Alura looked at the sword in her hand and then up at Cadoewan. Oh Maecyn, my love, while it is not you, you are in there and I cannot kill you. Yet, I must follow my duty to my father and to Saelyan. And, as much as I love you, my Maecyn, the many of the kingdom outweigh the need I have to be with you.

"Maecyn...I know it is only you with Cadoewan's power and name, I love you and I will continue to love you as long as I live. However, my duty is to my father and to my kingdom. I...I cannot give you the power..."

Cadoewan's shoulders slumped and he looked at the ground. "Well then, Alura, let me die here today and go back to Myhatenon. Let me join my parents, Alura. Just know that I love you." Looking up, he gazed at Alura; the look in his eye one of resignation.

Raising the sword, Alura aimed at her target and threw. Cadoewan's eyes widened as it flew over his shoulder and into the map of Saelyan. "Alura?" he asked, walking over and holding her shoulders.

"No. I love you, Maecyn Chlokk. I love you and I don't care what happens to Saelyan or my father! I don't care, as long as you are alive and I am with you forever," Alura cried out, her voice hoarse with emotion. "Take the power, Maecyn. Release it. Just promise me you'll love me for all of eternity!

Cadoewan leaned down and pressed his lips to Alura's, his hatred seeping into her body, darkening her hair and hardening her soul. "Alura... I promise you. I promise with all of my heart that I will love you forever. Now, releasing the power. It is much easier since you do this willingly and you shan't feel, or even see, a thing. You will, however, be able to tell when it is gone." Closing his eyes, Cadoewan pressed his hands to the spot where Alura's heart was located and muttered the words of a common releasing spell. "Arach Sunt Mahchter Grienteh Nomone Tu Gildare."

Alura smiled as she felt the power leave her body and journey over all of Saelyan, darkening the skies almost immediately, although the change was nearly unnoticeable. Then, turning to Gwiddyc, she watched the town for a moment. "What are you to do now that you do not have Briath to save you? What will you do!" Scanning the entire horizon, she laughed evilly and looked at Cadoewan as he came to stand next to him. "When do we begin, Maecyn darling?"

Cadoewan looked down at Alura and smiled. "Why do you wish to know, Alura?"

"Nyiara. I wish to be known by the name Alura no longer, as it is the name of the one I used to be and I am no longer that person. Now, answer me, Maecyn. When do we leave?"

Cadoewan chuckled and looked out at Saelyan with Nyiara, both of them waiting for the correct time to attack. "Soon, my dear. Soon."
*****

© Copyright 2002 Professor Q (rainangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/566519-Secrets-in-the-Walls