*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/593534-Olivia-2-Boys-Night-Out
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Horror/Scary · #593534
The new beginning of Chapter 2.
Jack felt his hatred towards Olivia grow stronger with each moment that passed. She had everything he didn't- status, age, rank. But, she was weak. She would never have real followers; only old and feeble mortals felt she was anything but a pain. A pain that was always getting him in trouble or taking away his fun.
It seemed like every time he turned around Jack had to make sure that Olivia was towing the line, Olivia was following the rules, and Olivia was kept inside, where no one knew she existed. When Jack had first crossed over, his head had been filled with Govi’s promises of power and intrigue. Instead, Jack was nothing more than a glorified babysitter. The only pleasure he received was during the punishments he had to dole out. At those times, he thought of himself as Govi’s enforcer.
Jack grunted as a small drop of blood appeared on his cheek. He kept his anger in check as he slowly lowered the razor in his left hand. The thin line of his beard was uneven; it almost made him want to scream. She was ruining everything! Jack wanted to look severe, not like a fool who couldn’t shave himself. Great, he thought as he began to scrape away his carefully sculpted facial hair.
In a few moments, the artwork that had taken years to perfect was gone. In its place was a naked face that looked too young to be of any use. Jack's jaw clenched; he was ready to strike. He pulled the silk ribbon that tied his sandy hair back and watched as it drifted around his face. It felt like spiders crawling across his skin, but his pride was worked up. His hair touched his shoulders; he hoped that it would take attention away from his unwanted appearance.
He was ready for the hunt. He could smell his own blood, earthy yet tainted with death. He longed for prey that would take flight from him in terror instead of the complacent stock that he fed from in the city. Tonight would be a night for him to slip, for he was about to break one of Govi’s commandments. He would hunt one of the citizens of New City. He would chase them down and make them bleed. That would be his satisfaction for the night. As their blood ran through the streets, he would imagine that it was Olivia’s blood. He would imagine that he was finally free of her for good.
The tick of the clock in his adjacent chamber reminded him of how fleeting the night really was. A quick glance told him it was past two, time to get moving if he wanted to leave the tower for the streets. Strangely enough, Jack was never nervous about breaking Govi’s rules. He was the enforcer; there was no one to keep him in check.



Wolfe abhorred cities. They were loud, dirty, and polluted. His lungs burned from the smog, and he found himself hating the people that lived there. They weren’t like the country folk he was used to. Instead, they were all slaves who couldn’t think for themselves. The poor were feeding stock who were kept alive so Govi and his children could feed. The rich were the free thinkers and innovators who kept Govi on top. None of them knew the struggles of those outside the city. Wolfe found himself longing for the rural people who took him in and saw him as a protector. He missed the smell of blood that was free of chemicals and untainted by a dormant lifestyle. He missed the thrill of the hunt. Most of all, he missed those who willingly gave themselves up to him out of passion, and not complacency.
Wolfe knew that he stood out from the world around him. The plebes scurried around underfoot. They were constantly running from the fear of the vampires who searched them out for food. It was a horrific experience for them, even though they accepted their purpose in life. The vampires didn’t care for them, they just took what they could and moved on. They reminded Wolfe of the prostitutes of ancient times.
As the plebes scurried, the upper class largely ignored them. They pretended they had a purpose. Guffaws followed them around, as they sported the newest trends. They walked with a purpose and wrinkled their noses at the less fortunate. Then, they returned to their upscale homes and tried to forget who ran the show.
On top of all this, the vampires lurked in the shadows. It was believed that they were a direct link to Govi, and any suspected vampires were revered. In fact, many of the prominent mortals were very adept at disguising themselves as vampires. One visit to the tower could rocket someone to the highest ranks of mortal society. Unfortunately, it also brought their attention to the lowest of vampires. The bottom-feeders were highly jealous of any mortals who could achieve what was beyond their reach.
Wolfe’s nose wrinkled as one of the plebes passed him. The old man stank of whiskey and grime that was weeks old. The man glanced back at him for a moment, stumbling on a crack in the sidewalk. The darkness seemed to spread out to engulf him. When Wolfe held his hand out to the old man, he scuttled back in fear. The man’s hands were scraped in bleeding, but they didn’t tempt Wolfe in the least. Wolfe shook his head in disgust as he watched the man hurry away. He missed his home more than ever.
The night was open to Wolfe, but he didn’t want it. The babble of metropolitan sounds grated at Wolfe’s nerves, while the bright lights hurt his eyes. If Olivia wasn’t trapped in the tower, Wolfe wouldn’t have bothered. However, he had to keep an eye on her, for Claire.
Claire. She was a blossom born of sin. He would have done anything for her, and he was proving it. Claire was the love of his life. After she shed her life as Govi’s mistress, they had protected each other. Not only had she kept herself hidden, she had also kept him protected and shielded from the world that he was now immersed in. She had felt he was ready to face Govi’s world and make his presence known.
For the first time in his history, he felt dwarfed by his surroundings. It frustrated him that everything was for so large but for no reason besides the ego of one man. It was only his purpose that kept him from losing his way. He had to keep Olivia safe and wait. He knew it would be years before he could escape the city completely. He was sure that by the time Claire had finished her own plans, every member of the city’s society would be hunting him.





Wolfe’s stomach growled. He sniffed at the tepid air, trying to catch the scent of confidence. He wasn’t the type to feed on the frightened or disadvantaged. Claire had taught him about the different tastes that accompanied human emotions. He had already proven her theory right in the sprawling city of his nightmare’s, though. She was right. He was used to the highest quality of country folk. When he fed on the lowest of the city folk, he was lucky he kept it down.
Everything around Wolfe began to slow down as he concentrated on finding his next meal. The fear, greed, and weakness around him began to disappear as he focused on finding the most desirable food source. It took a while, but he finally caught the sent of someone who was confident and seemed to be untainted by city life, so he zeroed in.
Wolfe was finally in his element. The city no longer mattered as long as he was in the process of the hunt. He tread carefully as the scent of his prey grew closer. Everyone around him got out of his way, because they could tell what he was and his purpose. None of them understood the vampire’s criteria for feeding, so they gave him a wide birth. They didn’t want to be his next snack. Even the upper-class made sure to stay out of his way, because he carried a wildness they couldn’t understand.
The city began to change, as cities often do, because Wolfe found that he was nearing the tower. His damsel was locked in her cell nearby, and the night was beginning to waver. He decided to pay her a visit before the sun came up. Maybe, he’d find sanctuary from the day.
By the time Wolfe was directly under the tower, his prey’s scent had become so strong he could taste the man’s testosterone. It was musky and salty. Wolfe’s job became much easier. He only had to catch sight of the man, then he would feed.
Wolfe scanned the crowd that always seemed to be grouped around the entrance to the tower. They were all too eager and caught up in their old worlds to be the man Wolfe was seeking. They were all dressed in their best, hoping to impress anyone remotely connected to Govi. Wolfe soon became frustrated; he couldn’t find his quarry. Then, he heard what sounded like a small bleat.
Wolfe gazed into the small alley where the sound had come from. A small shred of movement towards the back caught his attention; he began to move towards the opening.
“No.” The voice was small and frightened, but it was also calm. The sorrow that accompanied it tugged at Wolfe’s heart. Then, he heard what can be best described as an evil laugh.
Wolfe chose every step into the alley carefully, for he didn’t want to be heard. His eyes quickly adjusted to gloom, so at once it seemed that he could pick out every piece of garbage that lined the walls. He was even able to distinguish a small piece of angora yarn out of the mess. Of course, the hulking, familiar figure stood out spectacularly. Wolfe took it upon himself to clear his throat.
“Where did you come from?” Jack barked in surprise. The young girl in his grasp squirmed as she tried to escape. The mangled body of a man lay at their feet, still emitting the scent that Wolfe had been tracking. Wolfe shook his head in disgust.
“You’ve wasted a perfectly good life.” A growl started low in his throat. “That’s gluttony, pure and simple.”
“Oh, you wanted a bite, too.” Jack laughed. “Here.” He threw the small girl at Wolfe. “I was going to keep this as a snack, but you missed the main course. It’s usually illegal to eat above class, but I’ll make an exception this once.” Jack smiled, waiting for some gratitude.
Wolfe gently enveloped the girl in his arms, and glared at Jack. “You’re one of Govi’s men. Now I see how he runs this city. Get out of my sight.”
Jack’s jaw dropped. His shaving nick split open a bit, causing a small sliver of blood to ooze out. Wolfe’s stomach joined him in his growl, and his fangs descended. Jack’s face clouded with anger, and he began to approach Wolfe. “What did you say to me? I have the support of a city behind me. You should watch your step.”
“I’m not in the mood for this,” Wolfe snarled. His little girl trembled. He could smell her salty tears as they dripped down her face. “Leave us now, before I truly get angry.” Wolfe’s eyes glowed red with fury.
Jack snorted. “You don’t scare me.” He failed to notice the transformation of Wolfe.
Wolfe sat his little girl carefully down on top of a stack of boxes, where she curled up into a little ball. He was beginning to take on animal qualities- a thicker brow, longer snout, fingernails that were quickly becoming claws. He crouched low to the ground, waiting for Jack’s attack.
For the first time in his career of working for Govi, Jack had become nervous. He stared at the wild thing crouched in front of him and wondered if he had gotten in over his head. Come on, he thought to himself. This is just some little punk trying to make it big. Jack charged.
Jack was stocky, squat, and a bit slow. Wolfe used this to his advantage. Even thought he had a willowy thin frame, he knew where his own strengths lay. He easily side stepped Jack, grabbed his back, and slammed him face first into a wall. Wolfe pressed his face against Jack’s neck and whispered into his ear, “Get out of here. Leave me be. If you want to finish this, it will have to be later. I have more important things to do.”
Wolfe backed up and let go of Jack’s collar. Jack pushed himself off of the wall and began to stalk away. “You’re right. This isn’t over. I’ll be seeing you. Govi’s already in the process of finding out who you are, and when he does…”
Wolfe watched Jack leave in silence. He felt his body returning to normal as his fury dampened. He was now starved, and he had nothing to show for his troubles. He turned his attention to the little girl. She was oblivious to the world; Wolfe could hear her whispering a prayer. He advanced towards her slowly, so he wouldn’t startle her.
“It’s okay.” Wolfe’s voice was soothing. He placed a hand on her shoulder and squatted a bit, so he’d be at eye level. “You’re safe, now. That man’s not going to hurt you.”
Wolfe’s silent heart tugged at the tear-stained face of the little girl. She sniffled and stared at him with luminous eyes. He picked her up and shielded her from the view of the dead man as he carried her out of the alley.
© Copyright 2002 lily withers (lily_withers at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/593534-Olivia-2-Boys-Night-Out