*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/582953-Letter-from-a-Journalist
by Shaara
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #582953
A female reporter writes to her editor about an investigation she would like to pursue.
To my editor:

Dear Sir;

          The following is the story you requested. It is quite unfinished, and I hope you will allow me the opportunity to pursue my research in Egypt. I am eager to meet and interview Dr. Stone in person.




          The renowned Dr. Stone, the most famous archaeologist from Great Britain, has just this week made another unprecedented discovery! While digging in the rubble of Algabran, he unburied what is thought to be the bones of an ancient king. As careful as only a trained man of science can be, Dr. Stone, dreading lest he mar a single fragment of his unearthing, is, at this very moment, searching for clues concerning the identity of this royal personage.

          How did he uncover the mummy of this ancient king? The discovery evolved from his previous find at Algaban. Only last year, Dr. Stone was studying the ghostly ruins of previous long-dead kings, when he headed slightly south, and began to dig in the sand dunes. With an almost instant cry of joy, he jumped up from the rubble, bearing in his hand several knives from long dead warriors. It was at that same site where, upon further digging, he located the unknown king.

          Dr. Stone claims that it was the light of the sun falling onto the metal of the knives that brought his eyes to the discovery, but there are many Egyptians who fall to the ground as Dr. Stone walks by, and "the noble mystic," I have been told by many, is a close translation of the name the Egyptians have given to him.

          Dr. Stone, of course, is the first to discredit such nonsense. He states that his finds were quite the opposite. But with his rather noble and austere personality, one can readily understand that the quality that inspires such awe, is the reflection of his noble demeanor.

          In appearance, Dr. Stone resembles many English noblemen -- he is handsome, dashing, and a true gentleman. He is easily startled by bad manners, and has been heard to upbraid a rude person for unsavory language. Dr. Stone is famous for his courtesy to ladies, (probably because such is rare in today's modern world) and he often leaves a trail of sighing maidens behind in his wake.

          But, it is a universal truth that wherever there is a man with such remarkable characteristics, his wife will soon join him at his side. This journalist wonders very much whom she will be.

          It would be a great windfall for British ladies if one were lucky enough to catch his eye. Personally, I find it sad that Dr. Stone's mind is fraught with old bones and x-ray machines dating his finds. I am positive that a slight nudge from the right female would motivate Dr. Stone to look beyond dried-up old bones for his happiness.

          Yes, I know I should confine myself to writing about such a fascinating archaelogist instead of commenting on his lack of a wife. But you must understand, that this zealous reporter, always knows a good thing when she sees it, and I think it would be most beneficial for this paper if I took a closer examination of the site and the discoveries of Dr. Stone.

          Therefore, if permitted, you have my assurance that I will devote my complete attention to this matter, and I assure you that if you grant me permission to go to Algaban, I shall write a much better story about the future of our famous Dr. Stone.
© Copyright 2002 Shaara (shaara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/582953-Letter-from-a-Journalist